South Park Ain't What It Used To Be Megathread

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Haris

Re: Stop using so many computer effects on southupark....

Postby Haris » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:23 pm

I know they have used computers in all seasons.. But they didn't make it it look like it was made by computer..
Darigaz

South Park has changed.

Postby Darigaz » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:09 am

My question is if anyone here agrees with me?

TLDR: There is none. Read all of it or don’t.

Due to the length of this document I will be organizing it in an odd format, please bare with me. This is a topic of great importance because I see it as the death of a beloved friend and entertainment means that no other can compare too. I apologize in advance for capitol letters and repetition of “South Park” etc.

After watching nearly every episode of South Park during my teen and adult life (more than once)- I have come to the realization that South Park has made a transformation that has resulted in a 360 degree downhill slide into a poor cliche' of itself and modern pop culture.

South Park is about South Park. Pre-Season 10 it was a quaint little hick mountain town that no one cared about.(Keep in mind this is part of the joke) I cannot stress this enough- we have lost sight of what this show is really about. South Park is about KYLE, CARTMAN, STAN, AND KENNY. The other children, and especially the ADULTS in the show are used as a funny driving force that leads the story along. Although often over the top, obscure, and very racy (filled with potty humor, and fart jokes) we can't forget that the small things were what made this show absolutely hilarious. The show is about KIDS. Kids doing dumb/crazy things. South Parks success and likability stems from a certain charm, and its venture into new waters and a level of comedy danger that many thought unfit for television. This was NOT a show based on SHOCK VALUE. (Keep the term SHOCK VALUE in your head when thinking about new episodes of South Park.)

This show is now about a few obvious things: What is happening NOW in the media and our culture,(Myspace, Dog the Bounty Hunter, 24) Kyles dad (Kyles dad was a quirky side character pre-season 10, and is now for some odd reason one of the main characters) and most notably Cartman.
This change has more than soured my appetite for such lovable characters. Here I will list the changes of some main characters worth noting:

Cartman: Cartman is a sensitive subject for me due to the fact that the core sensibility behind Cartman has been lost. Remember the dumb little insecure kid who had to be better than his friends? He did cute little odd things when no one was looking? He was manipulative in a childs manner, and subject to his friends wills and opinions. Every once and a while, Cartman would put on his funny suit and get all serious for a minute and it was side splitting funny... when it involved the 6th graders. (NOT WORLD DESTRUCTION AND THE FATE OF THE PLANET.) Once in a season, the "world destruction" topic i speak about was funny, because little kids from South Park thrown into such a serious situation is funny SOMETIMES.
EVERY EPISODE? Not at all...
Cartmans voice has changed. Why? WHY MAT STONE AND TREY PARKER? WHY? Why are you doing this? He speaks in his "Adult" voice nearly every episode... its getting really old and repetitive. He is a child. What happened to “MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, I want my cheezy poofs!” Every SINGLE EPISODE Cartman is in his “This is serious, we have a huge problem on our hands” mode. Has anyone else noticed this? For those of us who like South Park for what it was, cannot appreciate this so often.

Stans dad: Randy Marsh is an amazing character. Funny, odd, and truly unique. And I agree that he should be in the show more often. But REALLY? I mean, REALLY? Do we have to have this same humor EVERY WEEK? The show isn't the “Randy Marsh Show.” Randy Marsh was Kyles dad. Kyle used to go to him for advice and It would be ridiculous...that was his part in this.
Pop culture: The bottom line is, I HATE MYSPACE, I am TIRED of “spoofs.” South Park is NOT about spoofs. Its about Impersonating real life people in situations that make zero sense.(OCCATIONALY) Not literal translations of presidents and government conspiracys.(WHAT? IS THIS SOUTH PARK STILL?) This isn’t “go check your Myspace” Do we not get enough of that in our every day lives? This show is about little kids playing “Angels” downstairs while the adults are upstairs getting drunk and jerking off in front of each other in the hot tub.
South Park is a show about the children. “The lunch line with Chef” element is GONE. (Not Chef literally because Isac Hayes is gone) but do you UNDERSTAND where I am coming from?
AM I ALONE? WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE THIS SHOW STILL? RENAME IT “THE CARTMAN AND RANDY MARSH SHOW” because it is NOT South Park. It is NOT hip and cool to watch because its DIS-TASTEFUL trash that is a mere shadow of its former self. Its a mass produced piece of crap.
I respect Parker and Stone ,but WOW. After all the sensibly funny things you two have created, is it really coming to this? Is it just about the ratings? Because if you said it was id give you the benefit of the doubt. Do the idiot teens these days not understand the reasons why old South Park was funny? Do you need SHOCK VALUE to snag viewers? :assface:
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: South Park has changed.

