Are the creators starting to lose the touch of comedy?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

superiorsavior

Re: South Park has been going down the toilet since series 11.

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:15 pm

Ssouth park has been repeting it's jokes way too many times in each episode lately, the award is meaningless (they didn't get any in the early seasons when they really deserved them, it's mostly evidence that SP has gone mainstream) but isn't really harmfull to the show, and while I agree Immaginationland didn't deserve the praise that was heaped on it and could've been a two parter I think a better criitique is in order than "it was bullcrap." Oh and like shane said, welcome aboard the site :|
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Are the creators starting to lose the touch of comedy?

Postby Big-Will » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:23 pm

Similar topics will be merged.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
jub_jub84

Postby jub_jub84 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:00 pm

Seriously, what is up with Season 12? I actually hadn't seen any of Season 12 on TV, I just started watching the episodes on this site. I didn't laugh ONCE during the first two episodes. I thought I was on some fake site or something. The characters didn't talk how they normally do, it all seemed contrived. The episodes I've watched so far haven't felt like South Park episodes AT ALL. They're completely different from any other season. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but it's just not working at all. I'm mostly just confused...
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:45 pm

I'm seriously unsure what was up with the voices in episode 1201, but remember it wasn't without a lot of bad eggs (more sh*t) in season 11.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

allan420

Re: South Park has been going down the toilet since series 11.

Postby allan420 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:15 pm

Stakker wrote:FFS

the only episode I didn't like this season was

"Britney's New Look"

and that is only because they blew her head off too early, in my opinion

.. I'm not sure what you expect from a 22minute cartoon ...

and actually, it seemed to me at least, sometime between last season and this season Matt & Trey started working together better then before
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:31 pm

I'm not sure what you expect from a 22minute cartoon
I don't expect much from any old 22 minute cartoon, but this is south park, and it deserves to live up to it's history at least.

Matt and trey started working together better than before
Each to his own I suppose :S
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

SouthParks#1Fan

Postby SouthParks#1Fan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:47 am

Well in a way- yes. But personally i think they are just running out of ideas for episodes. What i think would help Trey and Matt out is a site where fans put in ideas for episodes. So my answer that they are losing the touch of comedy?_____lil' bit.
Solitude and Sin, Calm my nerves with Gin. Sleep, wake up and do it all again.
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:11 pm

No, the creators are NOT starting to lose the touch of comedy. South Park is evolving. Take the current episode re: breast cancer. Kyle only had one line in the whole show! That NEVER happened before. After 12 seasons, the viewing public is familiar with the town, the setting, the characters, etc. With that background, the creators can make funnier episodes WITHOUT wasting time on giving us background -- we already know it. Take Imaginationland, for example. Most people think it was a triology. It wasn't. Two older episodes were referenced -- a stroke of comedy genius. In evil Imaginationland, where characters were created by human imagination, we all know the Freddy Krugger-type characters, but what about episode 814 -- Woodland Critter Christmas? Cartman made them up -- so they were naturally living in evil imaginationland. Had we, the viewing public NOT known of episode 814, the Woodland Critters would not have made sense.

But the whole "trilogy" revolved around ManBearPig, a creation of Al Gore in episode 1006. Al Gore's creation of ManBearPig was a vital plot element in the three episodes of Imaginationland! So five interconnected episodes were needed. Pure Comic Genius! And only made possible by us, the viewing audience, knowing the background of these last 12 seasons!

Are the creators starting to lose the touch of comedy? NO NO NO !!!!!!! It is funnier than ever! It is only because we the viewing public know so much background of South Park that such episodes are possible!

Take episode 1207 -- Super Fun (Phun) Time (Tyme). What made that episode great was that we knew how Cartman, Butters, Stan, Kyle, and Wendy would act; we needed no introduction to their characters -- and knowing this background made the episode flow very fast, and it was hilarious. It is because we all know the background that these new episodes are possible.

In the first few seasons, it took some getting used to that Kenny died every episode, yet re-appeared without reference to the demise in the next episode. Now, that scenario is old hat, so no more time needs to be spent on why Kenny can die and then return.

Summary: With all the background that we, the viewers have, the creators can go into new comedic directions without having to waste any time on background material. We know the background. I can't wait to see what's next! Keep up the great work!

One other thing: this show is VERY topical. It is amazing that a whole show, from concept to script to air is all done in 6 days! And so much is done in 22 minutes! Very early cartoons, such as Disney's Mickey Mouse, and Felix the Cat and Tom and Jerry were 3 to 6 minutes in length. 22 minutes is a very long time. It takes comedic genius.
y2001

Postby y2001 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:05 pm

Just watched "breast cancer show ever" should be renamed worse show ever :arrow: ok maybe that was cheap but next to "a million little fibres" that was just horrible.The episode before it accused George Lucas of raping his creations but Last episode Cartman was raped.In the show stan said "indy deserved better" well you know what so did Cartman.They have completely destroyed his charector in this depressingly unfunny episode.Dont get me wrong when kyle beat cartman that was funny but this was just awkward and just didn't feel right.Overall season 12 has been awfull.I dont rate "major boobage"(MB) or "super fun time" they are both average episodes with no punchlines....literally remmeber in MB at the end when cartman said it was wrong to force animals into hiding and kyle went oh and you dont see any parralels in history? and cartman said no.That was just weak.
Hopefully this and last season will prove to be a blip because right now if they get any worse it will be the equivellant of a new episode of the simpsons...yep that bad.
Haseo

Postby Haseo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:59 pm

Regarding what BigCamera guy said (dude, you wrote way more than I felt like reading!), Kyle had a one-liner in the Butters episode in season 5. So him not saying much in Breast Cancer Show don't mean diddly-squat. Check and mate, score ten points for me. (Yay me!!!)

