South Park Golden Age?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

SouthParkPhilosopher

South Park Golden Age?

Postby SouthParkPhilosopher » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:39 am

South Park has obviously changed over the ages. Even Trey and Matt has said the show has changed.
Season 1-4 Sitcom comedy
Season 5-9 Political and cultural satire
Season 10-13 More satire with new awesome animation

South Park is evolving. I have heard many people are on the boards say things that South Park needs to get back to its roots and others who say South Park's newer episodes are better. Some people don't like that they are using new technology to make new episodes and prefer the old style, while others just enjoy whatever South Park throws out.

I personally love all the episodes, I don't think there is a golden age because all of the South Park episodes are just so awesome (and much better than lame Family Guy).

So what are your opinions on this topic? (Please don't flame others who voice their opinions)

South Park Forever! Congrats to a great start with Season 13
South Park Forever!!! Kevin C fan!

"Never ever compare South Park to Family Guy!"

"If you devote your whole life to completely avoiding something you like, then that thing still controls your life..."
-Stan Marsh

Pics http://southparkphilosopher.deviantart.com/
ShaneHaughey

Re: South Park Golden Age?

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:11 am

First off, I am a massive fan of your artwork. I actually believe it is the best South Park artstyle on the web, and I should know- I've seen it all since I joined this forum over five years ago.

Here is how I break it down:

The Bronze Age: Seasons 1-3. Crude and generally without epicly strong plots, the show still laid down the groundwork via characterization and charm that has carried the show from thereout.

The Silver Age: Season 4. Better defined but still not at the peak of what was possible. The show was starting to find the mark that would define it, and characters starting becoming deeper.

The Golden Age: Seasons 5-7. The writing was spot on, the characters and interactions flawles, the scenarios ingenious.

The Silver Age II: Season 8. Better than four but without the greatness that defined 5-7, eight is an excellent season yet still a decline.

The Dark Age: Season 9. A few terrible episodes and plenty of one note ideas run amok, ruining the few good episodes.

The Rebuilding Age: Season 10. The show rebuilt itself, especially with a very strong middle portion. However, the pains were still there as it sometimes strained to be funny.

The Renaissance Age: Season 11-Now. It starts to recapture much of the magic that was lost, and the writing becomes snappier. However, time is still lost, ideas wasted, others stretched too thin. Generally however, upwards mobility is the situation.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
CartmanMills

Postby CartmanMills » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:26 pm

I'd say the very best South Park you'll ever find, just looking at the majority of earlier seasons, are from Seasons 5 to 9. Whilst Season 10-13 had some classic episodes, the majority of them seem to fizzle out and get worse in quality as you go along (depending on who you ask). Yes, the animation is splendid and the storylines get smarter. However, the smart and intelligent humour that South Park was once known for seems to be lost for random unfunny comedy. I think Shane's absolutely right, though. But if I had to pick a 'golden age', it would be from 5-9.

For me, the beginning of Season 5 found it's ground and managed to create a majority of hilarious episodes. The beginning of Season 10 is golden but, apart from that, I think they lost their way.

I've always wondered why this was. Alot of the later episodes are written and directed by Trey Parker but were some of the 'classics' - I do believe, and I could be wrong, that Matt Stone possibly took a step back and allowed Trey to have more of a creative hands-on approach which could explain the dip in quality. The fact that the writing staff has changed could also explain things - although they've changed over the years and the episodes still got better. These days, Matt Stone seems to just do voices and such.. yet it started as a team effort. Again, I could be wrong.

There was a show in the UK called 'Phoenix Nights' which was written by Peter Kay and two individuals called Neil Fitzmaurice
and Dave Spikey. And it was one of the funniest shows you'll ever find. However, for the sequel series (called 'Max and Paddys Road to Nowhere', Spikey and Fitzmaurice bowed out and it was mainly written by the two actors who play the main characters, Peter Kay and Paddy McGuinness. That series did alright but didn't even come close to the hilarious writing that Phoenix Nights had. If you look at Simpsons from about Season 10 onwards, the writing staff has completely changed and there's a new show-runner (Al Jean, I think). Over the years with some of these shows, the people who offered the best quality of writing and humour bowed out for other projects and new people were brought in or it became a solo effort (as the case of Peter Kay's show) - again, could explain the dip in quality.

South Park has magic because it's a team effort and backed up by a good amount of writers - however, Trey Parker seems to shoulder all of the responsibility now and, since then, the episodes have been very random when it comes to humour.
Aidsburger

Postby Aidsburger » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:01 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:The Bronze Age: Seasons 1-3. Crude and generally without epicly strong plots, the show still laid down the groundwork via characterization and charm that has carried the show from thereout.

