About Costa Rica episode

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

RonnyBC

About Costa Rica episode

Postby RonnyBC » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:29 pm

Es indignate el episodio de este "programa" donde una vez más hacen burla de la cultura latina, específicamente, en es te caso de Costa Rica.

Muy comúnmente la cinematografía gringa hace burla hacia la cultura Latinoamérica, esta vez en esta serie animada.

Nos preguntamos porque hacen referencia a Costa Rica como un país lleno de prostitutas, si todo mundo sabe que este negocio existe gracias a los miles y miles de gringos que llegan por este servicio. Me parece que si para ellos la prostitución es algo malo, pues es contradictorio porque eso existe gracias a ellos que son los consumidores. Igualmente en el contrabando de drogas, los narcos no obligan a nadie a consumirla, cada uno es libre de elegir y para nadie es un secreto que el gran mercado es LOS ESTADOS UNIDOS DE NORTEAMERICA. ¿Porque nos tildan de malas personas gringos, si ustedes son los consumidores? ¿Porque siempre los colombianos son los malos de las películas?...que contradictorio, no?

Si bien es cierto que somos un país con problemas, pues deberían de velar por los de ustedes. Esta las gemelas les han destruido....

South Park es un programa blasfemo, inmoral. Es cierto que es para mayores de 18 años, pero es una falta de respeto que este al aire.

A los creadores de esta basura los invito a conocer las bellezas que ofrece Costa Rica, por que de entrada se nota que son bien ignorantes, ya que somos uno de los puntos turísticos mas importantes del mundo.

Atentamente un costarricense.

=========================================

(translation by Big-Will)

This episode of this "program" where once again they make fun of Latin culture is shameful, specifically in the case of Costa Rica.

Quite frequently American cinematography makes fun of Latin American culture, this time in this animated series.

We wonder why they refer to Costa Rica as a country full of whores, since the whole world know that prostitution exists thanks to thousands and thousands of gringos who come here for this service. It seems to me that if prostitution is something bad for for them, it's a contradiction, because it exists thanks to them who are its customers. Same thing with drug contraband: the narcs don't force anyone to take drugs; each one of us is free to choose and it's no secret to anyone that the biggest market is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Why do gringos call us bad people, if you're the consumers? Why are the Colombians always the bad guys in movies? Contradictory, isn't it?

It's quite true that we're a country with problems, but you should be mindful of yours. Your Twin Towers were destroyed...

South Park is a blasphemous, immoral program. It's true that it's for people 18 and over, but it's disrespectful that it's still on the air.

To the makers of this trash I invite you to learn about the beauty Costa Rica has to offer, because at first blush one can see they're real ignorant, now that we're one of the most important tourist destinations in the world.

Yours truely, a Costa Rican.
randyhart

Postby randyhart » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:47 pm

Rainforests are totally Gay!

Talk English or be locked
If you want Faith+1 go here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19823&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dont ever leave me Jesus I couldnt stand to see you go
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:20 pm

[snip]
Okay, never use online translators again, though I think we have the gist of it.

1- The show is a f*cking comedy, and since Costa Rica IS a third world country, it's funny to show it as a drug run prostitute fun land. It mocks Americans very often, and because you're an assh*le with no sense of humour, you decide to say something.

2- Yes, we are well aware that we consume the majority of drugs. However, it seems as though you were defending the people who make the drugs...then go on to call South Park immoral. You are a hypocrite.

3- One wonders if you've ever seen South Park, aside from one episode. If you answer with only seeing that one OR only a few, then your points are ill-informed and moot.

4- Speak English on the f*cking forum.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
madcostarican

Postby madcostarican » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:46 pm

First of all I wan to reply to MR. RandyHart. Look you f*** idiot... no rain forest no air to breath... people like you are the ones f*cking it up for the rest of us taking care of the planet by recycling, reforesting, lowering the hydrocarbons and more. Maybe you are one of those thinking that you just don't give a sh*t 'cause you'll be probably death by then ... well .... praise the lord for that. Hopefully more and more people will realize that the future, if any, is on our hands.

Now .. let's get into the real issue here.. .The South Park trip to Costa Rica.

As a Costarican I must say yes... most of the things you mention in the show are true: yes, prostitution is legal in Costa Rica; yes, there are places that smell like an American's Butt (same as any other world citizen's butt ... no mean to offend ); yes, there are many many places that are dirty and look awful. But you know what, the very same description can be applied to any major city in the US and I am so f*cking sure that 99.9% of the major cities in those places called first world countries have places that would fit into that description.

