Most overrated and underrated episodes each season

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

KennyStanWendyFan

Most overrated and underrated episodes each season

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:46 pm

I'm bored, so I'm starting a new thread. :P
It's quite simple: pick two episodes from each season, one that you think is highly overrated and one that you think is highly underrated.

Season 1:
Most Overrated: I'm going to go with Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride on this one. It's a good episode, but there were far more deserving episodes for that emmy nomination.
Most Underrated: Tom's Rhinoplasty. I love this episode and yet lots of people seem to not like it. I laughed my ass off when I first saw it. It's the episode that made me like Wendy. Even Matt and Trey don't seem to care for this episode, although they don't seem to care for this particular era of South Park either. To me, this episode is the original Scott Tenorman Must Die.

Season 2:
Most Overrated: Hmmm... tough one, but I guess I'll pick Chickenlover. I like the episode, so I wouldn't say it's heavily overrated, but there are better episodes this season.
Most Underrated: Prehistoric Ice Man. Why do people hate this one? Once again, this episode always has me in stitches with laughter.

Season 3:
Most Overrated: I'm gonna say Cat Orgy. It's not a bad episode, but... I dunno, I guess I just don't really care for the characters of Cartman and Shelley all that much (although some Cartman episodes are really good). Once again, there are just better episodes out there.
Most Underrated: Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery. Seriously, what the hell?! This episode's f*cking funny as hell! I'd also like to include as an honorable mention Tweek vs. Craig. So sue me, I thought the Pam Brady scenes were funny. :roll:

Season 4:
Most Overrated: Definitely Timmy 2000. I don't hate the episode, but it seems to be about the most popular episode in this season (it's the only pre-Season 5 episode to make it onto The Hits DVD) and as someone who doesn't care that much for Timmy (though I don't hate him and have laughed at him every now and then), I don't much care for this episode. Once again, far better episodes are in this season.
Most Underrated: Hmm... I'll say Quintuplets 2000. It's one that not a lot of people seem to care for, but I like it.

Season 5:
Most Overrated: I guess either Scott Tenorman Must Die or Towelie, probably the former. I like both of those episodes, but their popularity has reached heights that they don't deserve. The former is the better of the two episodes by far, but there are other episodes that don't lose their spark quite as quickly. I mean, once you know Cartman's scheme, the shock wears off. Still a good episode though.
Most Underrated: Terrance and Phillip: Behind the Blow. That's usually the episode that gets picked as people's least favorite of the season, but I think it's at least better than How to Eat With Your Butt, The Entity, and Here Comes the Neighborhood. I like the slightly sentimental plotline, and it has enough funny parts to carry it along for me.

Season 6:
Most Overrated: Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society. I hate this episode. Period.
Most Underrated: The New Terrance and Phillip Movie Trailer. What, do people just hate Terrance and Phillip? I mean, I didn't much care for Not Without My Anus, but this episode is hysterical!

Season 7:
Most Overrated: Fat Butt and Pancake Head. The J.Lo hand might be funny for a few seconds, but after a while, it gets annoying. The ending was great though. I don't know how in the hell this mediocre-at-best episode made it to #1 on the Top 27 countdown or how it wormed its way onto The Hits DVD. It's not that great.
Most Underrated: It's Christmas in Canada. Why do people have to hate on all the funny, well-written episodes?

Season 8:
Most Overrated: Up the Down Steroid. Cartman saved this episode from being a complete Jimmy suckfest. I may not mind Timmy all that much, but I don't like Jimmy.
Most Underrated: Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset. Episodes that don't focus on the boys aren't usually good, but I liked this one. It focused on Wendy and Butters, who are at least prominent secondary characters, so it doesn't bother me so much. It's when an episode focuses on really minor characters that I'm bothered, but this episode still took place in South Park with basically the same characters--it just shoved the boys into the background, that's all.

Season 9:
Most Overrated: The moment I've been waiting for... Trapped in the Closet! It's probably the most talked about episode of all time... and it's probably also the most unfunny episode of all time. It's not my least favorite of all time (Erection Day is almost as unfunny, but at least Trapped in the Closet isn't repulsive as hell). Seriously, this episode had no effect on me and doesn't deserve even a tenth of the attention it gets. Emmy nomination? You gotta be kidding me.
Most Underrated: Wing. I liked this episode! It may not have been the most drop dead hilarious episode ever, but unlike Trapped in the Closet, it had more than two jokes.