But season 12 has really lost its touch. The last two episodes really weren't funny at all. (Aliens in Indiana Jones was stupid, yeah, but Lucas raping a stormtrooper? wtf.) There's been a couple good moments, but not as many as I'd like. And for the first time, I actually felty sorry for Cartman in Breast Cancer Show. The poor guy... :P
y2001

Postby y2001 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:09 pm

Completely agree with the above. When I realised Cartman was going to lose I cringed and came straight to this board in fury.
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:52 pm

Haseo wrote:Regarding what BigCamera guy said (dude, you wrote way more than I felt like reading!), Kyle had a one-liner in the Butters episode in season 5. So him not saying much in Breast Cancer Show don't mean diddly-squat. Check and mate, score ten points for me. (Yay me!!!)

But season 12 has really lost its touch. The last two episodes really weren't funny at all. (Aliens in Indiana Jones was stupid, yeah, but Lucas raping a stormtrooper? wtf.) There's been a couple good moments, but not as many as I'd like. And for the first time, I actually felty sorry for Cartman in Breast Cancer Show. The poor guy... :P

When I said that Kyle only spoke one line in SOUTH PARK I was correct. You referenced the BUTTERS SHOW in Season 5. That was an episode of THE BUTTERS SHOW, taking place in South Park Colorodo, but not a regular focus of South Park, and that is the point., so Check and mate right back at you -- and I just reviewed episode 514 (Butters), and Kyle had absolutely NO LINES AT ALL IN THAT EPISODE -- SO I WAS RIGHT -- The Breast Cancer Show IS the first show where Kyle had only one line.

As to your comment that that my posting was too long for you -- sorry, but it ALL had to be said. No one forced you to read it unless you were forced to read it while you were in detention with Mr. Mackey in charge, O'kay? O'kay.
Last edited by BigCamera4892 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
CartmanMills

Postby CartmanMills » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Sorta.

The style of comedy is changing - that I do know. It is becoming alot more 'smart' - cultural references, each episode being the question of "What will they take the piss out of this time?" and becoming an animation series that rips on people, opinions and events. Every now and again, it will venture out and do episodes about the characters and the world of South Park itself - but I've generally noticed how 'smart' it's become. There's a general aura of smugness about the show, now. I can't quite point my finger at it but I do find that a large portion of people respond to it with "Yeah, go Matt & Trey! Stick it to em, that's exactly how I feel" etc. I really hate that.

I didn't mind the references until about season 11 or so when it got extremely unfunny and stale. From there, episodes are hit and miss, good or bad with maybe two or three being deemed as 'classics'. Compared to earlier seasons where the majority of the episodes were big hits, I do think that the show has changed for the worst. I don't find alot of the newer stuff funny. That being said - it still manages to maintain a level of entertainment and comedy that keeps me watching. It's not bad enough to be downright crap but it's not good enough for me to be raving all the time either. On the other hand, it's not going down the route of new 'Simpsons' episodes which have been delivering rubbish after rubbish - I saw some of the newer episodes and was extremely dissapointed.

It's a change in style of comedy - they can do it because they'll get the ratings and viewers no matter what but it's not sat well with a number of it's fans. It depends on who you ask, really - there is no right or wrong. It's who thinks they're funny and who doesn't.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:39 am

It isn't becoming more 'smart,' it's becoming more soapbox. Wheras in the past the show was itself a media icon, it's now becoming another parasite leeching off the success of movies to parrody them. The show has always been political (the anti-censorship message in Death, gnombs and the speech at the end of Rainforest Schmainforest spring to mind) but in the past it dealt with more general issues, and dealt with them with more subtlty. It's like Michael Moore has got a job at SPS now sometimes, they're about as subtle as a bulldozer. And there's little charactar driven comedy to make the show stand on it's own.

I found myself agreeing with the show's political oppinions more when there was a greater veil. It's not 'smart' it's condecending as hell that they think they have to TELL us what to believe rather than SHOWING us through situations as in the older episodes.

Old seasons delat with general topics that relate to us all (death, freedom, money) but now it's just another rip on celebrities; when they made the Paris Hilton episode, it wasn't about Paris, she was a stand-in for people like her and a society that idolises them: the Bonno episode WAS about Bonno, it didn't say anything original and had no other message. The Lord of the Rings and Anime were parodied by showing how kids would play inspired by them; the Easter Special was about a particular book (Davinchi Code) and mirrored it's plot, the Snuke was about a particular show (24) and mirrored it's plot exactly.

It's becoming funny to a different audience. This newest episode was an affront to those n00bs, by returning to the old-style of comedy.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

entourage204

Postby entourage204 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:29 am

i think the best season has been 7, mostly because it has my favourite episode "im a little bit country." seriously, that is a great episode if you need a refreshment, watch it again, its great. i think season 12 has been less comedic in terms of fart jokes, matt and trey have always loved the fart jokes, but in season 12 not really anymore. it seems to be more of a dramatic humour (take for instance when in "the china probem" they had the glass hit the ground and shatter just before george lucas finished raping indiana. i miss the fart jokes and an episode where they had equal lines! i thought the breast cancer show sucked, there were barely any jokes and their best joke, cartman and his mom at wendys house, got ruined by the preview clip!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”