south park on the decline? [new seasons SUCK DICK!]

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

butters kenny

Re: Matt, Trey, the news series has been crap!

Postby butters kenny » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:57 pm

you mean the new season i like it britines new look is the only one the sucked monkey balls well canada on strike...........
I Wasn't choking you I was just hugging your neck

R.I.P Chef for realz this time

( chef joined the sith so why don't you?)

R.I.P Billy Bonka
Butterslover21

Postby Butterslover21 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:23 pm

geez, this is like the 5th thread complaining about the new season. all i wanna say is that we're probably lucky that they even made a new season.
honk if you're f*cking steve carell (cause i really wish i was!)

"i like girls with big fat titties, i like girls with deep vaginas" - kenny
Pip Tweek

Re: south park on the decline?

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:56 pm

Now that the 1st half is over, I can say that it started out horrible, but rebounded in a big way with the classic that is "Major Boobage" and then the rest of the episodes were at least worth watching. I thought "Over Logging" was generally a crappy episode, but it wasn't in the same category as the first two eps this season.

So far this season is going reasonably well; I've gotten all I would expect out of SP at this point; some decent eps, a few bombs, and one all-time classic.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:32 pm

Butterslover21 wrote:geez, this is like the 5th thread complaining about the new season. all i wanna say is that we're probably lucky that they even made a new season.

I know! Just another thread to merge into this one. :|
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
obsidian

Postby obsidian » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:18 am

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:34 pm1
I am a proud South Park viewer. And, sadly, the newest seasons of south park have gotten less and less entertaining. All the show focuses on now is the shock factor, like when stan's dad spooged everywhere in the recent internet episode. It's cool that each episode has something to do with current events, but every new episode is serious and isn't really funny anymore. Very sad. The old epsiodes were funny because they wern't always relevant to us, the viewers, or they didn't always have a serious tone. They were just straight up funny. The episode were Cartman was crucified was a funny as sh*t episode. It makes me very sad that the creators, Matt and Trey, had to stray from this style of episodes. I can't stand the serious tone of ALL the new episodes and the shock factor implemented in them. It's okay to have one or two episodes in a season that do that, but that should be the max per season.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels like I do, or if they even care because they're blind to the fact that new episodes are losing their funny, but this message is directed toward the writers. Hopefully they read this message so something can be done.

-Matt, of St. Louis

I agree! stop trying to morally enlighten us and just entertain us.
As for britney and the likes of her, just remember if you tell an idiot she is a queen, when the queen goes out she still acts like an idiot.
kingdustin

Postby kingdustin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:29 pm

why the hell are you on a south park !(FAN)! site if all your gonna do is say it sucks u need to stop complaining south park is not goin downhill there still frekin hilarious and the internet one was great and to all that are offended by south park you dont need to watch it because thats about all it does
A SouthPark Orange

Postby A SouthPark Orange » Sat May 03, 2008 8:18 pm

kingdustin wrote:why the hell are you on a south park !(FAN)! site if all your gonna do is say it sucks u need to stop complaining south park is not goin downhill there still frekin hilarious and the internet one was great and to all that are offended by south park you dont need to watch it because thats about all it does

Only because some people don't like the new episodes it doesn't mean they're offended by it, but I agree that I'm also annoyed by people in some SP forums I've been to who state that the show sucks since about the third season, because that's just a let-down for the fans who still like the show. It's an entire different story when people think that the last couple of seasons or the last half-season have been rather weak.

on-topic: I agree with obsidian about the shock factor: the shock-value is overused nowadays and because of that both fails to be shocking or funny.
I also agree that there has been a decline since the beginning of season 9. I like the middle seasons 5-7 and after those, season 3 and season 8 the best, but season 11 has been actually pretty good (almost
on par with 3 and 8 ) and a huge step upwards compared to season 9 and the first half of season 10, which have been the low point of SP so far and basically consisted of nothing else than using today's newspaper's headline as a plot and SP characters, especially Cartman and Kyle, as its devices. No creativity at all. "Trapped in the closet" may be very helpful for younger viewers who have never heard of Scientology and didn't know that it is full of sh*t, but for me it was just boring.
Season 12 for sure is one of the weaker seasons, but still way ahead of 9 and 10, in my opinion. It lacked funny scenes, and I miss the kids-being kids stories in which the episode revolves around the characters, with just a few bits of social satire thrown in. One episode like "Super Fun Time" or "The List"per half-season simply isn't sufficient. I think the fact, that "Super Fun Time" and "Major Boobage", which revolved around the kids more than any other episodes, were also the most popular, says enough.

After I have complained so much I want to point out some things I found very positive about this half-season:

- First of all, Cartman and Kyle act more like kids again and aren't used as plot devices. The social satire is luckily more like it was in the middle and early seasons ("Canada on Strike", Major Boobage") and doesn't resemble the one in the 9th season and early 10th season that much. I hope that Cartman becomes just a little meaner and Kyle just a little nicer than they were in this season.

- Although not all of the jokes worked, TP, like in the 11th season, seems to have realized that jokes and funny scenes are an essential part of the show

- "Old" SP characters (I'd like more of those) like Kenny and Wendy were used and Cartman, Kyle and Butters didn't dominate the show.

-"Old"Garrison is back.

To answer the question of the topic: Overall, season 12 was decent and isn't the worst season so far. I'd say it's about the same level as the first two seasons, which weren't all that bad. It can also hold a candle to the first half of season six and the second half of season 10. I felt entertained and I don't think SP has jumped. It's not going to as long as it doesn't become like season 9 and the first half of season 10 again and stays at that level. BUT: It needs improvement.
Pip: Besides, I hate french people.
mar1boro_red

new seasons SUCK DICK!

