SP show idea: Asperger's

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

clubfed

SP show idea: Asperger's

Postby clubfed » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:45 pm

OK I remember the show where one of them had Tourettes, but it seems they could have a blast with Asperger's. This post is from the mom of someone with it, so don't worry it isn't an effort to make fun of it in a bad way. In fact, it might bring attention to the issue- there's still ways to make it funny. For example, what if a whole country had Asperger's? What if it was just ade up to designate excessively smart, non-silly people? Have you ever looked at an 'aspie' forum? It's great, because none of them know how to waffle or dance around anything , and predictably low on the smilies and LOLspeak. There's lots of material out there to be sure. In any case, there's a good chance the Aspies themselves won't be offended.
Last edited by clubfed on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
nwt000

Re: SP show idea: Aspergers

Postby nwt000 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:29 am

clubfed wrote:OK I remember the show where one of them had Tourettes, but it seems they could have a blast with Asperger's. This post is from the mom of someone with it, so don't worry it isn't an effort to make fun of it in a bad way. In fact, it might bring attention to the issue- there's still ways to make it funny. For example, what if a whole country had Asperger's? What if it was just ade up to designate excessively smart, non-silly people? Have you ever looked at an 'aspie' forum? It's great, because none of them know how to waffle or dance around anything , and predictably low on the smilies and LOLspeak. There's lots of material out there to be sure. In any case, there's a good chance the Aspies themselves won't be offended.

But who would be the Aspie?
clubfed

Postby clubfed » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:49 am

I don't know if it would be any of the main characters but they have had over the years various lesser characters in their classroom- the goth chick, the kid aptly named 'token', Butters, Damien the evil. Just saying, the interactions between the SP gang and the aspie kid . The angle would be not to look at the aspie kid as totally weird but to look at the culture of LOLitude , and the rest of us as weird too, challenging what we call 'normal' . Of course there is plenty of inherent aspie-weirdness to go around without even trying. There's also supposedly all these famous historical 'aspies'- they have assigned such status to retroactively/posthumously.

The point is, is that many shows now challenge accepted stereotypes, but something like aspie-ness kind of goes beyond that kind of thing and into challenging how we perceive reality itself. One would probably have to do a little research to understand Planet Asperger. SP doesn't appear to me as being afraid of such things- that is, SP doesn't fear offending the ready-to-be-offended crowd- though I know a couple harley riders that laughed albeit with furrowed brow as they viewed the harley-fagg (H/F) episode. It was as if they didn't know if being offended would see even MORE faggEE, so they hid their shame. As far as Real Gays That Ride Harleys , if they are OK with the episode -I live near SF- I don't know, but I bet they are laughing as hard as I was.

As far as aspies being offended - as I said, I don't think they would be, because in researching this because of my son, I have found there is kind of an Aspie-Pride thing, though I don't think it involves rainbows or fluffy kitties and balloons. I don't know if it is enough to base a whole show upon, but as weird as it is, it may make for an interesting premise. Here's hoping there will be more replies , if not we will be looking foward to the next episode! And yes, my aspie 'gets' SP, that is when he can be pried away from the uber-nerdy aspie hobbies.

PS : Your sig about Cartman- how could you!?
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:23 am

clubfed wrote:I don't know if it would be any of the main characters but they have had over the years various lesser characters in their classroom- the goth chick, the kid aptly named 'token', Butters, Damien the evil. Just saying, the interactions between the SP gang and the aspie kid . The angle would be not to look at the aspie kid as totally weird but to look at the culture of LOLitude , and the rest of us as weird too, challenging what we call 'normal' . Of course there is plenty of inherent aspie-weirdness to go around without even trying. There's also supposedly all these famous historical 'aspies'- they have assigned such status to retroactively/posthumously.

The point is, is that many shows now challenge accepted stereotypes, but something like aspie-ness kind of goes beyond that kind of thing and into challenging how we perceive reality itself. One would probably have to do a little research to understand Planet Asperger. SP doesn't appear to me as being afraid of such things- that is, SP doesn't fear offending the ready-to-be-offended crowd- though I know a couple harley riders that laughed albeit with furrowed brow as they viewed the harley-fagg (H/F) episode. It was as if they didn't know if being offended would see even MORE faggEE, so they hid their shame. As far as Real Gays That Ride Harleys , if they are OK with the episode -I live near SF- I don't know, but I bet they are laughing as hard as I was.

