Why was season 10 so damn dull?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

CartmanMills

Postby CartmanMills » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:17 pm

I have one major criticism of South Park and that's the fact that the creators pick an issue for an episode and give their opinion on it, Stan representing the opinion of Trey and Matt. It's often boring... we had Chef and how they feel about what Isaac Hayes did, the bashing of Family Guy, the teacher/student relationship stuff, Al Gore and much more. It's boring.

I feel that Season 11 started off brilliantly as it DID go into an issue but also had an exciting side story that helped the episode maintain it's comedy. As much as many people like to believe that this is more than a comedy show, it's not. Comedy must always play a part in the show because nobody will watch a serious South Park episode.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:05 am

^That's exactly why I hated Trapped in the Closet. I don't care how well they nailed the issue, it's an issue I don't care about and the episode wasn't funny. Period.
Sonnyvice

Postby Sonnyvice » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:27 pm

KennyStanWendyFan wrote:Mephisto, last I remember, was in Cartman Joins NAMBLA.

He also appeared in "It's Christmas Time In Canada" (with Kevin) for few seconds, but no lines.

KennyStanWendyFan wrote:^That's exactly why I hated Trapped in the Closet. I don't care how well they nailed the issue, it's an issue I don't care about and the episode wasn't funny. Period.

That episode was indeed very unfunny, there was nothing good in it.
do_Ob

Postby do_Ob » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:39 am

i duno why everyone hates season nine so much. i think it was a pretty solid season.

Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina (classic)

Die Hippie, Die (classic)

Wing (good)

Best Friends Forever (classic)

The Losing Edge (classic)

The Death of Eric Cartman (classic)

Erection Day (ok)

Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow (ok)

Marjorine (classic)

Follow That Egg (eh)

Ginger Kids (classic)

Trapped in the Closet (good)

Free Willzyx (good)

Bloody Mary (good)
A Non Jew Kyle

Re: Why was season 10 so damn dull?

Postby A Non Jew Kyle » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:51 pm

stavropoll wrote:Have Matt and Tray gone to the dull side?

Season 10 was very different from previous ones. I don't understand it. The humor is totally not the same, if you can call that crap humor.

I totally hate season 10. Not one funny episode, and believe me I am a true fan of south park, such a season was a great disappointment for me.

Matt and Tray killed my inner child :evil:

What are you talking about? Season 10 was the best season of South Park. If you didn't understand the episodes, then you aren't very caught up on current events are you?
eatmydeaduterus

Postby eatmydeaduterus » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:51 pm

do_Ob wrote:i duno why everyone hates season nine so much. i think it was a pretty solid season.

*meekly* Me too, I really liked this one. Mr Garrison's FNV is my all time fav, and I was reminded of this today at work. I sometimes work with male-to-female transexual/transgender patients and sometimes their reaction to getting boobs and another orifice is just like Garrison in this episode. They start saying things to me like "Just between us girls" and babbling on and on about the new clothes and shoes they're going to buy and, ooooh, they're going to have to learn how to walk in heels (ignoring the fact that most women don't know how to do this). It's quite sweet in a way but sometimes, like today, I nearly die trying to hold in my laughter. (s)he walked right up to me, lifted up her t-shirt and said "What bra size do you think I am? I've just had them done! They feel fanta-a-a-stic! Would you like to feel them?" (I politely declined.) (s)he then proceeded to do the same to people in the waiting room and, my god, it was hilarious to see this person with half a head of grey hair and the looks of a male geography teacher dressed like a 50s housewife and bouncing his silicon in the faces of horrified guys.
Infusions

Postby Infusions » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:16 pm

I actually loved Season 10. :c Yes, the whole "visual look" has changed, but actually, it's for the better. I mean, it's nice that now, South Park has grown so much you can see a whole bunch of different angles of the characters.

I mean, for something like season 1, the horrible animation practically ruined a lot of the jokes for me. Their voice work also improved A LOT. The way Trey sounded when Cartman was crying in Cartman Sucks was just so damn incredible. It sounded like an actual little kid crying. Not one of those amaturish "WAAAAAHH." kind of cries. But like, a for-real cry.

I, for one, enjoy a lot of the plots, as well. I mean, sure, I also enjoy the simple plotlines like "<CHARACTER> has a sleepover." because if the writers are able to do it right and have a lot of fun with the jokes, it becomes an awesome episode.

But South Park has been on for 10 years, so most of the "simple" plotlines are, you know... They used 'em up. So now they're breaking out their creative side.