Postby Big-Will » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:22 am

MnT have written their own ticket, so they can use shock value if they want to. And you can just stop watching any time you want to. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Years ago Trey said that when the show ends it will be very different from what it was in the beginning. And so it is.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:01 pm

oh wow. A complaint topic. That's not surprising.

South Park has changed. In a good way. Oh well if you can't stand change. See, you have to put it in perspective: is what you used to have better, or are you more used to it?

News flash: (All n00bs wanting to post complaint topics, LOOK HERE) South Park is not dead. It is different, granted, but not in a bad way. Season 13 so far is amazing. Change isn't always bad. Huff... I'm tired of explaining this. I'm not saying it anymore. And if it gets worse and worse, I might leave the BBS. It's getting ANNOYING.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
sykosis

Postby sykosis » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:56 am

Yeah South Park is totally the best show ever, huh?
Darigaz

Postby Darigaz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:21 am

Its not about what I am used too.
Its about what I find funny/entertaining.
Seeing good characters put to slaughter for a 14 year olds possible enjoyment makes me sick.
I am also not surprised that this board is filled with people willing to outright defend the show- which in only the last couple of years has truely taken a turn for the worse.

A gun to my head?
Would it not be natural for me to watch season 10, then 11, find out its sh*tty, come back for 12, find out it is also sh*tty, have a shred of hope for 13, and find out its more of the same pop culture referenced bull? I come to this thread on my last leg.
Whats even worse is when my little brothers friends sit in their room and laugh about the dumb sh*t that makes up the show now-a-days.
TARGET AUDIENCE ANYONE?
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:53 am

Darigaz wrote:Its not about what I am used too.
Seeing good characters put to slaughter for a 14 year olds possible enjoyment makes me sick.
I am also not surprised that this board is filled with people willing to outright defend the show- which in only the last couple of years has truely taken a turn for the worse.

A gun to my head?
Would it not be natural for me to watch season 10, then 11, find out its sh*tty, come back for 12, find out it is also sh*tty, have a shred of hope for 13, and find out its more of the same pop culture referenced bull? I come to this thread on my last leg.
Whats even worse is when my little brothers friends sit in their room and laugh about the dumb sh*t that makes up the show now-a-days.
TARGET AUDIENCE ANYONE?

Okay, I'm liking you more than those other noobs: you backup your arguements.

I think every bit of SP is gold. Season 12, Season 13, etc. like will said, no one's forcing you to watch it, anyway.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
RideTheLightning

Postby RideTheLightning » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:11 pm

Darigaz wrote:Its not about what I am used too.

A gun to my head?
TARGET AUDIENCE ANYONE?

Cheesus Crust, I can't really tell you how many things are wrong with what you just said.

You're pretty much saying the show has gotten too immature. Here's the first season in a nutshell: anal probes, a monster with celery for an arm and a man for a leg, a 4000 pound 8 year old, an elephant f*cking a pig, a huge mechanized Godzilla Barbara Streisand, a talking hunk 'a sh*t, gay animals, killer turkeys, and Jesus fighting Satan... in a boxing match.

The 13th season: A giant, fire breathing, flying Mickey Mouse, queefs (which they had in season 3), a clever episode about the economy and tying that into the New Testament, and a good, old, kids being kids super hero episode.

