Are the creators starting to lose the touch of comedy?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

pghfilmmaker

Are the creators starting to lose the touch of comedy?

Postby pghfilmmaker » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:36 am

I'm starting to find episodes of the latest seasons less funny as the past. I've been and still am a hardcore fan of SP, but less is becoming of these episodes when it comes to next day water cooler convo's. I even come up with ideas that can make them funnier but I'm still lame. Thoughts? :assface:
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Are the creators starting to lose the touch of comedy?

Postby Big-Will » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:23 am

Yes. Their plots have less substance and they're raping the show just as Lucas and Spielberg are raping Indiana Jones and Star Wars. They've also taken to showing the same scene three or four times in different settings. And the show jumped the shark with the very first episode.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Kenstar

Postby Kenstar » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:10 pm

Dammit will, you cant just take what i said and use it for yourself! Lol I thought i was being original :(

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35295&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=225
It's a mans obligation to stick his boneration in a womans seperation to increase the population of the future generation if you would like a demonstration Lie down!
blackhydra866

Postby blackhydra866 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Any show that's been on for 11 years is going to lose it luster at some points. This is just an "off" season, they'll get back in shape though.
polymorph

Postby polymorph » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:24 pm

^Let's pray you're right.
Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:50 am

Less funny? Perhaps. I personally found season nine to be the least funny, so it is at least much better than then.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
allan420

Postby allan420 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:09 pm

well.. I would say if anything it has been a really long run year after year for these guys and as you would expect sometimes what is funny to someone is not so funny to another, but, what I mean to say is, they probably just fall into a routine late in the season and that could also be why sometimes the story ends up a bit basic .. uh

you know if I knew how, being as I have been a south park fan since the start, I'd love to add some new blood into the product .. maybe even some funny

:D

and if you know how, try a crack at making a cartoon or well I guess they use paper and put it to PC? Not too informed about that.. but yea .. it is a lot more difficult then it appears .. even watching some of the behind the scenes makes me think it's amazing they even make an episode a week
pdfsmail

Postby pdfsmail » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:21 pm

I just think it is an off season as mentioned... and still it isn't that bad on my opinion, but for sure is not the greatest.... though I do think highly of Major Boobage and Super Fun Time.
me=a hybrid of Tweek,Butters,Cartman,&Kyle!

GIVING INTO AN EXTREMIST SHOWS WEAKNESS, AND OPENS A DOOR TO FAILURE THIS WILL NOT APPEASE THEIR THREATS.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:58 pm

People have been saying they've been losing their touch for the past 4 seasons at least. You know what? they've won a freaking Emmy for three of those seasons, so they can't be completely full of suck just yet.

A wise man once said (and I'm paraphrasing) "I never read the discussion boards because every episode is either "the greatest one ever" or "the worst one ever". Not reading them gives me the strength to keep on writing more."
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:04 pm

It's been fluctuating in quality for the last 3-4 seasons, but can still throw out amazing episodes when it wants to, like the World of Warcraft, Cartman Sucks and Cannada on Strike.

They've also taken to showing the same scene three or four times in different settings

Something they did to an extent from the first season (the recorder intro in recorder concert, the rob schneider scene) but now it's like an episode consists of 2 or 3 repeted jokes most of the time.

they've won a freaking Emmy for three of those seasons

The best evidence they're failing :lol:

the show jumped the shark with the very first episode

LETS CURE CANCER IN THE NEXT EPISODE (ohgodpleaseno!)
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
cultofcartman97

Postby cultofcartman97 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:51 pm

Becoming less funny?...i guess... my favorite episodes personally are ones featuring Cartman, Cults, And 1 million dollars....season 12 is okay...but i find the china problem not the greatest episode...because indy gettin raped is not that great...i wished it was Craig by Garrison, But thats me...overall yes i think there loosing there touch .
allan420

Postby allan420 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:15 am

I am not going to start naming episodes, however, you can find plenty of crap in the earlier seasons.

I really don't see a difference between then and now, except, the actual video quality of the production is higher.

Also, the character development.
Stakker

South Park has been going down the toilet since series 11.

Postby Stakker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:47 pm

FFS.

What the hell is wrong with them? This whole series has been nothing but sh*t.

and they don't even know it because the stupid yanks go and give them awards.

Imaginationland was f*cking bullsh*t and they stretched it to 3 episodes. I almost switched off in the 3rd it was so tedious.

As for the 'AIDS can be cured by money' episode, that was a 3 minute joke/point stretched out for 25 mins.

I had been really looking forward to a return to form but this China Problem episode was a new nadir.

Seriously dogsh*t.

I switched it off after cartman kept going on about shooting someone in the dick.

one of the worst ever.

I don't know why on earth they thought anyone cared about indiana jones, it's not like anyone went to see it.

The shooting in the dick thing wasn't funny, why did he KEEP repeating it.

Seriously, just like the AIDS episode the first 15 mins could have been done in 4 mins.

I can already imagine what the next episode is going to be like:

I bet it will be a scintillating satire on the US healthcare system with the plot based around a sophisticated joke which will take 25 mins to tell, even though it is essentially a boob joke that could be told in the first scene.

"Don't you see Kyle, America IS like a giant pair of nipples... on one side we have the Democrats..." etc.

Fingers crossed it's decent.
ShaneHaughey

Re: South Park has been going down the toilet since series 11.

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:20 pm

1- The award you speak of has to be given out each year, and even if you didn't like the episode it was better than any other nomination.
2- Don't think you'll find many supporters on your Imaginationland critique.
3- You haven't read the new episode press release or watched the preview clip, because Wendy figures to be a much bigger figure than Kyle in just about anyway you look at it. And she wants to beat up Cartman.

Welcome to the forum.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:54 pm

The development of 90% of the charactars to an MIA status? I didn't see the difference between old and new seasons until I became an obsessive fangeek and repetedly watched the old and new episodes, but when I did I realised almost all the characters were removed between seasons 4 and 8. A show can still be funny without many charactars, or without much charactar development, but they've been changing their style certainly.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”