[S11 Status] How do you like the Spring run?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

gooneh

Postby gooneh » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:55 am

Favourite was Fantastic Easter Special, followed by the Snuke, Night of the Living Homeless, Cartman Sucks, Lice Capades, With Apologies to Jessie Jackson and then D-yikes.

WATJJ was a decent episode, but asides from the openning gag and the end fight, i wasn't really intrigued that much. Same deal with D-yikes, somewhat filler and as much as i liked 300, i didn't really like the parody.

Overall, i'd say this has been the best openning run since season 8...i.e. a much better run that season 9's openning imho. The only episodes i rate in season 9's openning run are The Losing Edge, Die Hippies Die and The Death of Eric Cartman.

Compared with season 10? I'd say slightly better...season 11 had me laughing harder, that's for sure, but i think season 10 had some more intriguing storylines.
UnkieHerb

Postby UnkieHerb » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:10 am

It's been great. One of the best opening runs of any SP season. It didn't really have any bad episodes like Erection Day or AMLF, just weak ones, and the highlights (Lice Capades, Fantastic Easter Special, NoTLH) were all classics. WATJJ and Cartman Sucks were decent, while D-Yikes and The Snuke were weak, but still got a laugh or two out of me.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:52 am

It's been pretty good. Better than the first run of season 10 in my opinion.
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:06 pm

Half season ratings

1.With apoligies to jesse jackson- 8/10
2.Cartman sucks- 8/10
3.Lice capades- 9/10
4.The snuke- 9/10
5.Fantastic easter special- 9/10
6.D-yikes!- 6/10
7.Night of the living homeless- 10/10

Half season average- 8.4

Great season. Except for D-yikes, all the episodes were good.
DevilAngel16

Postby DevilAngel16 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:32 am

I thought the Spring run was absolutely amazing overall. However, my least favorite episode out of this half was D-Yikes! I didn't dislike it, but it was simply too weird for me, and I would've liked to have seen more of the boys rather than the Persians and lesbos.

The other six episodes were all equally fantastic, in my opinion. I can't even choose a favorite; I loved them all.

(Okay, if I had to pick, I'd definitely say Night of the Living Homeless was my favorite. It was just so awesome. "Chaaaange.")

XD
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:22 pm

I found this half-season to be enjoyable, with my favorite ones being WATJJ and the Easter Special. The ones I didn't really care for were the Lice episode and D-yikes, mainly because both deviated from the boys a tad too much. But overall, all that matters is that I got more laughs out of these episodes than current Simpsons episodes. ;)

Every step back a step foward.
Every failure an extra opportunity for success.
Every day of defeat a victory!
Cold Machine

Postby Cold Machine » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:34 pm

My current ratings for the first half of Season 11:

From best to worst...

1. Night of the Living Homeless.
2. Lice Capades.
3. Fantastic Easter Special.
4. Cartman Sucks.
5. D-Yikes!
6. The Snuke.
7. With Apologies to Jesse Jackson.

To me, some of these episodes are just as good -if not better- than anything from Seasons 7-10. It was just a great first half, plain and simple. Awesome stuff so far. Let's hope they can top themselves come the next run!
"A minute's success pays the failure of years." - Robert Browning
ImMrDurp

Postby ImMrDurp » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:14 am

Since it's somewhat relevant, I'll post what I did in a different thread:

"I feel like writing about this on a forum doesn't matter, but it really depresses me the direction South Park is going in. It's stopped being about the every day escapades of some 3rd graders, and now it spends all its time spoofing everything...in some respects, it's become too much like the Scary Movie series where it's less concerned with being legitimately funny, and more reliant on recalling recent events/pop culture phenomenons.

It's still good, and I live for that occasional episode that isn't spoofing something specific (Cartman Sucks was the best episode this season), but lately it's all been about either NONE of the boys, or like one or two of them dealing with something happening to all of south park, not having their own adventures.

I wish there was a panel somewhere I could ask Matt and Trey about the direction they're taking it...but for the meantime I just have to hope that they'll see that the new direction isn't as funny, and that the show is simply more entertaining when it's about the crazy adventures of a bunch of 3rd/4th graders."

In any case, the episodes rate like this, 5 being average/boring.

Jesse Jackson: 6.5/10. N-guy stuff got ANNOYING.
Cartman Sucks: 8.5/10. Good because it focused on THE BOYS, not spoofing stuff.
Lice Capades: 4.5/10. Boring, not very funny.
The Snuke: 7/10. Solid episode. Dragged at points, and again, it seemed like the boys aren't even main characters anymore.
Easter: 8/10. Started weak, was awesome by the end.
D-Yikes: 6/10. Conversely, started really strong, then we didn't see anymore of the boys. It relied too much on repeated usage of scissoring as a joke (it was funny THE FIRST TIME.).
Night of the Living Homeless: 8/10. Good because it spoofed while STILL incorporating the boys.

It's sad, really. Up until like Season 8/9, every episode pretty much would be a seven or higher from me, but this season the average is around 6...I don't even really feel motivated to tune in anymore, and I don't plan on buying Season 10, or so far 11 on DVD.
Sonnyvice

Postby Sonnyvice » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:58 pm

^ Wise words.
spudz47

Postby spudz47 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:06 pm

My favorites are "Night of the Living Homeless" (The song was great fun and the episode focused more on the guys - top notch) and "Snuke" (24 parody was kool and Cartman looking all bad ass was pretty good :P )
I don't know why I didn't like Lice Capades so much...the lice weren't that interesting for me...still a nice episode :)
And D-Yikes wasn't that bad...Started out nice...
Still - a great season so far... :)
Hwangman

Postby Hwangman » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:05 pm

MrDurp summed it up perfectly.

I usually don't post on this forum, but i felt compelled to chime in regarding the direction of the series over the past couple of seasons. It seems like the goal of most episodes has been to spoof whatever is popular in the media that month. I think that's a mistake, as it severely dates the particular episode.

For me, the charm of the episodes is that it deals w/somewhat "normal" kids growing up in a weird town. There's enough funny material present in their interractions w/the world around them to make quality episodes. I really don't think we need episode-after-episode making fun of celebriies, fads, trends, movies, etc. The boys being "boys" is entertaining enough.
Buttercupelizabeth

Spring run -- uneven and mysterious

Postby Buttercupelizabeth » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:06 pm

Thank you for asking about the spring run because I found it uneven. Loved the first three episodes: Apologies to Jesse Jackson, Mystery of the Urinal Deuce, and my favorite -- Lice Capades (an episode that reminds us all why South Park is such a great show). Did not like the one about Easter, the dyke one, the homeless one, or the snuke.

With the homeless one -- it was same old, same old. Haven't they done this kind of thing before with the town panicking over something exagerrated but in fact having teeth (the elderly driving, global warming, Walmart, etc.) And in these episodes -- isn't it always Randy, the buffoon, freaking out? I just feel like the plots for these four were either underdeveloped or old and stale -- not up to the usual writing standards of South Park.

So the question is why -- why were the first three episodes of this season exemplary and the last four lacking? What happened in between? Don't you want to KNOW? I do.

(P.S., have you noticed that bump in Matt Stone's tummy in the past three months?)

Return to “General South Park Discussion”