Slant against the Chinese?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

It'sButters!

Slant against the Chinese?

Postby It'sButters! » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:45 pm

Forgive me - sincerely- for a possibly stupid question, but I've seen most of SP and I've become aware that every negative Asian stereotype in the show is attributed to Chinese characters and Japanese less so. This saddens me because I think it unnecessarily deepens the unfortunate rift between the Chinese and Japanese. Yeah I know, like this show has any geopolitical consequences...but I mean the rift can happen on a social and cultural level, the level upon which South Park has much influence. Using the phrase "Beijing whore[s]" twice, showing the Chinese restaurant owner as a sexist are just a few examples of sticking all of the negative Asian attributes on the Chinese. Portrayal of the Japanese is generally neutral or positive, highlighting their big hit in the entertainment industry with anime and I believe Godzilla, in another Stone/Park production.

People have the tendency to become attached to nationalities that aren't theirs - possibly from having invested so much time studying those particular countries and/or their cultural products (like anime or kung fu) or perhaps they have a loved one who is from that particular country...doesn't Parker have a Japanese wife? Perhaps he mistakenly picked up an "us versus them" (from a country that I don't think has any pronounced racism*) mentality and chose the only logical enemy. This is really just my way to rationalize or explain my suspicions. I'm sorry that it may seem crudely conceived.

I'm here because I know this is ridiculous and seek some answers from true know-it-alls of SP.**

*although I had several Japanese warcraft friends who fiercely hated Koreans...beats me, and in any case it's not representative of their nation.

**For the record: I have no ill feelings about China, Japan, nor any of the other influential Asian states, such as Korea.
pdfsmail

Re: Slant against the Chinese?

Postby pdfsmail » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:17 am

umm... SP blasts or has blasted pretty much everyone at some time or another... Japanese, chinese, Mexican, Ethiopian, French, German, Iraqi, Gays, transexuals, Schizophrenics, homeless, Rednecks, rockers, even disabled people and old people and so on.... and honestly I see much more relating to gays and mexicans than I do asians (I am just pointing this out - no offense intended to anyone). They have blasted something I am or have on several occasions and it just makes me laugh lol.

And if you pay attention many other of the characters on SP have traits....

Butters dad being an authoritarian style control freak that has a skeleton in his closet...
Cartman plays with dolls
and what about mr/mrs garrison?
naw I think it is more than just that chinese guy... they did blast japanese too and others as noted above, and really the list is much longer than the above.
me=a hybrid of Tweek,Butters,Cartman,&Kyle!

GIVING INTO AN EXTREMIST SHOWS WEAKNESS, AND OPENS A DOOR TO FAILURE THIS WILL NOT APPEASE THEIR THREATS.
It'sButters!

Postby It'sButters! » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:44 am

Hmmm yes, I do believe the show is built upon insulting portrayals of different demographics and even entire nations. Except...Pip kicked ass in the dodgeball episode (and I like Pip too!), the boys - who present the main perspective of the show - on more than one occasion treat the Mexican immigrants with kindness and appreciation, Ethiopians are looked upon sympathetically through their perspective...basically what I'm saying is that the blasting of almost every one of those groups are is balanced by something positive. In the case of the Japanese, I think it is no secret that they have at least affirmed interest in anime - either Japanese products or the people or at worst only quirky. And the episode blasting Pokemon just seems to make fun of the success of the very contagious Japanese creations; I've been hooked on Pokemon cards myself at one point, I'm Not embarrassed to say. **

Please let me know what you think and thanks. I'd like to see a point of view different from mine.

**edit: I forgot to make the point that the blasting of the Chinese isn't balanced by a positive - something important that I forgot to reiterate.
pdfsmail

Postby pdfsmail » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:07 pm

With the olympics in Beijing we will likely see the chinese again there may be a chance at some positive feedback... who knows... and on Wing she was a good singer... by SP standards
me=a hybrid of Tweek,Butters,Cartman,&Kyle!

GIVING INTO AN EXTREMIST SHOWS WEAKNESS, AND OPENS A DOOR TO FAILURE THIS WILL NOT APPEASE THEIR THREATS.
It'sButters!

Postby It'sButters! » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:42 am

I am surprised those guys haven't written a show satirizing the events related to the Olympics, or maybe it's the case that they just haven't been released. I can't be sure how they'll portray and reflect upon the events though. They're cynical of protesters (and certainly I don't condone a lot of what the Chinese government has done) and I'm sure it would be really funny to see what they do with French protesters no less but maybe they won't write a show about that and instead slam the Chinese in ways that relate to the Olympics.

That's a good point about Wing though. I think the boys and other characters actually liked her singing, despite its foreignly awkward ring to our ears.

Well thanks for the chat. It's too bad no one else dropped their two cents.
CaptainCameron

Postby CaptainCameron » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:30 pm

The reason they show sympathy to the Mexicans(to balance out the fun) and the Ethiopians(To balance out the fun) is because, in both cases, the groups targeted are already in many way downtrodden. The Chinese are a superpower- they can take the blows that other groups can't in stride.

Also, City Wok Guy(Tuong Lu Kim) is shown to be a good businessman and, despite the sexism, he appears to love his wife.

Also, the episode about Pokemon- acording to the creators- was not only a parody of how popular it was, but how stupid they thought it was. Since Parker studied Japanese, has Japanese friends, he writes most of the show, he has been to Japan several times(China once), and has a Japanese wife, it is obvious that Japan will get a better deal because he knows more about it.
LawrenceTaylor

Postby LawrenceTaylor » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:26 pm

Equality and racial tolerance just isn't very interesting to watch. Once they find a way to do so, I'm sure you'll see more racial dignity.
And the last asian guy to appear was in Canada on Strike and he had one line, correct? The asians seem safe for now.
But the mexicans just keep coming back.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”