Republicans for Southpark.. are you out there???

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Adorno
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:59 pm

Postby Adorno » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:06 pm

KennyStanWendyFan wrote: Their stance is more of the "common sense" variety, not the "decide your political ideology and then stop thinking altogether and start preaching whatever views are associated with your chosen political ideology" persuasion.


At my university there's SO MANY people like that. :cartmansopissedrightnow: That annoys me more than anything else, people who hold strong views on things but can't back it up with any arguments, they just believe it because they're supposed to. I don't mind people who have radically different views to me as long as they aren't just "rebels without a clue".

I guess politically I swing both ways, no party really completely covers my viewpoint, but I think I'm probably more conservative.
Last edited by Adorno on Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dromlarid
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 7:00 pm

Postby Dromlarid » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:43 am

I'm a Republican, but more of a Guiliani Republican. I find myself agreeing with SP a lot, but there of course times I don't. Either way, it's hilarious.

Oh, and I too love how all the 9/11 retards are coming out of the woodwork with their WTC 7 and lack of knowledge on fundamental physics or engineering.
gregh2k5
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:18 pm

Postby gregh2k5 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:42 pm

Actually there are two variables in politics: Economics and Morality. Trey & Matt are libertarians, which means they are against legislating morality (which is what most liberals agree with -- except for a certain breed of liberalism which I disagree with)... and also they are for economic freedom (rebublicans), which means they are anti-lawsuits (Cartman's silly little hate-crime), and think that big businesses aren't necessarily a bad thing (the starbucks episode with tweak).

But what I completely disagree with is the Morality side of republicans. I agree with libertarians in that the only thing that should be illegal is that which infringes on the rights of others. That means I don't like government restrictions on drugs, guns, smoking laws, alcohol laws, prostitution, gambling, and gay marriage. And Matt & trey have had plenty of episodes siding with me on that one --- if you need me to go into detail I will, but if you're a sp fan you already know.

So to respond to your original post, they side with both democrats and republicans, but disagree with both of them on another level (and I do too)
I don't have to conform to everyone else and make a signature!!! oh... sh*t!
MCkormick2
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:37 pm

Postby MCkormick2 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:31 pm

Professor Butters wrote:
Hmmm. I guess for lack of a better word, I'd have to say "liberal." However, I do have a sense of humor and I totally get why the "standard" liberal POV pisses people off. Heck, we piss *me* off sometimes. Most of my family are liberals but some of them are just so self-righteous that you'd swear they had had a humorectomy. I get tired of the sanctimoniousness and just want to go watch *cartoons* for heaven's sake.

I really *am* a professor at a state school and I consider it my duty to be absolutely totally neutral on politics and religion as much as I possibly can. Doesn't seem fair to me to pay for a course on history or accounting or whatever and then get something else crammed down your throat. So sometimes it is a relief to just sit back and listen to Cartman mouth off.

~~Professor Butters


Well, back here where I live, things are even worse. College professors, who write aptitude tests, are often left wing, and many Sociology/Filosofy questions have biased answers. This menas, for one thing, that people who tend to go to the left are more likely to enter college (and many guidance couselors know that, and advice the students to answer with a left-winged point of view).

When I was in 9th grade, my filosofy teacher had us do a report on right-wing/nationalist references in american media, like movies, news and comic books. I got stuck with comic books. Not caring about my score, I refused to do the report. Being somewhat a fan of comic books, I could say for sure they were not part of pro-american propaganda, even if they would appear to be for someone who doesn't know the history of comics. Man, filosophy pisses me off.

Back to the subject... South Park is a right-wing show. American Dad is left-wing. But, still, many of South Park's ideas are mainly directed at freedom of speech, wich is both criticized and defended by all political parties (while most liberals would shun sexist jokes, several conservatives would take offense to religious themed jokes). However, even when you see George Bush's behavior on the show, he looks a lot less like the mumbling retard that is portrayed in left wing shows like American Dad, or the news.

I guess it would be impossible for a political comedy to follow blindly only one party. But, even if I disagree with some of South Park's most recent ideas (such as the ban on stem cell research) I still like the show. I found it interesting how they compared the theory of evolution, defended mainly by liberals, with the reality of 9/11, accepted by conservatives. That sentence is the core of South Park polithics.
This is not a sig.
Hall Monitor
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:56 pm

Postby Hall Monitor » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:39 pm

[quote="gregh2k5"] That means I don't like government restrictions on drugs, guns*, smoking laws, alcohol laws, prostitution, gambling, and gay marriage. quote]

Er, Im from England and so I don't even have the choice anymore. Conservative, Labour, they're the same thing. And unfortunately they're both of the token liberal extraction. What I mean by this is that they are of certain worthy beliefs, but because they believe themselves to be in the right from their lofty moral standpoint, they believe that anybody who disagrees with them is wrong and doesn't deserve to be heard. Race, religion, sexuality, these are all governable by the bland middle-classes who now run our country. For instance, one of the most marginalised people now are - no, not religious extremists, but people who smoke cigarettes. The filthy animals!

