The reason to finally stop watching South Park

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

ShaneHaughey

Re: The reason to finally stop watching South Park

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:30 pm

I hated Britney's New Look. I hated it. It was unfunny, the plot was disjointed, and no, it never made me think because the point wasn't that damn good. People who point to the message as being the saving grace of the episode need to honestly shut the f*ck up, as whether or not the message meant anything to the viewer is something for each and every one to figure out on their own. It didn't do anything for me because I couldn't care less about celebrities. So, the next person who tries to say that our commentaries are "bullsh*t" when compared to the golden showers of praise they heap on every episode will be sterilized. Like the episode, have a good time, but don't f*cking deride other people's opinions which are just as valid as yours.

As to the OP: You're a moron. You didn't agree with a message in an episode and decide to stop watching? Okay, go ahead, but now you are no better than Hayes is. You are a hypocrite. But you know what? That's fine, because if you leave, the show's fanbase gets that much better because idiots like you won't be among them. I'm a Catholic and how often have they made fun of Catholics? Often. Maybe it is because I'm more tolerant than you of opinions and messages that aren't my own, but I haven't considered leaving the show after an anti-catholic episode. If your reasoning was just that the episode sucked, then I'd be fine with it as the episode was really bad. But the fact that you want to stop watching because of the message is insane and, to be honest, a little funny.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
skacraze330

Postby skacraze330 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:11 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:I hated Britney's New Look. I hated it. It was unfunny, the plot was disjointed, and no, it never made me think because the point wasn't that damn good. People who point to the message as being the saving grace of the episode need to honestly shut the f*ck up, as whether or not the message meant anything to the viewer is something for each and every one to figure out on their own. It didn't do anything for me because I couldn't care less about celebrities. So, the next person who tries to say that our commentaries are "bullsh*t" when compared to the golden showers of praise they heap on every episode will be sterilized. Like the episode, have a good time, but don't f*cking deride other people's opinions which are just as valid as yours.

As to the OP: You're a moron. You didn't agree with a message in an episode and decide to stop watching? Okay, go ahead, but now you are no better than Hayes is. You are a hypocrite. But you know what? That's fine, because if you leave, the show's fanbase gets that much better because idiots like you won't be among them. I'm a Catholic and how often have they made fun of Catholics? Often. Maybe it is because I'm more tolerant than you of opinions and messages that aren't my own, but I haven't considered leaving the show after an anti-catholic episode. If your reasoning was just that the episode sucked, then I'd be fine with it as the episode was really bad. But the fact that you want to stop watching because of the message is insane and, to be honest, a little funny.

cheers to that!
"Yes.......I'm a rocker" - Skylar
this_bitch_bites

Postby this_bitch_bites » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:46 pm

For me there will never be a Reason to stop watching.SP I didn't like tonsil trouble that much but It had its moments and Brittney's new look wasn't the Best but it wasn't the worst by a long shot, I loved the Wicker Man parody and they do still kill kenny now and then but only when its condusive to the plot like in "The List" I much rather have that then a K death that didn't fit into the storty. iCelrebraties aren't toys for are amusement, there people like you and me (I make exceptions for whores like P.H and bigheaded people J.L and B.A) but the show had a good point some ppl are so obsesed with a watching A Celebs every move that forget the important things like hanging out with friends. I dont agree with some choses B.S has made but she needs to be left alone so she can sort her life out and try and learn how to be a good mother to her boys. Beseides if if you dont like the episode if you were a true fan you faith in MNT they're have been a few eps I realy don't like but I have never stopped watching the good eps outnumber the bad eps and I know they'll Continue to churn out great. eps If you want to stop watching thats your loss MNT don't care if they loss a few bitchy fans like you, you go watch family guy but me and the true fans will continue to be behind M n T in everything they do
Remember, we all die in 2012!!!
airmancoop44

Postby airmancoop44 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:14 pm

1. How did they show sympathy for Britney? They f*cking killed her.
2. No episodes in Season 12 have been political. In fact, the last political one was, you could argue, Imaginationland. There's been 4 episodes since then. (Current issues aren't necessarily political.)
3. Stop yelling.
4. Everyone has their own opinions. Don't bash. I thought this was the worst episode since A Million Little Fibers.
teh-lolrus

Postby teh-lolrus » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:25 pm

It's been pretty bad so far for me. Sure, there were a few parts that were alright in the two episodes so far, but I really don't care for those.

As for the "If you don't like/understand the episodes, then you're stupid and low" sentiment- I beg to differ. Someone's perception of an episode is based on their sense of humor and their own experiences, not their intelligence.

Take for example, Guitar Queer-O. I like that episode because I could relate to it and the subject matter in the jokes were funny to me. Some people thought it was crappy, but I liked it. It's all based on what people think is funny and can relate to, not intelligence. After all, it is a comedy show...

