do you like the older south parks or the newer ones

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:37 am

Ugh! This is probably the toughest question anyone's had yet!

It's hard to compare because every season has had something enjoyable in whatever shape or form. The older ones were more outrageous, and the newer ones get more topical, politically or otherwise, but they all pack the punch M&T hope to deliver.

I declare a tie.
Mackey_93

Postby Mackey_93 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:09 am

Yeah, 7, 8 and 9 are my favorites. 8)
SPsource.net
PM me or a signature. Please contain a description!
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:32 pm

I like the middle seasons the best (4, 5, 6), then the older seasons (1, 2, 3), then the really recent seasons (10, 11), and then the semi-recent seasons (7, 8, 9, in that order from best to worst). I suppose there's still time for Season 11 to crash and burn, but so far, I like it.
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:49 pm

I'm about the same as KSWF.

3,4,5,6 = Best seasons, this when it was really good.
1,2 = Good stuff, but not quite as well developed.
7,8 = Still funny, but the plots aren't nearly as good.
9,10 = Some horrible episodes, many that aren't too funny.

So I guess I prefer the older seasons.
luckyjoes923

Postby luckyjoes923 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:36 pm

i like new and both. im a person who really likes changing and sequels so when they started involving side characters like token and clyde and timmy and stuff more after season 4 it got good, but i still like the simple basic not as good animation from the first 3 seasons. season 4 was kinda in the middle of all that, not quite categorized with 1-3 but not really with 5-now either.
Capitalist Maim

Postby Capitalist Maim » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Seasons 5, 6 and 7 are my favourite. I can't begin to list episodes in particular because I'd probably have to list them all, but I think ever since Butters started having a significant role in the show was about the same time it got good. Coincidence?

Oh, and I couldn't help but notice the Subway ad at the top there. Jared's nowhere to be found, though.
Last edited by Capitalist Maim on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunfl0wer

Postby sunfl0wer » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:52 pm

I like both really much, but... I guess I'd have to say I like the early seasons better because I grew up watching those episodes. But it's such a hard question, I love both equally!
[center]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people!"
"Now how about our gay couple, Stan and Kyle?"
[/center]
adritch

Postby adritch » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:01 pm

The original fans like the old episodes (fart jokes, ripping celebs from the 90's)
The newer fans like the new style of episodes (more political satire, topical)
Almost every episode is good but the newer ones are great.
The show came out when I was in grade 5, so I was a big fan, as I kept watching the show grew old and I stopped watching mid season 2. I saw it again 5 years later (Butt Out) and realized it was one of the smartest, funniest shows on TV. The show now has that perfect balance of "fart jokes", weird gross humor and really smart, edgy political satire.
And I'm not saying fart jokes are a bad thing, I love that stuff!
99.7% of "Greenhouse" gases are natural!
The countries that smoke the most Greece/Japan live the longest!
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:20 pm

I wouldn't mind the political satire if they did a good job with it, but they don't. A lot of their stuff comes off as rather childish to me. They just mock everyone that they don't agree with in rather stupid ways. Saying Al Gore's a loser who has no friends has absolutely nothing to do with his opinion of global warming. Making jokes about Tom Cruise being gay for about 20 minutes in a 23 minute show is not intelligent.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:29 am

Tweeks_Coffee wrote:I wouldn't mind the political satire if they did a good job with it, but they don't. A lot of their stuff comes off as rather childish to me. They just mock everyone that they don't agree with in rather stupid ways. Saying Al Gore's a loser who has no friends has absolutely nothing to do with his opinion of global warming. Making jokes about Tom Cruise being gay for about 20 minutes in a 23 minute show is not intelligent.

I agree..The things you brought up are part of the reason why I am really not liking the new episodes.
Cartman004

Postby Cartman004 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:32 am

I like all of the seasons
Cartman Kicks ass!
adritch

Postby adritch » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:11 am

Tweeks_Coffee wrote:I wouldn't mind the political satire if they did a good job with it, but they don't. A lot of their stuff comes off as rather childish to me. They just mock everyone that they don't agree with in rather stupid ways. Saying Al Gore's a loser who has no friends has absolutely nothing to do with his opinion of global warming. Making jokes about Tom Cruise being gay for about 20 minutes in a 23 minute show is not intelligent.

You don't know what satire is :lol: And what is political about Tom Cruise or even the way they were ripping Al Gore? Not political just ripping douche bag celebs :P
99.7% of "Greenhouse" gases are natural!
The countries that smoke the most Greece/Japan live the longest!
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:18 pm

[quote="Tweeks_Coffee":0e181]I wouldn't mind the political satire if they did a good job with it, but they don't. A lot of their stuff comes off as rather childish to me. They just mock everyone that they don't agree with in rather stupid ways. Saying Al Gore's a loser who has no friends has absolutely nothing to do with his opinion of global warming. Making jokes about Tom Cruise being gay for about 20 minutes in a 23 minute show is not intelligent.[/quote:0e181]
Yeah, I generally don't like those types of episodes. I prefer the older episodes, and when it comes to newer episodes, the best ones are the ones about the boys just being boys, like Make Love, Not Warcraft, Lil' Crime Stoppers, Free Willzyx, and such. The best political episodes are ones where they don't just immaturely bash either side of a political argument but instead make a point and provide some incite. First and foremost, though, the show's a comedy, and when I watch it, I expect to laugh, not be lectured, even if that means immature fart jokes over Tom Cruise or Al Gore.
NuGGet117

Postby NuGGet117 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:53 pm

adritch wrote:You don't know what satire is :lol: And what is political about Tom Cruise or even the way they were ripping Al Gore? Not political just ripping douche bag celebs :P

High five.
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:12 am

adritch wrote:You don't know what satire is :lol: And what is political about Tom Cruise or even the way they were ripping Al Gore? Not political just ripping douche bag celebs :P

1) Their satire isn't as deep and meaningful as you seem to think it is. It doesn't take a genius to see that they portray the people they disagree with as idiots. They're pretty blatant about their views on certain topics when they address them.

2) Okay, maybe I overstated that a bit. Yes, Tom Cruise isn't political, but I used that as an example of their, so called, satire. Although that particular point of Gore's isn't necessarily political, they've made their views on him very obvious.

3) My point is; I don't like it when they spend an entire episode ripping into one person or group. What happened to the more general episodes where we saw kids being kids in a f*cked up world?

nuGGet117 wrote:High five.

Way to contribute to the conversation. I look forward to more of your insight when we get involved in a serious discussion.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”