An Open Response to "The China Problem"

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

tjrd

Re: An Open Response to "The China Problem"

Postby tjrd » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:48 pm

So if my roommate joined and said that he was kidnapped by Muslim extremists when he was four, watched them kill all his family, then ate their bodies while humping the Qur'an, you'd automatically believe him? That is the vibe I get from your post.

You're forgetting that people who like to post on forums with the intent to offend are usually sh*tty actors.

Now, I can really see where the OP is coming from.
"Either everything's okay to joke about, or nothing is", I know, this rings very true and I would be inclined to agree. However, when joking about something controversial it becomes increasingly important to make the jokes count.
Recent South Park episodes seem based on the belief that just mentioning something controversial makes it funny. It doesn't.

Suppose I were to make a tv-show where I would go to a mall, constantly walking up to girls and asking them "Can I rape you?"
Eventually I'll hit jackpot, a girl breaks down in tears and runs away. "Just up the ass!" I yell after her, while the camera follows her and zooms in on her behind.

Hilarity? I'm sure there are people who would find this very funny, but let's assume most people would be disgusted, or at the very least find it gratuitous.

Because the only merit of my comedy was that it might offend. There is no context.

In "The China Probrem" the only context is the fact that 'rape' can be used as a hyperbole for 'destroying something good for no reason'. The joke is: you might say the latest Indiana Jones is so bad, the directors raped the franchise.
Is this notion profound and funny enough to merit 10 minutes of animation? Methinks no. The joke was clear immediately, all the time spent on it after that was meaningless provocation. Cheap, dumb, and boring.

Long post, I apologize. It's just that many of you seemed to miss the point. Of course SP isn't to blame for any rape incident in past, present or future. But SP used to be able to discuss controversial topics in good taste (Kenny Dies, Le Petite Tourette, Cartoon Wars), or specifically aim their bad taste toward things that can handle it (Biggest Douche in the Universe, Trapped In The Closet, More Crap).
This season we just get AIDS, disfigured Britney's, cum explosions, rape and whatnot thrown in the face and it's pretty much left at that.

For shame!
Let's fighting love!
ShaneHaughey

Re: An Open Response to "The China Problem"

Postby ShaneHaughey » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:47 am

tjrd wrote:
So if my roommate joined and said that he was kidnapped by Muslim extremists when he was four, watched them kill all his family, then ate their bodies while humping the Qur'an, you'd automatically believe him? That is the vibe I get from your post.

You're forgetting that people who like to post on forums with the intent to offend are usually sh*tty actors.

Now, I can really see where the OP is coming from.
"Either everything's okay to joke about, or nothing is", I know, this rings very true and I would be inclined to agree. However, when joking about something controversial it becomes increasingly important to make the jokes count.
Recent South Park episodes seem based on the belief that just mentioning something controversial makes it funny. It doesn't.

Suppose I were to make a tv-show where I would go to a mall, constantly walking up to girls and asking them "Can I rape you?"
Eventually I'll hit jackpot, a girl breaks down in tears and runs away. "Just up the ass!" I yell after her, while the camera follows her and zooms in on her behind.

Hilarity? I'm sure there are people who would find this very funny, but let's assume most people would be disgusted, or at the very least find it gratuitous.

Because the only merit of my comedy was that it might offend. There is no context.

In "The China Probrem" the only context is the fact that 'rape' can be used as a hyperbole for 'destroying something good for no reason'. The joke is: you might say the latest Indiana Jones is so bad, the directors raped the franchise.
Is this notion profound and funny enough to merit 10 minutes of animation? Methinks no. The joke was clear immediately, all the time spent on it after that was meaningless provocation. Cheap, dumb, and boring.

Long post, I apologize. It's just that many of you seemed to miss the point. Of course SP isn't to blame for any rape incident in past, present or future. But SP used to be able to discuss controversial topics in good taste (Kenny Dies, Le Petite Tourette, Cartoon Wars), or specifically aim their bad taste toward things that can handle it (Biggest Douche in the Universe, Trapped In The Closet, More Crap).
This season we just get AIDS, disfigured Britney's, cum explosions, rape and whatnot thrown in the face and it's pretty much left at that.

For shame!

1- Even a sh*tty actor can have one good scene. I'm skeptical because the people I have heard of with PTSD don't go on forums and talk so openly about it if it affects them. Then he says this was the most official place he could "post a open response to "The China Problem".
Really, a forum? No complaint lodged with Comedy Central or Viacom? He didn't contact any of the multitude of Mental Health Services among the organizations dedicated to rape victims?

2- Your opinion on whether or not the joke was good or profound enough doesn't really matter- why? Because a joke has to be funny and that is really about it. If it makes a profound point or it matters in the grand scheme of things, then bonus points. The funny part of the initial joke was the revelation that what they were so torn up about was a movie, something not important in the slightest. The jokes in the flashbacks were the parodies and references to movies- not the rape itself. Tell me, when the rape was talked about by the police, lawyer, and children, were they saying, "LOLZ RAPE!1!!!"? No. They were treating it very seriously and emotionally. Did you have a problem with that?

3- Now, you can agree with me and still think the episode wasn't funny. But, in all honesty, rape was not the subject of comedy- Hollywood was the subject of comedy(L&S, Indiana Jones being destroyed, movie parodies.).
That's how it's down here on the farm!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”