Am I the only one that finds SP not offensive?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

gregh2k5

Am I the only one that finds SP not offensive?

Postby gregh2k5 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:20 am

I mean everyone made a big deal about them showing steve irwin, but when I saw the episode it didn't even cross my mind as being offensive. I only learned later that people (even sp fans) were offended by it. It's not like they trampled on his grave or showed him in some perverse manner. Jesus.

Same thing goes for the romania episode (quintuplets), and the episode where god was shown as a fly-eating creature. None of those things strike me as the least bit offensive but I keep seeing posts where people are sh*tting bricks about this. Sure, romania is being poked fun at, but who cares? They are making fun of America's ignorance of other countries just as much as the other country itself.

Even the religious episodes (like cartoon wars, where jesus sh*ts at the end), shouldn't be offensive, because there's a message that's being brought underneath the obscenity. The message, in that case, was of the hypocracy in not showing muhammad, but being able to show jesus sh*t.

So if you really are a SP fan, try and think about underlying messages and the point they are trying to make. And if you are just here because you are offended, then get the f*ck off the board, bitch.
Last edited by gregh2k5 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
I don't have to conform to everyone else and make a signature!!! oh... sh*t!
Nadine81

Postby Nadine81 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:44 am

I totally agree with what you said!

Having a sense of humor should mean two things:
beeing able to laugh about other people´s believes/ opinions AND beeing able to make fun of your own.

Although SP has made fun of things that are important to me, I would never come here complaining. Or write a stupid post which says something like "I will never watch this show again".
That is so ridiculous and senseless...

I have the impression that a lot of people are okay with SP as long as it doesn´t touch issues that are important to them.
But as soon as that happens, they react like "How dare they making fun of... Steve Irwing; my religion; global warming; 9/11; Romania;..."

Matt and Trey always say that they stand behind the idea that either everything is okay or nothing is.
So everybody is treated equally ;)...
The right to offend is far more important than the right not to be offended (Rowan Atkinson)
Princesslovelypants

Postby Princesslovelypants » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:57 am

I find Two and a Half men offensive.

It should have a smug warning attatched.

I also find Rob Schneider offensive.

But really I'm talking about stuff that's just plain crap.

SP is written in a really intelligent way, so I don't get pissed off with it (apart from Mr Hankey's Christmas Classics, which gives me a barf-migrane).
CONFORMISTS!
sconte

Postby sconte » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:51 pm

south park is the most NON offensive program out there

fox news is more offensive than anything and it should be banned from television

DVDA ALL THE WAY!!!!
Nadine81

Postby Nadine81 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:06 pm

I find Two and a Half men offensive.
It should have a smug warning attatched.

I am so offended right now, because I like Two and a half men.
I think I can never read this board again :D...

I mean everyone made a big deal about them showing steve irwing, but when I saw the episode it didn't even cross my mind as being offensive. I only learned later that people (even sp fans) were offended by it.

It didn´t cross my mind either that showing him the way they did could be offensive. I didn´t think it was a big deal, so I was really surprised and kind of shocked when I saw the reactions...not only here but also elsewhere on the internet.
The right to offend is far more important than the right not to be offended (Rowan Atkinson)
millhike

Postby millhike » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:17 pm

Showing steve irwin at fancy dress party = classic sp! it fitted in with the rest of the episode and was therefore funny. sp was no way just trying to offend just for the hell of it. its not family guy for gods sake!
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:06 pm

I have never been offended at all by anything Matt and Trey have ever done...... except for the Return of Chef. I was super offended by it, but other than that nothing. I'm just not so fanatic about anything or take anything so seriously. South Park is about the only thing i'm fanatic about, so they shouldn't mess with sp characters :evil:
Delition

Postby Delition » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:12 pm

I haven't been offended by it ever, but that isn't to say that there haven't been times that I haven't wanted to watch it...out of boredom. There have been a few episodes that I just grew bored with and changed the channel, but never out of disgust.
MyGod

Postby MyGod » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:29 pm

LOL - I have a friend who absolutely loved Mr Hankey's Christmas Classics. :lol: He even wanted the songs in it!
This could be the end of the world... of warcraft
Sasa42

Postby Sasa42 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:50 pm

I personally have never been offended by South Park and I think the people who have found a specific episode highly offensive to them either don't know the show very well or can't take a joke as well as they thought they could and need to re-examine themselves.
No matter what you poke fun of, someone will be offended. Just because it doesn't offend you doesn't mean that the joke should come across to you as being the least bit offensive. That could be considered as ignorance. You've got to be able to understand why people find it offensive, but then you've just you got say "Well, hey, it's South Park, it's just a TV show (albeit, a highly relevant one), get over it."

Oh, and Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics rocks ^_^
Hello, I'm a British person!
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:50 pm

MyGod wrote:LOL - I have a friend who absolutely loved Mr Hankey's Christmas Classics. :lol: He even wanted the songs in it!

Hey, I have the Mr Hankey's Christmas Classics cd! :D Actually I just saw it in a store (before the episode was even made, I think, or at least before it aired in Finland) and was just like "wtf is this...?" but it was sp so I got to buy it. And I love it and listen to it every Christmas. The episode is funny too. Is there something weird in liking that episode...?
(out of the topic)

Delition wrote: There have been a few episodes that I just grew bored with and changed the channel, but never out of disgust.

You are so not a true fan. How can anyone grow bored with south park....
Tweak_Hammertime

Postby Tweak_Hammertime » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:52 pm

Plenty of people moan about SP being offensive, big deal! It's part of what makes it funny! There are tons of loyal canadian fans who aren't put off by the way SP portrays the way they look and talk!
If SP wasn't offensive to people it wouldn't be as funny!
Nicccceeeeee!!
We love you england, we do!
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:06 pm

Yeah, you're right. It's kind of ridiculous to discuss about south park's offensiveness, at least among us who are presumably supposed to know and understand what the show is about and why we like it as much as we do. Of course offensiveness and bad taste are one of the main elements in the show.
IneedBoutTREEFIDDY

Postby IneedBoutTREEFIDDY » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:44 pm

You aren't alone, most people aren't offeneded, it is just when people do get offeneded, they take it way out of proportion.

I'm one of those never offended by anything kind of guys.
Setting the standard since 1852
wizard_man

Postby wizard_man » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:28 pm

EVERONE ON SP STUDIOS LET ME TELL U ALL SUMTHIN.

SOUTH PARK IS DA BEST!

SERIOUSLY THERE IS NOTHING OFFENSIVE
ABOUT IT PLUS 2 ME SOUTH PARK IS NOT A
SHOW........ ITS LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”