An Open Response to "The China Problem"

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

thanks4nothing

An Open Response to "The China Problem"

Postby thanks4nothing » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:28 am

This is the most official place i could find to post a open response to "The China Problem"

I have always been a huge fan of South Park. However I will never watch south park again. When I was in the military i was sexually assaulted by a group of men(i am a male also) exactly the way the first rape scene was depicted in the episode. When I saw this episode it brought alot of the memories back and made me ashamed again. I have been diagnosed with PTSD as a result of the assault. I could stop crying this morning on the bus. Sexual assault is not funny. I do not think making fun of a crappy movie warrants you trivializing something as violent and destructive as rape. It is in-human and far across the line.
gtaca2005

Re: An Open Response to "The China Problem"

Postby gtaca2005 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:33 am

Do you see at the end how they "got over it"? I am NOT saying rape isn't serious, but I think their sub-intent of that rape plot was to say that you can't let things like that rule your life. But I do agree that the visual depiction was very graphic.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Reverend Cartman

Postby Reverend Cartman » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:13 am

O.k , i thought this was about the episode not about how you got raped . i am not trying to be a ass but just get the f*ck over it!!!!!!! Believe in christ bra!!!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:52 am

We're not responsible for any parallels the episode's rapes may have set off in your memories. We apologize for any inconvenience they may have brought you.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Kenstar

Postby Kenstar » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:15 am

Well, the thing about southpark is that they will make fun of everything... "either it's all ok or none of it is"
It's a mans obligation to stick his boneration in a womans seperation to increase the population of the future generation if you would like a demonstration Lie down!
maxman1812

Postby maxman1812 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:09 am

You got raped in the jungle with a little kid watching? Damn dude, just another example of how the army blows (catch the double entendre?)
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:15 am

First off, I like how we automatically believe the guy. It is more likely that he is doing this for attention- this IS the internet, you know.
But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Secondly, this show has made fun/made jokes out of AIDS, cancer, murder, death, religion, molestation, etc, etc.
To sit there and say, "Okay, that's fine but you can't make fun of X because I've experienced it." is hypocritical because all of those things have affected many tens and hundreds of millions of people just as much as the rape that you claimed happened affected you.

Third, if you are telling the truth, you do realize that Trey Parker and Matt Stone don't read this forum, right?
That's how it's down here on the farm!
jewish pride

Postby jewish pride » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:18 am

what i found funny of the episode was not the subject rape itself, but rather the fact that they used something serious and kind of taboo related to something kind of silly like how bad a movie was

dude, i doubt very much that anyone read your post and laughed out loud, and if someone did they're probably f*cked up in the head, no one thinks that the actual situation of being raped in real life is funny or amusing

they just took a serious subject to make an over-exaggeration as a joke, its not meant to say that the it shouldnt be a big deal or its not that bad, quite the contrary as a matter of fact, being rape so serious and such a big deal is the perfect way to make their joke

i understand if it brings back memories or if it offends, but if you were a sp fan, then you should remember of other "serious" stuff they made fun of and then you laughed and saw it as no big deal and it was totally ok while there may be people like you who were less than happy with it

the show is not meant to hurt, its just comedy, and what they did yesterday for comedy obviously worked on plenty of people, and now its you here today saying that they "crossed the line" and was totally inappropriate

well i dont believe in "the line" to cross in anything (comedy, drama, whatever), but rather that we all have our own lines and there is no f*cking way in the world that we can all agree on one line and if we were to take into consideration every crossed line there would have never been no south park and all the shows on tv would be horribly prude and naive

they have crossed my line, (and if anyone in here really thinks about it im sure they have all had their lines crossed by sp at least once), they have crossed my line more than once but i still watch the show, cause i dont care how everyone keeps saying that is just a cartoon and all that sh*t, even if it can get totally random (cough*crabpeople*cough) even if it defies nature laws (cough*kennydying*cough) and even if it overexaggerates (cough*chinaproblem*cough), even with all that it has to be one of the f*cking most perfect portraits of reality i've ever seen on tv, thats why i f*cking love it

and whats reality? just what you saw yesterday, truth, more truth than we sometimes want to know about, right in our faces, that we just have to deal with, wether we laugh or cry or feel nothing, and just because we laugh at something doesnt mean we dont care (souding familiar?)

so yeah, i understand if you felt bad, but the show has always been like that, truth right to your face, and even if it hurt me a bit at some point i decided to embrace it as it is rather than to stop watching, just like reality, and it makes me laugh most of the time and i love it

so if deep down you dont wanna quit watching it, then i recommend embracing, feels good to me at least
JosephMcCarthy

Postby JosephMcCarthy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:50 pm

havn`t seen that episode by myself yet I can only say that of course it is bad when you are insulted.
on the other side, south park made fun out of serious issues all the time and that`s fine because it brings "ignored" topics back into the society. people with personal issues like him should maybe not watch south park
- freedom is a state of mind -
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:24 pm

