unexpectedly 'intelligent' references

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

rekall

unexpectedly 'intelligent' references

Postby rekall » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:41 am

"prisoner 24601"
in 'silly hate crime' cartman is known as prisoner 24601
NICE, same prisoner designation as jean valjean in les miserables.

what other unexpectedly 'intelligent' references have you noticed in SP ?
rekall

Postby rekall » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:27 am

soylent green is turkeys

'helen keller' -- the film the turkeys are shown to relax them before getting their heads lobbed off ... very similar to the film shown to old people in the euthanasia centre.

the increasingly more fervent 'we kill our turkeys HUMANELY' propaganda prior to that scene, too. similar to the announcements in the city square to placate the public.

and to round out the trifecta of the soylent reference, we have the turkeys going right from death straight to the delivery truck, just as the dead are processed and redelivered as 'food' immediately.
Binsento

Postby Binsento » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:21 pm

Good topic, i found one yesterday while i was watching Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.
There's a scene about sexual education where John Cleese (the teacher) explains to the students when you have to hang up your coat on the lower hook.
This is done in almost exactly the same way as Cartman explaining where they guys were at the night the toiletpapered the art teacher's house.

When you see it, you'll know exactly what i mean.

[edit]
Just found the quotes:

Humphrey: All right, settle down. Settle down... Now, before I begin the lesson, will those of you who are playing in the match this afternoon move your clothes down onto the lower peg immediately after lunch, before you write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut, unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case, collect his note before lunch, put it in your letter after you've had your hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the lower peg for you. Now...
Wymer: Sir?
Humphrey: Yes, Wymer?
Wymer: My younger brother's going out with Dibble this weekend, sir, but I'm not having my hair cut today, sir.
Pupils: [chuckling]
Wymer: So, do I move my clothes down, or...
Humphrey: I do wish you'd listen, Wymer. It's perfectly simple. If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch, after you've done your scripture prep, when you've written your letter home, before rest, move your own clothes onto the lower peg, greet the visitors, and report to Mr. Viney that you've had your chit signed

Here's Cartman's version:

Cartman: Okay. Last night, all four of us were at the bowling alley until about 7:30, at which time we noticed Ally Sheedy, the Goth chick from the Breakfast Club, was bowling in the lane next to us, and we asked her for her autograph, but she didn't have a pen, so we followed her out to her car, but on the way we were accosted by five Scientologists who wanted to give us all personality tests, which were administered at the Scientology Center in Denver until 10:45, at which time we accidentally boarded the wrong bus home and ended up in Rancho de Burritos Rojos, south of Castle Rock, and finally got a ride home with a man who was missing his left index finger, named Gary Bushwell, arriving home at 11:46.
Kyle: I'm confused. Did Ally Sheedy take that personality test?
Stan: Yes, dude!
Cartman: Kyle, it's very simple: we followed Ally Sheedy out to her car, but on the way we were accosted by five Scientologists who wanted to give us all personality tests, which were administered at the Scientology Center in Denver until 10:45, at which time we accidentally boarded the wrong bus home and ended up in Rancho de Burritos Rojos, south of Castle Rock, and finally got a ride home with a man who was missing his left index finger, named Gary Bushwell, arriving home at 11:46, you got it??
Kyle: Ah, Ah I, ah I thought...
Cartman: [exasperated] Oh, for Christ's sake!
Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh
rekall

Postby rekall » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:03 am

the 'crab people' sequence and underground tunnels seem to me like a nod to Ray Harryhausen's "First Men in the Moon"
rekall

Postby rekall » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:55 am

this christian album better make as much money as you said it would, tubby.
i'm going to kill you one day, token.

mark 14:11
and when they heard it they were glad, and promised to give him money. And he sought an opportunity to betray him.
CyniKel

Postby CyniKel » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:05 am

Haha - I totally missed that Les Miserables one, rekall!

Which episode was the Monty Python reference from, Binsento?