As for my preferences, I liked the 4th graders being 4th graders/antics of the adults in South Park type of episode (things like The List and Summer Sucks).

Go ahead and flame me if you want- I'm sticking to this.

I know I copied and pasted this from another thread, but the sentiment remains the same. As for not watching the show because of one episode, that's just jumping to conclusions.

I haven't been too pleased with the last two episodes, but I'm going to keep watching, in case they pull something good off again (take last season, for example- After More Crap, which I hated, they gave us Imaginationland, Guitar Queer-O, and The List).
._.
payomagetotheballs

Postby payomagetotheballs » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:35 pm

skerr1031 wrote:I have been a fan of South Park since the pilot episode back in 97. My mother hated the show and that made me want to watch it even more. I used to sit at the ready every Wednesday night, now that has been shattered.
I always understood that half the reason they created most of their episodes was to stir up controversy. Everything from jew jokes, to alien probes, to killing everyone, all great.
Now with the most recent s12 episode, Britney's new look, I will no longer be watching South Park. How can anyone possibly have any sympathy for a celebrity? You get paid millions of dollars a year to deal with all the fans and the rest of the hassles. If you wanted to have a life without being hounded by the media, it's simple, don't be a celebrity. Ok, if you want to say "Oh. well her parents started her on the path and it wasn't her fault". BS, her parents knew what would happen too. It's not like this whole Papparazzi thing started last year. It's been the same ever since there was media.
All in all, I think it's sickening that anyone should have any sympathy for these people. THAT'S WHAT THEY GET ALL THE MONEY THAT WE WISH WE HAD. But, I guess if I also made millions of dollars I might feel bad too.

Anyway, Thanks Matt n Trey for bringing to a close your 12 year legacy, for me that is.

dude you're an idiot. you completely missed the motherfucking point. they didnt do this episode to talk about sympathy for celebrities. anyone who would stop watching sp after watching it every episode so far is retarted im sorry.
payomagetotheballs

Postby payomagetotheballs » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:37 pm

airmancoop44 wrote:1. How did they show sympathy for Britney? They f*cking killed her.
2. No episodes in Season 12 have been political. In fact, the last political one was, you could argue, Imaginationland. There's been 4 episodes since then. (Current issues aren't necessarily political.)
3. Stop yelling.
4. Everyone has their own opinions. Don't bash. I thought this was the worst episode since A Million Little Fibers.

dude wtf was wrong with a million little fibers? it was towelie. and they made fun of oprah which is great. whats wrong?
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:43 pm

Maybe because we require more out of our life than a character like Towelie who was made purely to parody how other shows create characters and catchphrases to sell merchandise? Maybe that was it?

Maybe we all don't want every episode to make fun of celebrities, which seems to be your biggest hard-on.

Maybe we require a good plot that doesn't just parody current events like MLF did.

Maybe we require writing that doesn't try to mix intelligence for the sake of plot and stupidity for the sake of humor at the same time.
Last edited by ShaneHaughey on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SouthParkMaster66

Postby SouthParkMaster66 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:30 pm

It's called progression, it's normal. If everyone freaked out every time a show, or music, or anything like that changed than nothing would last. If South Park was the same as it was back in the beginning, that would be very boring.
This is a misfits rejection of a life in submission
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:39 pm

I agree with Shane-o completely, except...

Maybe we require writing that doesn't try to mix intelligence for the sake of plt and stupidity for the sake of humor at the same time.

How else do you expect them to make a show that's both intelligent and funny? Laughs and messages don't mix like oil and water you know. When has SP ever made an episode that doesn't mix the two as it did in the Britney episode? Death is one of my favourite eps, and I'd like to see if you can spot any differences in the writing of the two.

[quote="SP Master"]It's called progress. It's normal. [quote]
Say that to a rabid Kenny fan, I dare you to come out looking better than :zombiekenny:
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:28 am

You really did miss the point, Savior. The episode I was responding to was Million Little Fibers, but I'll compare all three.

Okay, time for a Death-Crap-Britney comparison:

1- Death- The basic plot is a good statement about the public's perception of the show, and is executed in a way that aids the jokes in a good way, and not in an insane/stupid way. It also tackles a rather important issue, but does it in a funny way. The immature jokes aren't the only source of humor, and even then the jokes actually play a vital part in the satire. There are plenty of jokes that are extremely funny that aren't immature as well, meaning that the episode was able to gather a good plot with good humor.

1A- Million Little Fibers- The plot is nothing more than a slight bashing of Oprah (Though it wasn't too bad when you consider the factors) and current events, and for comedy uses a talking vagina and assh*le as well as talking towel. I didn't laugh once, and I found it to be boring as well.