Season 10:
Most Overrated: Tough one... I'm gonna say Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy. It's an okay episode, but it's just really, really wrong. I certainly didn't care for it as much as I did for most others in the season.
Most Underrated: Mystery of the Urinal Deuce. This episode has a bad rep because it dared to suggest that all the 9/11 conspiracy theories are bullsh*t. Not only is this episode right about the conspiracy theories being bullsh*t, but it was also hysterical. It's one of my favorite episodes of Season 10 and yet people hate it just because they disagree with it. Yes, the government caused 9/11, just like JFK was assassinated by Cubans, the Mafia, LBJ, martians, and genetically engineered bullets that have minds of their own, ALL AT THE SAME TIME! :shock:

Season 11:
Most Overrated: This is a really tough one. I guess I'll go with The Snuke. It was a good episode for the most part, but I didn't much care for the Hillary Clinton plot.
Most Underrated: Lice Capades. Once again, I liked this episode! Okay, so the lice plot wasn't that great, but the boys plot more than made up for it! The lice plot wasn't that bad either--it just took away from episode time that could have been spent with the boys, who I would've much rather seen.
deathandecay

Postby deathandecay » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:25 pm

Hm, most overrated and underrated. This'll be a challenge.

1. Overrated: As much as i love this episode, i must say Cartman gets an anal probe gets glory even from people who didn't even watch it.

Underrated: I believe every human on this earth should watch Damien. period.

2. Overrated: Yes, cartman as a cop is funny, but you gotta admit that the rest of Chicken Lover sucked.

Underrated: Summer sucks....idk why.

3. Overrated: Korns groovy pirate ghost mystery. You do know "two guys naked in a hot tub" is in season 3 too, right?

Underrated: Are you there god? its me, jesus. I believe this is one of those episodes where you just wanna pinch the boys' cheeks!

4. Overrated: Trapper keeper.

Underrated: Quintuplets.

5. Overrated: Scott tenorman must die. Jesus f*cking christ will people stop kissing this episode's ass?

Underrated: Dont know if this was over or underrated, but i havent heard Butters Very own episode mentioned much.

6. Overrated: The return of the fellowship. Remember, im only mentioning overrated and underrated episodes...

Underrated: Biggest douche in the universe.

7. Overrated: South park is gay. "Metros" actually praised this one simply because it included metros in it.....they didn't even pay attention to what garrison's point was. I stood in front of the TV repeating and agreeing with every word garrison said to them.

Underrated: Y'know, i actually enjoyed christmas in canada.

8. Overrated: The passion of the jew even got it's own dvd....

Underrated: Am i the only one who really liked woodland critter christmas? I'm sure im not...

9. Overrated: Trapped in the f*cking closet. Nuff said. "oooh, they ripped on celebrities and religion! lets give it an emmy!"

Underrated: Marjorine. Another episode where i just wanna pinch every one of their cheeks! Butters especially.

10. Overrated: Go god go was supposed to rip on athiests, right? So.........when did they?

Underrated: I actually liked hell on earth 2006.

11. Overrated: So far, it's the snuke. "Oh my god south park is sooo awesome!! They mentioned myspace!! Alright, gimme five everyone, myspace rocks! Oooooh yeah! OMG 24! i looooove that show!!!! How many episodes have i seen? uh....all of them! Yep! hahahaha 'snuke in her snatch'! hahaha hey aaron, you have a snuke in your snatch! snuke snatch! haahahahaha! im gonna add this episode to my favorites on myspace!" Poor teens didn't even get the point...

Underrated: So far, not many people liked lice capades, but i loved it.
Sonnyvice

Postby Sonnyvice » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:17 pm

NOTICE: Some of these opinions are based on POPULARITY, not only to my own opinions. So that's way I'll put the "best and worst episode per season" also here.

