What's your opinion on "the Return of Chef"?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

strumpfhose

What's your opinion on "the Return of Chef"?

Postby strumpfhose » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:03 pm

I love south park and think that all the episodes are great.
Except the Return of Chef! It made me so f*cking angry and sad. How the hell could they, Matt and Trey, do that to Chef?! Of course I'm aware that they had to get rid of Chef because Hayes left but still. That was a pretty f*cking crappy end to the great character. I couldn't even watch the part where the montain lion and the bear ripped him to pieces. I think that episode sucked ass, wasn't funny at all, and had no point at all. I really didn't see myself saying that about any South Park episode ever, but this time i just had to. I just wached the episode back a couple of minutes ago, and it had exactly the same effect on me as in the first time. It left me confused and upset.
And the way they used Chef's old lines was creepy, and before all, STUPID.
Does someone here like that episode?
(All the episodes before and after that one had been great and funny, as they should, though.)
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:10 pm

I thought the episode was funny and had a point. I agree, though, that the way they got rid of Chef was horrible. They should've just had him leave down or die of cancer or something. They didn't have to tear his body to shreds.
randyhart

Postby randyhart » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:04 pm

Yeah it was a good Episode but they way they killed Chef was terrible and then showing Him as a child molester and not making love down in Hell
If you want Faith+1 go here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19823&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dont ever leave me Jesus I couldnt stand to see you go
Shiek927

Postby Shiek927 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:28 am

I agree that they went too far. So what if they made him a minor character recently, just knowing Chef is around is GOOD! His voice actor has been around as long as M&T has and theres always the chance he'll return too the show. They didn't have to completely destroy the character(make him eaten etc)
kennykiller27

Postby kennykiller27 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:40 am

[quote="Shiek927":01197]I agree that they went too far. So what if they made him a minor character recently, just knowing Chef is around is GOOD! His voice actor has been around as long as M&T has and theres always the chance he'll return too the show. They didn't have to completely destroy the character(make him eaten etc)[/quote:01197]

They wanted to show you he was dead. I think?
[img:57e85]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5223/kennykillersigqg9.jpg[/img:57e85]
MCkormick2

Postby MCkormick2 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:23 am

I was astounded by Chef's death. It didn't make me actually sad, or angry, just shocked that they'd show something so graphic about a character in the show. I didn't really mind, because, after all, Kenny died violent deaths all the time during the first half of the show. Just because they cared about Chef, and, as they said, it wasn't his fault, but rather the club's, that brainwashed him, that he died. It was better they making it a violent death, such as one of Kenny's or mrs. Crabtree's, then making a sad, emotional episode (Even Kenny dies turned out to be a plot by Cartman to make money).

In another subject, I just saw "Timmy 2000". Chef had a pretty active role in that episode, on the plot involving overprescription of psychoreactive drugs. I wonder if his voice actor, being a scientologist, had anything to do with it, or if it was just a coincidence he happily embodied. What's your opinion?
This is not a sig.
misscutiepie1330

Postby misscutiepie1330 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:56 am

I liked TROC, but I hated how they killed him. When I first saw it, I was so pissed, I felt like stomping over to Matt and Trey's place and just slap them in the face and give them a big, god damn lecture on killing a good character like that. He could of died more peacefully, but I guess not. We sadly can't control sh*t like that, though, it's all on Matt and Trey.

Sometimes, I hate M&T so much though, such as the Tom Cruise controversy. I'm only half agreeing with myself, though. I think that Matt and Trey made Tom look like a douche. However, he lost his sanity after the couch incident and Matt and Trey specifically said everything is right, or everything is wrong. I think if the episode weren't about Tom 'going in the closet', he would only say one word and be done (hopefully) Yet, if he even said one word about it, it would cause controversy, considering that he is so concerned about what people think about him, Tom would be being just as much of a whiny bitch as he was a few months back. And just like I said, everything is right, or everything is wrong. If they didn't make Trapped in the Closet, Tom Cruise nor Isaac Hayes wouldn't be whining, but everything is right, everything is wrong and TITC was a great episode. I honestly liked Tom Cruise before that, but after Oprah, I wouldn't be caught dead watching anything Tom Cruise-related. Especially after his reaction to TITC...

...I went off topic and rambled on, did I? >< Sorry guys.

Anyway, I'll get to the point, I am a bit pissed at M&T for killing Chef like that.
I don't even know why I was rambling on about Tom Cruise. I think that means I'm tired. I might log off for the night soon.
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:36 pm

MCkormick2 wrote:I was astounded by Chef's death. It didn't make me actually sad, or angry, just shocked that they'd show something so graphic about a character in the show. I didn't really mind, because, after all, Kenny died violent deaths all the time during the first half of the show. Just because they cared about Chef, and, as they said, it wasn't his fault, but rather the club's, that brainwashed him, that he died. It was better they making it a violent death, such as one of Kenny's or mrs. Crabtree's, then making a sad, emotional episode (Even Kenny dies turned out to be a plot by Cartman to make money).

