Everyone Needs To Read This: You're Missing The Points

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

majors

Postby majors » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:27 pm

dickenschrader wrote:The genius about the show (and perhaps its recipe for success) lies in the fact that it manages to appeal to intellectuals with its deep social commentary --and its brilliant political satire-- while at the same time it has enough fart jokes and low-brow humor to appeal to the other 90% of the American population: Ignorant hicks.
South Park distracts the idiots with fart jokes so they can't see the strong messages that are being conveyed underneath, usually very strong criticism about everything that's wrong with the American society and the damage it's doing to the world. By doing this, they can get away with insulting any ignorant hick --including our president-- right in his face without him even realizing it.
But even though ignorant hicks don't get the real point (as we can see in this discussion), that doesn't mean they don't enjoy the show or have less of a right to watch it. They just enjoy a much thinner, much more superficial layer of humor.

I don't understand your problem with "hicks" just because someone speaks with a twang in their voice does not make them ingnorant. I hope you relize that alot of "hicks" are very aware of the strong criticism...and "hicks" relize we are being ripped on but unlike snoby new yorker(just in case you don't relize it i am making this board generalization to prove a point) we can laugh at ourselves and the stereotypes that Matt and Trey often protray. Over the years i have watched SP rip on on my religous belifs, my area of the country, and so on and so forth..and i have laughed at it all

oh and if you were wondering this "hick" has a masters degree
dickenschrader

Postby dickenschrader » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:56 pm

I'm sorry if I offended you with that word, right now I just hate hicks because of the ignorant hick we have for president. So don't take it personally. I'm not saying ALL hicks are ignorant, but most are.
Just make sure next time you insult me with a word you don't know (like "snobby" with a double "B") run it through a spell-checker first, otherwise you're just proving my point, professor.
cailindana

Postby cailindana » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:03 pm

JA, AGAIN, HALLO!

I live in Eire. I have SKy. I am on circa 2000 here and I only ever saw it for the first time in Oz in 99 when a bad ass Maoiri guy rugby tackled the tv on a Tuesday to get the double bill. Many's the night I came in after a door to door sales job like a MF bitch and I was likfe, WTFFFF is this?

I'm not quite sure but I like it and now we are SP Tuesday night, after that, cheap pints below in the bar we live over in the hostel buddies?

It's on MTV on A Sunday. No, hang on, CH4 -no more?

Sky1? Round and round and upside down on a Friday?? How in God's name could I ever coherently discuss any episode at all???

With my wine drinking/smoking/pub/hungover lifestyle?

I can't remember what I did yesterday nevermind what I saw 5 weeks ago.

YOU GUYS ARE ANORAKS.

YOU GUSY SHOULD GET OUT MORE...
Pog mo thoin
dickenschrader

Postby dickenschrader » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:06 pm

Listen, my parents are hicks, ok?
I come from Florida. I guess I'm a hick too and I have nothing against hicks.
I'm against ignorant hicks like our president. That's a different story.
nojo

Postby nojo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:16 pm

majors wrote:this "hick" has a masters degree

Well, that makes at least two of us pointy-headed intellectuals in here...

What I dispute is the notion that enjoying fart jokes and enjoying satire are mutually exclusive -- that I somehow can't enjoy both "high" and "low" humor simultaneously.

My own farts, of course, smell delicious.
dickenschrader

Postby dickenschrader » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:36 pm

Hey, I'm not putting myself as an intellectual either. I love fart jokes too.
And don't take it so seriously, guys.
I'm only ripping on the people who don't get the deeper meaning of the show, hick, or yankee, or spic like me (yes, I'm from Latin America and my parents moved to florida when I was a kid).
So just like mr. Garrison can use the word "fag," I can use both the word "hick" and "spic" because I'm a little bit of both...
Much more than a Yankee, considering I just moved up to New York a few months ago.
I'm not trying to offend anyone except STUPID PEOPLE who don't get the real joke.
Sorry if anyone got offended, I guess the word hick IS kind of heavy...
nojo

Postby nojo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:51 pm

dickenschrader wrote:I'm not trying to offend anyone except STUPID PEOPLE who don't get the real joke.

What about we smarties who do get the real joke, but in this case didn't find it funny?
cartman8213

Postby cartman8213 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:00 pm

dickenschrader wrote:it has enough fart jokes and low-brow humor to appeal to the other 90% of the American population: Ignorant hicks.

90%? wow i didnt know 9/10 of this country lived in the South.
For the record i dont hate hicks i hate the prejudice ones
Officially blending in with all the Cartman fans.
Thanks b489 and KTS for sig
handlyhamster

Re: EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THIS: YOU'RE MISSING THE POINTS

Postby handlyhamster » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:20 pm

I agree with most of what you said (re: first post in this thread), but you could also be over analysing. The same way hippies used to break down "Stairway o Heaven", forward and backward (heh), looking for some hidden meaning. I don't think they (writers) have an agenda to 'educate' the world with their deep debates on the show, I think that's incidental of their maturing and getting sick of writing fart jokes.