Season 1
Overrated: None
Underrated: Volcano, classic but forgotten episode.
(Best ep: Pink Eye, worst ep: (none))

Season 2
Underrated: EVERY ONE OF THEM IS SO GOD DAMN UNDERRATED!! Especially episodes like Cartman's Mom Is Still A Dirty Slut, The Mexican Staring Frog of Southern Sri Lanka, Clubhouses, Prehistoric Ice Man and etc. This is the most underrated season ever, and also the best!! 8)
(Best ep: *Can't decide*, worst ep: (none))

Season 3
Underrated: 90% or more S3 episodes are largely underrated! This is a fact!
(Best ep: Rainforest Schmainforest, worst ep: *Can't decide*)

Season 4
Overrated: Cartman’s Silly Hate Crime. Not bad episode at all and still better than episode "Pip" from this season (though Pip was also good), but this is a strange choice for season opener and something... I don't know.
Underrated: Maybe... The Wacky Molestation Adventure?
(Best ep: The Wacky Molestation Adventure, worst ep: Pip)

Season 5
Overrated: Definitely Kenny Dies and Osama Bin Laden Has Farty Pants. Both are still good episodes, but largely overrated.
Underrated: Actually... I don't know.
(Best ep: Scott Tenorman Must Die / Cartmanland, worst ep: Kenny Dies)

Season 6
Overrated: Absolutely The Return of the Lord of the Rings to the Two Towers. It's good, but god, very very very overrated.
Underrated: Free Hat! And also Asspen and The New Terrance and Phillip Movie Trailer are largely underrated.
(Best ep: Free Hat, worst ep: Jared Has Aides (?))

Season 7
Overrated: I have no idea.
Underrated: Lil' Crim Stoppers for sure. Forgotten classic.
(Best ep: Lil' Crime Stoppers, worst ep: Krazy Kripples)

Season 8
Overrated: The Passion of the Jew. It's surely better episode than crappy "Goobacks" which is really boring all the way, but Passion is... hmm... well, overrated :)
Underrated: Cartman's Incredible Gift (?)
(Best ep: Woodland Critter Christmas / Cartman's Incredible Gift, worst ep: Goobacks)

Season 9
Overrated: Trapped in the Closet. South Park's 2nd worst episode ever (after A Million Little Fibers). THIS IS HORRIBLE EPISODE, and still one of their most famous and popular ever???
Underrated:Free Willzyx.
(Best ep: Mr. Garrisons' Fancy New Vagina, worst ep: Trapped in the Closet)

Season 10
Overrated: Hard to choose from these crap-episodes, because not many of them seem to be so popular :roll: Make Love, Not Warcraft is a good episode (actually 2nd "best" from this season) but it's very much OVERRATED. This is strange, because there are actually 12 worse episodes in this season than this :lol:
Underrated: None. Or well, maybe The Return of Chef deserves a little more.
(Best ep: The Return of Chef, worst ep: A Million Little Fibers)

Season 11 (at this point (½))
Overrated: Apologies to Jesse Jackson!
Underrated:Cartman Sucks perhaps?
(Best ep so far: Cartman Sucks, worst ep so far: Lice Capades)
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:29 am

In hindsight, I'd like to change my pick for the most overrated episode of Season 5. I choose Cripple Fight. For the most part, it's a pretty funny episode (pretty funny, not hysterical), but the fight itself was stupid. Somehow, though, this episode is hugely popular. I mean, I can at least understand why people like Scott Tenorman Must Die so much, but this episode is almost as popular and nowhere near as deserving of it.
Cold Machine

Postby Cold Machine » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:19 pm

Hoppin' on this thread. I'm sure my reasons were kind of weak in places, but it's the best I could do for now.

Season 1:
Overrated - Starvin' Marvin. Perhaps it isn't wildly overrated, but I didn't find it nearly as amusing as people constantly reminded me it was.
Underrated - Volcano. This episode was amazing, even though no one seems to mention it very much.

Season 2:
Overrated - Chickenlover. I get sick of hearing everybody raving about how awesome "Cop Cartman" is. :roll:
Underrated - City on the Edge of Forever. I love this episode but again, it's very rarely mentioned whenever someone is discussing South Park.

Season 3:
Overrated - Spontaneous Combustion. Maybe it's because I've seen it so many times, but this episode just isn't that great.
Underrated - Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery. C'mon! I hear so many people talking about how they hate this episode, but it's probably the greatest Halloween episode (and one of the greatest episodes, period) South Park's ever done.

