Ratings: South Park vs. Family Guy

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

droppin_bombs

Ratings: South Park vs. Family Guy

Postby droppin_bombs » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:43 pm

Sorry if this type of thread has been posted previously. I can't see an option to search previous posts.

I was reading that South Park recently broke Comedy Central records with their Indiana Jones episode, reaching approx 4 million viewers.

I then read that Family Guy beat Simpsons recently, reaching approx 8 million viewers.

Obviously, there's no reason to be alarmed because SP is doing very well and be even benefit from FG's strong numbers.

But, I was curious as to the reasons FG gets more viewers than SP.

Could it be because people want to see how far they're going to push the racism or could it be because Fox network can be seen by more Americans?

It might be because the show is genuinely more popular.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Ratings: South Park vs. Family Guy

Postby Big-Will » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:16 pm

You can't compare ratings that way. Family Guy airs on broadcast TV while South Park airs on basic cable. Broadcast TV, which is free, reaches much larger crowds than basic cable does.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
N!N

Postby N!N » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:31 pm

There are basic, non-basic, essentric, and independent. Rateing systems. The 2 rateing sited in this post dont even come from the same source. Posted numbers are easy and thats all these are. Yes there is a gap between public viewing and private viewing. But the bottom line is fox will claim fame in any whay it can where as c.c. follows a stricter guideling in reporting numbers.

Heres an example.... fox and cc go to podunk town usa. Both ask the people "what are you watching" lets say... fox gets 300 and cc gets 100. Well cc will go back and say (basically) we have 1/4 the rateings in the town. Fox will go back and say we have the majority of the town. But they will take it a step further and say the town of podunk usa population 400 is a fox town. (rateings)
fpock

Postby fpock » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:34 pm

i watch both family guy and south park but when it come s right down to it i would say that south park is way beter than stupid family guy. family guy is okay but when watch an episode once then its on like fifteen times and then it gets old but south park will never get old ever.
CHEL BEAN

Postby CHEL BEAN » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:20 pm

Just goes to show that there are more retarded frat guys in America than there are intellectuals like us. :wink:
Dude, dolphins are intelligent and friendly!

Intelligent and friendly on rye bread with some mayonaisse.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:30 pm

Will's right. The difference in ratings is 100% attributable to the fact that one show is on broadcast and the other is on cable. One can't read anything more into it other than that.

But 4 million viewers for the China Probrem? That's outstanding for a cable show.

You read it! You can't unread it!
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:19 am

The prmary rules of all statistics are that they're diffcult to compare objectively, open to the bais of the interpriter, difficult to control for the variables effecting whatever's being studied, and are otherwise less than useful.

The main thing here is, does it really matter that people are watching family guy more than south park? If we think south park is the better show, then good on us for being in the small eliet who're lucky enough to recognise that. The number of people who like something doesn't tell you squat about it's quality, in fact popularity could be seen as inversely proportional to quality.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
RespektMaAuthoritah

Postby RespektMaAuthoritah » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:34 am

This is the way I look at it.

Slayer=Super badass, talented, cool, original, yet small fan base.
South Park=Super badass, cool, original, yet small(er) fan base.

Soulja Boy=Untalented boner muncher, sh*tty, f@g, yet huge fan base.
Family Guy=Untalented, too much "derp" and "gag" comedy, terrible writing and isn't even remotely funny anymore...yet huge fan base.

The world is all f*cked up now.

Though Family Guy's new season has been the most God awful thing I've ever seen. I see their fan base is moving down, significantly. Hell there was even an article on my school newspaper. One of the seniors (my friend, who's always been a Family Guy fan) wrote an article on Family Guy's new season, it was labeled "Family Guy Becoming the New Simpsons?". It was something along the lines of, "As I sat down to watch FOX's 'Animation Domination', I eagerly waited for Family Guy's season 7 opener. After it aired not only was I disappointed about the plot, I just couldn't find any mirth in the episode. There had to of been one thing I found funny among the repetitiveness, the jokes I've already seen before, and that was Cleveland's "Boom goes the dynamite" line. It seems Family Guy is going down the same road as The Simpsons."
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:38 am

Good to see it isn't only south park that's feeling the burn of an old age.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
droppin_bombs

Postby droppin_bombs » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:07 pm

So, Family Guy is on free TV and SP isn't!?
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:51 pm

droppin_bombs wrote:So, Family Guy is on free TV and SP isn't!?

Syndicated, but only on late at night. Family Guy is on in prime-time on a Sunday night when people gather around the TV for some R&R. And it's a broadcast channel, and they have WAY more viewers as it is.

(Compare syndicated episodes of Family Guy and South Park and then look at the results... That would be interesting.)
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
liza_is_here

Postby liza_is_here » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:56 pm

true. but i rather stay up late in order to watch sp...
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:20 am

Well, I find it interesting that "South Park" is searched more on Google than "Family Guy" even though Family Guy's ratings are twice as high.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=south+park%2C+family+guy

SP= Blue
FG= Red

EDIT: I added "not" to get my point across. I know it doesn't sound good, but I meant that Family Guy is the one with the people who leave their TVs on, not South Park.
This, to me, indicates that the bigger audience of intellectuals and/or NOT the non-casual viewers who's TVs' just happen to be on that channel at the time is South Park.

Let's also not forget that Family Guy airs in the same block as American Dad, The Simpsons, and King of the Hill. So there is a "bump" so to speak from the other TV shows on at that time. So an avid Simpsons or King of the Hill viewer may just have his TV on that channel or be watching it just because it's there, ya know?

Let's introduce The Simpsons to our Google Search Trends graph, shall we?:

SP= Blue
FG= Red
Simps= Orange

Obviously, South Park is searched on the Internet more. Does this support my theory?
Last edited by gtaca2005 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
droppin_bombs

Postby droppin_bombs » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:47 pm

^^ Very interesting!

Thank you for the info!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:37 pm

gtaca2005 wrote:Let's introduce The Simpsons to our Google Search Trends graph, shall we?:

SP= Blue
FG= Red
Simps= Orange

Cool, look at that spike in the Simpsons last summer when the movie came out.

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”