First few seasons are lame

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Mrhankeymustdie

First few seasons are lame

Postby Mrhankeymustdie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:19 am

I found the earlier seasons of South Park [pre-2000era] not nearly as funny as seasons 4 to 9. Sure, the earlier episodes have lots of shock humor but in the later ones, I think the jokes are also a lot funnier and more clever. Cartman is also a lot better [and a lot more evil] now than back then, when he was just a little brat in comparison. Anyone agree/disagree?
RejoiceItsSusan

Re: First few seasons are lame

Postby RejoiceItsSusan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:25 am

I disagree, season 1 is my favorite. I like it because its really different and you can tell they aren't experienced writers or anything... it just makes it funnier and fresher to me. The earlier seasons are wayy weirder, which is awesome. I think the later ones have more shock humor than the earlier ones... [gay dog vs. blood coming out of a statue of the virgin mary's ass...].
Freddy Fittler

Postby Freddy Fittler » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:31 am

I think using the term "Lame" is a bit too extreme.My preference is for later seasons,but enjoy the first 3 seasons as well.The humour & animation just evolved as M&T's success grew,& they got security with contract extentions & the like.

P.S There are many on this board who worship the early seasons,so you might get a few disagree's.

:D
"You like bear mace,icehead?"

"A haiku is just like a normal American poem except it doesn't rhyme and it's totally stupid."

"Oh no! Not Santa's balls!"

"Dammit, monster, I ain't givin you no treefiddy."
zzyzx

Postby zzyzx » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:38 am

I actually like the early seasons. They really can't be compared with the newer seasons what with the upgrades in technology and all. I don't know about the early seasons, that is, how fast/slow they were created, but now, from concept to air in 6 days? Wow!

But the early shows are great. They laid in the groundwork for what we see today. Season 1 introduced the characters, including Mr. Hankey. Season 2 showed us why Ike looks like a Canadian. Forget the cardboard cutouts - who cares? They were great. It was ground-breaking storyline for TV.

Therefore, I disagree that the early seasons were not nearly as funny.
Frosty_D

Postby Frosty_D » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:51 am

Z: After the first ep, they changed to one per week.

I personally liked the older seasons a bit better than the newer ones... But Matt and Trey don't like the first few seasons, so...meh
Mrhankeymustdie

Postby Mrhankeymustdie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:50 am

I can see why the first few seasons were popular because they had the largest impact, making shows like the Simpsons look pretty tame. [I still remember hearing about South Park on the news around the time the show first came out] but if you watch a lot of the later seasons, the earlier ones seem a lot less creative because they relied more heavily on the "shock" factor which I think has largely worn off by now.

There are many on this board who worship the early seasons,so you might get a few disagree's.:D

I was kind of expecting that :lol:
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:59 am

That, and they didn't know much about writing for television. Once they learned to do it, the seasons got noticeably better. Still, there's a charm to the early seasons that faded with better writing.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version

Return to “General South Park Discussion”