how many seasons should south park go for?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

sk8terzrock

Postby sk8terzrock » Thu May 31, 2007 8:39 am

15 Is Enough I Mean Look At How Bad Family Guy And The Simpsons Have Gotten
ERIC THEODORE CARTMANImageImage

http://www.madmaxtaylor.piczo.com
have msn add mad_max_4000@msn.com
gazm

Postby gazm » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:20 am

South Park has become a sketch show, changing the main character's personalities to suit that specific week's current affairs.

I know I’m new, so before you shoot me down I should mention that I am a huge SP fan and have been since Season 1 first broadcast in UK in 1998. Also, unlike a lot of 'fans' in the UK, I stuck with south park past Season 4. When they stopped showing it completely in the UK, I started buying episodes on DVD.
Anyway, I'm just trying to point out that I am a true fan.

S1-7 were amazing, practically perfect. S8 was still great, but in retrospect it shows signs of imploding; 'Cartman's Incredible Gift' was boring and changed Cartman's character too much, 'Something Wall-Mart This Way Comes' was utterly ridiculous - watch 'Gnomes' to see how it should be done, and 'Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset' just went for the cheapest, laziest jokes. 'The Passion of the Jew', 'The Jeffersons', 'Pre-School' and 'Quest for Ratings' were all divine, though. Oh and the animation also went to sh*t with S8+ for some reason.

S9 was much the same with only 'Marjorine' standing out as classic 'Park.

S10 and it all goes tits-up! 'Cartoon Wars' had some nice ideas, but no jokes at all. 'Smug Alert' ran for 22 minutes with one recurring joke, smelling farts just won't hold up for 22 mins! But at least one joke is better than 'A Million Little Fibres’, 'Tsst' and 'Stanley's Cup' which were totally devoid of any humour at all.

'Damien' is an obvious film parody, as is 'Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow'. One cleverly integrates ideas from a film into the SP world; the other just recreates the film using SP characters. LAZY AND UNFUNNY!!!!!

And this brings me nicely back to my original point; South Park was always about a small mountain town where familiar characters cope with odd things happening. Now the stories may as well be anywhere in America, if you shut your eyes the characters are totally unrecognisable and change on a weekly bases and EVERYONE overacts. If it weren’t an animation I would swear all the actors were first year Drama students trying way too hard. Randy Marsh is a case in point, look at him in 'Make Love, Not Warcraft' a complete dick, and in 'Spontaneous Combustion' utterly hilarious!

Remember (Crowd) "We love you Randy", (Old Lady) "Make love to me Randy" SOOOO funny!

Right, newbie rant over - feel free to shoot me down :D
Schantrac

Postby Schantrac » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:35 pm

You are more intelligent that 99% of the noobs we get around here.. so I won't shoot you down, and I don't think other polite members will either. :P

As for South Park.. I don't think it should go on longer that 12 seasons..
No moar sig lolz.

Until I make a better one anyways.

My soundclick profile.
MaxwellsSilverHammer

Postby MaxwellsSilverHammer » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:22 pm

Eh. SP is already starting to get run into the ground.. I think they should cut it off at the end of 12 seasons as well. I mean.. "D-Yikes!" was boring as hell, and "Night of the Living Homeless" was starting to approach Family Guy levels with the constant "CHAAAAANGE?" and the guy trying to kill himself for a full minute. >< Not that there weren't some nice things about Season 11 (The Snuke was SUCH a well-done parody, and Cartman Sucks was just plain amazing XDD), but it's just generally starting to lose steam, in my opinion.

I miss the old charm it used to have. And yeah, I agree with gazm as far as the overreaction thing goes. At some points, I would think they're trying to say "YES! LOOK AT THIS!! IT'S FUNNY! LAUGH AT IT!! HA HA HA HA!!" through their characters (e.g. Randy Marsh's unfathomable lack of common sense and constant freaking out). Humour is a lot better when it's subtle and indirect. The little trailing-off sorts of lines are so much funnier because they just randomly hit us in the face. And the Jew-jokes are getting a bit old. Yes, we know Cartman is anti-Semitic. Yes, we know he's a manipulative little bastard and the worst possible child any mother could ever be forced to deal with. Must you ram it into our heads yet another 490 times?

..Okay, I realise I'm making the show sound SO much worse than it is. It's really not THAT bad; I can find a lot of humour in it still, and the subtlety isn't TOTALLY gone. It's just these certain little things that bother me and get me ranting and complaining a whole ton. :P I'd probably still watch it as long as it kept going on.. these are just a few warning signs I see right now..
Ich bin über alles.
SoundClick [35 pieces // last update: 07.03.09]
DeadArtist

Postby DeadArtist » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:06 pm

South Park should run as long as people still watch. :zombiekenny:
Thrawny

Postby Thrawny » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:00 pm

I will admit South Park is loosing some its glory. The writers should take perhaps a year off after season 12. This will perhaps help them recover their creativity which has been overtapped.

South Park peaked between seasons 5 and 7. The ones after that where hit or miss.
--------------------

Thrawny
DeadArtist

Postby DeadArtist » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:44 pm

dont they get 6 months off every half-season?
erics_brother_eric

Postby erics_brother_eric » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:52 am

i rekon they shouldnt stop i mean look,at the start the eps were pretty good but now they are ultimate and have the power supreme over other cartoons like american dad.i mean they might just keep geting better or even if they stay the same that will still be awesome-O-power.the jokes and stuff are just so funny that theyre to good for wood :lol:
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K

Postby S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:42 am

all you f*ckin people saying it should stop at season 12? well f*ck you open ur f*ckin eyes and ur f*ckin ears u f*ckin dumb ass cunts, family guy is funny, simpsons is just gay, south park is funny, d-yikes was funny, night of the living homeless was funny to.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:45 pm

:evil: YOU'RE GAY!!!
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K

Postby S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:43 am

^your gay
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:03 am

You're a towel.
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K

Postby S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:12 am

ur a fag
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:27 am

...You're so gay, your rainbow flag has eight colors!

So anywho, if season 11b and 12 keep picking up momentum, I see no reason why they should hang it up.
I do wonder if maybe they should take more than six months off to unwind, and gather more ideas. However, I don't think I'd want it turning into The Sopranos, where they had a new season every 5 years or whatever the hell it was.
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K

Postby S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:24 am

EXCUSE ME, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO POST IN REGULAR LETTERS. MY KEYBOARD IS ON CAPS LOCK AT ALL TIMES.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”