Season 4:
Overrated - Timmy 2000. I will never get why people love Timmy so much.
Underrated - Pip. Pip's one of my favorite characters, and...well...I didn't find it as bad as everyone says it is... :?

Season 5:
Overrated - Super Best Friends. Ok, I can't think of much to say about this episode aside from the fact that it really doesn't deserve all the praise/mention it gets.
Underrated - Butters' Very Own Episode. Never considered myself a great fan of Butters, but this episode was funny as hell.

Season 6:
Overrated - Simpsons Already Did It. Blah, blah, blah. Overrated, even if people tend to quote it a lot.
Underrated - Fun with Veal. Another excellent yet kinda forgotten episode.

Season 7:
Overrated - Krazy Kripples. Jimmy and Timmy episodes are usually bores. This one is no exception.
Underrated - Lil' Crime Stoppers. *Again* this joins the good episodes that no one seems to care about anymore. See Volcano and Fun with Veal.

Season 8:
Overrated - Up the Down Steroid. As you already know, I'm no fan of Jimmy or Timmy.
Underrated - None! They all seem pretty equal.

Season 9:
Overrated - Erection Day. Just for you, Jimmy.
Underrated - Marjorine. I don't like Butters a whole lot, either, but this episode is definitely one of Season 9's best.

Season 10:
Overrated - Mystery of the Urinal Deuce. Bah, this episode was dull...and I'm not a 9/11 conspiracy theorist.
Underrated - It's a three-way tie! Stanley's Cup, ManBearPig and A Million Little Fibers. I can understand why nobody liked SC or AMLF, but why was ManBearPig so unpopular?

Season 11 (First Half):
Overrated - With Apologies to Jesse Jackson. I don't get why so many people liked this episode. It was probably one of the weakest season premieres yet.
Underrated - Lice Capades. Don't get why so many people disliked this episode. Were the lice that annoying?

That's all for now, I think.
"A minute's success pays the failure of years." - Robert Browning
brandon_waddle

Postby brandon_waddle » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:18 pm

season 1
overrated-big gay als big gay boatride
underrated-volcano

season 2
overrated-gnomes
underrated-flashbacks

season 3
overrated-korns groovy pirate ghost mystery
underrated-tweek vs. craig

season 4
overrated-quintuplets 2000
underrated-cartman silly hate crime 2000

season 5
overrated-scott tenorman must die
underrated-cripple fight

season 6
overrated-the new terrance and phillip movie trailer
underrated-jared has aides

season 7
overrated-red mans greed
underrated-grey dawn

season 8
overrated-the passion of the jew
underrated-something Wall-Mart comes this way

season 9
overrated-wing
underrated-the losing edge

season 10
overrated-the return of chef
underrated-tsst

season 11
overrated-fantastic easter special
underrated-cartman sucks
underrated-
Rooster_Costume

Postby Rooster_Costume » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:17 pm

Cold Machine wrote:but why was ManBearPig so unpopular?

Are you kidding? Dude, most everyone who has seen that loves that episode I know. On here and in person...unless they've hated all the recent episodes. :roll:

Anyways....

1. Overrated: Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo; I've never really found the talking piece of poo funny. The plot was good, but he was slightly annoying.

Underrated: Mecha Streisand; I love this episode. It's one of my favorites from season 1, and I never hear it mentioned.

2. Overrated: Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls; I hope all the episodes I chose aren't Mr. Hankey episodes, but in the first two seasons, it is.

Underrated: Hard, Spookyfish; Even though I don't like this episode that much, it's the most underrated of the season since the season isn't that great at all.

3. Overrated: Spontaneous Combustion; Good episode, but gets way more popularity than it should.

Underrated: The Red Badge of Gayness; I love this episode. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about the episode; it's just not talked about at all.

4. Overrated: Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?; It's OK, it's just not as entertaining to me as it is to everyone else.

Underrated: The Tooth Fairy Tats 2000; This is my favorite episode from the first 4 seasons, but I guess everyone ignores the Tooth Fairy. :(

5. Overrated: Cripple Fight; I probably wouldn't remember this episode if it wasn't for all the mention of it. Other than Cartman going around yelling Cripple Fight and when Big Al is first fired, it's not that funny.

