Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Hamster at Dawn

Postby Hamster at Dawn » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:41 pm

The new episodes are not as funny in my opinion and the jokes often seem rather forced. However, the show is still funny and will have me laughing for years to come!
Oh, and I thought the second half of season 10 was absolute shite (except MLNW which was genius) and I think season 11 so far has been much better but like I said, it often seems forced and somewhat lacking.
Ded Rat

Postby Ded Rat » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:46 pm

Seasons 9 and 10 were both below average compared to the earlier seasons. Season 11 so far is even worse than season 9 and 10. Its even more obvious how much more funny the old episodes are after I started watching them again. All Matt and Trey do now is appeal to certain groups of people. For example, Make Love, not Warcraft appealed to World of Warcraft gamers, and I bet 24 fans got a kick out of The Snuke. South Park no longer appeals to a general audience, where anyone could find it funny. Now all they do is rely on shock value and visuals. They rarely, if ever, have any humor that uses dialog, and even when they do its unwitty and requires no intuition.

And what the hell happened to the boys? They completely lost their innocence. Cartman is just not funny anymore. Its not just Cartman though, every one has changed, for the worse. And the voices suck now too. I could go on but theres too much.
TesZ

Postby TesZ » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:44 pm

The episodes are as funny as they ever were, though i am concerned about this new seson so far.Imo only 1 episode(being the 1st)was actually up to SP comedy standards.By no means does this mean trouble because the seasons either usually start off slow and get better as the seson goes on, or vice versa.

I still say the guys ought to give Butters his own spin off show.
southparkluvrr

Postby southparkluvrr » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:30 pm

Well, I personally hate the new episodes. The first four eps of season 11 (excluding With Apologies To Jesse Jackson) were pretty bad. Don't even get me started about Lice Capades... I don't think I laughed once during that entire episode. Cartman Sucks was pretty funny, but only because of the shock value factor.

On the other hand, I didn't think the first and second seasons were very good. Second season is probably one of the worst seasons, ever. The show didn't really hit its stride until the fourth season, in my opinion. I was watching Season 4 this week, and I was amazed at how much everything has changed in South Park. Everything is so different now--especially the boys. What happened to the boys looking for a nerection to give to Kyle's dad? Or Cartman coming up with schemes to make $10 million? The boys seem to have changed completely, and I think that it will make some loyal fans start tuning out.
Sonnyvice

Postby Sonnyvice » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:43 pm

^ No, second season is the best SP run ever :wink: Followed by seasons 1, 3 and 4.

It's pretty sad how SP has changed during these years, new seasons are pretty... bad.
Stanley_Marsh109

Postby Stanley_Marsh109 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:37 pm

South Park has its moments of sheer genius, moments of greatness, and its moments of pure suckage. Lately, those latter moments are becoming ever more frequent.

However, most of the newer episodes are just... lackluster. The comedy is still there, but the series is inexhorably getting burned out. The last half of the tenth season was probably the worst half-season run ever, and although this season is an improvement, it's not a huge one. Lice Capades was possibly the worst SP episode of all time, and WATJJ lost its humor in the last half. Cartman Sucks and The Snuke made up for those episodes, but it still wasn't on par with older episodes. The jokes are simply becoming forced and even somewhat predictable. Who knew that the lice would've ended up in some celebrety's pubes? Who knew that the bomb would be either in Hillary Clinton's ass or her vagina? etc., etc.

That isn't to say that SP is doomed, and that it will never be funny again. It's just possible that it won't be AS funny again.
I'm only happy when I'm in my misery...

Thanks to Mr. Hat_DX27 for the sig!
Stanley_Marsh109

Postby Stanley_Marsh109 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 am

A perfect example: when Queen Elizabeth II shoots herself in the head. It wasn't funny, the joke was forced and I'm sure few people laughed. I sure didn't.
I'm only happy when I'm in my misery...

Thanks to Mr. Hat_DX27 for the sig!
solidviper

Postby solidviper » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:52 am

i love the old south park eps as well as the new ones

season 11 isn't shaping up to be the best, but season 10 is one of my favorite seasons...so i'm sure matt and trey will pull some memorable eps. out

I really agree with Stanley_Marsh109's post (the one above the one above mine)
MCkormick2

Postby MCkormick2 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:59 am

I think it started to suck when David Sim decided to become a woman-hating mysoginist.... Wait, sorry, we're talking about South Park. South Park rules.
This is not a sig.
Ded Rat

Postby Ded Rat » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:30 am

Stanley_Marsh109 wrote:A perfect example: when Queen Elizabeth II shoots herself in the head. It wasn't funny, the joke was forced and I'm sure few people laughed. I sure didn't.

Your right, that part was just stupid. But it seems like thats all Matt and Trey like to do these days. I'm beginning to think Matt and Trey just don't care about South Park anymore. They know they can put hardly any effort into these episodes and people will still watch them. Either that or all they care about is making the news headlines.
marklar-mike

Postby marklar-mike » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:44 pm

I personally think the South Park we all loved died around the 6th or 7th season.

Seasons 1-6 were all very funny carefree episodes.

Season 7 (ironically being one of my favorite seasons) I think was the last true season of south park.

After that, seasons 8-11 are all about politics, inside jokes, running gags, etc. Its just NOT funny.

