What time period do you think South Park was most popular?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Grizim

What time period do you think South Park was most popular?

Postby Grizim » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:44 am

i'm not necessarily asking what your favorite time period was. we have enough threads about that. i just argued with someone about when south park hit its peak in popularity. i thought the obvious answer was the late 90s era when south park began, but many people surprised me when they disagreed. they brought up all the controversy surrounding tom cruise and muhammad and all that sh*t.

i remember when i was a really little kid, south park was all over the place. not only did everyone know about it, but they talked about it nonstop (even in my elementary school). there were plushies in jc penny for godsakes. south park was that huge. now the show has attained legendary status but does the general public really care about the newer episodes as much as the older ones?

discuss.
As enjoyable as abuse.
BRMBug

Re: What time period do you think South Park was most popular?

Postby BRMBug » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:08 am

Ooh, that's a good one. I'd have to say the first three years or so. Maybe it's just because I was in High School, but when I was in College, I didn't see as much merchandise, or hear about it as much.
RideTheLightning

Postby RideTheLightning » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:28 am

Well it's really infamous these days, every knows about it but less people watch it. In the first couple of season there were more viewers but other than them no one really knew about it yet.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:56 am

It made me feel shock and awe.
novemberm00n24

Postby novemberm00n24 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:23 am

Season 3 or 1999-2000 somewhere around there
Sex, South Park, and Rock n Roll
RandomPicklez

Postby RandomPicklez » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Somewhere around 1998-2002 or so. I remember back in 1998 when I was 4 and my mom took me to the mall (when I was 4 and 5 she would take me to the mall every week to play at their playroom in the middle of the mall), we were going through JCPenney or some other store that sold clothes, and they had big glass cases with giant statues of the South Park characters in there. I remember there was Chef, Stan, Kyle, Cartman, and Kenny. I was like "Mommy mommy, look! The adult is big and the kids are small! They look funny!" I even vaguely remember seeing a couple episodes when I was 4, but my parents soon shut it off.
Congratulations, you got 1 million points! YOU...ARE...FAGS!!!!
Edgu

Postby Edgu » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:58 am

Season One and Season Two.

I live in New Zealand where people aren't overally interested in TV shows. So when you start hearing about a TV show on the news or in papers. It's DEFAINTLY popular. And that's what happened when South Park first came out. It used to be on all the time, kids would talk about in nonstop in school, SP shirts were sold everywhere and they even had South Park matathrons every two/three weeks. It was like South Park Mania. Similar to how everybody is talking about Michael Jackson now, that's how they were talking about South Park back then.

But then the publicty started dying down, which coursed viewership to drop. And now only the real fans of South Park care about watching it.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:14 pm

Definitely it was 1999.

The Chef Aid album was still out from the previous year, we had a series high 18-episode season, the series hit that "third season groove" that most good shows experience, there was the movie and it's killer soundtrack and to top it off, they dropped a Christmas album that year.

You read it! You can't unread it!
LawrenceTaylor

Postby LawrenceTaylor » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:14 am

Its gone in waves...
While definitely Season 3 and the Movie (1999) was when it was the most exposed... technically, the highest viewer ratings the show ever got was for 'Cartman's Mom Is Still A Dirty Slut' from season 2 with aboot 8 million views, which is super-human for cable apparently.

But still, if you ask anyone, they'll probably have seen 'Make Love, Not Warcraft', maybe that's biased on the kind of people I hang out with though.
Have I ever made myself sound a loser here. Meh.

Its just harder for popularity to be easily quantified in the modern age with the internet. TV show ratings are generally down... but thats just because people are viewing them online through megavideo links that come and go and through the official sites.

The Simpsons ratings were the lowest they've ever been this season, even if it was as watchable (or more so) than it was in recent previous seasons, simply because of a dilution of everything. Its not rocket science.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”