fall season...please no more spoofs

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

blues rocker

fall season...please no more spoofs

Postby blues rocker » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:30 pm

i really hope they stop doing all the t.v. show and movie spoofs in fall season.

the spoofs in the spring season weren't that great...not because they were spoofs, but they didn't really do anything funny with them...

i'd rather them just focus on the characters and leave out all the movie and tv show tie-ins....the only really great episode from the spring season was "cartman sucks"...just a funny episode with no movie or tv show references...cartman showing the photo album of stuff he's done to butters...that was just classic...that's the kind of stuff that's genuinely funny.

it seems when they don't do spoofs, it forces them to come up with more original and funny stories...rather than just falling back on whatever it is they're spoofing.
Last edited by blues rocker on Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cold Machine

Postby Cold Machine » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:32 pm

You know you also posted this exact topic in another forum? Sheesh, just leave it at one.

That being said, I kinda agree. They could use a little less TV or movie parodies, though I wouldn't have a problem if they kept this up.
"A minute's success pays the failure of years." - Robert Browning
DevilAngel16

Re: fall season...please no more spoofs

Postby DevilAngel16 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:36 pm

blues rocker wrote:i'd rather them just focus on the characters and leave out all the movie and tv show tie-ins.

I somewhat agree with that. I'd prefer more character interactions/developments and less movie/TV parodies in the fall run.
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:55 pm

I think they can still have tv show and movie spoofs, but just not as the basis of the entire episode. If they have an original idea, they can still throw in some movie parodys. But if they make an entire episode for the soul purpose of just spoofing one thing...well...it'll get repetitive after a while.

I think they can still do current event episodes as long as they don't go too far into detail of the current event and as long as it will still make sense 5 years from now.
Taranis_Music

Postby Taranis_Music » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:47 pm

Are you kidding? The Thing parody was great.
gazm

Postby gazm » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:51 pm

A parody is great if done well; see French and Saunders at their prime, but recent SP parodies have been lazy and crude. Also radically changing an established character every week just to suit some poor writing is barbaric.

Another important issue to consider when creating a parody is that the audience will only enjoy it if they know what the parody originated from. I live in the UK and our modern culture is pretty similar to the US, yet I still don't 'get' a lot of the references properly. What about all the other export markets, or people who don't watch E! all day long - SP is being ruined even more for them.
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:14 pm

swellman7 wrote:I think they can still have tv show and movie spoofs, but just not as the basis of the entire episode. If they have an original idea, they can still throw in some movie parodys.

True. There's always been a lot of movie parodies in South Park, from the season one. But the parody shouldn't be the basis of the whole story and it should be funny even if you don't know where it's from. I'd say "D-yikes!" really wasn't that. "Night of the Living Homeless" was somewhere in between. The whole episode WAS kind of based on parody but it still worked on itself. I haven't seen any of the movies it parodied, even...

swellman7 wrote:I think they can still do current event episodes as long as they don't go too far into detail of the current event and as long as it will still make sense 5 years from now.

This is pretty off-topic but still. I like most of the current event- episodes although many times I haven't even heard of the whole event before they do it on South Park. More often than not the events are quite USA-centric and I'm not really even aware of them before South Park educates me. I'd never heard of Terry Schiavo (or whatever) and I didn't know anything about the Kathrina (how is it spelled?) except for that it happened. It's cool that they do those kinds of things.
Cold Machine

Postby Cold Machine » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:33 pm

It's spelled 'Katrina.'

And I like the current event episodes. They usually aren't as predictable as the 'TV or movie parody' episodes.

That being said, at least South Park usually puts interesting twists in their parodies so they're at least interesting to watch.
"A minute's success pays the failure of years." - Robert Browning
Baathville728

Postby Baathville728 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:52 am

I agree. I think spoofs should be left to the very major movies or shows, and then leave it alone. 300, Night of the living dead, are both big, but not spoofworthy, at least not on South Park. The Thing parody was hilarious but that's only because I saw it. Also it helped that the episode wasn't based on it. Cartman Sucks was in fact hilarious. But the Da Vinci Code parody, I'm sorry, was really good. I'd just say one major parody, if any, per half season.

And I just got back from Cedar Point. Top Thrill Dragster gets better every time i ride it.
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:32 am

Baathville728 wrote:I agree. I think spoofs should be left to the very major movies or shows, and then leave it alone. 300, Night of the living dead, are both big, but not spoofworthy, at least not on South Park. The Thing parody was hilarious but that's only because I saw it. Also it helped that the episode wasn't based on it. Cartman Sucks was in fact hilarious. But the Da Vinci Code parody, I'm sorry, was really good. I'd just say one major parody, if any, per half season.

And I just got back from Cedar Point. Top Thrill Dragster gets better every time i ride it.

What was The Thing- parody even? The part in Lice Capades where Cartman is making the blood test? How did it go in The Thing?
I can't believe I totally forgot The Fantastic Easter Special when thinking about this subject! That was one of my favourite SP episodes ever! And the parody WAS the basis of the whole thing... so I think I'll have to take my words back (some of them) as I absolutely LOVE two total parody episodes... (Living Homeless was the other one.)
blues rocker

parodies usually lame

Postby blues rocker » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:24 pm

the 24 parody was stupid...and the 300 parody wasn't that great either...i was watching that one with my girlfriend and she had no idea what 300 was...300 is definitely not big enough to be spoof-worthy.

the homeless one was ok but not great.

overall, the episodes are much better when they just make it about the characters rather than trying to cram in a bunch of movie, tv, and pop-culture stuff.

spoofs are ok if they are used as a very loose framework and they add a lot of funny, original stuff to that framework...but lately they haven't really been doing much with the spoofs to make them something great...

if they don't really add anything new and funny to the parody, it just feels like you're watching a re-make of whatever it is they're spoofing. what's the point?

in the end it's the characters that make it funny and not the parody.
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:18 pm

Yup, 24 parody sucked.
I'm really quite worried if it's just a temporary lack of inspiration that made them do so many parody episodes this half of this season, or if they really are running out of ideas :cry: I hope they'll come up with some original stuff after the hiatus. When you think of it, 4 out of 7 episodes were pure parodies :shock: And it was the last 4 of the 1st half of the season... 4 parody episodes in a row, wow. And, yeah, kind of 5 if you count the Thing thing. So only 2 originally original ones. No good.
Baathville728

Postby Baathville728 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:19 pm

strumpfhose wrote:What was The Thing- parody even? The part in Lice Capades where Cartman is making the blood test? How did it go in The Thing?
I can't believe I totally forgot The Fantastic Easter Special when thinking about this subject! That was one of my favourite SP episodes ever! And the parody WAS the basis of the whole thing... so I think I'll have to take my words back (some of them) as I absolutely LOVE two total parody episodes... (Living Homeless was the other one.)

The parody was basically exactly the same. If you haven't seen it, there is a group of scientists in Antarctica and some wild dogs come to the camp and spread a parasite type thing to other dogs, and then the dogs spread it into the humans. Except you can't tell who has it because "The Thing" just copies the humans so Kurt Russell decides to do a test to figure who was lying about who they were. He heats a hot coil and puts it in everyones blood samples because if they were "The Thing," their blood would react to the heat. Then he sticks the coil in one of the samples and it jumps. Just like in the episode.

And the Da Vinci one was hilarious to me, but the homeless wasn't big enough of a movie to parody, in my opinion.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”