For example, they were paroding Day After Tomorrow in the Lice episode but they already did that in Day after the Day after Tomorrow and Die, Hippie, Die. I mean, come on, seriously, its NOT funny anymore. I understand they were really playing on the whole Al Gore "Global Warming" Thing but really, do they NEED to play on anything? Why cant they just make an episode that is irrelevant to anything happening in the real world. Thats all they seem to care about now, making the front page, not the show.
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:24 pm

marklar-mike wrote:For example, they were paroding Day After Tomorrow in the Lice episode but they already did that in Day after the Day after Tomorrow and Die, Hippie, Die. I mean, come on, seriously, its NOT funny anymore. I understand they were really playing on the whole Al Gore "Global Warming" Thing but really, do they NEED to play on anything?.

That was actually just a parody of disaster movies. That's about it.

marklar-mike wrote:

Why cant they just make an episode that is irrelevant to anything happening in the real world.

How about "Make love, not warcraft" or "Stanley's cup"?
keese0288

Postby keese0288 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:15 am

I love the old SP episodes. Personally I think it's too bad that Isaac Hayes (Chef) had to be such a douche. Making fun of every race, gender, sexuality and religion and can't even take the sh*t he dishes out. I would really like to hear Chef's dad go on about the Locnas Monster. Most of the earlier episodes were really good because it was so self explanatory. The last episode that was just on the are, however was excellent compared to the previous episodes this season. However, one of the things I noticed that made it kinda dry was that it was a Dawn of the Dead spoof, which was nice, but dry. I liked the good old days when Cartman acted on his racism instead of ONLY taking it out on Kyle. I think the last hysterical episode was the WoW episode.
Almost only counts in horseshoes and witch-hunts.
Tasty-Bacon

Postby Tasty-Bacon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:19 pm

Could it be that South Park is merely moving with the times?? Could it be that with every every new episode of South Park, the kids are getting older and more mature?? How long can the innocence last?? Every possible aspect of childhood life has been covered. Maybe they did an episode of World of Warcraft because that is the game that is considered cool amongst kids today. Give them a break guys! Maybe all of you have lost YOUR sense of humour. Maybe all of YOU are growing up too fast and don't find what makes South Park funny anymore! I agree, South Park isn't as funny as it was back in the day but the fact that the show is still on the air is something everyone should be happy about. It's negative nancies like you lot that will get the show removed from TV. Regardless on whether you liked an episode or not is irrelavant, you're a fan of South Park so show the makers that you still care and want the show to be up and running for as long as possible!

There's my two cents! Don't like it, 'sniff bacon'!

TASTY BACON
It was like this one time, emm, this one time when I farted and it, it smelled like Bacon and I made him want some Bacon so I squeezed out a turd wrapped in Bacon. It was a squeeker!
SouthEcko2172

Postby SouthEcko2172 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:15 am

Do you think that the reason the later seasons are not as great are because they are too detailed? Not only are they parodying disaster films, but if you compare the animation and artwork to the previous seasons, its so detailed it loses the humor. I was watching Season 2 the other day, and noticed how crappy the animals and backgrounds looked and just looking at it was funny in itself. Now they are so detailed its no longer funny. A good example was in "Go, God Go" when the Otters were riding on the ostriches. Just looked too real for me and wasn't funny. I remembered in "Child Abduction Isn't Funny" and how crappy the Mongolians looked riding on those horses. See?

The animation and new artwork is still cool though. I like it when they kill people and the violence is realistic, gory and bloody (When Chef and Jesus died was just so funny because of all the realistic blood and gore). The sky looks pretty too now I guess.

The boys are all different and mature which doesn't make them funny anymore. Sure they were more mature than the adults before, but Stan and Kyle are so serious, they rarely smile and laugh anymore. Cartman is also very grown and doesn't seem like the dumb, whiny, clueless, fatass he used to be (See: Seasons 1-3). He used to talk really slow, loud, and dumb, but now he talks really fast and dramatic. The only funny characters now are the adults like Randy, and "Ms. Garrison" (which I think should go back to a man. Him being a woman isn't very funny at all) And even Randy is starting to become a little too much. They are just so dumb and they're supposed to be the grownups which is why they are so funny. I think the reason for this is because Trey is starting to make everyone he voices sound the same whether its a panic voice, or the serious dramatic voice. Can't really give an example in a message board...

I miss the episodes where they went on random adventures and acted like kids. The topical episodes I think are good for its timeliness, but this season are all just movie parodies and current events (except Cartman sucks). I'm watching "Biggest Douche in the Universe" now and at the time it was topical, but it was so funny that they made fun of particular people like John Edwards, and Rob Schneider.

Quote:
marklar-mike wrote:

Why cant they just make an episode that is irrelevant to anything happening in the real world.

How about "Make love, not warcraft" or "Stanley's cup"?

Warcraft is a pretty big thing right now, so that's still pretty relevant and topical.

Dammit I could keep going, but no one's gonna read this if I keep going so I'll stop. This show is still great, and this season is still funny, but it won't be classic, and there haven't been any classic episodes yet in a long time. Since they are making fun of things like Day After Tomorrow / Disaster Films, 24, 300, and Dawn of the Dead so precise, as my girlfriend says, they are more "cute" than hilarious.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”