Which may not be a particularly big thing in the state, but in the UK is huge. Basically, the only recognisable culture we have left in Britain is our inns (pubs) which are now dying so that people can sit eating rocket salads and tofu, drinking organic ale and sneering at people who choose to read tabloids and puff away on cigarettes. So the end of hundreds of years of culture. Which is obviously a "good" thing right? I agree with what most people have said here that common sense and tolerance are basically the only political views I hold dear. And I don't mind it when my friends smoke cigarettes in front of me, even though it's WRONG

*Although I'm not sure about guns.....hehe
KennyStanWendyFan
Posts: 7905
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:14 am

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:46 pm

South Park certainly is refreshing considering the number of left wing shows out there, and yet it manages to not just be the complete opposite. They make fun of Bush, sure, but not with the same old clichés that we've been hearing for years like what we get on American Dad, or even worse, Barbra Streisand's lame jokes that make no sense. "What are you going to do about the debt?" "Sell Canada! They're only using half of it!" What the f*ck is supposed to mean!? It just proves Barbra Streisand doesn't know sh*t about politics and should shut the f*ck up. But yeah, South Park, like I said before, is all about common sense. As another person stated, they are against the idea of legislation based on morality (i.e. gay marriage, gambling, drinking, smoking, etc.) At the same time, they don't think the media has a right to lie to get kids to stay away from drugs (My Future Self n' Me), they don't think corporations are necessarily bad (Gnomes), and if a community feels a corporation has gotten too powerful, the answer is simply to not give that corporation your business, as the customer is the heart of any corporation (Something Wall-Mart This Way Comes). They're all for freedom of speech (Cartoon Wars) and feel that religion should not dictate our way of life (various religious episodes), yet they also feel that religion is not necessarily a bad thing and we shouldn't try to ban religious symbols because they offend people (Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo) and we should respect other people's religions no matter how ridiculous they might seem (All About Mormons) unless we're talking about a dangerous cult, which needs to be stopped (The Super Best Friends, Trapped in the Closet, The Return of Chef). They believe in the rights of animals (Fun With Veal) but are against environmental radicalism (Douche and Turd, Free Willzyx). At times they might seem insensitive towards the environment (Rainforest Shmainforest), but they do feel it should be protected, you just don't have to be smug about it (Smug Alert!) So yeah, it's hard to define Matt and Trey as Democrat or Republican. The bottom line is, they think, they rationalize, and then they conclude. They base their positions on reason and common sense, not on morality or emotions or a bunch of completely ridiculous bullcrap. There are so many other things I could cite from so many other episodes, but I think I've gotten the point across: Matt and Trey are diverse in their political affiliation, but the one thing that ties it all together is common sense.
Image
Kyle the Skeptic
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:45 pm

MCkormick2 wrote:Back to the subject... South Park is a right-wing show. American Dad is left-wing. But, still, many of South Park's ideas are mainly directed at freedom of speech, wich is both criticized and defended by all political parties (while most liberals would shun sexist jokes, several conservatives would take offense to religious themed jokes). However, even when you see George Bush's behavior on the show, he looks a lot less like the mumbling retard that is portrayed in left wing shows like American Dad, or the news.

Again, making fun of one side doesn't automatically align you with the opposing side. A lot of comedians do that. Are you forgetting that one of South Park's recurring morals is that you shouldn't always view things in terms of black and white?

I understand what you're saying about their treatment of Bush. However it would be somewhat hypocritical of me if I were to fault them for not hating Bush enough. Nearly every Bush joke has already been done to death, i.e. those making fun of him for being stupid. You can get jokes like that practically everywhere else. Besides when Clinton was in office, back when SP was first starting out, they certainly didn't jump on the sex scandal bandwagon.
I guess it would be impossible for a political comedy to follow blindly only one party. But, even if I disagree with some of South Park's most recent ideas (such as the ban on stem cell research) I still like the show.

The ban on stem cell research in "Krazy Kripples" was done as a joke, because after all it had Christopher Reeve going on a stem cell fueled rampage. Everyone knows that's not how stem cells work anyway. The original legalization of stem cells in South Park was back in the episode "Kenny Dies". So if you had to pick an episode that represents their views, it would be the latter.
I found it interesting how they compared the theory of evolution, defended mainly by liberals, with the reality of 9/11, accepted by conservatives. That sentence is the core of South Park polithics.

