There is a Name Controversy over "South Park" now

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Prof. Destructo

There is a Name Controversy over "South Park" now

Postby Prof. Destructo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:32 am

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/articles/4609316.html
This move might finally really kill Kenny.

Hermosa Beach has decided to explore new names for South Park, its modest open space at Valley Drive and Fourth Street that happens to have the same handle as a popular television cartoon known for killing one of its main characters in almost every episode and treading heavily on delicate subjects.

Throughout 10 seasons of child abuse jokes, anti-Semitic comments and overall irreverent antics, "South Park" has endured the wrath of the Church of Scientology, both ends of the political spectrum and educators across the country.

And now the controversial cartoon's bad language and crude humor has prickled the Hermosa Beach Woman's Club.

After more than 80 years do-gooding in town, the group recently offered to donate a sign for South Park, but also wanted to change the park's name.

"The ladies feel that with the notoriety of the cartoon ... the name is not appropriate," stated a letter to the city's Parks and Recreation Commission.

Members offered up Centennial Park -- a nod to the city's upcoming 100th birthday -- as an alternative, but instead the commission decided Wednesday to let a subcommittee look into new names as it develops a master plan for South Park, said Community Resources Director Lisa Lynn.

Diane Miller, the club's treasurer, said the moniker modification was more of a request than a contingency.

"I guess most of the people feel if (the city) would allow us to do a sign, maybe we should come up with a different name rather than South Park," she said.

And while Miller never noticed the park's connection to the fictional Colorado hometown of Kyle, Cartman, Stan and Kenny, she said the club's chief beef with the show is its rude language.

"I personally like the show 'South Park,' " Miller said. "It is a filthy-mouth show. But it's not as bad as Roseanne Barr or Eddie Murphy."

Billy Meistrell, whose father cofounded Body Glove, asked the commission on Wednesday to consider an homage to the city's place in surf culture history and Body Glove, which once donated part of its land to make the South Park's parking lot.
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:46 am

I personally think that’s just silly. What’s in a name anyway?
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
NauaCaos

Postby NauaCaos » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:57 am

That is the stupidest reason to change a name, but I don't have any room to talk about that....
(¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø°`)
(`¤ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸ø¤°`°¤ø,¸)
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:33 am

I don't see any controversy, unless there are people who want to KEEP the name, and the article doesn't mention them.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Tweak_Hammertime

Postby Tweak_Hammertime » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:30 pm

Stan: "A bunch of fat skanks on thier periods?"

Mr Garrison: "Yes, but who was the leader of the fat skanks on thier periods?"

I've forgotten which episode that quote was in, but it seems completely relevant to this.
Nicccceeeeee!!
We love you england, we do!
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:31 pm

Haha Hermosa Beach, lol- they have nice dried sea star and sea urchin shops there... a place to roller blade and lots of bitchy whiney old people (as this article clearly demonstrates) That sucks. I've been to Hermosa Beach a few times and I never even knew about this little "South Park" though it doesn't sound like much- I would love to get a picture of myself infront of an official city sign that read "South Park." I wonder if they have one? I should make a special trip down there to get a photo op' before they take it down... stupid whiney old people.
Kyle Loves Me// Albino.black.sheep is my accountabilabuddy! *tackle hugs*
Shiek927

Postby Shiek927 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:51 pm

Tweak_Hammertime wrote:Stan: "A bunch of fat skanks on thier periods?"

Mr Garrison: "Yes, but who was the leader of the fat skanks on thier periods?"

I've forgotten which episode that quote was in, but it seems completely relevant to this.

That's Lil Crime Stoppers and Cartman says that.
Through the years we all will be together...if our fates allow...

"Whats your name?"
"What's in a name?"
Kyle and Rebecca.
IneedBoutTREEFIDDY

Postby IneedBoutTREEFIDDY » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:03 pm

Maybe the South Park convention center(about 30 minutes from my awesome town) should think about changing their name too! And there is the big billboard out on the interstate advertising it, tear it down!
Setting the standard since 1852
Infusions

Postby Infusions » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:38 pm

Why would you wanna change the name of a place based on a great and awesome cartoon?

..Oh man, I should totally make an outrageous cartoon with it's location being in New Jersey just so they'll want to change it's name. HAH, TAKE THAT NEW JERSEY! BITCHES!

YEAH, I JUST CALLED YOU GUYS FEMALE DOGS, WHADDAYA GONNA DO ABOUT THAT NOW, HMMM?
What's the difference between a 7-11 and a smurf?

A 7-11 is a 24-hour convenience store and a smurf is a small blue fictional cartoon character.
Unhooded Kenny

Postby Unhooded Kenny » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:49 am

It's a very common place name and I don't think they should change it. It's like telling anyone named Kenny to change his name because he's a character in the show.

To the author of this article, Kenny hasn't died regularly since season 5, half the show's run.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:58 pm

I make maps for a living and I can tell you there are for sure plenty of other South Park's out there. I've even seen schools named "South Park".

So to hell with Hermosa Beach and it's whiny old bitties. There's plenty of other South Park-age out there:
(Oshkosh, Wisconsin)

You read it! You can't unread it!
Tweak_Hammertime

Postby Tweak_Hammertime » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:41 pm

Nicccceeeeee!!
We love you england, we do!
haggin13

Postby haggin13 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:05 am

ive heard rumor that there acually is a south park colorado but i have never been able to find it on a map
region7cards

Postby region7cards » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:18 am

god i hate fat old women who think they know everything and are about as mature as a 3rd grade girl
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:58 am

Wow, that lady(Miller) must be the oldest South Park fan.
That's how it's down here on the farm!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”