Stanley Cup is moraly and ethically wrong

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

dmills21

Stanley Cup is moraly and ethically wrong

Postby dmills21 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:45 am

my mom had cancer and i joined this web log thing just so i could talk to other fans about what these assh*les have done
Last edited by dmills21 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
AssassinKenny

Postby AssassinKenny » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:46 am

hey kid I'm sorry for your mom but shut the f*ck up. South Park wasn't made for everyone so stop your whining and f*ck off
Athena1999 wrote:AssassinKenny, I officially love you.

sig by Mr.Hat DX27, and that is me in that sig
dmills21

Postby dmills21 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:50 am

well buddy, im sorry u have such a hostile manner towards my comment, but I now know the quality of other south park fans. haha its quite funny that you are so bitter for no reason, but its a good thing you have a pc to hide behind because I dont think I would be able to keep my cool if I was having a discussion with you in person
AssassinKenny

Postby AssassinKenny » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:53 am

I'm not hiding behind my pc or anything. I'm just stating the obvious that one of the risks of watching South Park means you might be offended by something. If you want to take something so far as to come onto a South Park fan site and sign up just because you were offended is just taking something way too far. It wasn't personally directed towards you at all. Now you need to take what will be given to you. There'll be more just like mine and you can bet money on that.

StanismyMan

Postby StanismyMan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:55 am

I'm sorry, but why does this need a thread? I don't get the point. If you want to get a point across, there are many other threads that you can say this on. It doesn't need a thread by itself. And, why do you think this episode was bad?
Athena1999 wrote:Camels
dmills21

Postby dmills21 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:59 am

honestly guys i am a huge fan, its just the dying of cancer that kinda got me. And I KNOW thats my individual situation. But i feel sorry for people that found that episode humerous, thats all im saying.
aaronw82

Postby aaronw82 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:04 am

I am an loyal watcher of south park for 10 years. I was there from the beginning and i haven't missed an episode. I love how south park always breaches taboo issues, things that are likely to offend certain people, things that are not in real life funny but in the context of the story become funny.

The story tonight just didnt set up a context in which i could laugh at a little child dying of leukemia. My mother died of cancer also, and although i agree AssassinKenny that south park isnt for everyone, i don't know what person would get entertainment value out of the idea of a little child dying of leukemia. I might have been able to laugh if it was an adult dying. But I can't help to think of some child actually lying in a hospitable bed somewhere dying of cancer and having watched that show. This episode wouldn't have just offended that child, it would have really crushed his hope. That's unforgivable.

I'm all for freedom of speech and I am not looking to get this episode banned. But I'm just exercising my freedom of speech by saying that, for the first time in 10 years, i was really really dissapointed in the writers of the show.

Anyone who really laughed when the child died at the end, I would suggest they head up to Children's Cancer Unit at the Dana Farber in Boston. There are plenty of children dying of cancer there. I'm sure you'll have blast.
Rhoq

Postby Rhoq » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:09 am

Sorry about your mother, but with all due respect - if you had actually paid attention to the episode, you would have noticed that the leukemia subplot was handled quite delicately. The disease itself was never made into a laughing matter, so I fail to see what got you so upset. This is South Park, what exactly were you expecting?

If anything, they handled most if it quite realistically. These kids are only 5 years old. They don't grasp how enormously devastating something like cancer can be. Small children, through their innocence, sometimes say things out of naivety. Something like "does this mean we're going to get cancer" is something a kid that age might say. In the episode's context, those moments were quite funny. They were much-needed tension breakers, since everything dealing with leukemia was rather heavy.