Postby mar1boro_red » Tue May 06, 2008 12:03 am

i havent seen a single good episode in this entire season. in my opinion, south park has been getting worse and worse sinse season 8. it seems like the writers are 12 years old and do nothing but sit in front of a computer and watch youtube all day.

south park was something i looked forward to when i sit down to relax, but now it's just one dissapointment after another. what is your opinion? if you reply to this, please include your age.

age; 23
GotACoolName

Re: new seasons SUCK DICK!

Postby GotACoolName » Tue May 06, 2008 4:11 am

I'm a fan of the older episodes, so I can see where you're coming from, but I don't know... I don't like season 12, and 10 was a bit barren in the number of great episodes it had, but I thought seasons 8, 9, and 11 were fantastic.

Edit: Almost 16 years old.
Pip Tweek

Re: south park on the decline? [new seasons SUCK DICK!]

Postby Pip Tweek » Tue May 06, 2008 9:12 pm

Guys, there's only one rational thing to do....

BOYCOTT SOUTH PARK!!!!
:timmy:
RealLifeTweek

Postby RealLifeTweek » Wed May 07, 2008 3:13 am

Maybe they should do show where the boys acknowledge they are a show and that some people are hating.. and start singing.

Shut your fg face uncle fyka..

Heeeeee Heeeeeeeeee! :timmy:

Pip Tweek wrote:
The song Cartman sang in the woods by the campfire was funny.

I loved that song. I think every season has some great eps and I will always look forward to them as long as the put them out.
DROP TABLE *

Postby DROP TABLE * » Wed May 07, 2008 5:06 am

I agree with most of what has been said on this thread. But first off, I'm 16 and I have been programming since I was 12. I am not saying that I am special or super smart; all I am saying is that a 12 year old is most certainly capable of being mature enough to make commitments like that, and therefore, able to appreciate South Park. BTW, I am currently employed as a Web Developer; so it's not as if all the time I spent not having friends went to waste ;)

Back on topic... I thought Over Logging and the Britney Spears episodes were not all that great, because like said before, they don't focus on the main characters.

What I like about the show is the humor *and* the fact that in most episodes they focus on the four primary characters, and their struggles. This show, to me, is not a “slapstick shock oriented comedy with plenty of real world mind provoking philosophical attributes”, but a "slapstick shock oriented comedy with plenty of real world mind provoking philosophical attributes with an added dimension of characterization of which I can apply to my own life now and when I was younger to.” My favorite episodes are the ones that focus on one or more of the ‘deeper’ characters (i.e. Stan, Kyle or Cartman). For example, Cherokee Hair Tampons, Cartmanland, and Raisins really stick out to me when I think of the show. Of course, there are others that are excellent that do not necessarily focus on one of those particular characters, but it’s just a general trend that if it does not feature some sort of conflict between those three (or with themselves), it will not be one of the best episodes in my mind.

Anyhow, I really hope they pick up on that (the writers of the show I mean), as from what I understand I am not the only one who thinks like this. I don’t want SP to continue the trend of loosing it’s ‘deepness’ and trading it with generic “worthy of a stand up skit but not much more” plots/jokes.

All of that being said, I think that Super Fun Time was actually pretty good. It did not leave much of an impact on my mind like the other ones I mentioned did; however, I think that they did a good job at applying the characters to some really funny situations despite the lack of ‘deepness.’

To tell you the truth, ‘hit-and-miss’ type seasons where they have ups and downs is to be expected. I applaud the makers of SP for the shear amounts of awesome ideas that they have turned into excellent episodes over the years. Not to say they all have been great, but just to say that if it were me writing south park – there would be a hell of a lot more misses :p

I WANT MORE STAN KYLE AND CARTMAN

:)
sarahm1989

Postby sarahm1989 » Wed May 07, 2008 11:27 pm

ok so since we are stating our ages...i am 18 and i definitely prefer the middle(ish) seasons 3-8 although every single season has included hilarious episodes and though many people didnt like 9-11 i thought they had a lot of good episodes. i have been disappointed with season 12 however. tonsil trouble was the first episode of south park since jackovasaurus where i barely laughed at all. britany's new look was not much better. On the upside, Major Boobage was a hilarious classic! Canada on Strike was just boring, Eek a penis would have been funny if it didn't go too far with that mouse and penis thing...the singing penis was just awful. Over logging wasn't all that funny. it was very similar to smug alert which was a muccccchhhh better episode so it paled in comparison. randy skeeting on himself was classic though haha. super fun time was decent. i agree with all of the people who miss the old south park. i prefer cartman acting like a whiny immature but still evil kid. i miss kenny being killed. i miss simpler episodes every once and while where they all just act like kids like the return of the fellowship of the ring to the two towers. it was funnier that way because then when stan in particular and kyle acted more mature than their age and were smarter than the adults it was ironically funny. it also made their crazy adventures that much more funny because they didn't overdo every other episode
Kenstar

Postby Kenstar » Fri May 09, 2008 4:18 am

I agree that southpark has become all about shock factor...

Fact!: More people have died in the past 2 seasons then the first 10 put together!!!
It's a mans obligation to stick his boneration in a womans seperation to increase the population of the future generation if you would like a demonstration Lie down!
mar1boro_red

Postby mar1boro_red » Fri May 09, 2008 11:47 pm

whoops

Return to “General South Park Discussion”