Underrated: Butters' Very Own Episode; My favorite episode of the season that some people don't like because it's as weird as it is.

6. Overrated: Asspen; Very popular episode that gets a lot of runs, but it's the worst of season 6, even though it is a decent episode.

Underrated: The New T&P Movie Trailer: Great episode, but the boys' plot is just as funny as Russell Crow's plot, and that gets no attention.

7. Overrated: Lil Crime Stoppers or All About Mormons, maybe. I loved Lil' Crime Stoppers, but some people liked it slightly more, and All About Mormons wasn't really that popular, but it wasn't good either.

Underrated: Cancelled or Butt Out; Great parody of sequels and satire of Above the Influence organization, but neither are talked about much.

8. Overrated: The Jeffersons; Good episode, but it doesn't deserve as much publicity as it gets.

Underrated: Goobacks; I laughed my ass off all the way through this episode, and no one else but me seems to think it's as good as I think it is.

9. Overrated: Best Friends Forever; Good episode, but it doesn't need an emmy.

Underrated: Bloody Mary; Plenty of people seem to hate this episode, but I loved it.

10: Overrated: Make Love not Warcraft; Middle of the pack episode that everyone seemed to love. 'Twas enjoyable to watch, but it was some people's favorite episode.

Underrated: Hell on Earth 2006!!!!; This is my favorite episode in all of South Park. I laughed my ass off at all four plots, and other than a good initial reaction, it isn't mentioned much.

11. Overrated: Fantastic Easter Special; Wasn't a big fan of this episode, and no one else but me seems to think it wasn't that good (though this could be me not being around as much as I used to).

Underrated: D-Yikes!; Again, everyone seemed to hate this episode, but I think it's great. Though this could be just because I recently studied the Persians and Macedonians.

Most overrated season: 2; Mostly because it's so bad compared to all the others.

Most underrated season: 9; everyone seemed to hate this season.
PM me for my AIM SN. Lurkers are a bitch.
Cold Machine

Postby Cold Machine » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:39 pm

Rooster_Costume wrote:
Cold Machine wrote:but why was ManBearPig so unpopular?

Are you kidding? Dude, most everyone who has seen that loves that episode I know. On here and in person...unless they've hated all the recent episodes. :roll:

Yeah, that's most likely it. I've talked with a lot of the jaded "old South Park" fans. :| In which case it isn't as underrated as thought before. So, sorry about that and you can just disregard my comments on the episode.
"A minute's success pays the failure of years." - Robert Browning
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:48 am

1:

Overrated: Cartman Gets An Anal Probe. I know, I know, it started it all, it's a classic, blah, blah, blah. It just doesn't scream funny, but people always go on about how great it is.

Underrated: Volcano. Great episode. Jimbo and Ned were great in this one and all of the ridiculous stuff happening never ceases to make me laugh.

2:

Overrated: Chickenlover. It's a good episode and I still enjoy it, but the reception it gets would make you think that Jesus himself was resurrected.

Underrated: Summer Sucks. I love this episode, but it's almost never mentioned or shown on TV.

3:

Overrated: Succubus. Once again, I like it, but this is commonly cited as people's favorite.

Underrated: Boy, this one's tough because season 3 is one of my favorite seasons, yet it largely gets ignored. I guess I'll have to go for Jackovasaurs. A lot of people actually hate this episode and say that it's their least favorite. Personally, I love it. The ham-handed take on Jar Jar just really does it for because I hate that thing. Honorable mentions to Tweek Vs. Craig and Jewbilee. Both a couple of my favorites, but they get better recognition than Jackovasaurs.

4:

Overrated: Cartman Joins NAMBLA. Funny and all, but not one of the best. A large reason this one's so popular is because of the Cartman content.

Underrated: I gotta go with Pip. A great episode that gets shunned because it doesn't have any of the boys in it.

5:

Overrated: Scott Tenorman Must Die. A fairly weak story made popular by featuring Cartman. Plus, this was the beginning of Cartman's evil genius phase which is something that I've never been a big fan of.

Underrated: Super Best Friends. It gets ignored for it's less extreme plot and more subtle humor. It's a hilarious episode that really showcases the dynamics of the kids, particularly Stan and Kyle.