Stan's Spooky Fish references a play/black and white movie called "The Bad Seed." The little girl in the play murders one of her classmates for a penmanship medal and the boy's mother comes to her mother drunk and crying, and starts asking the girl what really happened like Kenny's mother does in the episode.

I've been wondering if Terrence and Phillip could be a reference to Roman playwrights Terrence and Plautus. I guess that is really obscure, though, and is only really useful to me in remembering the playwrights when I study for my history classes... :roll:
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:24 pm

People say that Dr. Mephesto was inspired by Island of Dr. Morou. Though- that being one of my favorite books from jr. high- I disagree. I don't recal a Dr. Mephesto and I think it's simply assumed by people who don't know that Vivisection is a very real practice and that Wells didn't invent it. We wouldn't have heart transplants w/o it. Peta and animal rights people outlawed it. Oh snaps. There goes my career dream. Vivisection is/was the bomb.

Like, one guy actually put a Chiwawa's head on a Great Dane's neck. So it had two heads- one a little dinky chiwawa and the other it's normal head. LOL> COOOLNESSS

Dr. Mephesto is actually more of a genetisist than a vivisectionist anyway.

Edit: First men on the Moon was also adapted from a Wells story. Yes, the Crap People did resemble the ant people- specially the caves they lived in.
Kyle Loves Me// Albino.black.sheep is my accountabilabuddy! *tackle hugs*
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:32 pm

rekall wrote:this christian album better make as much money as you said it would, tubby.
i'm going to kill you one day, token.

mark 14:11
and when they heard it they were glad, and promised to give him money. And he sought an opportunity to betray him.

GEEZ!!! You never defined what the "they" and the two "him"s are!!! You're just reading the KJV of the Bible. My New American Bible goes like this:

Mark 14:10-11:
Judas Iscariot, one of the Twelve, went off to the chief priests to hand Jesus over to them. When they heard him they were pleased and promised to pay him money. Then he looked for an opportunity to hand him over.

Don't you see? :cartmancop:
rekall

Postby rekall » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:37 pm

international standard, actually.
i never claimed to be any sort of bible expert.
just found it fun to find a similar theme in it, considering the episode's subject matter.
rekall

Postby rekall » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:41 pm

if we got our hands on that robot, we could reprogram it, and turn it into a weapon.
hang on a second, if that robot is designed for entertainment, then turning it into a weapon is unethical.

i am not reprogramming a robot that's developed consciousness.

reminded me of Asimov's three laws.

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction,
allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings
except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as
such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
TetrisRock

Postby TetrisRock » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:14 pm

The only sort-of intelligent reference that I can think of right now is that the turkey is called Gobbles..., after Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels.
Last edited by TetrisRock on Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:46 pm

^^^

But that guy's name is pronounced "Ger-bulls" or "Go-bells", not "Gob-alls".

You read it! You can't unread it!
rekall

Postby rekall » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:20 am

now, kyle, don't fly too close to the sun
or it'll burn your wings, and you'll crash into the ocean.

"do you see?" (cartman strapped to a wheelchair being tortured)
-> red dragon

"stop it!" (light bulbs explode)
-> common theme in movies/books as regards telekinetics protecting their psyche and affecting their surroundings as a result e.g. Carrie, The Exorcist, X-Men (Jean Grey, Rogue)
rekall

Postby rekall » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:16 pm

die, hippie, die...
multiple references to 'little Eichman'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Eichmann

best friends forever -> the last starfighter
rekall

Postby rekall » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:51 am

'go god go'

obvious references to Buck Rogers.

less obvious references to Dune (at least as i see it; the giant otter's role reminds me of a member of the Spacing Guild; also Cartman is treated like an outsider/chosen one not unlike Paul Atreides)...

not-so-obvious reference to Logan's Run... the Museum of Technology -> sanctuary w/ the old man and his library of ancient books.

edit: scratch that the otters are totally more like House Harkonnen.

and the rapid changes in the future-present felt quite a bit like a similar sequence in Ice Pirates.

quality "science damned" episode.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”