An Apology to the Ramsey Family?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

tinypanzer

An Apology to the Ramsey Family?

Postby tinypanzer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:56 pm

This just in.... According to CNN, DNA testing has proved that the killers of JonBenet Ramsey were neither of the two parents.

While the episode that labeled them as killers was a funny episode, don't you feel that perhaps an apology is owed?

I can't imagine having my daughter killed and then being caricatured in SouthPark as a murderer of my own flesh and blood.

Along with the rights to free speech that allows this type of commentary comes the responsibility to fess up and apologize when you've gotten it wrong.

Something tells me I needn't bother holding my breath, but for what it's worth, my opinions of the shows creators will depend greatly on how they own up to what amounts to a vicious attack on a family that is now proven to be victims themselves.

Show us you're adults, and apologize even though I doubt it will be accepted.

My two cents.
Just_Jackie

Re: An Apology to the Ramsey Family?

Postby Just_Jackie » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:35 pm

Found a link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25608543/

I do agree it would be responsible, but I don't know if it would happen. It would likely just be a press statement, but I don't know for sure.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:57 pm

The magnitude of this situation is staggering.
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:38 am

I really do hope that they do apologize.

I mean, I'm sorry but at this point I can't help but feel for Patsy Ramsey right now. The mother-to-child bond is stronger than any man made material. If it's not bad enough to die from cancer...but to die from cancer while dealing with the grief of a dead daughter AND having the finger falsely pointed at you.... It's more horrible than I could ever imagine. I've always admired Matt and Trey for stepping up to the plate and I hope they will at least discuss it.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:35 pm

I swear we already had this discussion about a year ago when those genetic tests first came out.

This is only news again because the District Attorney in Boulder formally apologized to John Ramsey for all the sh*t he and his late wife went through; being primary suspects and all.

You read it! You can't unread it!
HAcoreRD

Postby HAcoreRD » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:31 am

them apologizing would have the same effect as if they apologized to Tom Cruise or Steve Irwin's family. Then everyone will want/demand an apology.

even if they were cleared , doesn't mean eyes will be taken off them, look at OJ.

different circumstances sure, but same idea, once accused, the eyes of the public never leave you.

i say they shouldn't apologize.
CaptainCameron

Postby CaptainCameron » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:59 am

triplemultiplex wrote:I swear we already had this discussion about a year ago when those genetic tests first came out.

This is only news again because the District Attorney in Boulder formally apologized to John Ramsey for all the sh*t he and his late wife went through; being primary suspects and all.

You're right, this discussion did happen.

@Hardcore- The difference between calling someone gay(Cruise) and lampooning someone's deathw hile not making the dead one out to be a monster(Irwin) is different from saying that two people murdered their child. A big difference. It would not have a cascade effect of having to apologize for having offended, it is not about being offended. It is about an accusation, and in the show Matt and Trey had it more or less stamped a sthem being the killers.
There is a world of difference.

My stance: Don't care if they do. It should really depend- if they are asked about it, then yes, they should. But should they offer it up? Probably not.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:29 am

Do you think the parents really even CARE what a stupid cartoon said, the message behind the cartoon was more general than just targeting them, and the cartoon was using the evidence of the day. It'd be OOC for matt and trey to appologise, they don't do that kind of thing. It's implied that they're sorry, they don't need to actually say it. ANYWAY, it doesn't rule out that they COULD have hired someone to kill her, it's unlikely but they could spring that if people keep prodding them to appologise :S
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Anto103

Postby Anto103 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:08 pm

What are the chances that Butters Very Own Episode gets banned or edited to stop libel?
Henshin-a-Go-Go-Baby
By the way I'm a Daywalker
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:32 pm

Edit:

I'm editing my posts in this thread because in retrospect, I find it easier not to care :? .
Last edited by Pip Tweek on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:29 am

Anto103 wrote:What are the chances that Butters Very Own Episode gets banned or edited to stop libel?

None. Nobody cares about something that was said 7 years ago.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
ObsessdOne

Postby ObsessdOne » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:37 pm

Think about it: since when has Trey and Matt apoligized for anything that was offensive on South Park?
Buttersnut

Postby Buttersnut » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:43 pm

Yeah, they should give a token apology. But the far greater blame should go to the police investigators who led the public and popular media to believe that they did it in the first place.

Maybe M&T should make up for it by making an episode that lampoons their incompetence. Or is portraying the police in a bad light too much unadvisable?
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:22 pm

Pip Tweek wrote:Being accused of killing your own daughter when you're not guilty is bad enough, but having it made the subject of sick humor in a world famous TV show is over the top.

Agreed. Then add to it, while all this sh*t was going on Patsy Ramsey was also fighting a battle with (I believe ovarian) cancer, which she lost in 2006. She's not even alive to know her name was cleared.

So, lets look at it.

The Ramsey's daughter was murdered. The killer most likely got away because the police were so busy investigating them. Due to this they were labeled as murderers in an investigation that was so insane that innocent man stepped forward to try to take responsibility. They are mourning their child, they have another son to be concerned with, and then Patsy Ramsey loses her battle with cancer, which if not painful enough, she suffered while she was trying to deal with the death of her daughter while having a finger of guilt wrongly pointed at her.

There is a huge difference between saying someone may be gay and labeling innocent people as murderers. You always take a chance when you do something like that and it came around to bite South Park in the ass this time. South Park contributed to the slaughter of these innocent peoples reputations in the media and I agree there should be some remorse for that.

superiorsavior wrote: It's implied that they're sorry, they don't need to actually say it.

When did Matt and Trey imply they were sorry for falsely accusing the Ramsey's of murdering their own child?
LawrenceTaylor

Postby LawrenceTaylor » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Most people with common sense will see that that episode isn't new, and they'll understand no appology is needed. Its from a different point in time.
If it comes up in some tasteful way, sure it can be mentioned, but its part of the "all of its okay, or nothing is" philosophy. They shouldn't have to deal with all that crap. It actually just hurts the show.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”