Is South Park starting to suck?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Paladoris

Postby Paladoris » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:40 pm

It's just the world we live in, now. The adults acting ridiculous gag appears more and more in everyday life, I'm sure it's difficult to refrain from making a comment about it. And they have been on the air for 10 years, dude. Coming up with fresh ideas after that long must be tough, so they turn to satire. And they do it well. The kids have also been through quite a lot and learned a number of life lessons. It's probably even harder at this point to capture the boys' naivety that made the show so funny in earlier seasons. For example, the kids usually never understood what the hell Chef was singing about, and in ep. 1001, when asked what Chef liked to do before having sex with children, they reply with the very aware answer of "Having sex with women," showing that as time has passed, they fully understand the implications of "Making love down by the fire." Perhaps this is just a natural progression. And be patient, I'm sure they've got some episodes to appease you coming soon enough. They did acknowledge their preachiness in the last episode. Towelie's back, even. So...buck up! :D
The Lunatic25

Postby The Lunatic25 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:26 am

Well...I'm pretty sure Kenny understood, for the most part, of what Chef was singing about...but being poor and dying a hell of a lot, Kenny wasn't quite so apt in spreading around his info, was he?

Besides, the show itself has more or less always been dominated by social changes and behaviors...some recent, some not. Plus, in general the kids have a better grasp on reality then the adults ever did.
mdub87

Postby mdub87 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:35 am

I think South Park is still the best show on TV, but I prefer the style/humor of some of the older episodes from around seasons 3-5. "Jewbilee" is a great example- weird, stupid-sounding concept but it was f***ing hilarious. "Chinpokomon" is another great, classic M & T episode. I wish that today M & T would go back to their old style and lay off the current events, topical humor every once in a while. SP has actually become rather predictable (something it NEVER was before), because you know that the big news story of the week will probably be the subject of the show. Matt and Trey should focus a little more on the characters of SP- not only the boys, but the peripheral characters as well. And by the way, Towelie is back this week! This is exactly what I'm looking for! Catching up with some old, little-used characters. This episode should be awesome! Now only if Lemmiwinks would return...
"Yea bitch, school in summertime, open your f***in' ears n**** whore, I'll pop yo bitch ass!" - Fat Abbot
Butters Stotch100

Postby Butters Stotch100 » Tue May 16, 2006 10:14 am

For f*ck sake guys, dont post these kind of topics on this website.
If your going to say bad things about south park go to an anti-south park website. Everyone here loves south park for that is why they have joined.
So please DONT Post these topics on this website any more.

South Park ROCKS!!!
-pokie2u-

Postby -pokie2u- » Tue May 16, 2006 10:36 am

plain and simple. Matt and Trey have the wildest imagination and put it to good use when creating south park. no way! south park is not starting to suck! :D
Image Image Image
Dana the southparkateer

Postby Dana the southparkateer » Tue May 16, 2006 10:42 am

southpark is not starting to suck...its true that older episodes were funnier but that doesnt mean that sp is getting worse i still think season 10 is funny
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Tue May 16, 2006 4:49 pm

I'm finding the more satirical, topical humor to be a little more enjoyable than the simpler humor of seasons (aproximately?) 1-3ish(?). It's more thought-provoking, and dare I say mature? (LOLZ. Matt and Trey being mature...)

I dunno. It surprises me how people find the older episodes to be better than the newer ones. There are plenty of older episodes that I've seen about twice, and have no intent on really watching again. I guess it all boils down to personal preference.

So, in short, YES. YES IT WILL START TO SUCK. And you will have no more purpose in life aside from wangsting all over this BBS ;C
Butters1990

Postby Butters1990 » Tue May 16, 2006 4:53 pm

There has already been a few threads on this. And yes. It is. Tsst and Cartoon wars are the only decent comedy episodes in Season 10. The rest is just crap.
rankorder

Postby rankorder » Tue May 16, 2006 5:21 pm

kanichiwa wrote:There has already been a few threads on this. And yes. It is. Tsst and Cartoon wars are the only decent comedy episodes in Season 10. The rest is just crap.

Did you ever think that SP is evolving into something that you can't comprehend?

SP in not a kids show. It's a highly intelligent commentary on the world today. It's not for those of you who are under in your tweens and are looking for a Cartman, Stan, Kyle or Kenny fix.

It's better than ever.
[size=84:07170]You Can’t Hear the Fat Lady Because Diabetes Killed Her.[/size:07170]
Butters1990

Postby Butters1990 » Tue May 16, 2006 5:25 pm

Meh, Im 15 kid. But what i mean is there getting to political. But you wont understand. I find it hard to explain stuff to people.
butters489

Postby butters489 » Tue May 16, 2006 6:54 pm

Of course not. The only problem I had with SP is the show's appearance. I liked it better when it looked like crappy construction paper, but now it just looks too "computery." However, I am completely over it now.

Butters1990

Postby Butters1990 » Tue May 16, 2006 7:00 pm

Very True. But somtimes i just wish they would go back to the days of when Cartmans mom has sex with everybody, Cartman gets anal probe, Craig starts flipping everyone off, And who could forget the days where A Elephant Makes love to a pig.
Damn i miss those days.
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Tue May 16, 2006 8:36 pm

Because, I mean, TV MA means it's created specifically for your age group.

Either grow a freaking political opinion, or go turn MTV back on.

e_e;
Kyle_K321

Postby Kyle_K321 » Tue May 16, 2006 9:33 pm

South Park itself has addressed this issue twice:

1) In episode 607 "Simpsons Already Did It" - Cartman explains that the of course after 13years(?) the simpsons had done it all. Then chef pipes up and explains that even the simpsons ripped of ideas from other shows ie) twilight zone

2) In episode 704 "Cancelled" - I belive it was Kyle that said after 100 episodes a show become "stale"

I believe if you read between the line they are admitting that it is harder and harder to come up with new original ideas. I think they deserve credit for keeping the show going strong for 3+ season after making this admission.
Archie2nd

Postby Archie2nd » Tue May 16, 2006 10:24 pm

After seeing episodes like cartoon wars part 1 and tsst i still have my faith in south park. But i was dissapointed with 'The Return of Chef' It seemed that it was being vulgar for the sake of it, dont get me wrong, vulgar can be really funny, but theres a line where it's just....not funny. But south park has this thing, where you can say ' i didnt like this episode' look back at it, and laugh at soemthing you didnt previously laugh at. I still think South Park has a lot of life in it, i just wish they would drop the topical humour, as funny as it is. It only really works for America. Being a traditional tea sipping brit, the episodes we get (and when we get them) are out of date. Thats why episodes such as TSST are funnier because theyre more character driven.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”