The Silver Age: Season 4. Better defined but still not at the peak of what was possible. The show was starting to find the mark that would define it, and characters starting becoming deeper.

The Golden Age: Seasons 5-7. The writing was spot on, the characters and interactions flawles, the scenarios ingenious.

The Silver Age II: Season 8. Better than four but without the greatness that defined 5-7, eight is an excellent season yet still a decline.

The Dark Age: Season 9. A few terrible episodes and plenty of one note ideas run amok, ruining the few good episodes.

The Rebuilding Age: Season 10. The show rebuilt itself, especially with a very strong middle portion. However, the pains were still there as it sometimes strained to be funny.

The Renaissance Age: Season 11-Now. It starts to recapture much of the magic that was lost, and the writing becomes snappier. However, time is still lost, ideas wasted, others stretched too thin. Generally however, upwards mobility is the situation.

I completely agree with almost every part of this assessment, but I personally would include season 8 in "the golden age", because to me, that season was just as funny and well-written as seasons 5-7, and the political and social satire were as stong as ever during that season. I don't know why, after a fantastic season 8, that season 9 turned out terribly, but the only episode I absolutely loved from that season was "Two Days Before the Day After Tommorrow", and the rest was awful. Season 11 was one of my favorites, though, and the season 13 premiere was as good as most of season 11, and fortunately, not along the lines of the slower, less funny episodes from season 12 ("Britney's New Look", and "Breast Cancer Show Ever").
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:04 pm

Aidsburger wrote:
ShaneHaughey wrote:The Bronze Age: Seasons 1-3. Crude and generally without epicly strong plots, the show still laid down the groundwork via characterization and charm that has carried the show from thereout.

I completely agree with almost every part of this assessment, but I personally would include season 8 in "the golden age", because to me, that season was just as funny and well-written as seasons 5-7, and the political and social satire were as stong as ever during that season. I don't know why, after a fantastic season 8, that season 9 turned out terribly, but the only episode I absolutely loved from that season was "Two Days Before the Day After Tommorrow", and the rest was awful. Season 11 was one of my favorites, though, and the season 13 premiere was as good as most of season 11, and fortunately, not along the lines of the slower, less funny episodes from season 12 ("Britney's New Look", and "Breast Cancer Show Ever").

Season 8 is in between Season 4 Silver and Seasons 5-7 Golden. What brings it down are Cartman's Incredible Gift, Up the Down Steroid, and Goobacks.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
TonyG362

Postby TonyG362 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:02 am

dd
Last edited by TonyG362 on Mon May 28, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pricey

Postby pricey » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:08 pm

i barely ever watch the old seasons, although i miss characters like mephesto, jimbo and ned etc

season 4 and 5 are the only seasons i dont really care for, bizarrely, seeing as 5 is a lot of peoples favourites.
Minunlike

Postby Minunlike » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:50 pm

All of the seasons are awesome. It's just that the earlier seasons had a certain charm that came with horrible animation, and now that the animation is better, that charm is gone and some people just can't get used to that.

In addition to that, the later seasons have become more obvious as to what they're making fun of, even going so far as to simply explain what they find wrong with a particular subject and why. I don't know about anyone else, but it made me feel a little stupid, and I think it's the main reason why a lot of people don't like season 12 (though I could be wrong).
LawrenceTaylor

Postby LawrenceTaylor » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:32 am

People love to be sentimental twats. Thats half the reason fans are always disappointed about long running shows. Half the time they become complacent lazy f*ckers who don't actually live enough, and they want a show to fill a hole in their life.

I agree most of your classifications; and I like all the seasons.
I think this is because I don't go 'too' insane over SP, I don't bury myself in fanfic and make youtube slideshows and crap, or get bitter.

I have disciprine.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:02 am

LawrenceTaylor wrote:People love to be sentimental twats. Thats half the reason fans are always disappointed about long running shows. Half the time they become complacent lazy f*ckers who don't actually live enough, and they want a show to fill a hole in their life.

I'm sure there's a place for that argument, but it doesn't have much to do with this thread.

LawrenceTaylor wrote:I agree most of your classifications; and I like all the seasons.
I think this is because I don't go 'too' insane over SP, I don't bury myself in fanfic and make youtube slideshows and crap, or get bitter.

I agree; fandom can get out of hand with some people, but that's another tangent.

LawrenceTaylor wrote:I have disciprine.

Good for you. Have a beer. Heck, have two.

As I said in the other 'Golden Age' thread, Season 6 was the pinnacle of the show, but the earlier seasons were great in their own way. The show is always changing, or at least going through phases. It's okay to prefer one era of SP to another.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”