south park vs. family guy (Now vs. The Simpsons too!)

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

disorientedbliss

Postby disorientedbliss » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:49 am

I have this debate with my friends all the time. They favor family guy I favor South Park.

So this is what we essentially break it down to.

They favor Family Guy because of the ridiculous flashbacks which take up literately half of the show.

As far as the Simpson's they favor that because it's a classic and has maintained on the air for so long.

Personally I am a fan of the Simpson's but when it comes to a comparison to south park i would by far choose south park. Maybe its because my generation grew up more with South Park since its early years, but what ever the core reason i adore south park. And going onto family guy, i can honestly say it does make me chuckle but not even remotely close to how much i bust out when i watch south park.

Really can any other animated comedy compare?
fastfoodboy13

Postby fastfoodboy13 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:57 am

well I think Simpsons, though being better years ago..it seems to have lost its, how can i say this ,"flare" its kinda trying to compete with family guy's growing popularity....

Now Family guy was and is one of my favorite shows BUT it is also trying to compete with south park soo its losing its flare also...slowly very slowly

Now South park Is wonderful......no doubt about it, but well i guess thee reall isnt a but...

am i right or what?
disorientedbliss

Postby disorientedbliss » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:14 am

i cant agree with a majority of that.
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:25 am

fastfoodboy13 wrote:its kinda trying to compete with family guy's growing popularity....

Except... you know... The Simpsons still beats Family Guy in the ratings on Sunday nights.

I love how in that blog they mention that the FG guys are the ones saying crap about Matt and Trey, and they don't mention that the Simpsons writer did.

And honestly, South Park still is my favourite, and I do prefer that show... But I will easily admit that a lot of earlier Simpsons episodes are better than... well... most everything else on TV. It's just higher quality and it really set the stage for prime time and more adult-geared animation. And the newer episodes aren't as good as the older ones, true, but I still say they beat Family Guy easy. They aren't as bad as people keep on making them out to be.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:22 am

iceiwynd wrote:They [the newer episodes] aren't as bad as people keep on making them out to be.

Thank you! The new Simpsons episodes might be lackluster in comparison to the old episodes, but they're not bad by any means! A few of them are kinda mediocre, there might occasionally be a boring episode that I don't much care for, but every so often, an episode will air that's absolutely masterful! Even the ones that are less than godlike are still entertaining in their own right. They're certainly not the "god awful crap" that so many people claim that they are. That title is more fitting of the new Family Guy episodes, and I don't exaggerate when I say that my brain actually hurts when I try to watch any episode of Family Guy from the last year and a half or so. Even the old episodes of Family Guy weren't that intelligent, but they were at least funny enough to sit through. The new episodes are repetitive, unfunny, and annoying. Family Guy is one show that has crashed and burned, and yet people continue to go on about how The Simpsons is stale, it's been on the air too long, it's jumped the shark--and yet I'm more entertained by The Simpsons in its 18th season than I am by Family Guy in its 5th season, or even in its 4th season. I can actually sit through a bad episode of The Simpsons because even at its worst, it's still bearable. I really, truly believe that Seth MacFarlane has deliberately sold the show out due to the fact that its popularity is overwhelming and that it doesn't matter if it's any good or not because people will eat it right up.

I didn't mean to make this post so long, so I'm just going to shut up here. Conclusion: The Simpsons in 18 consecutive years is funnier than Family Guy in 5 non-consecutive years (you'd think the writers could've come up with decent material during that 3-year hiatus, eh?)
kylelover52610

Postby kylelover52610 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:20 pm

Ok, now I am speaking more about the kids I hang around in my school of 1800.
I am probably the only South Park fan, up against 1799 other students. They acctually call me "South Park" in school. 8)
I have 1 DIE-HARD Simpsons fan, and that would be my English teacher. But I personally could care-less about the Simpsons, I don't find it to be very funny myself.
I will quote from the kids here, "South Park is boring, and Family Guy is hilarious, Stewie is mah N****!!" :shock:

I personally don't agree, I like Family Guy sure, but no South Park is NOT boring, and to me, Family Guy just can't compare to South Park's originality.
That's my opinion, and I am interested in finding feedback.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:58 pm