I /never/ saw that whole prank thing Cartman did coming in the new episode. Never. I mean, wow. o_O

SEASON TEN REVIEW

Green: High rating
Orange: Decent or very good rating
Red: Low rating

The Return of Chef!
Smug Alert!
Cartoon Wars, Part I
Cartoon Wars, Part II

A Million Little Fibers
ManBearPig
Tsst
Make Love, Not Warcraft

Mystery of the Urinal Deuce
Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy

Hell on Earth 2006
Go, God. Go! Part II
Go God Go XII

Stanley's Cup

(Hey, I love Cartman's "changed" voice. >:c)
What's the difference between a 7-11 and a smurf?

A 7-11 is a 24-hour convenience store and a smurf is a small blue fictional cartoon character.
Sonnyvice

Postby Sonnyvice » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:21 am

Season 10 wasn't good at all, and here are my ratings (***** is the best and * worst):

***** episodes:
-

****½ episodes:
-

**** episodes:
The Return of Chef
Make Love, Not Warcraft

***½ episodes:
Smug Alert
Cartoon Wars 1
Cartoon Wars 2
Tsst

*** episodes:
Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy
Go God XII

**½ episodes:
Hell on Earth 2006
Go God Go

** episodes:
Manbearbig
Stanley's Cup

*½ episodes:
-

* episodes:
A Million Little Fibers

You can compare it to example season 2 (the best season of South Park) which has these ratings:
17 ***** episodes and 1 **** episode...
SPF4L#1

Postby SPF4L#1 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:53 am

I agree that season ten wasn't the best, but at the same time, it did contain what I consider two of the greatest episodes ever.

Tsst and Make Love, Not Warcraft were absolute genius. I think the thing that probably made them great was that there was no political message at all.

Then again, I also enjoyed Smug Alert, Manbearpig and Go God Go quite a bit. Cartoon Wars was good too, if a little too political at times. The rest of the season was fairly mediocre.

I would say that, one thing which holds the show back a bit in general now is the overeliance on one theme or joke throughout an episode. In the earlier days, each episode would have a subject, but a lot of the jokes wouldn't necesserily be based on it. The boys would sometimes say things that were funny, even if they weren't complete relevant.

You could say that this was exactly what South Park has recently accused Family Guy of, but at the same time, South Park never went off on a complete tangent. It just didn't used to rely entirely on one theme to carry an episode.

If you look at some recent episodes, like Mystery Of The Urinal Deuce and With Apologies To Jessie Jackson, there really isn't a lot of variety in the jokes. In some cases, this isn't a bad thing. The Mr Macky storyline with the crap in the urinal was funny because of the number of times it happened. But then, in the rest of the episode, practically every joke was related to the political message in some way, aside from the Hardly Boys.

Same goes for Apologies To JJ. It's hard to remember any jokes that weren't relating to either the "n*gger guy" or Cartman laughing at the midget. Again, an episode relying entirely on one or two themes to carry it.

Think back to some classic episodes, such as Rainforest Schmainforest or Succubus. The beauty was that all of the comedy in them was varied. The boys were going into the rainforest, but all the jokes weren't centrered completely around a single political point. Same goes for Succubus.
If you can be bothered...please check out this poll:
http://misterpoll.com/4270026923.html
yags19

Postby yags19 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:47 pm

i love south park ive been watchin it sence 3rd grade dont crticize it :evil:
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:18 pm

My ratings for Season 10:
Great
Good
Average
Poor
Bad

The Return of Chef
Smug Alert!

Cartoon Wars Part I
Cartoon Wars Part II

A Million Little Fibers
Manbearpig
Tsst
Make Love, Not Warcraft

Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy
Hell on Earth 2006
Go, God! Go. II

Go, God! Go. XII
Stanley's Cup

Overall, a good season, better than Season 9. Just for the hell of it, here are my Season 9 ratings:

Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina
Die Hippie, Die
Wing

Best Friends Forever
The Losing Edge
The Death of Eric Cartman
Erection Day
Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow
Marjorine

Follow That Egg!
Ginger Kids
Trapped in the Closet
Free Willzyx
Bloody Mary

I wasn't quite as enthused about that season, especially toward the end (with the exception of Free Willzyx), but it was still a good season overall, albeit the show's worst to date. The show doesn't have an actual bad season though--just some bad episodes, occasionally in a string.
SPF4L#1

Postby SPF4L#1 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:42 pm

Well, I may aswell get in on the colour-coded ratings:

Excellent
Good
Average
Poor
Awful

SEASON TEN:

