South Park already did it?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

strumpfhose

South Park already did it?

Postby strumpfhose » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:50 pm

I'm watching the 16th season of the Simpsons and I'm getting a bit disturbed about how many south park-like stuff is there in the plots. Or, yeah, not south park-like, but many of the same subjects as in the south park episodes that were made about the same time (season 9, I think). Like the gay marriage thing, then the next episode refers to global warming and granpa is working at Walmart, and then Lisa is a PETA member and throws a bucketful of blood to Krusty, wearing a fur coat. And homer having this freaky Bugs Bunny scene with the miniatyre army helicopter which is almost exactly like what Cartman did with Osama bin laden... although in a way earlier season.
Weird.........
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:05 pm

The simpsons haven't done everything like the sp ep. "Simpsons Already Did It" shows, but they are running out of ideas and taking ideas from where ever they can find them. And I wouldn't say they are copying them, they just do what sp does, take ideas from current events.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:16 pm

gtaca2005 wrote:And I wouldn't say they are copying them, they just do what sp does, take ideas from current events.

Yeah, of course. It was just that three episodes in a row had something in them that south park had already done an episode of. I'm not putting them down, though, or anything like that. I'm just wondering if it's been the other way 'round now, with who's already done what.
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:16 pm

Well I believe South Park in Simpsons Did It was refering to the problem all writers face; that everything has been done by somebody already. Nothing is new so don't even try.

With "Current events" nothing is original no matter how you twist it and everything is property of everyone because "facts" can't be copyrighted.

I have never watched the simpsons- ever. I have only seen parts here and there; usually ones my friends/family insist I watch. So I don't really know what is normal from them or what to expect.

Certain things you listed, such as the bugs bunny parody and the PETA blood tossing do sound "stolen" to me.
Kyle Loves Me// Albino.black.sheep is my accountabilabuddy! *tackle hugs*
triplemultiplex

Re: South Park already did it?

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:19 pm

strumpfhose wrote:I'm watching the 16th season of the Simpsons and I'm getting a bit disturbed about how many south park-like stuff is there in the plots. Or, yeah, not south park-like, but many of the same subjects as in the south park episodes that were made about the same time (season 9, I think). Like the gay marriage thing, then the next episode refers to global warming and granpa is working at Walmart, and then Lisa is a PETA member and throws a bucketful of blood to Krusty, wearing a fur coat. And homer having this freaky Bugs Bunny scene with the miniatyre army helicopter which is almost exactly like what Cartman did with Osama bin laden... although in a way earlier season.
Weird.........

The 16th season of The Simpsons predates most of the South Park you say they've copied. (I'm not sure about that Homer helicopter thing, I must've missed that one). Especially considering they take 9-10 months to get a Simpson's episode out.

At any rate, it's not like South Park has a patent on addressing current issues in thier show. There's plenty of room for both shows to have their own take on the same basic concept.

You read it! You can't unread it!
CartmanMills

Postby CartmanMills » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:21 pm

You can't really get an original idea anymore. Everything's been taken as people in this world come up with the craziest sh*t.

But plagurism is when it's obvious copying. Simpsons might see a good idea and edit it to suit their show and type of comedy... which is fair enough.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:44 am

If The Simpsons are stealing anything from South Park, they're doing so a year later, since their eps are sent overseas and don't come back for nine months - the animation is fleshed out during that period - which means that anything they "stole" and aired last year came from SP eps in 2005. South Park, on the other hand, can steal stuff much faster, since it only needs a week to spoof current events or another cartoon. It can, but it doesn't.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:52 pm

Rebecca_Cutswald wrote:Certain things you listed, such as the bugs bunny parody and the PETA blood tossing do sound "stolen" to me.

The 400th episode of The Simpsons is supposed to be a 24 parody, too. So who stole from whom there? (Honestly, two different shows do a parody of the same thing, and one is stealing off of the other? Ehh?) And I'm wondering how PETA throwing buckets of blood on people wearing fur coats is stealing, too, since that basically falls under the same thing as a "current event" - it's free for everyone to use and hardly anyone is stealing off of anyone.

Other than that, pretty much agreed with what everyone else said, especially Big Will's point.
ashey larry

How bout this

Postby ashey larry » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:28 pm

They could do some sort of spinoff of these movies.

warriors- the boys have to reach adestination in south park and they have to get by a bunch of goofy gangs.

Groundhogs day-cartman could just go crazy (it's kinda like the wii episode I guess.)

Goonies- They could go treasure hunting

THERE ARE TONS OF WAYS TOO MAKE SOME NEW FUN INTERESTING STUFF W/ THOSE CHARCTERS.
Pazzman

Postby Pazzman » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:42 pm

i dont really watch "the simpsons" i never really did,but as i can see from discusions in here they really "bite" and stuff...so im gonna say that..after making 150+ episodes comes the "fall" and its innevitable..so..u need to know the right time to stop before everyone is on you,this goes for southpark 2.i dont wanna see a "copy' plot from another show or something,not soon though.peace.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:30 pm

Pazzman wrote:...so I'm gonna say that..after making 150+ episodes comes the "fall" and its innevitable..

Well this week's South Park will be the 156th episode. I don't know how that relates to your opinion of current shows considering your quote, but there it is.

Unhooded Kenny

Postby Unhooded Kenny » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:12 pm

i was thinking when they had the SP parody on the Simpsons and they didn't show Kenny. I'm sure this scene was made when Kenny was supposedly dead for good.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:19 pm

Correct - April 18, 2003, in the first half of South Park's season 7.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Pazzman

Postby Pazzman » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:46 am

triplemultiplex,150+ is a figure of speach.happy easter all...paint some eggs.lol
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:19 pm

"Yeah, a show should never go past a hundred episodes, or else it starts to get stale with ridiculously stupid plotlines and settings."

Return to “General South Park Discussion”