New school vs. Old school

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

FaShiznor117

New school vs. Old school

Postby FaShiznor117 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:28 am

So, as you know, the show has undergone some changes. Voices, main characters, and overall type of humor has changed. From seasons 1, 2, and even 3 to a complete different feeling of seasons 8, 9, 10. Which do you like better? Do you anticipate those new episodes, or do you love to pop in those old DVD's and go back?

For me, I couldn't choose. They complement eachother so well. The olders were classic, while the new episodes are fresh in comparison.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:33 am

The old school episodes f*cking own.
gooneh

Postby gooneh » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:49 am

Seasons 1-3: Funny in it's toilet humour and excessive vulgarity
Seasons 4-7: Branched out and reached it's creative peak, my favourite era
Seasons 8-10: Alot more satirical and cutting edge (taking alot of recent events)

so old school vs new school?...middle school for me :P
kacy__sp

Postby kacy__sp » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:17 am

I like both. but old school was funnier. new school eps seem like they're trying too hard to be offensive
ImageImageImage
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:13 am

kacy__sp wrote:I like both. but old school was funnier. new school eps seem like they're trying too hard to be offensive

That is one reason why I think the old school episodes are better..They are trying too hard to be offensive now, and because of that the quality of the episodes has been suffering, because less time and energy are spent other aspects of the show..If they want to offend, they don't really have to put that much engery into it, since everything that has ever been made for tv has the potential to offend someone.
Sonnyvice

Postby Sonnyvice » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:28 am

First four seasons owns all the new seasons 10000-0
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:52 am

The old days always seem like the best days, but ask yourself:
1. Could Matt and Trey make "Death" now, given the material they're working with these days? Would "Death" own, or would it be out of place?
2. Could you imagine them making the same kind of eps for the last seven years that they did for the first three? Wouldn't you get tired of seeing the same thing year after year?
3. Have Matt and Trey gotten too good at writing for their own good? They've said that they can't look at their old eps anymore because the eps seem so slow now.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Infusions

Postby Infusions » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:15 pm

New school for me. I'm not big on the Old Episodes. I mean, you would think in Cow Days that Cartman thinking his a vietnamese prositute is funny. But... It wasn't as funny as it turned out to be.

I actually only found alot of jokes in the beginning to be funny, than the middle or end.
What's the difference between a 7-11 and a smurf?

A 7-11 is a 24-hour convenience store and a smurf is a small blue fictional cartoon character.
Sonnyvice

Postby Sonnyvice » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:47 pm

Infusions wrote:I mean, you would think in Cow Days that Cartman thinking his a vietnamese prositute is funny. But... It wasn't as funny as it turned out to be.

Actually it was. That episode is just great.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:40 am

Sonnyvice wrote:
Infusions wrote:I mean, you would think in Cow Days that Cartman thinking his a vietnamese prositute is funny. But... It wasn't as funny as it turned out to be.

Actually it was. That episode is just great.

Yeah, the thought of Cartman dressed as a hooker saying "Sucky, sucky, five dollar" still puts a smile on my face.

And, I don't really see a reason why Death couldn't be made today..It is true that writers can get away with alot more in tv and in movies than they could in 1997, but there are always going to be angry parents who will go protest the movies or tv shows they feel are offensive.

And, you what I am tired of Will? I am sick of getting a lecture everytime I turn on a new episode of South Park.
polymorph

Postby polymorph » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:06 am

I find it hard to choose between the old and the new but either way I'm glad that the show goes through changes it makes it more intresting not knowing exactly witch direction the show is going to take.
Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers
Alfred E. Neuman

Postby Alfred E. Neuman » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:41 am

I can't decide. I really like the early episodes just because of the humor and seeing 3rd graders curse (I too was in 3rd grade and cursed alot) and I alo love the newer episodes very much because of the political humor in some of the episodes.
Jay C

Postby Jay C » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:53 am

gooneh wrote:Seasons 1-3: Funny in it's toilet humour and excessive vulgarity
Seasons 4-7: Branched out and reached it's creative peak, my favourite era
Seasons 8-10: Alot more satirical and cutting edge (taking alot of recent events)

so old school vs new school?...middle school for me :P

Ditto, that's my stance on it all too. Of course, if I had to choose between just the old school and the new school, I'd have to pick old-school. I still really love the newer episodes too, though.
Read my horrible webcomic you fat assh*le!
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:02 am

It depends a lot on the episode. I say that parts of season ten were really weak, but all seasons have their weak spots. As others have said- they don't need to try so hard to "offend" because well.. "trying too hard" is like constipation and no fun at all. XD

Also, I think that they really shouldn't be writing about Colorado anymore. I know that would mean the end of "South Park", but let's be honest, they don't live there anymore and haven't for a long time. They've been living in Beverly Hills and they don't know what the Hell is going on in Colorado anymore.

Even though I still enjoy many episodes of the newer seasons (I think Marjorine is my all time fave episode and that's relatively new.) I notice a trend towards California centered stories (Smug and the Halloween Party) that makes sense to me because that's what they know- it creates a difference in the story subjects because Colorado and California are probably as different as states can get.

People notice this difference and maybe like or dislike the show for it or feel cheated because they miss the Colorado stories. I dunno... but to me thats where the major change exists between old school and new school- like it or not. I happen to like it.
Kyle Loves Me// Albino.black.sheep is my accountabilabuddy! *tackle hugs*
Demon_spwan

Postby Demon_spwan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:29 am

I like the old school eps better cause it was all about the boys. There wasn't really a lot of episodes in season 10 about the boys.
The Butter's Show should be the first episode of the 11th season

Return to “General South Park Discussion”