South Park: The Musical?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

chewy_copp

South Park: The Musical?

Postby chewy_copp » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:12 pm

I've always dreamed, but what do you think if South Park was made into a full length Broadway musical? Do you think it'd be good, and would you go see it?
Lu lu lu, I got some apples . . .
Athena1999

Postby Athena1999 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:48 pm

Erm... actually, this article is pretty interesting (thanks to the Scriptorium, from April 28, 2004):

They Killed Kenny -- Live (The Tufts Daily, MA) - A live stage version of the movie, but not as raunchy. "South Park the Musical: Bigger, Longer, and Live" is an irreverent, laid-back riff on an irreverent, laid-back film. It's a fun story sprinkled with expletives, and potty humor. So while that may not be for everyone, the talent of the cast and crew working with the low budget and less-than-ideal space is worth a watch alone.
[/quote]
nutmeg218

Postby nutmeg218 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:23 am

Uh. I personally don't think that South Park would make a good Brodway Musical. I mean, there isn't anything really to do for the musical, they don't do anything crazy or special like they do in musicials. I might be crazy for denying a musical, though if they did make one, i would probably go to it if they came to my town or if I ever went to New York or wherever it was at the time.
Though no one thought they would ever make a Monty Python musical on the Holy Grail, and they came along with Spamalot, so you never know, for South Park's case.
Kennyrox666

Postby Kennyrox666 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:04 am

A South Park musical...that would be interesting. Yeah, I'd pay to see that. You never know what they can pull off, and I think they'd probably do a pretty good job with it.
Ok, who stold my stuff...?
gregh2k5

Postby gregh2k5 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:28 pm

nutmeg218 wrote:Uh. I personally don't think that South Park would make a good Brodway Musical. I mean, there isn't anything really to do for the musical, they don't do anything crazy or special like they do in musicials. I might be crazy for denying a musical, though if they did make one, i would probably go to it if they came to my town or if I ever went to New York or wherever it was at the time.
Though no one thought they would ever make a Monty Python musical on the Holy Grail, and they came along with Spamalot, so you never know, for South Park's case.

Dude, what are you talking about? South Park would make a GREAT musical. The movie itself was designed as a musical. At one point they conglomerate each individual song into one song with the devil, mrs. broflovski, the kids, and everyone else singing separate songs at once -- and it sounds good. That's about as "crazy and special" as it gets in a musical. I personally would love to see it.
I don't have to conform to everyone else and make a signature!!! oh... sh*t!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:49 pm

If an official one is made, don't expect real kids or actors wearing huge masks/helmets on their heads.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Athena1999

Postby Athena1999 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:28 pm

^That would be strange, actually.

But on the other hand, it also would be difficult finding people with the right facial features and whatnot, because a lot of the proportions and everything are impossible to achieve on a regular person. So they're going to have to modify some things for certain characters, but I think the kids should just be played by adults with the right voices.
chewy_copp

Postby chewy_copp » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:54 am

Well, they don't really have to have the correct facial features (except for Cartman, of course :) ). And of course I'm not expecting huge helmets. I'm not an idiot! I've seen 8 Broadway shows! I think the characters could be played by young adults (like 20 year olds) or older teens (possibly) . . .
Schantrac

Postby Schantrac » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:24 pm

South Park a musical eh? I could see that happening.. it would be tough though.
No moar sig lolz.

Until I make a better one anyways.

My soundclick profile.
deathandecay

Postby deathandecay » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:07 am

Schantrac wrote:South Park a musical eh? I could see that happening.. it would be tough though.

Specially for terrance and philip and other canadians.
MissingOctober

Postby MissingOctober » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:11 pm

Athena1999 wrote:^That would be strange, actually.

But on the other hand, it also would be difficult finding people with the right facial features and whatnot, because a lot of the proportions and everything are impossible to achieve on a regular person. So they're going to have to modify some things for certain characters, but I think the kids should just be played by adults with the right voices.

I think kids would actually fit the roles the most, provide the cuteness, but I think if kids were to perform on Broadway doing multiple shows a night that would be child cruelty ( I can't think of the word, sorry). I don't know. How many parents would let their children curse every night? How many kids would want to memorize a dozen songs? I mean, besides the gay ones.. Lol.

I think it would be better to see the Musical in the form of a movie, i.e. BLU. I'd like that. I like seeing the cartoon characters we all know and love sing. Cartman especially! :cartmansmirk:
kennykiller27

Postby kennykiller27 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:21 pm

That would be odd.
[img:57e85]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5223/kennykillersigqg9.jpg[/img:57e85]
BassloopUK

Postby BassloopUK » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:40 pm

i hate to be a negative nancy, but the idea sucks. child performers piss me off and i hear kids swearing all the time so it wouldn't have much novelty value for me. we all saw Robin Williams doing his 'Blame Canada' song, and that sucked ass too. i really don't see what would be so good about it.
chewy_copp

Postby chewy_copp » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:31 am

MissingOctober wrote:
Athena1999 wrote:^That would be strange, actually.

I think kids would actually fit the roles the most, provide the cuteness, but I think if kids were to perform on Broadway doing multiple shows a night that would be child cruelty ( I can't think of the word, sorry). I don't know. How many parents would let their children curse every night? How many kids would want to memorize a dozen songs? I mean, besides the gay ones.. Lol.

I think it would be better to see the Musical in the form of a movie, i.e. BLU. I'd like that. I like seeing the cartoon characters we all know and love sing. Cartman especially! :cartmansmirk:

Well, in most cases, when it comes to child actors, there are usually two or three different sets of children who switch off every performance. I never liked it that way, but sometimes it's what has to be done. Frankly, one they parents find out how much money they egt per week, cursing woulnd't be an issue . . . :lol:

Return to “General South Park Discussion”