unexpectedly 'intelligent' references

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:29 pm

rekall wrote:'go god go'

obvious references to Buck Rogers.

less obvious references to Dune (at least as i see it; the giant otter's role reminds me of a member of the Spacing Guild; also Cartman is treated like an outsider/chosen one not unlike Paul Atreides)...

not-so-obvious reference to Logan's Run... the Museum of Technology -> sanctuary w/ the old man and his library of ancient books.

edit: scratch that the otters are totally more like House Harkonnen.

and the rapid changes in the future-present felt quite a bit like a similar sequence in Ice Pirates.

quality "science damned" episode.

You forgot to mention the reference that some Catholics are disturbed about evolution, when the position of the Roman Catholic Church is not to oppose evolution. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_and_the_Roman_Catholic_Church
rekall

Postby rekall » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:16 pm

the 'intelligent design' position seems, to me, an attempt to undo a lot of arguments about science vs. god that the Church itself had incited in the past. it also nicely shifts focus away from 'creationism' being too godlike to teach in public schools.

in other words, i think it's crap.
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:35 pm

rekall wrote:the 'intelligent design' position seems, to me, an attempt to undo a lot of arguments about science vs. god that the Church itself had incited in the past. it also nicely shifts focus away from 'creationism' being too godlike to teach in public schools.

in other words, i think it's crap.

Well, even Jack Chick thinks that evolution never existed, as stated in his Chick tract Big Daddy? and here: http://members.aol.com/pockybox/PessimisticPolitics/ctt/cttbigdaddy.html I think he's sorely mistaken because he misinterprets the Bible and what the Catholic Church is trying to clear up. :roll:
rekall

Postby rekall » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:03 am

what stan had to say about it all pretty much echoes my own feelings, and (somewhat) Revelation 7:9

"After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no man could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands"

imagine if we could just agree that whatever each of us chooses to call 'it' (or to forego a higher power entirely i.e. atheism) that each of us does it to offset our grief in terms of utterly not understanding the universe around us (and within us). you say buddha, i say the trinity, you say allah, he says shiva, but we're pretty much saying 'it' for the same reasons. no one is 'more right' because no one god's existence can be proven or disproven. make your choice and live, allow others to make theirs (let live) so long as you're not starting another Crusade or Jihad over it. (for f*cks sake.)

sorry, wanted to add my 2c about all that.
cedric-digsby

Postby cedric-digsby » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:07 pm

Binsento wrote:...Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. There's a scene about sexual education where John Cleese (the teacher) explains to the students when you have to hang up your coat on the lower hook. This is done in almost exactly the same way as Cartman explaining where they guys were at the night the toiletpapered the art teacher's house...

More obvious Python influence in Red Hot Catholic Love, when Priest Maxi enters the Catacombs at St Peter's Basilica. The old Monk looked and sounded just like the Bridge Keeper from Monty Python and the Holy Grail (had to be a tribute - or homage as they say in Simpsons' DVD commentaries). South Park needed only a few seconds of dialog to bring back memories of that Python scene.

OLD MONK: Beoo!
PRIEST MAXI: Ahh, hello. Uh- My name is Father Maxi, from the United States.
OLD MONK: What do you seek, Father?
PRIEST MAXI: I... I'm trying to find the Holy Document of Vatican Law. ...So that we can make revisions to it.
------------------------------

ARTHUR: There it is! The Bridge of Death!
ROBIN: Oh, great.
KNIGHT: Look!
ARTHUR: There's the old man from Scene 24!
BEDEMIR: What is he doing here?
ARTHUR: He is the keeper of the Bridge of Death. He asks each traveller five questions--
KNIGHT: Three questions.
ARTHUR: Three questions. He who answers the five questions--
KNIGHT: Three questions.
ARTHUR: Three questions may cross in safety.
ROBIN: What if you get a question wrong?
ARTHUR: Then you are cast into the Gorge of Eternal Peril.
ROBIN: Oh, I won't go......
ARTHUR: Good luck, brave Sir Launcelot. God be with you.
KEEPER: Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, 'ere the other side he see.
LAUNCELOT: Ask me the questions, bridge-keeper. I'm not afraid.
KEEPER: What is your name?
LAUNCELOT: My name is Sir Launcelot of Camelot.
KEEPER: What is your quest?
LAUNCELOT: To seek the Holy Grail.
KEEPER: What is your favorite color?
LAUNCELOT: Blue.
KEEPER: Right. Off you go.
LAUNCELOT: Oh, thank you. Thank you very much.
ROBIN: That's easy!
KEEPER: Stop! Who approaches the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, 'ere the other side he see.
ROBIN: Ask me the questions, bridge-keeper. I'm not afraid.
KEEPER: What is your name?
ROBIN: Sir Robin of Camelot.
ROBIN: To seek the Holy Grail.
KEEPER: What is the capital of Assyria?
ROBIN: I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh!
KEEPER: Stop! What is your name?
GALAHAD: Sir Galahad of Camelot.
GALAHAD: I seek the Holy Grail.
KEEPER: What is your favorite color?
GALAHAD: Blue. No yel-- Auuuuuuuugh!
KEEPER: Heh heh. Stop! What is your name?
ARTHUR: It is Arthur, King of the Britons.
ARTHUR: To seek the Holy Grail.
KEEPER: What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
ARTHUR: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
KEEPER: What? I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh!
BEDEMIR: How do know so much about swallows?
ARTHUR: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king you know.
rekall

Postby rekall » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:48 pm

hehe man i love that movie.
who would have guessed that the much earlier scene with the french taunting him would later turn out to be handy for arthur?

i also caught hints of indiana jones in there.
except that he just grabs the document and doesn't get chased by a huge rock.
but it seemed a distinct possibility.
TetrisRock

Postby TetrisRock » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:55 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:^^^

But that guy's name is pronounced "Ger-bulls" or "Go-bells", not "Gob-alls".

It's the way Timmy says it.
bulrog2004

Postby bulrog2004 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:30 pm

idon't know if this qualifies for this topic, but, anyway.

in "timmy2000", cartman's side effects on ritalin (cristina aguilera pink monsters) might be a reference to increasing production/use of methylamphetamine (you called "crystal meth), and its overdose (rare) sign, "delusional parasitosis".
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:47 pm

rekall wrote:what stan had to say about it all pretty much echoes my own feelings, and (somewhat) Revelation 7:9

"After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no man could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands"

imagine if we could just agree that whatever each of us chooses to call 'it' (or to forego a higher power entirely i.e. atheism) that each of us does it to offset our grief in terms of utterly not understanding the universe around us (and within us). you say buddha, i say the trinity, you say allah, he says shiva, but we're pretty much saying 'it' for the same reasons. no one is 'more right' because no one god's existence can be proven or disproven. make your choice and live, allow others to make theirs (let live) so long as you're not starting another Crusade or Jihad over it. (for f*cks sake.)

sorry, wanted to add my 2c about all that.

Man! You don't define what the "this" and the "I" are!
Still the same as it ever was.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”