The Coon: Worse Episode?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

GOPGuyCA

The Coon: Worse Episode?

Postby GOPGuyCA » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:47 am

I've been a fan of South Park since day one back in '97 and have enjoyed watching the show mature from the flat-out hilarious potty-humor to the flat-out hilarious topical humor and in comparison to "The Simpsons" and "King of the Hill" and heck, even "Roseanne," South Park is one of the few shows that have gotten better with age.

I must say though I was incredibly disappointed with this last episode. I'm not one to ever fall asleep in front of the TV but after the first five minutes into "The Coon" I was getting tired. The episode started hilariously enough with the Obama jab and Cartman spoofing the stupid Batman voice (Totally forgot about that asinine voice until I rented The Dark Knight and immediately regretted renting it) but after that the episode quickly nose-dived.

For one, the episode felt very slow and drawn-out and long and as if nothing was happening (A similar complaint I have towards The Breast Cancer Show Ever epi.). There was very few laughs for me as well and the last bit, which I assume was the big "ahhh" moment had no effect on me as I seen it coming.

I feel this episode could've had so much more. In the beginning when Cartman makes reference to the Mayor and calls her sexual identity into question I lit up... I totally forgot about the mayor as it's been so, so long since she's been in any episode and when Cartman was over City Hall I thought we were going to get a glimpse of the Mayor and her goons whose plan cartman was going to thwart, but no. Instead nothing happened. Just a bunch of a go-nowhere dialogue.

I have several other criticisms of this episode but at the end the main issue is the single idea. It's on either the China Probrem or Breast Cancer epi of Season 12 where during the commentary Matt/Trey speak of one-idea being enough to fuel an entire episode: I disagree. The single-idea/plot episodes are the worse unless there is something else happening. Such as in the Chinpokemon episode, it was basically one idea but we had two stories to follow, the kids and their obsession as well as the Japanese plan to take-over. Or we have the Simpsons Done It episode which has Professor Chaos doing his thing but also Cartman and his seamen. Now, I don't care for the Chaos plot but I love the episode JUST for the Seamen plot with Cartman. This is true with the Trucker episode of The Simpsons, I don't care much at all for Homer driving that truck but it's hella hillarious when Marge and Lisa get that doorbell installed. The same is true for King of the Hill and in fact, I don't think it would be too difficult to attribute the steep decline in quality of The Simpsons, King of the Hill, some South Park episodes, and everything else out there to this one-thing-happening storyline. For instance, the episode when Homer starts singing opera or when Lisa does ballet, there is literally that one, single thing happening and it doesn't make for a very entertaining 23 minutes.

In both The Coon and Breast Cancer there is literally one thing happening and it's boring. The Breast Cancer episode though, while slow, still wasn't as bad as The Coon which I felt had no point to it or any real anything going on.

Matt and Trey mentioned their take of "The Peanuts" or what not in these type of episodes which is fine but still: What about everyone else? While Cartman is doing whatever what is everyone else doing to help with the flow of the episode? The more super, super focused the plot is on one thing the more slow the episode feels as opposed to a quicker-pace with bigger-laughs, imo.

Now, if this was indeed The Simpsons we were talking about I wouldn't even waste my time making a post as that show is long gone. The Simpsons and South Park are the two best shows in history but while The Simpsons has much potential still for a good 4 seasons more in the least the writing team is absolutely hopeless. I totally credit Al Jean for the destruction of the show as well as the political agenda being placed in front of the show's integrity. Same with King of the Hill, great show, much potential, but since the writings been handed over to some Liberal-writing group the show has sold out it's own characters to advance an agenda.

South Park has fortunately not been sold-out and the creators are still apart of it and there is no radical political agenda put in front of the integrity of the show or the characters, so I simply write this post just to get my concern out there.

I was up all night last night thinking about this episode and the only conclusion I could come to to make any sense of the episode was that perhaps it was suppose to feel slow, boring, and drawn out. These Batman movies are overhyped, especially the last one, and the voice is stupid and heck, I was just waiting and waiting and waiting for "The Dark Knight" to be over, it felt like it was over but no, it was just getting started. WAs a drag. The only way this episode made any sense to me is if it was a TOTAL spoof on that movie in which the laughs were sacrificed to make a point at how ridiculously boring and drawn-out that Batman movie was, which again, was a comment made about the China Probrem epi though that too was a better epi (Two things happening, though it's best when the two intertwine).

Either way, I'm sure there are those on here who will disagree which if you do, fine. If you disagree cause you enjoyed this episode but can still respect my view here, alright. If you disagree and are intolerant to my criticism than you are indeed a faux-fanboy as any true fan can certainly note a difference between the original episodes, the topical episodes, and what we have now.

BTW-- speaking of faux-fanboys, such as the majority of the Xbox forums, would be awesome to have a South Park episode where Cartman's 360 RRODs and he has to call non-Engligh speaking "help" in India who don't know what a "Microsoft" is. Haven't we all been there?
Mister Garath

Re: The Coon: Worse Episode?

