A paper writen of SP for school

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

wheeler78

A paper writen of SP for school

Postby wheeler78 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:15 pm

hey I wrote this paper for my edpsy calss on SP what do you guys think?

[center]South Park and Our Schools Today[/center]

I know that you might think at first that this is just a joke and that the TV show South Park has no moral value for today’s teachers. But fear not I will link the two for the purpose of this paper. The show offers many episodes that show the school systems in the cynical and a favorable way. It frequently shows the views of the student, teacher, and even the parent. I will lay out this paper so that it describes the show briefly then how it relates to this class, and thus relate to adolescents.

The first episode I’ll talk to about is #610 Bebe’s Boobs Destroy Society. In this episode a girl in the shows 4th grade develops breast. This causes the male students to become engrossed, it also causes the girl students to become very mean to her. This causes her to feel like a big outsider. In the end the boys learn a lesion about controlling themselves. This most likely won’t happen to this degree in our schools but many girls might get this feeling. Also as a male growing up I know for a fact that once girls started to mature just about all the boys noticed.

The next episode I will talk about is #507 Proper Condom Use. In this episode the boys learn about sex, from the 5th graders. The parents are outraged and make the school teach sex education at an earlier age. The students learn a scare tactic forum of sex education. This make them forum sides and fight. The whole time the teachers didn’t even know about the subject and thus the students were misinformed. A small war between the boys and girls break out and the whole town realizes that the parents should talk about sex with their kids and not just the teachers, and the teachers should know the material their teaching. Once again students aren’t going to start a small war over fear of getting AIDS or other STDs. How ever educating wrong is worse than not educating at all. If a student never learns how to multiply they will catch on later in life in more advanced math classes; however if they are taught that 5x5=20 then math will be harder for them then if they never learned that. This episode also shows just how parents depend on the school to do almost all the teaching. It also shows a cynical view on their power over the school board.

These two episodes show just how a simple comical show like South Park can be taken to teach a lesion, about or schools and how our students interact. To be a successful teacher you must learn about your students and you must learn about “the system” of the school. South Park offers an exaggerated version of these. If taken the right way

[Edited for easy reading - Big-Will. Also, you could have done a better job at spelling. I don't wanna learn any lesions about South Park from you. :lol:]
Kenny Da King

Postby Kenny Da King » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:07 am

Is this for a sex ed, or health class? Because I don't remember phys ed ever covering sexual topics. Those are good relations to everyday society, but I think you still could have referenced some more episodes as well. For example, the Special olympics episode which covers the Steroids topic.

What grade are you in? Because the youngest group of people I think south park is most appropriate for moral lessons/values is High School aged kids.
Alfred E. Neuman

Postby Alfred E. Neuman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:52 am

Nice paper. I remember when I did something like that on The Simpsons in 8th grade English.
wheeler78

Postby wheeler78 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:54 am

it's for education psychology we talk about maturing teens in this class. I will teach high school science.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”