Snow Up To Boys' Knees or What? Confusing

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Elanessea

Snow Up To Boys' Knees or What? Confusing

Postby Elanessea » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:41 am

Hey, I'm so confused! I always thought that when the boys are standing in the snow, the thick, curved, black lines right below their pants are their shoes, but then I read this:

"When we started doing the show, we could never figure out how to animate the kids walking," says Stone. "We figured if we kept snow up to their knees, you'd never have to see them walking."

http://www.spscriptorium.com/SPinfo/TwentyFiveSecretsOfSouthPark.htm

After I read that, I started looking at it differently, as if the lines indicate where the snow ends, against their knees.. And also realized that the lines don't always have the same curvature; sometimes they're even straight, and you'd think that if they were shoes they'd always look the same. But then the lines are located at the same place below their pants when the boys are indoors, and inside there is no snow that can come up to their knees. But I don't know? What do you guys think?

Idk why I need to know this, but I just need to! Hahah
I'm so seriously, you guys.

Respect mah authoritah by going here:
http://www.myspace.com/flickherbic
http://www.youtube.com/bethanydesu
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Snow Up To Boys' Knees or What? Confusing

Postby Big-Will » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:55 am

Twelve years of watching the show convince me that those are their shoes. If anything, the snow would just be up to their ankles.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
zzyzx

Postby zzyzx » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:18 am

I'm just a fan, and have no technical knowledge or anything other than my own impressions as the source for my views.

The quote from the article referred to by Elanessea is from someone using TV Guide as a source:

"TV Guide came out with these secrets about South Park two years ago, and I present them to you now, along with some observations about them"

I don't know where "TV Guide" came up with this in 1998, and I don't know who the "I" was in the phrase: "...and I p;resent them to you now." Who is this "I" person?

My own observations from season 1 through 12 as a viewer, including the 5 minute short of "Jesus Christ vs. Santa Clause" is that the black "line" between the boy's bodies and the snow appear to me as the boy's shoes, regardless of what TV Guide or the "I" quoted above said.

I trust my eyes and Big-Will's observations over TV Guide's sources. The best source, of course, would be M & T, or I would suggest asking this question in the FAQ section. Maybe someone one on the production team would convince you better, Elanessea. Good luck with finding the answer. I think it appears to be shoes.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:34 am

zzyzx wrote:I don't know who the "I" was in the phrase: "...and I p;resent them to you now." Who is this "I" person?

That's me. I am that "I" person. I transcribed the TV Guide article, as I didn't have a scanner at the time.

The blue text you see in the article? That's me too. :) No, it's not part of the original article. It's stuff I added to it.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
thebread

Postby thebread » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:48 pm

The show has come quite a ways as far as the creation of it is concerned.

I think they were just trying to cut corners to make the production easier.

However I think the animation of the people walking in SP is hilarious and if the characters walked any other way it just wouldn't make the show.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”