6:

Overrated: Hmm, another tough one. I really liked this season an, really, all the episodes in it. I guess I'll go for Teh Death Camp Of Tolerance. Don't get me wrong, I love this episode. In this season though, it's regarded as one of the best and some of the sub-plots don't do much for me. Let's face it, Lemmiwinks is pretty much a one joke gig.

Underrated: I guess I'll say Free Hat. This one just doesn't get much mention, but it's easily one of my favorites. What can I say? Tweek ruled here, so of course I love it.

7:

Overrated: Krazy Kripples. Never liked Timmy or Jimmy, so seeing them on for 22 minutes straight is a bit arduous.

Underrated: Christmas In Canada. Pretty much what everyone else said. I think this one gets panned for it's lack of outright jokes and more subtlety mixed with a rather cute story about Kyle trying to get his brother back.

8:

Overrated: The Passion Of The Jew. Strikingly popular, but mostly unfunny. Mel Gibson failed to get a laugh out of me and most of the other stuff was decent at best. A note to Kyle fans: This is not a good Kyle episode. Just because he's featured in an episode doesn't make it good.

Underrated: Woodland Critter Christmas. A lot of people dislike this one, but the random insanity struck just the right cord for me.

9:

Overrated: Lots of ones I'd call overrated in this season. Trapped In The Closet wins hands down, though. It wasn't funny, period. Every joke in it, which weren't that good to start with, was dead and buried within the first 5 minutes. Dishonorable mention to The Death Of Eric Cartman and Two Days Before The Day After Tomorrow for much the same reason.

Underrated: Free Willzyx. I absolutely loved this episode. really, it's the main one that redeemed the season to make it worth my money to, eventually, buy the DVDs. It gets buried beneath the lackluster pile of episodes that largely populated this season.

10:

Overrated: Do I really have to say it? My least favorite "joke" ever was uttered in this episode. Nothing has irritated me before or after as much as this one did.

Underrated: Stanley's Cup. A great episode that so many people lament against for what they perceived was happening. The funny stuff got buried because people couldn't get over one or two jokes.

11:

Overrated: With Apologies To Jesse Jackson. I didn't particularly care for this episode, but it got a great reception.

Underrated: I really don't know. Seems my opinion of most of these episodes was pretty common and they all still get decent mention.

*For those that aren't aware, I was referring to Smug Alert as the overrated season 10 episode.
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:49 am

deathandecay wrote:Underrated: Marjorine. Another episode where i just wanna pinch every one of their cheeks! Butters especially.

Oh God yes. Butters is so cute. Marjorine is one of my all time fave episodes of South Park.

I'll do this list laters. <--- busy. Just wanted to say yes on Marjorine.
Kyle Loves Me// Albino.black.sheep is my accountabilabuddy! *tackle hugs*
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:05 am

I totally knew which Season 10 episode TC was referring to. I giggled a little. :lol:
DevilAngel16

Postby DevilAngel16 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:42 pm

All I have to say is that the most overrated South Park episode of all time is Scott Tenorman Must Die (in my opinion, of course.) It's not a bad episode, but people always seem to give it more praise and adoration than it deserves. I heard/read about how amazing and brilliant this episode supposedly was, but when I finally watched it one day, I really didn't see what the big deal was. I mean, yeah this is the episode that gave birth to Cartman's sociopathic evil genius personality, but I didn't think it was as great as people said it was.

But that's just me.
Rooster_Costume

Postby Rooster_Costume » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:49 pm

I'm gonna add the most overrated episode and underrated episode ever to my list.

Most overrated episode: Best Friends Forever

Most underrated episode: Tie between Goobacks and Hell on Earth 2006
PM me for my AIM SN. Lurkers are a bitch.
SPF4L#1

Postby SPF4L#1 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:36 pm

SEASON ONE

- Overrated: Cartman Gets An Anal Probe
Compared to practically all episodes that followed it, it's shoddy.
- Underrated: Tom's Rhinoplasty
Can't really think of anything else here. Don't think this episode is the most popular, but it is very good.

SEASON TWO

- Overrated: Chef Aid
Again, didn't really know what to put here, but this episode wasn't terribly exciting.
- Underrated: The Mexican Staring Frog Of Souther Sri Lanka/Summer Sucks
Two quality episodes that seem to be often labelled as poor.