That aside, I'd like to thank Parker & Stone for giving their critics the middle finger with not one, but two Steve Irwin references tonight. What people fail to realize is that nothing is sacred in South Park.
Last edited by Rhoq on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
PEACE--->Rhoq
dmills21

Postby dmills21 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:10 am

Wow man, i was beginning to think everyone were gonna have dick responses. I mean, i watch south park to laugh my ass off. If i wanted to watch real life tragedies, I would watch lifetime. Im sorry for your mom, and Im glad you feel the same way, u know I just wished these guys put out a warning first, because i guess people that dont have cancer in their family whether its a death or cemo/radiation, etc. Just dont understand.
dmills21

Postby dmills21 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:13 am

well buddy this is my last comment. but to answer your question, i watch south park TO LAUGH MY ASS OFF as i previously stated. not to watch little kids die. PERIOD
Rhoq

Postby Rhoq » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:14 am

aaronw82 wrote:Anyone who really laughed when the child died at the end, I would suggest they head up to Children's Cancer Unit at the Dana Farber in Boston. There are plenty of children dying of cancer there. I'm sure you'll have blast.

If anyone laughed - it wasn't because the little boy died. I think we can all agree that that is nothing to laugh about. These season finales are usually about Stan Marsh and what awkward, fucked-up situation he's facing. This year it was coaching Pee-Wee Hockey and dealing with emotional stress of having one of his players hospitalized due to leukemia. The joke was all about Stan and how things can go from worse to WORSE. Stan's team got their asses kicked, lost the game and on top of all of that - the kid died. It was a joke, yeah maybe a little morbid - but a joke nonetheless.

Welcome to South Park. Leave your sensitivity at the door.
Last edited by Rhoq on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PEACE--->Rhoq
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:15 am

In this same episode, they made another joke about Steve Irwin.

Cancer's a horrible disease, M&T don't make fun of tragedies. Sorry if you read it that way, but I really don't think they meant to make fun of those people. They showed cancer as being nothing but a life taking disease. They made no joke about the actual disease of cancer, merely the cliche of people in movies. The joke was focused on movies where a person makes a dying request, not people suffering from cancer.
Rhoq

Postby Rhoq » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:18 am

Tweeks_Coffee wrote:Cancer's a horrible disease, M&T don't make fun of tragedies. Sorry if you read it that way, but I really don't think they meant to make fun of those people. They showed cancer as being nothing but a life taking disease. They made no joke about the actual disease of cancer, merely the cliche of people in movies. The joke was focused on movies where a person makes a dying request, not people suffering from cancer.

Thank you. This post pretty much sums it all up.
PEACE--->Rhoq
AssassinKenny

Postby AssassinKenny » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:21 am

I'll admit that dying kids aren't funny and the ending did kinda suck but still, Matt and Trey weren't poking fun at cancer. To quote the guy above up there, they made 2 jokes about Steve Irwin too

aaronw82

Postby aaronw82 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:26 am

Rhoq wrote:Sorry about your mother, but with all due respect - if you had actually paid attention to the episode, you would have noticed that the leukemia subplot was handled quite delicately. The disease itself was never made into a laughing matter, so I fail to see what got you so upset. This is South Park, what exactly were you expecting?

If anything, they handled most if it quite realistically. These kids are only 5 years old. They don't grasp how enormously devastating something like cancer can be. Small children, through their innocence, sometimes say things out of naivety. Something like "does this mean we're going to get cancer" is something a kid that age might say. In the episode's context, those moments were quite funny. They were much-needed tension breakers, since everything dealing with leukemia was rather heavy.

That aside, I'd like to thank Parker & Stone for giving their critics the middle finger with not one, but two Steve Irwin references tonight. What people fail to realize is that nothing is sacred in South Park.

I suppose those moments in between were funny. I thought the comments by the other children were actually funny. I'm reacting to the ending. The flatline just wasn't funny. I know the reason the child died was cause they lost, i got the punchline. But in very few contexts can watching a little child in a hospital bed go flat-line from leukemia be funny. That part specifically was the part i had a problem with. I just can't imagine who would have laughed at that.

I think even the writers of this show acknowledge that in some cases, somethings are sacred. Not even south park made fun of the people who died at the WTC on 9/11 shortly after it happened ...Why? Cause it would have been overkill. No one would have found it funny.

South Park is a show to entertain people, entertaining doesn't mean showing the worse things possible. Even my housemate, someone unaffected by cancer personally, didn't find that funny, and he's even a more dedicated fan than I am. I just hope the writers reflect a little over what they just showed and realize that it was a lousy punch-line

Return to “General South Park Discussion”