While I understand while you'd be offended and hate the show's creators for making light of an issue that's effected you, just stop to think how Issac Hayyes like you're being about this. Jews, christians and mormons must be hugely offended to find a central element of their life lampooned on a regular basis in episodes like Jewscouts, Bloody Mary, and All About Mormons, let alone how offended scientologists must have been by Ou of the Closset. Racial and sexual humour offends people majorly and is used with no holds barred. Politically, Matt and Trey set out to offend everyone, and succeed, by attacking republican social values and democrat economics and foreign policy. You laugh at ALL these jokes. Yet when something that's effected you personally appears in the show? OMG IT'S DISGUSTING! I can understand why you'd be hurt, and angry, seeing this on a show, but you must acknowledge that they've offended everyone else in the past and you turned a blind eye. Well I suppose it wasn't quite up to this level of offensive but that's what happens when you let people push the envolope off the cliff :p

i found funny of the episode was not the subject rape itself, but rather the fact that they used something serious and kind of taboo related to something kind of silly like how bad a movie was

While I don't find this style of humour as funny as it's inverse (relating to something serious with silly humour) it got more laughs out of me than most of the last half-season put together because it had that unexpected shock value that leads to humour. It wasn't too intelligent but it got me laughing.

The strength of conviction SP pushes all their points of view with, allows me to laugh at them when they say something I don't agree with, and with them when I agree wholly with what they have to say. I've never once been offended, though if I'd been raped I might have been by this episode (ok I would've been).

shane wrote: I like how we automatically believe the guy
When someone says they've been raped, the benefit of being right in your skepticism (that you didn't get tricked by some attention whore troll) is invisible compared with the mountain of douchery that'd be yours to keep if you actually didn't believe someone who's been raped. Basically, when someone you don't know says something like this it's best to believe them unless prooven otherwise, though it shouldn't require much evidence as it would in RL.

[quote=shane"]Secondly[/quote]
Basically my point up above. So secconded.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone don't read this forum, right?

And even if they did, would they give a f*ck? They're assh*les so probably not :p
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
aerisangel16

Postby aerisangel16 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:54 pm

You can't blame South Park because of problems or terrible events that have happened in YOUR life. You can't blame them just because it reminds you of something terrible that happened in YOUR life. I apologize for your experiences, but take that time to get yourself some serious help, instead placing the blame on some TV show.
jewish pride

Postby jewish pride » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:23 am

superiorsavior wrote:
Trey Parker and Matt Stone don't read this forum, right?

And even if they did, would they give a f*ck? They're assh*les so probably not :p

i think they would give a f*ck, they are good people after all (imo)

but that doesnt necesarely mean they would regret it, maybe have a moment of guilt, but then reassure themselves that they do this with everything else, its their thing and this is not the first one they offend, its all for humor

how would they giva a sh*t? just the same way they gave a sh*t for offending hayes but still didnt regret it, its what they had to do for the sake of the show
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:56 am

Really, there's nothing they can do about it except read the comments here or hear about this from one or more of the staffers.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:39 am

superiorsavior wrote:
shane wrote: I like how we automatically believe the guy
When someone says they've been raped, the benefit of being right in your skepticism (that you didn't get tricked by some attention whore troll) is invisible compared with the mountain of douchery that'd be yours to keep if you actually didn't believe someone who's been raped. Basically, when someone you don't know says something like this it's best to believe them unless prooven otherwise, though it shouldn't require much evidence as it would in RL.

So if my roommate joined and said that he was kidnapped by Muslim extremists when he was four, watched them kill all his family, then ate their bodies while humping the Qur'an, you'd automatically believe him? That is the vibe I get from your post.
Maybe this guy was raped- and if you read my entire post(you never do) instead of reading for quotes(which is all that you do) then maybe you would have seen that the rest of my post was based on the assumption that he was raped.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Easts

Postby Easts » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:40 am

thanks4nothing wrote:This is the most official place i could find to post a open response to "The China Problem"

I have always been a huge fan of South Park. However I will never watch south park again. When I was in the military i was sexually assaulted by a group of men(i am a male also) exactly the way the first rape scene was depicted in the episode. When I saw this episode it brought alot of the memories back and made me ashamed again. I have been diagnosed with PTSD as a result of the assault. I could stop crying this morning on the bus. Sexual assault is not funny. I do not think making fun of a crappy movie warrants you trivializing something as violent and destructive as rape. It is in-human and far across the line.

Mate,sucks for you that you got raped..not a nice thing to happen to someone at all.....but if you still let it affect your day to day life,then i can't see how watching a "no holds barred" cartoon like South Park would help you get over the situation....Maybe not watching is the right thing for you to do.....I don't think M&T will lose any sleep over it :shock:
If i filled my pool with dry ice,does that mean i could swim without getting wet?

Return to “General South Park Discussion”