South Park in Japanese

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

SerialGoth

Postby SerialGoth » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:38 pm

I wish I knew someone who spoke Japanese so they could watch it with me and tell me how literal the translations are; I can't imagine how much of the humor might be lost. Even though I know about 3 phrases in Japanese, I watched the John Edward episode on You Tube and it was hilarious, especially the part at the end when he wins the "Biggest Douche In The Universe" award and the emcee sings to him. I would really love to know how that song in particular translated, lol.
What do you fear most?
TP: Germans.
MS: That's not a bad f*cking fear, I must say.
TP: They're going to freak out and try it again.
DevilAngel16

Postby DevilAngel16 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:25 pm

Oneirogenic wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5EnbUBH2KQ

Search " サウスパーク " on youtube to find more :3

Edit: I went through my favorites to find more : D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDXPRIzCQh8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSzzQwUX1xQ

XDDDD Those made me smile. The theme song is really cool in Japanese! The voice actor who does Cartman's voice in Japanese is pretty good at it. It's very fitting, and it reminds me of his real voice just a bit. Kyle's voice is pretty good too, but Stan's doesn't really sound like him. And Butters' voice is definitely the most adorable in Japanese. ^^
Cerisa_Roz

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:28 am

Something I only recently learned: The SP movie was dubbed BEFORE the series, and the entire cast was different (which means no Kappei Yamaguchi as Kyle? I could've sworn it sounded similar..?).

I've been trying to unsuccessfully put the Japanese SP Wikipedia section on it through different translators, and it either fails or comes up in gibberish.

One translator I put it through though, yielded these seiyuu names for the boys..

Stan: Ueda Yuki
Kyle: Kusumi Kaoru
Cartman: Yanagihara Tetsuya
Kenny: Katayama Junko

I'm not sure how accurate the translation is though, so does anyone have an actual translation for the Wiki article? I'm kind of interested in knowing which VAs voiced the characters. The movie was also recorded in the Kansai dialect, while the series wasn't.

I'm interested in who voiced Gregory as well, as DAMN..his singing voice is DEEP (moreso than here). Terrance and Phillip don't sound as..enthusiastic or 'animated' as they do here in the movie, IMO.
bubbletree

Postby bubbletree » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:35 am

Those SP eps in any language are awesome!
TaroRoot

Re: South Park in Japanese

Postby TaroRoot » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:48 pm

I am pretty sure that you can get any that have been aired on CCentral in Japan. They are available somewhere... winkwink. Certainly BLU is available somewhere with voiceovers.

My big question really is WHY? Take any text and put it through a translator to any language and bring it back again and you wind up with trash. That is what happens with voice overs. Someone translates the meanings... usually poorly... then the actor has to make it fit some motion on the screen... and thereby "interprets" the situation and rhythm. And then the actor, who is after all a voice actor, not a super genius, has to impart nuance based on the context and the rest of the script, which they probably read the night before.

And South Park is chock full of context.

So aside from sounding cute, there is little value there in any sense of the word. Suffice it to say that I COULD watch it with Japanese voiceovers, but choose not to. Do you have any idea how lucky you are to hear Matt and Trey do it?
They conceived the characters.
They know the entire history of the show.
They wrote some of the script.
They conceived the voices.
They actually say the words as they were meant to be said.
I think that the animation was actually done FOR the voice.

You want to trade that for a third hand interpretation of a second hand script by a third rate actor who has never lived in the US, let alone Colorado?
Wow.

By the way, Trey's Japanese is really good. Maybe you watch Heroes? Hiro Nakamura is native. Ando is not good...he is actually Chinese. George Takei (Sulu) is surprisingly good, but non-native. Trey's Japanese is about on a par with George Takei as far as spoken ability goes.
Jirachi Chick

Re:

Postby Jirachi Chick » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:08 pm

Rebecca_Cutswald wrote: I've also seen pink hand bags for sale in bootleg japanese/chinese stores with south park characters all over them.

OMG, that sounds so awesometastic. I want one now. :mrgreen:
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:49 am

TaroRoot wrote:
My big question really is WHY?
Because it's fun to hear in a different language? BLU is funny, but it's funnier in German, though Kenny's dubs suck ass, he sounds like a four year old.

Do you have any idea how lucky you are to hear Matt and Trey do it?
They conceived the characters.
They know the entire history of the show.
They wrote some of the script.
They conceived the voices.
They actually say the words as they were meant to be said.
I think that the animation was actually done FOR the voice.
So? That doesn't mean we can't look at other sounds too.
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
likethis_youdobitch

Postby likethis_youdobitch » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:47 am

You're all silly BAKAS if you think that South Park is made in stupid AMERICA! HA! I laugh at your pathetic non-Japanese minds.

You see, all things are made in the Land of the Rising Sun. Even you, silly fantard-chans.

OMG SENSEI ^________^ NYROOOOOOOOoOOooOooO SUPERHAPPYFUNJAPAN!!!1!!1!! ^^; ^^; ^^; ^^; DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU

[/dfg]

Things that are dubbed in different languages often suck. Like Death Note, which sucked when it was dubbed in English, especially because Cerisa_Roz wouldn't shut up about it for the entire duration of the airing, from the first episode to the last.

I'll stick to English, kthnxbai. Unless I don't want to..

But no Japanfun South Park. No. I would have thought that after the Chinpokomon episode the Japanese would have refused to do business with them XD
TaroRoot

Postby TaroRoot » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:17 am

Actually, I know that very few animated shows are actually made in the US, but I believe that SP is. Probably almost 100%. Maybe 100%.

Probably you all know this... Usually, Disney for example, will do the story boards and important parts of scenes, and then send the rest to... it used to be Korea... for filling in, or illustration of interstitial scenes. It is probably done in India now. If you want a "great job" and you are between 16 and 20, go be an in-betweener in Southern California. You will draw the same picture over and over 300 times and get paid about what an Indian person would. Of course most of that is automated now, so the science stays in America, and the art emigrates to India. A close friend from college moved up from an in-betweener at Disney to a producer of a film you have all seen. It can happen. haha.

A lot of the Japanese stuff is shopped to Korea, even the famous stuff. Frankly, there is so much Japanese crappy animation over here that people watch ToonAmi or whatever. I do not think that the really funny stuff gets to the US or that it is dubbed well when it gets there. I am sure that people who SAY they like Japanese animation far outnumber the people who really do, and that the ratio is 10 times higher in the US than in Japan.

This is a little old, but has anyone in the US seen Keroro Gunso? I think that is dead funny in the original Japanese, but it would not translate well. I do not know how the voices could be done correctly in English.

Finally, I am not sure why the voices are "cuter" in other languages. I guess some people are attracted to that in Japanese speech, especially by women, but you know that it is affected and fake, right? The yakuza boss speech, the cute high school girl speech, all of that stereotyped stuff is not real. Southpark does not seem childish in that way. I have heard people speak like Mr. Slave, Stan, Kyle, the principal, etc. in the US, so giving them an overly stylized voice detracts from those characters as they have been conceived, IMHO. So knock yourself out if you want to hear them in Japanese, but I prefer the original English in absolutely every way. If I needed the J, I would take subtitles, definitely.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”