The Simpsons: well-written, funny in a more subtle manner than South Park
South Park: hilarious, intelligent, not as well-written as The Simpsons but still good
Family Guy: hilarious for the first three seasons, kinda funny for the first half of the fourth season, complete crap after that, poorly written since the beginning, unintelligent, unoriginal

My rankings:
1. South Park
2. The Simpsons
3. Family Guy

There's a narrow margin between the first two and a huge f*ckin' gap between the last two.
patrickov

Postby patrickov » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:54 pm

Really, I would rank South Park the first, and frankly this is the single American cartoon show that I had the mood to watch it season over season... originally because of the swearing, and now Butters.

Actually some of my friends recommended Family Guy to me but I just couldn't take up my mood to even try it. To the least extent the drawings simply don't attract me.

I have watched the Simpsons but it can be too... eh... difficult to understand in my point of view. Groening's other work, Futurama, was actually easier to understand.
candies

Postby candies » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:38 pm

Wait The Simpsons got like their season 18 or 19 and they going to have their movie in june 21 and they're going to be over? I'd be hearing rumers that the Simpsons will be gone after they'll do their movie. Anyways, South Park and The Simpsons are very hard to choose from and they do have better characters and storylines ( If I mistaking) So yea, SouthPark has to be the number one best animation and SouthPark has the highest rating on TV.com and IMB, basily the Simpsons does have video games, DVD, watches, toys, and much more does SouthPark has.

My vote goes to.......SouthPark and The Simpsons!

As for Family Guy.......Please get this horrible show cancelled, I really hate their immature jokes. Why Family Guy is so freakin popular anyways? They don't have any emmy's awards or peabody like SouthPark, The Simpsons and even king of the hill has. :?
Xandir: And the important we are together, Draw toge--(Gets hit by the head)

Mr.Garrison: You go to Hell, You go to Hell and you die!
MCkormick2

Postby MCkormick2 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:34 pm

Aw, who cares?! At least, they're all better then reality TV crap. I mean, sure, South Park is great, but it's only 14 episodes per season. Does anyone really thinks there's not enough time in their lifes to watch both shows? I mean, there's people watching a hour-long American Idol three times a week.

It reminds me so much of the Superman versus Captain Marvel legal battle. Can't all adult cartoons just get along and fight against the real enemy: Family friendly sitcoms and Gilmore Girls?
This is not a sig.
dwmjr1985

Why people like FG

Postby dwmjr1985 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:20 pm

the reason they like family guy better is because there isnt any message in the show. As most of you have stated its just sensless humor.
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:31 pm

family guy used to be funny, but their 15 minutes of fame are up
Cool_Shan

Postby Cool_Shan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:36 pm

South park is way more easier to understand if you are british because, they have soo many american jokes in family guy that no british person would understand.
And of course family guy's jokes aren't to the plot line and most of the time are not funny. So my vote is to Southpark!
(Oh yeah and cartoon wars lol priceless)
Big Will wrote:
Goddamn you people suck. Especially Cool_Shan
killkennyagain2000101

Postby killkennyagain2000101 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:17 pm

South Park ripped the piss out of Family Guy. That's not what I have a problem with.. well, now. It's the fact that they tried to make it out that it was the right thing to do and everyone feels that way. And on here, this thread is full of "ooh Family Guy sucks because Trey/Matt said so" or just copy someone else' thoughts. While the current season may not be the best just now, the entire "random humour is gay" arguement really gets old when it's repeated constantly... If it really was that bad, it wouldn't get ratings, nobody would buy the dvd's etc.

It's all about opinion, really. But I think they're referring to the fact that whenever South Park touches on a subject, they and it's viewers assume that this is the truth and nobody else can say anything else.

i think that family guy is funnier and most people do too and if you dont believe me look at the ratings. and even if south park is funnier, at least family guy isnt rascist like southpark.
krunchyfrogg

Postby krunchyfrogg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:37 pm

I find Family Guy very funny, but at the same time it really seems to be trying to offend people.

I watched one last night making 9/11 jokes. It's still too soon IMO to be making jokes about that.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”