SEASON THREE

- Overrated: The Brown Noise
The very fact that anyone liked this episode makes it overrated.
- Underrated; Jewbilee
In my opinion, one of the best episodes ever created.

SEASON FOUR

- Overrated: Do The Handicapped Go To Hell?/Probably
I absolutely HATED the Satan/Sadam parts. Never found them funny. But some label them the funniest thing ever in South Park.
- Underrated: Helen Keller
So many great laughs in this episode. Surprised it doesn't get more recognition.

SEASON FIVE

- Overrated: Cartmanland
It's good, yes, but the schmaltzy Kyle story prevents it from being a classic the way I see it.
- Underrated: How To Eat With Your Butt
One of the best in the season, yet not one of the more popular episodes.

SEASON SIX

- Overrated: Jared Has Aides/Red Sleight Down
Fantastic season, but I thought these two were about the weakest. Many love these episodes though.
- Underrated: Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society/My Future Self n' Me
Two of my favourite ever episodes, yet the general fanbase doesn't seem to agree.

SEASON SEVEN

- Overrated: Fat Butt And Pancake Head
I never quite "got" the humour in this episode.
- Underrated: Grey Dawn
Probably my favourite episode of all time.

SEASON EIGHT

- Overrated: The Passion Of The Jew
The one episode in this season I didn't find hilarious.
- Underrated: Quest For Ratings/Cartman's Incredible Gift
Do not understand any strong criticism for these two. They were both as funny as f*ck.

SEASON NINE

- Overrated: The Death Of Eric Cartman
A genuinely boring episode, but many said it "saved the season".
- Underrated: Free Willzyx
Think this episode was a lot funnier than people gave it credit for.

SEASON TEN

- Overrated: The Return Of Chef
Overly political concept, that was relevant, yet not particularly funny on re-watching.
- Underrated: Smug Alert
Probably my 3rd favourite of the season.
If you can be bothered...please check out this poll:
http://misterpoll.com/4270026923.html
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:09 am

DevilAngel16 wrote:All I have to say is that the most overrated South Park episode of all time is Scott Tenorman Must Die (in my opinion, of course.) It's not a bad episode, but people always seem to give it more praise and adoration than it deserves. I heard/read about how amazing and brilliant this episode supposedly was, but when I finally watched it one day, I really didn't see what the big deal was. I mean, yeah this is the episode that gave birth to Cartman's sociopathic evil genius personality, but I didn't think it was as great as people said it was.

But that's just me.

Fortunately for me, Scott Tenorman Must Die was one of the very few pre-Season 8 episodes that I saw the night that it aired, and so I thoroughly enjoyed. I do agree, however, that it has reached undeserved levels of popularity.

Anyway, since everyone else is picking an all-time most overrated and most underrated episode, I shall too:

Most Overrated Episode of All Time: Trapped in the Closet. Not funny, don't care about the issue at hand, yet it was nominated for an emmy, it made it onto the top ten DVD, it received tons of praise since the night that it aired, and it's probably the most talked about episode of all time. And yet the episode was dull as hell.

Most Underrated Episode of All Time: Tom's Rhinoplasty or Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset. Really, it was hard to pick for this category, so I just picked two of my favorite Wendy episodes that don't seem to have a very good rep (although the latter did make it into Matt and Trey's top ten, which was a pleasant surprise to me).

Most Overrated Season of All Time: Season 9. I know some people hate it, but there are others who think it's the greatest season ever. Funny, seeing as it's actually the worst. (No season that contains Erection Day can ever be called the best season ever.)

Most Underrated Season of All Time: Season 2 by a long shot. Aside from the boring season premiere with Terrance and Phillip (the idea for the episode was funny, an April Fool's Day prank where they don't reveal the identity of Cartman's dad as promised, but that's it), Season 2 was a pretty solid season. There were a few episodes I didn't care as much for (Roger Ebert Should Lay off the Fatty Foods, Cow Days), but pretty much every regular episode had something good to offer, and a few of my all time favorite episodes are in this season. Really, I don't see why Matt and Trey and so many fans hate this season. Just because it wasn't overly political and Cartman wasn't a sociopath doesn't mean it was any less a solid, funny season of South Park.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”