Postby Mister Garath » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:21 pm

It was a silly rip on the storyline from The Dark Knight, was it Matt and Treys best? no but it was funny for what it was.
The Dark Knight was not a bad movie,and i agree that Christian Bales Batman voice was annoying, he is a Hollywood prettyboy and that does not mean he is the best choice for the iconic role, but that Cartman using it was in turn funny because it pointed to what a disapointing Batman we have now.
Did it ever occur to you that THAT was the core meaning of the story - that lame performances lead to lame results?

Times change and maintaining things the way they were is rarely an option.
I am giving Matt and Trey the benefit of the doubt because working the way they do can only be difficult, if they drop a few then it is hardly an Earth shattering development.
When TV came along they said rightly that it would kill Vaudville because there was no longer a place to screw up, in TV you are expected to get it right every time because when TV started out it was live, it HAD to be right every time.
But it is not the 1940's anymore - it is 2009 , there needs to be a little understanding that maintaining a constant level of quality is more of a dream than a reality- especialy across 12 seasons.

Most shows peter out after 4 years because the best stuff has been one in those few seasons.

I do respect your opinnion but i do not agree with it - that does not make me "intollerant", simply someone who understands change has never stopped and that we always see it clearest in the things we like and cherish the most.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:25 pm

WTF is a Faux-Fan Boy? :?
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
redblade7

Postby redblade7 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:20 pm

You have got to be kidding me. The 12th season did suck, but these past two episodes were as funny as it used to be. I don't see the connection. I found "The Coon" very funny, as well as the Jonas Brothers featuring Evil Mickey Mouse, which my South Park-hating father even found funny. These two episodes in no way resemble the awful Season 12. Let's hope the rest of Season 13 stays this good.
"Don't touch me! I've had my nuts broken, body poisoned, have been made love to in the ass by three dozen 40-year-old men—I just wanna go home and take a, a hot bath!" -Stuart McCormick
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:43 pm

This was almost as bad as breast cancer show ever
Actually, that was one of my favorite episodes. i love the part when fatass got beaten up. But that's a different story.
Now, I didn't care for the Chaos plot
Are you kidding? That's the whole reason I watched the episode. Actually, the coon had Prof Chaos, what's not to like?
to some liberal group
are you a republican? You seem like one, blaming everything on the democrats. :roll:
truly a faux fanboy
what the hell is that?
A true fan can note the original episodes, the topical episodes, and what we have now.
So are you saying we have to like what you like to be a true fan? I'm a true fan, and I actually like the middle seasons the best, followed by the later ones. Yes, it's not a popular opinon, but the beginning was my least favorite. But it was still amazing. I love all south park. it is great.

you don't have to agree, but you know, deep in your heart.... :P But yeah, I hope you realize all SP is awesome.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
butters kenny

Postby butters kenny » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:44 pm

I agree with everything WFM just said...except the last part I was to lazy to read it.
I Wasn't choking you I was just hugging your neck

R.I.P Chef for realz this time

( chef joined the sith so why don't you?)

R.I.P Billy Bonka
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:46 pm

That's okay, my post was a bit long, but, most posts like that are.
butters kenny

Postby butters kenny » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:48 pm

It's not that it's long. It's just that I'm lazy.
I Wasn't choking you I was just hugging your neck

R.I.P Chef for realz this time

( chef joined the sith so why don't you?)

R.I.P Billy Bonka
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:04 pm

I think by Faux Fanboy, he means a Fox "News" watcher.

Yes WFM, he IS a Republican. Look at the name:
GOPGuyCa.
(Not many "GOP" guys here in this state, though. :lol:)

King of the Hill isn't going down hill because of Liberals, and I think Hank Hill is the "Lovable Republican" to many Liberals.

Mike Judge is certainly Conservative, but not a bleeding heart, social Conservative. For that, I respect him. I only dislike social Conservatives. If you are only a Republican for economic issues, I may disagree, but you'll still have my respect. If you are socially Conservative, don't talk to me.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
stevesut1

Postby stevesut1 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:01 pm

It was one of the best.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:23 pm

OP, having watched the series for as long as you have, I must disagree.

TDK was spoofed in this episode, but not just that. The Watchmen was spoofed. Most superhero films follow the same basic formula nowadays, and this episode was not a bitch-slap to them, but a rather loveable send up of them.

As for how good the episode is, disagree. The issue is that you looked for The Issue. The episode was about the kids playing around as superheroes and it being a parody of the biggest superhero movies. That appeals to those of us who remembered doing such things as children, very much in the same vein as "Lil' Crime Stoppers".
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Mister Garath

Postby Mister Garath » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:39 pm

Very well Put Shanehaughey, very well put indeed.
Wii fit man

Re: The Coon: Worst Episode?

Postby Wii fit man » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:56 am

Aw, you don't think I put it well? :P
RideTheLightning

Postby RideTheLightning » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Shane's right. The episode didn't seem to go anywhere to you because you expect it to move out to space or to Washington D.C. like in seasons 5-12. But this was like the old episodes (in which you separated this from) it was just kids playing around in their little town.

And stop blaming everything on liberals.
ndesanto1

Postby ndesanto1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:28 am

the coon was a sorry excuse for a south park episode. they used the whole episode to build satire just for a lousy climax. who cares that you cant tell which kid it is!!! we all knew that was one of the funny things that was funnier left unsaid. now they ruined it.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”