south park vs. family guy (Now vs. The Simpsons too!)

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:22 am

Not to sound egotistical, but I've been told that my South Park fanfics resemble Matt and Trey's style. I probably could write an episode whenever Matt and Trey have that Million Little Fibers level of writer's block. :P

I can't write better than the writers of South Park, The Simpsons, and Futurama, but I'm better than the "writers" (if you can even call them that) of Family Guy. I don't need an ego to say that. FG's writing is just bad.
~*Amber*~

Postby ~*Amber*~ » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:20 pm

i ran a poll at my skool. i added up the votes, heres wat i got:

classic battle: simpsons wins. (the oldest cartoon on t.v. today. its gotten beaten 2 death tho.)
south park secend.
family guy last

most random: family guy wins.
south park secend
simpsons last.

most funny: south park wins.
family guy secend.
simpsons last. (like i said, it got beaten 2 death)

most inaporpate: south park wins.
family guy secend
simpsons last

cutest characters: south park wins
simpsons secend
family guy last

most viewed: south park wins
family guy secend
simpsons last. (very close.)

most stuff baughen: simpsons wins
family guy secend
south park last. (its hard getting south park stuff i should kno.)

most hated by parents: south park wins
family guy secend
simpsons last

most loved: south park wins
family guy secend
simpsond last

WHO WINS?
south park wins. (yay)
family guy secend
simpsons last
Boys just wanna have FUN!
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:30 pm

You know, I thought of something recently: the general premise of Family Guy is basically a ripoff of the South Park episode Flashbacks. I mean, yeah, South Park's flashbacks were mostly real flashbacks to older episodes, each with a slightly altered ending involving ice cream, but others were made up entirely. The way they transcended into the flashbacks was also very reminiscient of what Family Guy would begin doing months after Flashbacks aired. (I think Flashbacks aired around June of '98, and Family Guy's pilot episode, Death Has a Shadow, aired after the Superbowl in January of '99, and it takes nine months to make an episode, so it's possible I'm just over-analyzing this.) Of course, one joke from Flashbacks (the one where they have a flashback to earlier in the episode as if it was a distant memory) was reused in the Family Guy episode I Am Peter, Hear Me Roar... the whole thing with taking the mystery box over the boat. Yeah... just thought I'd add that. Family Guy probably didn't draw its inspiration from the South Park episode Flashbacks, but it's an interesting thought, right?
CartmanMills

Postby CartmanMills » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:17 pm

I must say, the Family Guy usage of the technique is, IMO, funnier than the South Park one. The South Park one was used for the story except everything came out eith the same conclusion (which got old although it was amusing), but the Family Guy one was totally out of place and just showed Peter as an idiot.
MCkormick2

Postby MCkormick2 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:29 am

I actually like American Dad. Of course, it's a highly politically-sided show, and you can't like it if you are a republican (even if you can laugh at yourself, I bet most republicans would find the constant propaganda and bashing annoying). In my opinion, it's better than Family Guy. I jjust don't get these two shows being advertised as something of envelope-pushers like South Park. If anything, they follow South Park's steps, making the jokes after South Park already made them, and took the possible hits.

About the Simpsons, the problem with most recent episodes, in my opinion, is that the characters have been trhought so much, it doesn't really make sense. "Oh, no, is Homer going to loose Marge this time? Homer lost his job at the nuclear plant, now what?!" - Even whe the plot is original, and I'm not saying it isn't, you know they've done worse.

A show nobody mentioned here is "Drawn Together". Even if it doesn't air in my country (and, from what I hear, it isn't very popular in the USA either), it may be put near South Park with it's political episodes and offensive jokes. The plot and the jokes, however, are much worse (I mean, they're all about making comparisons with a disease, or something).
This is not a sig.
kennykiller27

Postby kennykiller27 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:35 am

I love Drawn Together.
[img:57e85]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5223/kennykillersigqg9.jpg[/img:57e85]
Less Than Jake

Postby Less Than Jake » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:03 am

I'd vote Simpsons. Family Guy is funny the way I am funny, when I act/say really randumb stuff. Doesn't mean it's not funny though. Futurama is also awesome. South Park is creative and funny.
My job is making sigs.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:37 pm

MCkormick2 wrote:I actually like American Dad. Of course, it's a highly politically-sided show, and you can't like it if you are a republican (even if you can laugh at yourself, I bet most republicans would find the constant propaganda and bashing annoying). In my opinion, it's better than Family Guy. I jjust don't get these two shows being advertised as something of envelope-pushers like South Park. If anything, they follow South Park's steps, making the jokes [you]after[/you] South Park already made them, and took the possible hits.

