About Costa Rica episode

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

icywind

Postby icywind » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:50 pm

Oh good god, you are all so dumb. Can you just shut up and watch the show? I do. I am perfect. You are all idiots. Stop arguing and worship me. >_>
ShaneHaughey

Re: About Costa Rica episode

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:16 pm

Jess_B_inCR wrote:Hey y'all, I'm new here. Actually joined up because of this episode we're discussing...I am a US citizen who's been living in CR for over 5 years, have kids who were born here (although my husband's "gringo" too). The other night we were chillin and my friend hollered out that South Park was on and they were making fun of CR, so naturally we all clustered around to watch it. In Spanish, which sucks, but oh well. Now, I know that episode was released forever ago, but it just now aired down here (alas, MTV is behind here). There was naturally a big flap about it in the media--the US isn't too popular here with the fallout from the Iraq crap and the Free Trade Agreement trying to be approved. That's why that dude (madcostarican, I think?) started this thread--he wasn't dragging up old stuff, to him it was fresh. The next day I hopped online at the office to do a bit of searching, to find the episode in English. found this site, and joined immediately because it seems cool. BUT...I gotta say that show was pretty frickin' offensive to someone who is Costa Rican or who knows about the place. CR is a small country, but is very proud, and has a lot of great things about it. Don't get me wrong--there are lots of prostitutes here, and there are lots of dirty places and poverty, but there's the same thing all over the world, in the US too. I will also say to that guy, the comment about gringos creating the market for ho's down here is total crap. Every Tico (slang for Costa Rican person) I know has frequented prostitutes, and it's just an accepted thing. By far the market is fed by local "consumption"--it's just publicized by the tourists. Yeah, there's a definite market for sex tourism due to it being legal, and there are lots of "dirt dicks" (as my husband calls them) who strictly plan a sport-fishin jungle-tour trip to CR just to bang whores. ANYWAY, I'm a reasonable person, a fan of South Park, and I "get" the satire. But living here and seeing such gross distortions of facts and a ton of outright errors (CR hasn't had an army in years, there are NO revolutionaries here, education/literacy is very good, etc.) is hard to swallow anyway. Unfortunately there are lots of dumbasses out there who would watch the show and think it's gospel truth rather than humor. That's probably what burned madcostarican's ass so much--again, they're very proud. And they have a lot to be proud of, because CR is like a little island of peace and civilization in Central America, and has come a long way. They really don't deserve the "third world" designation. But in the interest of humor, here are some more inaccuracies: the CR president wouldn't tell Polack jokes...he'd tell NICA (Nicaraguan) jokes. The kids wouldn't have seen the prostitutes running around in the daytime...they usually come out at night, and most of them are trannies on the streets, since the good-looking girls are all in the expensive hotels with the tourists and CR bigshots! And the guys in the forest wouldn't have been able to provide Cartman with chicken wings...because until Hooters opened a restaurant here (in the area of San Jose where a lot of rich people live, far from the jungle) you couldn't get a decent hot wing to save your life! :lol: But all in all, South Park is definitely an equal-opportunity platform for humiliation of anyone and anything--which is cool, it's freedom of expression, which is guaranteed in both the US and CR. Entonces, madcostarican, tranquilo mai, es solo una broma! pura vida, tu sabes que es la verdad como su pais, es tuanis, es paraiso!! And for those of you uni-lingual people up there in the snow, that means chill out, dude, it's only jokes, you know what the truth is about your country, which is cool and a paradise. Because it is. Cheesy, yeah, but hey, I live here too! Boo-ya! :D

That is exactly what angered me about him. It was all fine and cool saying that Costa Rica is nice and cool, but it's another to start by insulting people. I don't take kindly to that.

Welcome and enjoy the BBS.:)
That's how it's down here on the farm!
kaileykorn

Postby kaileykorn » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:07 pm

icywind wrote:Oh good god, you are all so dumb. Can you just shut up and watch the show? I do. I am perfect. You are all idiots. Stop arguing and worship me. >_>

What the f*ck?! Who the f*ck are you? Seriously, impersonating another person just because you're too much of a loser to have your own identity is LAME. f*cking get your own screen name or get the f*ck out of here.