The Return Of Chef
Sumg Alert
Cartoon Wars
Cartoon Wars II
A Million Little Fibers
Manbearpig
Tsst
Make Love, Not Warcraft
Mystery Of The Urinal Deuce
Miss Teacher Bangs A Boy
Hell On Earth 2006
Go God Go
Go God Go XII
Stanley's Cup

That doesn't look too bad on reflection. Season seven would look fairly similar.
If you can be bothered...please check out this poll:
http://misterpoll.com/4270026923.html
jempast

Postby jempast » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:11 pm

Well, since everyone is doing color coded ratings of Season 10 episodes here goes my color coding ratings. I will also give a short explanation why I chose that rating.

Violet=Great
Dark Blue=Okay
Green=Horrible

The Return Of Chef - An insult to Chef. Why, be so harsh on Chef? Why, not kill him off in a more normal way. This, is one episode I probably won't EVER watch again.

Sumg Alert - FANTASTIC! Cartman of all people to save Kyle in California. I never thought I would see the day where Cartman would actually save Kyle and his family.

Cartoon Wars - A brilliant episode. I am with Cartman I hate Family Guy as well.

Cartoon Wars II
- Fantastic episode. My favorite part of the two parter is the fight between Cartman & Kyle.

A Million Little Fibers - AWFUL. This episode is rated the same as "Return of Chef". This episode is just stupid & pointless. Where, are Stan, Kyle, Kenny & Cartman????

Manbearpig - My favorite part is where Cartman farts the treasure out of his ass. Classic Cartman!

Tsst - This episode was all right. It was better than some of the episodes in Season 10. I did feel sorry for Liane at the end. When, the Dog Whisperer told her she was just a client.

Make Love, Not Warcraft - This episode was all right. How can Kenny afford a computer & the internet?? It was funny at the end seeing how fat Kenny, Stan & Kyle were. They, were as big as Cartman.

Mystery Of The Urinal Deuce - This episode had an unusual ending. I was surprised when Stan pulled the gun on Kyle, considering Kyle is Stan's best friend.

Miss Teacher Bangs A Boy
- I liked this episode a lot. This, is the first real episode that stars Ike. Remember, in Trapper Keeper (season four) Ike was called a genuis? Well, this episode proofs it. He, convinced his parents he was an innocent little boy and they did not know he was having a sexual affair with his teacher. The first negative Ike ever said was in this episode to Kyle was "you are dead to me".

Hell On Earth 2006 - Satan has turned into a more pathetic pussy than ever. He acts like a teenage girl. I mean who care how popular his Halloween party is. I think he should have been trying to take over the world or raise the dead or something.

Go God Go - Very very good episode. This episode makes me want a Nintendo Wii.
Go God Go XII
- I thought it was funny when Cartman got pissed off at his self in the past.

Stanley's Cup - STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! [
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:16 pm

Great
Good
Okay
Bad

Season Nine:

Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina
Die, Hippies, Die!
Wing
Best Friends Forever
The Losing Edge
The Death of Eric Cartman
Erection Day

Two Days Before The Day After Tomorrow
Marjorine
Follow That Egg
Ginger Kids
Trapped in the Closet
Willzyx
Blood Mary

Season Ten:

Return of Chef
Smug Alert
Cartoon Wars I.
Cartoon Wars II.
Million Little Fibers
Manbearpig
Tsst!

Make Love, Not Warcraft
Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy
Hell on Earth! 2006
Go, God, Go! I
Go, God, Go! II.
Stanley's Cup

Three of the four all time worst SP episodes were in Season's Nine and Ten.

In order from worst to best:
1- Million Little Fibers
2- Mrs. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina
3- Erection Day

To the guy who started watching in third grade: So did I, hence why I know when SP has bad episodes.

To the other guy who seems to think those that didn't like Season Ten aren't up on current events: You're a dumbass.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
SouthParkMaster66

Postby SouthParkMaster66 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:13 am

Well, I guess I'll do my personal colour-coded review for season 10.

Great
Good
Okay
Poor

The Return Of Chef
Smug Alert!
Cartoon Wars Part I
Cartoon Wars Part II
A Million Little Fibers
Manbearpig
Tsst
Make Love, Not Warcraft
Mystery Of The Urinal Deuce
Miss Teacher Bangs A Boy
Hell On Earth 2006
Go God Go
Go God Go XII
Stanley's Cup

So, as you can see, I actually thought season 10 was very good.
This is a misfits rejection of a life in submission

Return to “General South Park Discussion”