About the Simpsons, the problem with most recent episodes, in my opinion, is that the characters have been trhought so much, it doesn't really make sense. "Oh, no, is Homer going to loose Marge this time? Homer lost his job at the nuclear plant, now what?!" - Even whe the plot is original, and I'm not saying it isn't, you know they've done worse.

A show nobody mentioned here is "Drawn Together". Even if it doesn't air in my country (and, from what I hear, it isn't very popular in the USA either), it may be put near South Park with it's political episodes and offensive jokes. The plot and the jokes, however, are much worse (I mean, they're all about making comparisons with a disease, or something).

I agree about American Dad. It's really not that bad a show, not like Family Guy anyway. There are some bad episodes, and the characters aren't very memorable, but there've been some good, solid, funny plots and episodes. Family Guy is just painful to watch these days. American Dad is nowhere near the league of South Park, The Simpsons, or Futurama, but it has entertained me from time to time. It's Family Guy that I really can't stand.
Tiggalow69

Postby Tiggalow69 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:56 am

i used to be a big family guy fan, but after watching Cartoon wars Cartman point out to me how sh*t family guy is compared to south park, the simpsons is a good show, but is far to repetative, south park is an will always be the best anamated show ever produced :twisted:
Tiggz
Butters_UK

Postby Butters_UK » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:21 pm

Simpsons= Boring and Crap
Family Guy= Hilarious
SP= Funniest program ever made!!

=]=]=]
Rooster_Costume

Postby Rooster_Costume » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:14 pm

Less Than Jake wrote:Family Guy is funny the way I am funny, when I act/say really randumb stuff.

Dude, shut up. First you tell everyone how good you are at making sigs, then you tell us how randomly funny you are. e__e

And ~*Amber*~, I would appreciate if you took that "BBS' biggest Cartman fan" thing out of your sig. Having that in there makes you look....stupid. (I know this is totally irrelevant to the topic, but I felt I had to mention it.)
Tiggalow69 wrote:i used to be a big family guy fan, but after watching Cartoon wars Cartman point out to me how sh*t family guy is compared to south park, the simpsons is a good show, but is far to repetative, south park is an will always be the best anamated show ever produced :twisted:

Go back home. Matt and Trey are probably worried sick wondering where you had gone. Why weren't you with all of the others?
PM me for my AIM SN. Lurkers are a bitch.
FaShiznor117

Postby FaShiznor117 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:50 am

Yes, old topic. But I just had to reply.

South Park is simply the funniest show. It also has depth with characters, especially. What show can live on with a main character dead for a whole season? South Park.

Family Guy was a good show. I can't deny it that. But I think Cartoon Wars hit it on the head with the random flashbacks. Random is funny in extreme moderation and in the right situation. It also has more fanboys because it's on fox and it gets advertised up the butt. "FG is so brutally honest and it pushes the envelope so hard." No. Now it sucks.

Simpsons is definitely the base for FG. That's obvious. It's also better. So is Futurama. AD just sucks, though.

To keep it simple:

South Park>Futurama>Simpsons>Family Guy>American Dad
southparkmaster777

Postby southparkmaster777 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:01 pm

I just have one thing to say about this topic.........
South Park is the best ever!!!!!!
love*metal

Postby love*metal » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:34 pm

My vote goes to South Park. Sure I like The Simpsons and Family Guy, But South Park is the one which stays original, Which many shows are finding hard these days. Matt and Trey are genius to make the show work for so long and I hope they continue for many years to come :D
Timecist

Postby Timecist » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:31 pm

South Park is by far the best, most intelligent, and funniest. Simpsons is very good though I rarely watch it. I've seen Family Guy a few times and it never really grabbed my attention, it was literally the way it was portrayed in SP... a show with random jokes and no real substance.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”