I am not writing this text to complaint about the show or its content. I just love the show. I am writing this to suggest you do something better that critizise a "poor" country, for example, you could talk to your politicians about invading countries to get oil; about attacking and killing inocent people; maybe some lessons about human right for some, guilty for sure, muslims detained in Cuba, etc etc...

Maybe, you should open the American's eyes about Iran. The precense of US forces the Persic Gulf setting up the environment for a war much much bigger than Irak and that might even take proportions of a World War.

Here in Costa Rica we live in the same shithole you guys live in. Dirt, prostitution, drugs, poverty and more. Listen to the soldiers going back to the US from Irak... I've heard they see the same crap in the US and in the war.

Keep up the show ... its f*cking amazing, but focus in more productive subjects. Open the people eyes; encourage the people to make the world a better place to live in ... or just go for most simple help you can provide: Do not make it worst.
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:52 pm

LOL, this is good comedy. :)

...Come on people, keep it up!
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:57 pm

madcostarican wrote:First of all I wan to reply to MR. RandyHart. Look you f*** idiot... no rain forest no air to breath... people like you are the ones f*cking it up for the rest of us taking care of the planet by recycling, reforesting, lowering the hydrocarbons and more. Maybe you are one of those thinking that you just don't give a sh*t 'cause you'll be probably death by then ... well .... praise the lord for that. Hopefully more and more people will realize that the future, if any, is on our hands.

Now .. let's get into the real issue here.. .The South Park trip to Costa Rica.

As a Costarican I must say yes... most of the things you mention in the show are true: yes, prostitution is legal in Costa Rica; yes, there are places that smell like an American's Butt (same as any other world citizen's butt ... no mean to offend ); yes, there are many many places that are dirty and look awful. But you know what, the very same description can be applied to any major city in the US and I am so f*cking sure that 99.9% of the major cities in those places called first world countries have places that would fit into that description.

I am not writing this text to complaint about the show or its content. I just love the show. I am writing this to suggest you do something better that critizise a "poor" country, for example, you could talk to your politicians about invading countries to get oil; about attacking and killing inocent people; maybe some lessons about human right for some, guilty for sure, muslims detained in Cuba, etc etc...

Maybe, you should open the American's eyes about Iran. The precense of US forces the Persic Gulf setting up the environment for a war much much bigger than Irak and that might even take proportions of a World War.

Here in Costa Rica we live in the same shithole you guys live in. Dirt, prostitution, drugs, poverty and more. Listen to the soldiers going back to the US from Irak... I've heard they see the same crap in the US and in the war.

Keep up the show ... its f*cking amazing, but focus in more productive subjects. Open the people eyes; encourage the people to make the world a better place to live in ... or just go for most simple help you can provide: Do not make it worst.

1-Like I said before, the damned show is a comedy, not a week-by-week political drama. Frankly, it's funny to see a shithole of a country like Costa Rica.
2- I doubt you really know what the hell the soldiers were talking about. They were talking about violence, which is a huge problem in America.
3- I can see from your gross oversimplification of America that you don't understand America and are extremely biased.
4- We live in dirt? Dude, you have never been to America if you think that. Crime Rates, drug addiction rates, and hundreds of other bad factors swing heavily in Costa Rica, less so here.
5- You are an idiot of the highest level.
madcostarican

Postby madcostarican » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:17 pm

1. You are 100% correct. The show is a comedy... I do actually found funny all the things you guys said in the show...you know what ... cause they are true!!!!!!

2. Yes ... I do know what the soldiers were talking about... Maybe my english is not perfect but it's even better than some native speakers. It was a show about the war maybe a week ago ... you should see this things being producers of comedy ... good material there. Like how the US govement wants to "help" the Iraki citizens.

3. Don't get me wrong ... I love your country ... I think it is an amazing place, most of you people are very good persons; you have amazing cities and I can keep talking good things about the USA ... but honetly ... I would like to do it with an open minded person ... not a morron that thinks he lives in a heaven on earth.

4. Buddy ... I don't have to live in America to know you guys live in the same shit-hole we live in. When you visited CR (that's if you did )... did you stay at the best places in town, for 2 or 3 thousand US a night? did you go the beach and spent the day at a $3000 USD a night hotel? did you visit the best places in town?; becuase it seems that only spent your time here visiting the places where the prostitutes are, buying drugs where it smells like sh*t and smoking it at dirty places ... gues what ... it's like being in the US... it is all the same crap here, there and anywhere in the world now.

