What's your opinion on "the Return of Chef"?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

MrWonderful

Postby MrWonderful » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:22 pm

I gotta say, I love the kyle's speech about "the fruity little club" warping chef's brain, an obvious take on the church of Scientology.
I laughed hard because of the great message, and some of the stupid stuff as well, and it makes me sad to see when so many people don't get the message south park trys to get across.
(It's a swell episode.)
"People never think anything is anything really. I'm getting goddam sick of it."
Aimsireil

Postby Aimsireil » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:52 am

*Long post warning*

First of all, anybody who thought Chef's death was "hilarious" is sick in the head and needs help. Watching somebody being burnt to a crisp, torn to pieces by wild animals, and having his face ripped off is NOT FUNNY. Sure, a little humor may have been thrown in there (where the one guy shot Chef accidentally and where he crapped his pants in the end) but it wasn't THAT funny. Not necessarily saying that killing characters is bad, though, sometimes it is necessary. Sure, the fact that Chef ended up dying after everything the boys went through was slightly ironic, but I don't believe people sat on their couches and LAUGHED at it all.

Anyhow, that's not my main problem with this episode... What I'm annoyed about is how M&T are so heartless that they couldn't even give Hayes's character (and remember, Chef was Hayes) a decent death. Ohhhhh no. They had to get all pissy about it. First they had to make Chef into a brainwashed child molester. Ok, M&T, you've gotten back at Hayes for quitting on you, are you through yet? Oh, no. Now you have to gruesomely kill him, with all that symbolism, just after it appeared that everything was going to be all right. Then you scrape away Chef's last bits of respect by making him crap his pants. Ok, M&T, now you've gotten back at Hayes in every way possible, you can just give him a decent funeral now and end it, riiight? Nope, you just had to bring him back to life as a replica of one of the most evil movie villains ever. And make him still be a child molester.

My point is that M&T are just poor losers, and don't have the dignity to kill Chef off in a decent manner.

And even the funeral scene was made to offend Hayes... they compared his religion to a "fruity little club"... which brings me to another point. M&T have trashed Scientology in more ways than they have ever, ever treated any other religion. I don't care whether Scientology is "sick", or if it "brainwashes people", the point is that it was Hayes's religion, and the way they made fun of it was disrespectful.

Off-topic, but anybody who believes the crap Judaism talks about is a dummy.

Now, you see what I mean? That's almost exactly what M&T said about the beliefs in Scientology. You see, I tricked you up there. I got all the good Jewish posters on this forum to believe I was a dirty little racist (which I'm definitely not), when, however, I was almost directly quoting from what was said about Scientology in "Trapped in The Closet". That's why what was said in TITC was worse than what they'd said anywhere else, not even mentioning how they had the head of the church say that stuff. And that's why Hayes was annoyed enough to leave the cast of SP. If SP ever said that kind of stuff about, say, Islam, the show would be censored out of its mind.

And I don't get all those references to how Scientology charging money is bad. The Catholic Church had a required 10% tithe back when it was new, so Scientology really isn't any worse than that, as it is pretty new. If it ever becomes a bigger religion (not saying I care if it does either way), it will probably stop charging money. Why couldn't the end of "TITC" been like in "All About the Mormons", anyways? At the end of that episode, it was said that even though the beliefs were a little unrealistic, the religion was still good, and creates great families and makes people happy. But for Scientology, it was said that the religion is just a huge global scam that is only intended to make money off of unsuspecting people.

And about the whole All-OK-Or-All-Not thing... what the creators of SP don't realize is that just because it's ok to put something on TV, it's not worth it if it means one of your senior voice actors will quit on you because of it.

Did Hayes even quit because of that stuff, anyways? I mean, it was said that he had a stroke, but... it's still highly likely he left because he was offended. Nevermind.

And I'm not racist, in fact I quite possibly am Jewish myself. That was just a little trick up there. :)
-----
MrWonderful

Postby MrWonderful » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:02 am

Aimsireil wrote:*Long post warning*

[this is a long ass post and I am not quoting it]

The episode was a little extreme, but I don't get all pissy when people rip on atheism. In fact, when I heard there are south park episodes that ripped on atheism I downloaded them just because I LIKE people making fun of my beliefs, and even if I didn't, I wouldn't quit a show I had worked with for 10 years just because it ripped on MY beliefs.
Jesus Christ, if somebody said atheism was invented by a guy who couldn't take the truth or some bull, I would laugh.
Presumably Issac Hayes didn't believe what south park said, so why would he give a sh*t? Why couldn't he just say "I don't believe that"? He had to quit a show that had ripped on EVERYTHING ELSE after 10 years because it ripped on HIS religion.
gfhdghgfhshdsgfhsgds
"People never think anything is anything really. I'm getting goddam sick of it."
Aimsireil