1B- Britney- The plot bashes the celebtrity obsessed cultre, and puts both the irresponsible media and society itself to the task. And I agreed with the points that were made, but the plot itself didn't aid the humor in any way and, at times, detracted from it. It had a few good scenes(Almost all of them at the start) and the episode moved at a fast enough clip, which makes it far better than MLF now that I think about it. At least it had the f*cking kids.

2- If Death had been written as they are writing now....then Marvin Marsh would have been put into the hospital with like half a face, and the right to die issue would have been discussed with super seriousness and it would have become a political episode, instead of just something political in an episode. The sub-plot of Terrance and Phillip would not be here due to Matt and Trey not really having B-stories, and since Kenny doesn't die you would probably not have Death involved. The issue of Right to Die would have been decided on not by the characters themselves, but in some court room, or if the characters did come to a conclusion they'd give a big freakin' speech, a REALLY big one, at the end.

2- B- If MLF had been written when Death was, then there would have been a good B or C plot that would have had humor.

2- C- If Britney had been written back when Death was, then you would have hit on the same beats, but would probably have had a B or C plot. Butters in the outfit would have worked and at least given us...well, maybe...one laugh.

3- In Death, you have the established cast of characters playing their roles perfectly. In MLF, well, I don't like Towelie, and I don't like talking vaginas and assh*les. In Britney, I actually didn't mind the media or any of the new characters. Britney without her head off would have worked better towards the end as I found her woefully unfunny. Stan and Kyle, I feel, are OOC at the end, but I've seen worse.

4- Quite frankly, I don't care about Oprah, Towelie, Britney Spears, or the media that follows her. So, those two episodes did nothing for me. However, do I care about Marvin Marsh and Stan? Yes. Do I care about the parents and their crusade? Yes. Do I even care a tiny bit about Terrance and Phillip? Yes.

5- If you liked the episode then fine, like, love it, mate with it, whatever, but at least read my entire post before you bring up Britney's episode when I was referring to MLF.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:18 am

OK, OK, I'm sorry I never realised you were talking about MLF not Britney in that one post, but you were in the main using it to slight the britney episode.

I agree with you in your descriptions of Death and AMLF. They need to start doing B sides again too, though they still use it (Cartman Sucks) sometimes and didn't use it all the time (Mecha Streisand or NWMA) way back in the "golden age" of seasons 1-4. And not bringing the government in so much, well, they used to bring them in back in the early seasons, not as "seriously" but still, they did it. It's the cerial that needs toning down.

If Death was written now, it'd be in a different style, yeah. But that doesn't automatically make it crap. Marvin wouldn't have mannaged killing himself, but the methods S and K used would be WAY more realistic than popping a cow on his head and instead of using music, Grandpa would've used a 3 minute political speach to convince them he needs to die.
Terrence and Philip were pretty much the MAIN plotline of that (the political point was on censorship not euthenasia) but I think they'd mannage an A and a B plotline, it just would have Butters being a pansy and having a three minute speach in it somewhere.

If a MLF had been written when Death was, the seriese would never have lasted to the seccond half season. MLF was intrinsicly bad, from the idea up, because it didn't include the boys and ripped on a single person, using banal vulgarity to get laughs. No one argues with that, but it was wrong from the idea up.

If Brit had been written when Death was, then it would have been pretty much the same, except it would have no butters and a Kenny Death (she acidently suicides him or he's the new idol at the end or something). Yeah, there could've been a B plotline, or rather more of one (Kyle and the satanists/Stan and Brit was a bit of a side plot but it shoud've had Cart or Butters or extended the two plotlines more) but that's not nescicary to make a good episode. Would Terrence and Phillip Behind the Blow have been better without ONE of the two Side plots, matt and Trey think so and so do I (though I love the T and P stuff, they tried cramming too much in sometimes in the early seasons). It seems pretty consistent with the early style except no one would leave the town, because they hadn't drawn out of town sets back then.

Brit wasn't supposed to be funny. The humour came from the fact other people acted like she still had a head. Stan KILLED that joke by pointing out "look how dumb you are for not seing she's headless" or thereabouts, but it could've been funny with headless brit. I agree a less... drastic... suicide attempt would've been more tasteful, but this is SP and when has it ever been tasteful?

You care about cut-out charactars more than real life celebs? Good, because that was the message of the show, people shouldn't care as much about celebs. But I woudn't say I care less about satire than charactar development, as long as it's not satire for satires sake (Mecha Streisand, for example).
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Jsktrogdor

Postby Jsktrogdor » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:13 am

The whole arguement is stupid in my eyes, what is this the E! channel? Are you a bunch of fat ass house wifes and raving 16 year old girls? I could really care less about any of this stuff, I dont have sympathy for celebrities because frankly I dont really care about any this "news". Next time some kind of freakish "Celebrity Entertainment" comes on your tv, just change the channel. Its what I do, its a waste of your time. It does make me wonder if mat and trey are just cashing in on the trend?
jay1

Postby jay1 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:56 pm

You have to admit that the media has changed alot in last decade or so. It used be that celebrities got photographed at events, but now they are hounded 24/7. Although if you dont act like a wacko they generally leave you alone.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:03 am

superiorsavior wrote:OK, OK, I'm sorry I never realised you were talking about MLF not Britney in that one post, but you were in the main using it to slight the britney episode.