5. I am an idiot of the highest level??? Maybe... but then I am an idiot talking to another.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:45 pm

madcostarican wrote:1. You are 100% correct. The show is a comedy... I do actually found funny all the things you guys said in the show...you know what ... cause they are true!!!!!!

2. Yes ... I do know what the soldiers were talking about... Maybe my english is not perfect but it's even better than some native speakers. It was a show about the war maybe a week ago ... you should see this things being producers of comedy ... good material there. Like how the US govement wants to "help" the Iraki citizens.

3. Don't get me wrong ... I love your country ... I think it is an amazing place, most of you people are very good persons; you have amazing cities and I can keep talking good things about the USA ... but honetly ... I would like to do it with an open minded person ... not a morron that thinks he lives in a heaven on earth.

4. Buddy ... I don't have to live in America to know you guys live in the same sh*t-hole we live in. When you visited CR (that's if you did )... did you stay at the best places in town, for 2 or 3 thousand US a night? did you go the beach and spent the day at a $3000 USD a night hotel? did you visit the best places in town?; becuase it seems that only spent your time here visiting the places where the prostitutes are, buying drugs where it smells like sh*t and smoking it at dirty places ... gues what ... it's like being in the US... it is all the same crap here, there and anywhere in the world now.

5. I am an idiot of the highest level??? Maybe... but then I am an idiot talking to another.

1. Stop saying you guys said this and you guys said that. We don't make the show. We're the fans.

2. It's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about. I have yet to see an episode of South Park that takes the side of Bush and his cronies and says we're in Iraq purely to help the Iraqis.

3. I don't think America is heaven on Earth, but sure as hell is better than most places.

4. The Quality of Life for the AVERAGE CITIZEN(You know, the people who don't go to the fanciest of places or the best place sin town) is MUCH higher in the United States than in Costa Rica.

5. Since you agreed that you are an idiot of the highest order, than you also acknowledge that you have no idea about which you speak. Therefore, everything you've said is moot.
madcostarican

Postby madcostarican » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:05 pm

1. I know you don't make the show ... say it was figure of speech.

2. I would love to see a show where the SP kids take the whole Irak situation, from an objective point of view, and stick it up GWB ass... he is a dangerous man ... not for you ... not for me ... but even worst, FOR HUMANITY.

3. I totally agree with you. Your hell might be a bit smaller than mine.

4. Yes ... the AVG citizen makes more money than us. BTW ... also pays more taxes, higher prices and so on...

5. The only thing that made me an idiot ... was to enter this f*cking forum to fight with an ignorant idiot like you about things I really don't give a sh*t... so you go on with you f*cking morron stupid ass life ... and I will go on with mine - i have to go ... have a place to the caribean to catch ... it was fun to argue with you assh*le.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:06 pm

Just so you Costa Ricans know, at least one person who work on the site regularly works from Costa Rica, and he loves it there. He's taking Spanish lessons so people can understand him better.

The show makes fun of everybody, so it's no use getting pissed off about it.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:19 pm

madcostarican wrote:1. I know you don't make the show ... say it was figure of speech.

2. I would love to see a show where the SP kids take the whole Irak situation, from an objective point of view, and stick it up GWB ass... he is a dangerous man ... not for you ... not for me ... but even worst, FOR HUMANITY.

3. I totally agree with you. Your hell might be a bit smaller than mine.

4. Yes ... the AVG citizen makes more money than us. BTW ... also pays more taxes, higher prices and so on...

5. The only thing that made me an idiot ... was to enter this f*cking forum to fight with an ignorant idiot like you about things I really don't give a sh*t... so you go on with you f*cking morron stupid ass life ... and I will go on with mine - i have to go ... have a place to the caribean to catch ... it was fun to argue with you assh*le.

2. Time and time again I've said this is a comedy show, not a political drama. You seem to not care about the comedy, just the bashing og political figures.

4. It's funny that you say that, because the average Citizen of the United States makes about four times as much as a Costa Rican, and pays double. To simplify it for you:
American- One-Hundred Dollars.
Costa Rican- Twenty-Five Dollars.
American- Has to pay Forty dollars.
Costa Rican- Pays Five Dollars.
American- Has Sixty Dollars left.
CR- Has Twenty.
Winner? USA.