Yeah. Even reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince reminds me of the topics of Danny Phantom's "Double Cross My Heart" (with Sam snogging, or kissing, "Gregor") or the sex-change (especially in The Fairly OddParents' "The Boy Who Would Be Queen" or South Park's "Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina"). But most of all, the whole part in the book reminds me of "The Return of Chef". Like Chef, Professor Albus Dumbledore keeps leaving Hogwarts and coming back, and Harry, like the kids of South Park, knows that something is wrong with Dumbledore (of course, Chef never had a burnt hand like Dumbledore, or the latter never wanted to "make love to the children" like the former :lol: ). Anyway, when it gets to the part near the end, when Dumbledore is killed by Professor Snape, it left a hole in my heart that Dumbledore's death, like Chef's, is so tragic, so violent. And like Chef, it wasn't Dumbledore's fault, but rather the fault of Voldemort and Snape and the Death Eaters whom the Dark Lord hired, that he died (Voldemort and the Death Eaters are like the Super Adventure Club, sometimes). Of course, most Harry Potter fans are skeptical about Dumbledore's controversial death and wanted to believe that he's still alive somewhere, but I don't give a damn about what they think. I like to say about Dumbledore the way Kyle says something about Chef, and I quote, "In the end, I know that somewhere up there, there is a good part of Dumbledore... that is, his spirit... that is still alive in us all." :cartmansmile:
Adorno

Postby Adorno » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:03 pm

I think that TROC was a brilliant episode. Chef's death was a bit brutal, but I guess they just wanted to completely take away any possibility of him coming back, and they've shown some pretty gruesome deaths before, and some nasty stuff happening to main characters too. I thought that all of that was justified by the wonderful speech Kyle gave at his funeral, it seemed like the creators were talking directly to Isaac Hayes, saying, "we shouldn't let the events of the last few days take away the memories of how much Chef made us smile" and not be angry at Chef for leaving, but instead the "fruity little club for scrambling his brains".

MCkormick2 wrote:In another subject, I just saw "Timmy 2000". Chef had a pretty active role in that episode, on the plot involving overprescription of psychoreactive drugs. I wonder if his voice actor, being a scientologist, had anything to do with it, or if it was just a coincidence he happily embodied. What's your opinion?

I think that was probably just a coincidence. Its a pretty obvious thing for Matt and Trey to parody, I can imagine them having those opinions on psychoreactive drugs for children. If Isaac Hayes had anything to do with the writing of the episode, he wouldn't have allowed them to do the Scientology episode.

angeldeb82 wrote:Anyway, when it gets to the part near the end, when Dumbledore is killed by Professor Snape, it left a hole in my heart that Dumbledore's death, like Chef's, is so tragic, so violent

I remember that, it was even more upsetting that Sirius' death...some of my friends think, like Chef, Dumbledore'll still come back, but he's totally dead.
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:44 pm

I'm happy I'm not the only one who thinks Chef's death was too tragical :)
And, btw, what the hell was that robot-thing in the end?! :x It made the episode suck even more than it already did! It kinda seemed like they're gonna bring the evil-child molesting-robot-Chef back at some point, which i really hope they won't. because if they do, i'll really have to travel to LA and personally make sure that they get their asses kicked worse than they ever have!!! (and i don't have that kind of a money :roll: )
It (the ending) was probably just a (bad) joke, though, anyway... :?
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:16 pm

strumpfhose wrote:And, btw, what the hell was that robot-thing in the end?

You don't know who darth vader is?
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:30 am

^^^

Yeah that was an obvious Star Wars reference. Do you live in a cave?

My biggest complaint about Chef's 'death' was the way it seemed forced in there. The boys had rescued Chef and they were making thier heroic getaway and it's like suddenly they remembered, "Oh yeah, we gotta explain why this character will never be seen again".

That being said, without Issac Hayes, it was good to 'kill' off the character. Because Issac is Chef. I'd rather have him killed than appear next week with a new voice.

To me, Chef's death was a lot like the demise of Data in the last Star Trek movie. They killed off the character, but they left an out if they ever want to bring him back. The analogy being Darth Chef = B-4. (Although the TNG movies are finished so Data ain't comin' back; South Park, however, soldiers on.)

You read it! You can't unread it!
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:55 am

triplemultiplex wrote:My biggest complaint about Chef's 'death' was the way it seemed forced in there. The boys had rescued Chef and they were making thier heroic getaway and it's like suddenly they remembered, "Oh yeah, we gotta explain why this character will never be seen again".

That being said, without Issac Hayes, it was good to 'kill' off the character. Because Issac is Chef. I'd rather have him killed than appear next week with a new voice.

To me, Chef's death was a lot like the demise of Data in the last Star Trek movie. They killed off the character, but they left an out if they ever want to bring him back. The analogy being Darth Chef = B-4. (Although the TNG movies are finished so Data ain't comin' back; South Park, however, soldiers on.)

Yeah, it seems like you're acting as if comparing that to the way that Dumbledore's death seems a little forced in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. In that story, Harry had tortured Dumbledore into drinking the potion in the cave for the fake Horcrux and saved his life by having him drink water, and they were making their heroic getaway from the Inferi and the cave and back to Hogwarts, but suddenly they see the Dark Mark and the so-called "lightning-struck tower" that says, "Oh yeah, we gotta explain why this Dumbledore character will never be seen again." :cartmanlaugh:

Anyway, J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series may be coming to a close with her Book 7 that she's working on now, so Dumbledore may not be coming back as the fans claim he is; but South Park is moving on. Um, do I sound like a little copycat to you? :?
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:06 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:
Yeah that was an obvious Star Wars reference. Do you live in a cave?

No I don't live in a cave!!! I'm from Finland, duh! I live in a forest.
Excogitate

Postby Excogitate » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:39 pm

I think he went out in true South Park style!

If anything it was a honorable graphic death for a great character!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”