Postby Aimsireil » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:45 am

^Agreed. You shouldn't quit a show that has ripped on what others believe for years, but then rips on your beliefs. But, SP didn't just "rip" on Scientology. It said that Scientology was a bullcrap cult that was stuffed full of lies, and was only created to make money. It didn't give any redeeming qualities to the religion at all. There was no argument for Scientology, or anything. They just said it was a huge global cult scam and made everybody in the religion seem like idiots. They're never, ever said anything so bad about any other religion before. And there's no reason that they should have said things like that, anyways. Xenu existing has just as much solid proof behind it as Jesus being the son of G-d does. If SP said the people in my belief system were a bunch of sick whackos, I would get pissed, also.
-----
Infusions

Postby Infusions » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:05 pm

^ ....

I'm really, really surprised your a South Park fan. :/ You seem to get bugged so much by alot of the jokes and stuff Matt and Trey put on the show, you forget that it's just a show.

You treat it as if M&T's sole purpose in life is to force their opinions on people and tell them what the world is and how they view it. That's not it at all, they just wanna be funny.

Presumably Issac Hayes didn't believe what south park said, so why would he give a sh*t? Why couldn't he just say "I don't believe that"? He had to quit a show that had ripped on EVERYTHING ELSE after 10 years because it ripped on HIS religion.

EVERYBODY READ THE QUOTE! IT SHALL SAVE YOUR LIFE!! <3

Really. People who go on essay rampages and detailed reasons on why they got offended by a joke needs more help than the person who found it funny.
What's the difference between a 7-11 and a smurf?

A 7-11 is a 24-hour convenience store and a smurf is a small blue fictional cartoon character.
Aimsireil

Postby Aimsireil » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:05 pm

^Hell no, I love South Park.

I don't treat anything as being M&T's sole purpose in life. I was simply commenting on the battering of Scientology in "TITC" and in "The Return".

And the show didn't just "rip" on his religion. It compared him and all the people in his religion into being brainwashed losers, and the people who ran the religion were gigantic scam artists who cared only about money. Now, all that would have been funny if it was obvious that SP was joking about it. But it wasn't. I actually believed most of the junk they talked about until I read up a little on it, and while Scientology, like other religions, has faults, it's nowhere near as bad as it was made out to be. Hence why it was not "ripping".

And it wasn't just a joke, either.
-----
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:00 am

Aimsireil wrote:^Hell no, I love South Park.

I don't treat anything as being M&T's sole purpose in life. I was simply commenting on the battering of Scientology in "TITC" and in "The Return".

And the show didn't just "rip" on his religion. It compared him and all the people in his religion into being brainwashed losers, and the people who ran the religion were gigantic scam artists who cared only about money. Now, all that would have been funny if it was obvious that SP was joking about it. But it wasn't. I actually believed most of the junk they talked about until I read up a little on it, and while Scientology, like other religions, has faults, it's nowhere near as bad as it was made out to be. Hence why it was not "ripping".

And it wasn't just a joke, either.

I agree with you..Alot of people make the arguement that anything Matt and Trey do is ok because South Park makes fun of everything. Well, what they forget is that context is important when it comes to the jokes, and what was said about every other religion besides Scientology was a joke. If you go back and look at all the episodes about religion, even All about Mormons, you will see that while they make fun of certain beliefs, they don't say the whole religion is invalid. That was what was different about the Scientology episode, it really looked like they were trying to expose Scientology as a scam. Especially because there really were no jokes in that episode, unless you count the Tom Cruise trapped in a closet joke that they repeated 50 times. And. you know what the result was after that episode aired? All the little boys and girls who seem to think they know everything, and who hang on Trey and Matt's every word decided that they hated Scientology, even when before they watched that episode they had no idea what it was. I saw alot of that on this board, and I saw alot of people who had anti Scientology sites posting links to their sh*t..That made me feel like that episode ( along with Smug Alert) was more like propaganda than entertainment, and it was a real dissapointment for me, since I had been such a huge fan of South Park for years.
Alfred E. Neuman

Postby Alfred E. Neuman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:08 am

I love The Return of Chef and ranks in my 10 ten South Park episodes. And some of my friend really enjoyed it.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:56 am

Honestly though, who can say that they didn't see Chef's death coming a mile away back when Hayes quit? Being South Park, it certainly has a degree of predictability after 9 seasons (at the time). It was practically a given that they were going to kill Chef off in a brutally spectacular fashion, and I wasn't exactly surprised with the way it turned out. In fact, I was actually expecting them to do far worse. My only complaint is that Chef was, for the longest time, one of the more lovable characters in the cast, since he was someone the boys always looked up to and went to for advice, so it was kind of a waste to just flush him down the toilet.