5. The only mistake you made was deciding to go on a firum dominated by Americans and say ignorant sh*t. You deserve to be laughed out of here. Now get out of here, you left-wing ideologue. Oh, and also enjoy another great thing about America: The IGNORE Button.
kaileykorn

Postby kaileykorn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:33 pm

madcostarican wrote:I am not writing this text to complaint about the show or its content. I just love the show. I am writing this to suggest you do something better that critizise a "poor" country, for example, you could talk to your politicians about invading countries to get oil; about attacking and killing inocent people; maybe some lessons about human right for some, guilty for sure, muslims detained in Cuba, etc etc...

You, sir, are a fool. I know this is off-topic to Costa Rica, but we did not f*cking start a war to GET OIL. If we wanted f*cking oil, we could just BUY it for a much cheaper rate than for how much it costs to maintain a war. Besides, the top three places we get our oil from is Alaska, Canada, and Mexico, not f*cking Iraq. So get your facts straight before you present an argument. You sound just like every other person who knows nothing about why USA invaded Iraq, yet they like to think they do. Jesus Christ.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:42 pm

Food for thought: America PRODUCES twice as much oil as Iran and four times as much as Iraq.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:24 pm

Pretty sure South Park has made fun of our own politicians before. I mean, in Best Friends Forever, one of the devil's henchmen is possessing the president. Can't get much more cynical about our government than that.
Jess_B_inCR

About Costa Rica episode

Postby Jess_B_inCR » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Hey y'all, I'm new here. Actually joined up because of this episode we're discussing...I am a US citizen who's been living in CR for over 5 years, have kids who were born here (although my husband's "gringo" too). The other night we were chillin and my friend hollered out that South Park was on and they were making fun of CR, so naturally we all clustered around to watch it. In Spanish, which sucks, but oh well. Now, I know that episode was released forever ago, but it just now aired down here (alas, MTV is behind here). There was naturally a big flap about it in the media--the US isn't too popular here with the fallout from the Iraq crap and the Free Trade Agreement trying to be approved. That's why that dude (madcostarican, I think?) started this thread--he wasn't dragging up old stuff, to him it was fresh. The next day I hopped online at the office to do a bit of searching, to find the episode in English. found this site, and joined immediately because it seems cool. BUT...I gotta say that show was pretty frickin' offensive to someone who is Costa Rican or who knows about the place. CR is a small country, but is very proud, and has a lot of great things about it. Don't get me wrong--there are lots of prostitutes here, and there are lots of dirty places and poverty, but there's the same thing all over the world, in the US too. I will also say to that guy, the comment about gringos creating the market for ho's down here is total crap. Every Tico (slang for Costa Rican person) I know has frequented prostitutes, and it's just an accepted thing. By far the market is fed by local "consumption"--it's just publicized by the tourists. Yeah, there's a definite market for sex tourism due to it being legal, and there are lots of "dirt dicks" (as my husband calls them) who strictly plan a sport-fishin jungle-tour trip to CR just to bang whores. ANYWAY, I'm a reasonable person, a fan of South Park, and I "get" the satire. But living here and seeing such gross distortions of facts and a ton of outright errors (CR hasn't had an army in years, there are NO revolutionaries here, education/literacy is very good, etc.) is hard to swallow anyway. Unfortunately there are lots of dumbasses out there who would watch the show and think it's gospel truth rather than humor. That's probably what burned madcostarican's ass so much--again, they're very proud. And they have a lot to be proud of, because CR is like a little island of peace and civilization in Central America, and has come a long way. They really don't deserve the "third world" designation. But in the interest of humor, here are some more inaccuracies: the CR president wouldn't tell Polack jokes...he'd tell NICA (Nicaraguan) jokes. The kids wouldn't have seen the prostitutes running around in the daytime...they usually come out at night, and most of them are trannies on the streets, since the good-looking girls are all in the expensive hotels with the tourists and CR bigshots! And the guys in the forest wouldn't have been able to provide Cartman with chicken wings...because until Hooters opened a restaurant here (in the area of San Jose where a lot of rich people live, far from the jungle) you couldn't get a decent hot wing to save your life! :lol: But all in all, South Park is definitely an equal-opportunity platform for humiliation of anyone and anything--which is cool, it's freedom of expression, which is guaranteed in both the US and CR. Entonces, madcostarican, tranquilo mai, es solo una broma! pura vida, tu sabes que es la verdad como su pais, es tuanis, es paraiso!! And for those of you uni-lingual people up there in the snow, that means chill out, dude, it's only jokes, you know what the truth is about your country, which is cool and a paradise. Because it is. Cheesy, yeah, but hey, I live here too! Boo-ya! :D

Return to “General South Park Discussion”