I agree with you in your descriptions of Death and AMLF. They need to start doing B sides again too, though they still use it (Cartman Sucks) sometimes and didn't use it all the time (Mecha Streisand or NWMA) way back in the "golden age" of seasons 1-4. And not bringing the government in so much, well, they used to bring them in back in the early seasons, not as "seriously" but still, they did it. It's the cerial that needs toning down.

If Death was written now, it'd be in a different style, yeah. But that doesn't automatically make it crap. Marvin wouldn't have mannaged killing himself, but the methods S and K used would be WAY more realistic than popping a cow on his head and instead of using music, Grandpa would've used a 3 minute political speach to convince them he needs to die.
Terrence and Philip were pretty much the MAIN plotline of that (the political point was on censorship not euthenasia) but I think they'd mannage an A and a B plotline, it just would have Butters being a pansy and having a three minute speach in it somewhere.

If a MLF had been written when Death was, the seriese would never have lasted to the seccond half season. MLF was intrinsicly bad, from the idea up, because it didn't include the boys and ripped on a single person, using banal vulgarity to get laughs. No one argues with that, but it was wrong from the idea up.

If Brit had been written when Death was, then it would have been pretty much the same, except it would have no butters and a Kenny Death (she acidently suicides him or he's the new idol at the end or something). Yeah, there could've been a B plotline, or rather more of one (Kyle and the satanists/Stan and Brit was a bit of a side plot but it shoud've had Cart or Butters or extended the two plotlines more) but that's not nescicary to make a good episode. Would Terrence and Phillip Behind the Blow have been better without ONE of the two Side plots, matt and Trey think so and so do I (though I love the T and P stuff, they tried cramming too much in sometimes in the early seasons). It seems pretty consistent with the early style except no one would leave the town, because they hadn't drawn out of town sets back then.

Brit wasn't supposed to be funny. The humour came from the fact other people acted like she still had a head. Stan KILLED that joke by pointing out "look how dumb you are for not seing she's headless" or thereabouts, but it could've been funny with headless brit. I agree a less... drastic... suicide attempt would've been more tasteful, but this is SP and when has it ever been tasteful?

You care about cut-out charactars more than real life celebs? Good, because that was the message of the show, people shouldn't care as much about celebs. But I woudn't say I care less about satire than charactar development, as long as it's not satire for satires sake (Mecha Streisand, for example).

1- So, to start off, we both agree that the show could still use B plots? Good.

2- I listed the things that would be different in a season twelve era "Death", but none of them made it bad off-hand because the plot ideas are better to me regardless. It just would have turned the episode into one from what is quite silly fun and would have turned it into a more serious show. And, if it hasd been written today, then there would likely not have been a B-story. "Cartman Sucks" had a semi-B story, as they both launched from the same point and explored two different facts of the same basic plot. So, if "Death" was written now, you would be getting rid of one of the plots.

3- If Brit had been written when Death was, then the episode would have had more laughs. Immature as it is, early South Park still relied heavily on jokes, which would mean the episode would funnier than it is now. You also would have had a B plot, but it wouldn't have been anything to do with Kyle or Stan because they were already heavily involved with the main plot. Maybe Cartman or Butters?

4- You somewhat made my point. If the humor was supposed to come from her not having a head, and you don't find her headless and people acting lik she still has one funny, then where was the humor? If you don't care about celbrity news, then why do you care about the plot and the satire? That is the problem here, it relied too much on the viewer giving a rat's ass about something they shouldn't care about. We all have remotes and DVD players/books/CDsvideo games/the internet/sleep/sexual organs that we can stimulate/and showers, all of which are better uses of your time than watching celebrity news, and all of which I can and have used to pass the time when sh*t I don't care for goes down. I also didn't find her without a head disasteful, I just didn't find it funny.

5- South Park and it's characters have had a bigger impact on my life than Spears has or will ever have. Real people > South Park most of the time in terms of me hoping for the best for them, but South Park > Celebrities in terms of me giving a rat's ass about their silly little dramas. I don't care. At all. Whenever they start talking about it, I do other things. So, when an episode comes bashing the media and culture that IS guilty of this, you may as well be talking about Latvian Tax Code systems and their inherent flaws because I care just about as much.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”