Regarding the treatment of Scientology, I know that M&T may have come off as very one-sided due to all the publicity that the episode got for making fun of it, but I don't think that the reasoned arguments were completely nonexistent. Remember that Stan said that the message (assuming Scientology has one) should take precedence over the profitability. He wasn't just talking about Scientology; he was talking about all religions. Take that into account on top of their stance regarding literal interpretations of religious writings ("Red Hot Catholic Love" or "All About the Mormons") and they weren't exactly being unfair.

I would actually like to see them reuse Darth Chef in some way, but that was probably just a one time gag.
Raven5220

Postby Raven5220 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:20 am

The guy who said watching a person being burnt alive isnt funny, normally i would agree, except since its a cardboard cutout.

But i agree, even though i hate seing M&T tear down Hayes, Stone did make a good point when he said "He was happy when he was brining in the checks, and we were making fun of everyone elses religion"
BigAl89

Postby BigAl89 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:59 am

For a second it was kinda sad, but ultimately the episode was hilarious and when you think about how Isaac turned his back on the show you really can't feel bad about what they did. Sure we'll miss Chef, but you gotta admit that was some funny sh*t.
Cartman: It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:58 pm

1- Aim, I have a question: How would you have taken care of the Hayes situation?
2- I doubt any of us could really understand the true depth of anger and betrayal Matt and Trey felt, so to criticize their response as harsh is unfair.
3- Chef was shown to be a torn character, and torn characters are the best ones. He wanted some excitement in his life, so he joined ths SAC. The SAC, who attracts people who want adventure and possibly to go against society's conventions, was able to easily brainwash him.
4- Reason? Matt and Trey honestly believed Scientology had brainwashed Hayes.
5- Chef was turned into a child molester, who is a betrayer of a child's trust to a serious degree. Since Stan and Kyle are Trey and Matt, it is showing their own sense of betrayal.
6- Stan and Kyle tried to save Chef, which is what Trey and Matt had wished they had done.
7- The death of Chef was supposed to be symbolic of how the Hayes they had known had died.
8- The brutality of the death as well as Chef sh*tting himself was supposed to be humour through shock. It works alot, like at the end of Scott Tenorman Must Die, which ranks as worse in my book than the way Chef died.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
SPGoodman

Postby SPGoodman » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:32 am

Chef's grisly death was quite justified, given the circumstances of Isaac Hayes' departure-not-departure from the show.

First the "Trapped in the Closet" episode skewered closet-gay Scientologists Tom "little squirt" Cruise and John "hey, I'm actin' here!" Travolta, and months later, "representatives" for Hayes - most likely Scientology handlers stepping in for a classic foot bullet op - announce that he's had a "stroke". Then it's announced that "he didn't have a stroke, it was exhaustion". Then it was a "stroke". Then Hayes came out and did the spiel about how they were insulting "his religion". Funny how Scientologists claim to be "compatible with all religions" but Hayes never had a problem with the Bloody Mary etc. episodes. But Scientology is a hypocritical MLM scam, as Trey and Matt showed in #915.

Scientologist handlers quit the show on Hayes' behalf, with most likely not much communication with Trey and Matt, who said that he had been a friend of theirs despite his cult hookup. Hayes allowed the weak charade to go on for months before saying something to the press, and by then it was too late. Who knows what transpired between the three of them - but it's evident that Trey and Matt were quite upset about it.

When Chef had his face torn off etc. what we were being shown was the externalized version of what Isaac Hayes did to them as friends, combined with a lashing-out at Scientology, the "fruity little club that scrambled his brains."

Somehow the "Trapped in the Closet" episode is still banned in the UK, even excluded from Paramount Comedy Channel's "best of" poll, as if season 9 had only 14 episodes. There must be a desperate effort by the cult to suppress any further "entheta" - aka "truth about Scientology" - from being aired here.

No doubt, there was a lot of hurt behind the scenes on Matt and Trey's parts. Given the far more single-stroked deaths of other characters on the show the multiple-event death of Chef was most likely more than justified, and of course "battle for Earth has only begun".
SP Goodman
* http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack
* Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff

Postby 203177 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:22 pm

i'm going to have to strongly agree with aimsireil. Besides the return of chef wasn't even funny to tell you the truth, matt and trey made a huge mistake for making fun of scientology and chefs death was very brutal. And what kyle said in his speech is very true,i think matt and trey should show respect for those people who are scientologists.
My favorite sp characters: Bridon(he's so cute!)
Kyle,Stan, Kenny/Mysterion.

Fave ep: ESM Season 12,Sec fave: Butterballs Season 16
cartmanisrocking

Postby cartmanisrocking » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:28 pm

He is funny but I don't like him now he is gone off the show after his voicer pulled off.they can't find someone else :?: :?: :?: :?:

Return to “General South Park Discussion”