Seems to me the show isn't any more stupid, offensive, worse written, or immature now than it was in season one.

And sure, go ahead and ignore this comment because you won't be able to respond, because the truth is, the show is-if anything-better written and more mature now than it was in the time that you were praising it.

See now this is why I would like people to try to dislodge their heads from their asses before trashing new episodes when they are are a mix of the political, serious, well written episodes in seasons 5-9 and the classic, stupid, immature episodes of seasons 1-4.
Stufreddy

Postby Stufreddy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:24 pm

You're pretty much saying the show has gotten too immature. Here's the first season in a nutshell: anal probes, a monster with celery for an arm and a man for a leg, a 4000 pound 8 year old, an elephant f*cking a pig, a huge mechanized Godzilla Barbara Streisand, a talking hunk 'a sh*t, gay animals, killer turkeys, and Jesus fighting Satan... in a boxing match.

The 13th season: A giant, fire breathing, flying Mickey Mouse, queefs (which they had in season 3), a clever episode about the economy and tying that into the New Testament, and a good, old, kids being kids super hero episode.

Please tell me what's so immature about a monster with celary for an arm and a man for a leg, a 4000 pound 8 year old child, a huge mechanized Godzilla Barbara Streisand, gay animals, killer turkeys, and Jesus fighting Satan... in a boxing match. For the record an elephant makes love to a pig was inspired by Matt's idea to have little pig sized elephants.

They did have queefs in season 3 but only the word that the boys didn't know the meaning of.

Now there have only been 4 episodes so far of 14 episodes. Your comparison of the two different seasons is similar to taking a glass and using it to scoop water out the lake and then claim that the lake has more bacteria. In reality if you keep adding water to a larger container to even the two bodies of water out they would have similar amounts of bacteria..and yeah that would be my analogy.

South Park is still the best show out there but in the few times the recent episodes make me laugh I know the humor won't be preserved as well as the old episodes.
RideTheLightning

Postby RideTheLightning » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:46 pm

Obviously, the show is in the 13th season. When you saw it in season one it was still new, fresh stuff, now you've been watching that for half your life.

The show is no worse now than it was in season 1, Matt and Trey actually despise the first two seasons because they, "Can't believe we thought that was good writing".

I like the older episodes better, but the new ones have more thought put into them, the show has gotten better which is a fact, but it's most people's opinions the show used to be more fun to watch.
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:04 am

Big-Will wrote:MnT have written their own ticket, so they can use shock value if they want to. And you can just stop watching any time you want to. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Years ago Trey said that when the show ends it will be very different from what it was in the beginning. And so it is.

QFT

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Why is that so hard for people? People come here and bitch about the show being different than it was all the time. Yet every day another one comes along thinking they will be the ones to make MnT "see the light" and go back to fart jokes and elephant pig sex.

When these guys started this show they were in their mid to late 20's. Now they are both sneaking up on 40. The maturity level for those two different ages is extremely different. The show is different now, just like MnT are different now. And there is no going back. They've made too much noise with their social commentary. When something happens in the news, people now say "I wonder if South Park will do an episode about this."

If you want to watch a stupid immature pointless show I suggest Family Guy.
Cartman's_bitch 1

Postby Cartman's_bitch 1 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:40 am

I don't think it's any funnier or less funny.
I...AM...GOD!!!-
The most truthful cartman quote.
big keny

Postby big keny » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:29 am

.....i read none of that post at all
but i do know wat ur on 'bout............and i disagree
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')
RAGGLE FRAGGLE!
i wasnt hitting you,i was simply high-fiveing your face
SUM 41 ROCKS!!!
celtic dragon!
Cranbaby Sauce

Postby Cranbaby Sauce » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:00 pm

Anytime you end a show on a musical number titled "Queef Free" it's pure f*cking gold. It is still the best show on television, getting better with time. The changes have only helped. Hail Satan
Stufreddy

Postby Stufreddy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:16 pm

Well it's arguable that the song was better than the whole episode.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”