I would probably have done the same thing myself. Several of the best sites for debunking 9/11 CTs are in fact written by liberals. That and conservatives who want creationism taught in schools are retards anyway. :)
Adorno
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:59 pm

Postby Adorno » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:24 am

Hall Monitor wrote: Er, I'm from England and so I don't even have the choice anymore. Conservative, Labour, they're the same thing. And unfortunately they're both of the token liberal extraction. What I mean by this is that they are of certain worthy beliefs, but because they believe themselves to be in the right from their lofty moral standpoint, they believe that anybody who disagrees with them is wrong and doesn't deserve to be heard. Race, religion, sexuality, these are all governable by the bland middle-classes who now run our country. For instance, one of the most marginalised people now are - no, not religious extremists, but people who smoke cigarettes. The filthy animals!

Which may not be a particularly big thing in the state, but in the UK is huge. Basically, the only recognisable culture we have left in Britain is our inns (pubs) which are now dying so that people can sit eating rocket salads and tofu, drinking organic ale and sneering at people who choose to read tabloids and puff away on cigarettes. So the end of hundreds of years of culture. Which is obviously a "good" thing right?


Absolutely! I'm from England too, it's so terrible right now for politics. Cameron is Blair, if you want Conservative you have to vote far right wing, which definitely doesn't fit my moderate stance and I would never do that, but all other parties are just liberal now. The choice is between run of the mill, wishy-washy left-wing or horrifically, retardedly left-wing.


KennyStanWendyFan wrote:They base their positions on reason and common sense, not on morality or emotions or a bunch of completely ridiculous bullcrap. There are so many other things I could cite from so many other episodes, but I think I've gotten the point across: Matt and Trey are diverse in their political affiliation, but the one thing that ties it all together is common sense.


Totally agreed, they just look at the world around them and can see what's retarded and needs changing. The reason people think of them as republicans is because they don't always take the liberal viewpoint, unlike the majority of satirical comedies.
chillspike
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:33 pm

Postby chillspike » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:27 pm

Jello_Biafra wrote:My husband is a Republican and he's a big SP fan. (I'm a Libertarian BTW). You can't take things personally. In fact, he loved last night's episode. And I enjoyed it as well. I just thought it was a bit out of character for Stan to take a sh*t in the urinal and use the whole 9/11 thing to cover it up...that's something that Cartman would do.


Excellent point...hadn't noticed it before but, now that someone brought it up, it is out of character for Stan.
manbearpig111
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:12 pm

Postby manbearpig111 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:31 am

First i am south park conservative. and 17
KennyStanWendyFan
Posts: 7905
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:14 am

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:24 am

Stan explained that the stalls were full and that he didn't want to miss recess.
Image
cartman'sbitch
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:15 pm

Postby cartman'sbitch » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:37 am

I think the republican party attracts me because I can't stand the thought of being a democrat. It is interesting how a person's thinking and belief system determines if they are republican or democrat. I think that is the most interesting aspect of it. And the "heat" the conflict between the two, is of equal interest to me. I can't figure it out. I can't understand a democrat. They make no f*ing sense to me at all.
awsome-o-2000
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:15 am

I'm not

Postby awsome-o-2000 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:25 am

I'm neither republican nor democrat; however, you're right NOT to be offended cause everything that's on this show about both parties is true! :o :cartmanlaugh: the show has a twisted/dark humor but is is the truth! :lol: and that is what makes it funny.

p.s. thank you for being an honest republican...! :cartmansmirk:
Last edited by awsome-o-2000 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
awsome-o-2000
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:15 am

Postby awsome-o-2000 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:30 am

cartman'sbitch wrote:I think the republican party attracts me because I can't stand the thought of being a democrat. It is interesting how a person's thinking and belief system determines if they are republican or democrat. I think that is the most interesting aspect of it. And the "heat" the conflict between the two, is of equal interest to me. I can't figure it out. I can't understand a democrat. They make no f*ing sense to me at all.



I feel the same way about the republican party...! :cartmanko'd: :!:
cartman'sbitch
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:15 pm

Postby cartman'sbitch » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:34 am

I know that is what is so interesting to me. You can take two peopl who can go out together, have fun and never talk about poitics and get along and then you throw the politics in the mix and it's going to be a brawl. I love people who are democrats, some who are my family but we talk about it we fight about it...every time. Never a joint venture.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests