Star Trek references in every episode?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

myurkus

Star Trek references in every episode?

Postby myurkus » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:52 am

I'm a pretty big Start Trek (and South Park) fan. I have noticed that in almost every single episode there seems to be a Star Trek reference. In fact, I've noticed it in almost episode I have seen (and I have seen all of them.)

Given that I may have missed some jokes, do you think it is possible that there is intentionallly a Star Trek reference in every episode? (...Perhaps it is a long running joke with Trey and Matt?)

I apologize if this has been discussed before; I'm new to this forum and did not find anything from Searching topics.

Thanks a ton in advance for any thoughts/insights!
MikeY
myurkus

Postby myurkus » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:59 am

I apologize, I probably should have put this in Q&A. I am a regular on a few other message boards and know how it is when newbies come in starting threads that are out of place. (So for now I'll just leave this in here and not start another one.)

Still I have been wondering this for years and finally started an account here just to get some insight if possible.

Thanks much!
cartman8213

Postby cartman8213 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:10 am

I'm glad you have correct grammar, and think about what you post, but you should know from other forums: Please don't double post. Just use the edit function.

I haven't really seen that many Star Trek episodes; in fact I haven't sat through a whole episode. I don't see any Star Trek references that are incredibly obvious to a non-Star Trek viewer, but you should find something out about that. This might be a good question for the FAQ.
Officially blending in with all the Cartman fans.
Thanks b489 and KTS for sig
myurkus

Postby myurkus » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:40 am

I apologize for the double-post; it's actually not a feature on most of the message boards I frequent. (Many times I have wished that it was a feature!) It's amazing, even when trying to be careful, it really is tough to correctly post on a new message board.

Anyway, thank you for the FAQ idea; I did not even see that option! I just tried submitting a question over there.

As far as the references themselves, I have always thought that part of the genius of the show is that they blend in external allusions so well that it is usually impossible to notice unless you understand it. Unlike Family Guy; where a missed reference just leaves the watcher completely bewildered.
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:59 pm

I can't place them in EVERY episode, just a bunch. XD I mostly only catch the multitude of TOS episodes cause I really only watch TOS. I know there was a TNG movie reference in Follow That Egg, though.

All of the fourbajillions of references make me love South Park even more. :3 Star Trek is one of my many loves.

I suggest the FAQ as well. :d It's a good question.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:48 pm

Hey Will, don't you have a list of all Star Trek references somewhere on your site? I thought I remember seeing that somewhere. Can't seem to find it though.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:38 am

Well, a couple obvious ones are Captain Pike's chair in Pre-School and of course them playing Star Trek in Passion Of The Jew. I don't know about every episode having a reference, but there's no way I could pick out every single one anyway.
myurkus

Postby myurkus » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:49 am

Actually if someone has a starting point I would be happy to start compiling an initial list of references. Are there any resources out there similar to snpp for Simpsons that include episode capsules? (Perhaps this site you are speaking of has such information?) I have been mentally keeping track of them for years now, I don't think it will take more than a few hours to go through my DVDs and the transcripts and pick out the ones I know. (Or at least to put together an initial list.)

Oh and it looks like Trey/Matt have not been answering the FAQ for over a month now, so I am not expecting a response over there. Oh well, bad timing I guess. (Heh, I suppose it was ludicrous of me to even think I would come on here out of nowhere and get a response from them.)

Thanks all!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:35 am

triplemultiplex wrote:Hey Will, don't you have a list of all Star Trek references somewhere on your site? I thought I remember seeing that somewhere. Can't seem to find it though.

Yes, both Star Wars and Star Trek references. I'll have to update those. Send me anything I'm missing at my email addy. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
butters489

Postby butters489 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:14 pm

I've never watched Star Trek, but I remember reading about these somewhere. These are the only Star Trek references I remember:

Preschool -Ms. Claridge's wheel chair.

City on the Edge of Forever - The title, and that little kid in the red shirt.

Roger Ebert Should Lay of the Fatty Foods- There's a phrase in latin that says "Beam Me Up, Scotty."

Those are the ones I can remember..........

Return to “General South Park Discussion”