Also, you stole Lior's signature. You officially suck, and you deserved to be flamed as you are now being flamed by me.

Now go suck a cock, leave Lior alone, and go f*ck yuo grandma if you need this!
Tweak_Hammertime

Postby Tweak_Hammertime » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:17 pm

It makes me wonder if anyone is ever going to just accept and enjoy south park for being the offensive program it is lol. Big deal it offends people, that doesn't not make it funny. :?
Nicccceeeeee!!
We love you england, we do!
CruciFACTION

Postby CruciFACTION » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:27 pm

kaileykorn wrote:
icywind wrote:Oh good god, you are all so dumb. Can you just shut up and watch the show? I do. I am perfect. You are all idiots. Stop arguing and worship me. >_>

What the f*ck?! Who the f*ck are you? Seriously, impersonating another person just because you're too much of a loser to have your own identity is LAME. f*cking get your own screen name or get the f*ck out of here.

Also, you stole Lior's signature. You officially suck, and you deserved to be flamed as you are now being flamed by me.

And that is just the kind of reaction this person is looking for.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:46 pm

Seems kind of retarded to me to be arguing about an episode that aired 8 f*cking years ago!

This is just like the occasional threads where somebody bitches about Quintuplets 2000 and the South Park version of Romania it that episode.

Did you hear that? I love that sound. It's the sound of somebody missing the point.

You read it! You can't unread it!
kaileykorn

Postby kaileykorn » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:18 pm

CruciFACTION wrote:
kaileykorn wrote:

And that is just the kind of reaction this person is looking for.

Yeah, well, whatever. When I get pissed, everyone knows it and there's not much that can be done until I calm down. :lol:
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:18 pm

If you have issues with Lior, you can address them to her directly instead of hiding behind a false identity in a pathetic attempt to save your own face.
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:46 pm

lol my dad worked in Costa Rica and he said the same thing about that episode being totally off. But I don't think SP claims to be accurate ratehr I think they are trying to show an exagerated child-like idea of what Costa Rica would look like if all the stereotypes were true- which is a common theme for them.
Kyle Loves Me// Albino.black.sheep is my accountabilabuddy! *tackle hugs*
AREK

Postby AREK » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:35 am

As an American with absolutely zero ties to Costa Rica:

1. The place is actually pretty wealthy and stable for the region. They don't have political coups, have a rule of law, etc. It's attracted a lot of Americans to retire there. Is it England? No, it's not as wealthy as the United States-but it's not the sort of tin-pot/third world dictatorship it was made out to be on the show and in a couple posts here.

2. South Park's depiction of Costa Rica is as accurate and nuanced as its depiction of Canada. It's exaggeration for a joke. If you can handle the show saying re: 1/4 of Americans are retarded, Japanese people have no souls, everybody but Mormons go to Hell, then you can handle this.

3. Where's my oil?

We apparently stole all of it, so somebody’s cheating on me. (Can you provide some links to the news stories when we did it (how many barrels did we seize, who got it past the UN) . . . maybe then I can track it down)
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:45 am

In the geo-political field, there are only two real types of worlds: First-World, economically powerful nations and Third-World countries, which are not as powerful and considered to be shitholes. We all agree that Costa Rica is not a First-World, which means it is a Third-World country. Now, many will sit there and be like, "OMFG LIEK, COSTA RICA IS NOT A 3RD-WORLD YOU BIG DUMBY12=!"
What they fail to realize is that the third world also contains the developing countries, which in effect form a second world transitory state. Not a first-world, but better than a pile of sh*t. By the way, I don't believe anyone here has said that Costa Rica is a dictatorship. So while it may be true that's what the show said, it'd be a small lie to say that some posts here agreed.
That's how it's down here on the farm!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”