I think they read the paper (web) every day and say "thats so f*cking stupid - people are so dumb sometimes - let's rip on them" simply because they can AND make money doing it. (I want to be clear I didn't say they are doing it for the money - read the sentence again).

One would have to admit, being in their (writers) position would be very therapeutic and rewarding to rip on what annoys you the most.

With regards to Family Gay, Seth Mcfarlaine on the other hand may want to do the same thing, but maybe he's just not as smart as the SP writers. Maybe Seth is more of a one-line comedian, and M&T are just a little ahead in the thought arena.

Ok, just my .02 cents, Jew boy.
Last edited by handlyhamster on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mewster

Postby mewster » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:26 pm

Gothic_Butters wrote:fyi.. dude the last person who posted a thread with all caps got f'd in the a... thier [sic] thread was DESTROYED! mua ha ha

So, where's your outrage for this one?
I'm now known as Cartman's Top Enemy. Please make a note of it.
nojo

Postby nojo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:39 pm

handlyhamster wrote:Maybe Seth is more of a one-line comedian, and M&T are just a little ahead in the thought arena.

You're half right: Judging by the evidence, Seth likes gags for their own sake, M&T like satire.

Which is to say, there's really no point comparing the two shows, since they pursue different ends. (Yes, even when FG does a song about AIDS in four-part harmony, it's not attempting SP-style satire.)

Enjoy either, hate both, it's really a matter of comedic taste. But I wouldn't say one is smarter than the other, since they're both very smart at what they do.
joe casanave

Postby joe casanave » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:42 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmm............................................
ImageImageImage
majors

Postby majors » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:49 pm

Anyway people I think we kind of hijacked the tread...maybe we should get back on topic...this last episode was great and I really hope they do a part two. I am surprised that over the year’s people and groups have not learned that if you speak out about SP they are going to burn you (and prob more than once).
Kyle's_Marklar

Postby Kyle's_Marklar » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:53 pm

cowybuga wrote:READ THIS:

Why is it that nearly every comment on this board is so bland and inattentive to the show’s meaning? South Park has taken the most original path of evolution in the history of cartoons, comedies, and dare I even say TV shows. I think every new episode is one of their best. The shows success has been a straight 45 degree uphill climb in it’s quality, meaning, story structure, character development, etc. and consciousness of it’s self and its power. All the new episodes have been deep social commentaries written in their own unique well structured form presenting a third, logical point of view on mainstream controversies. They definitely have mastered the art of script writing (one of my favorite aspects) and storytelling. For those of us who have been watching since the beginning, we have seen the characters grow into firm ruminations in our minds. Now with such a sturdy foundation, they can do whatever they want with the show. And every week they argue both sides to the main issues of today’s society, making sure to point out how stupid people act. The mass crowd represents society, and it’s up to you to choose what side of the line than separates the boys you stand on.
The point(s) South Park is making in “Cartoon Wars” about Family Guy is in the comparisons of their humor. 1.) They know they insult people to no end, but they also have good reason and adamantly state their case. Family Guy for example, just makes insults for whatever random reason one could possibly find a justification for. “Oh yeah, I guess Tom Danson does sorta have a big forehead. (joke continues) Ha, I guess he can’t get laid by her for some Hollywood reason I’m not filled in on.” Half the time people don’t even know why they’re laughing. 2.) South Park is awake and fully conscious of its power, and uses that power to inform others. The viewers who look past the crudeness can see the moral messages presented. 3.) Its just not cool to produce something you know could possibly cause any citizen harmed. “Ugh, what about the Jew jokes and the Black and KKK, and blah blah blah.” Yeah, that’s all bad, but if you watch, the show points out everyone making those racist or ignorant remarks as stupid, uninformed and misguided. They believe, and agree Family Guy believes, freedom of speech is one of the most important values of our country, but you can’t just make a careless insult on a religion who have such a powerful split-opinion on America. If you want to make a statement on national television, you’ve got to have a damn good reason.
I just don’t understand why everyone isn’t discussing the meaning of the shows. Nearly every post is so arbitrary and thoughtless is can’t understand why I’m still reading. You guys should start a new forum for the discussion of each episodes meaning. Its so f*cking awesome when you really watch it.

-Brock

NOTE: I’m joining a Family Guy forum and posting this there as well.

If anyone from the South Park staff reads this, please email me. I really identify with your show and am very creative, intelligent, etc. I know they all say that. Really you just have to talk to me. I’m driving West soon with absolutely no plan, place, $ etc. I would get coffee all day for free, just anything to actually talk to someone. I know you would never normally do this, but seriously, please just take a chance. I won't tell anyone.
bspady@gmu.edu

But I don't care what Matt and Trey have to say about censorship or Family Guy. I watch SP because I want to laugh.
Remember... the more posts you have, the bigger your penis is!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”