As far as aspies being offended - as I said, I don't think they would be, because in researching this because of my son, I have found there is kind of an Aspie-Pride thing, though I don't think it involves rainbows or fluffy kitties and balloons. I don't know if it is enough to base a whole show upon, but as weird as it is, it may make for an interesting premise. Here's hoping there will be more replies , if not we will be looking foward to the next episode! And yes, my aspie 'gets' SP, that is when he can be pried away from the uber-nerdy aspie hobbies.

PS : Your sig about Cartman- how could you!?

ur a n00b
clubfed

Re: SP show idea: Asperger's

Postby clubfed » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:32 am

NWT000, did you intend to not answer or is that a reiteration of the sig?

Anyway, don't want to derail the original subject.

Kids on the 'short bus' at SP form disabled factions.
Aspies vs Tourettes? A clusteruknowwhat ensues of head-banging, weird noises and such where one kids disability triggers anothers.

aspie to tourettes kid seated next to him, (who is making weird noises and twitching ): "Stop! can you just STOP?"
(aspie bangs head or grabs his own hand to stop hand flapping)

Tourettes kid" OK, I'll stop doing this when you can stop talking about linux and submarines!"

Horrible School Principal Chick
" Since the Disability Riot ....some people have said they don't feel SAFE....blah blah blah.."

There could be conflict, a love story, or someone 'coming out' with their disability- Aspieness is safe because their problem doesn't have the stigma others might- because it tends to not be IQ related. Hence, the concept of 'coming out' as a smart yet labeled 'disabled' person, which most can't get their head around- and our perceptions of who is 'challenged' and who is 'ok'.

The thing the teens and 20 somethings have all been saying they have is bi-polar, previously known as manic depression. The concept that we all have some disorder sees to be awfully popular these days.

Why is there no disorder named for people who spend an inordinate amount of time on the phone, posting pictures of their dog , scrapbooking, or creating sparkly animated gifs ? Sure maybe they can 'get along' with people, but maybe they are useful-challenged or annoying-challenged.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:24 pm

Just ignore NWT, heshe's just... well I don't know exactly what he is, but whatever he is, that's what he is alright.

I think this could work, partially because I think that a good percentage of the members who come to this site regularly (and previous members) have some degree of Asperger's, and would welcome such an episode. I think that Craig could be the Aspie. I'm just basing this on the way he acted in the Pandemic story arc though... And a little bit on Tweek v Craig.
clubfed

Postby clubfed » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:12 pm

I think this could work, partially because I think that a good percentage of the members who come to this site regularly (and previous members) have some degree of Asperger's, and would welcome such an episode. >>

I haven't been on here for long so I can't speak to whether other members here are aspie/ish, and I have to admit because of kids and other stuff at times I have let my SP viewing lapse, but now I am curious about the Craig character. My son says aspies tend to do have a sense of humor about their 'condition' so that is a good thing IMHO.

I say 'condition' in quotes because there actually is stuff about aspie-ness that is admirable, besides the fact as young children they tend to be the easiest toddlers/babies in the world - give them a couple legos ,things to line up or something to take apart and a couple tools and they will entertain themselves for hours! I thought I just got lucky with him, didn't think there was a problem.

One thing experiencing aspieness for 18 yrs through him has taught me, which is just how silly the rest of us are. The rest of us spend so much time on subtlety and emotional correctness, placating others and 'appropriateness', while they tend to be direct and literal about everything, unworried as they are about being offended or offending, and most of them don't enjoy loud conflict or emotional displays , 'drama'. The silly things many of us seem to preoccupy ourselves with just don't seem to be on their radar, they don't 'get' or find annoying. I' ve seen a similar phenomenon in super-smart (Mensa level) people sans the aspieness.

A funny thing is that in the age of tolerance, I see him having to tolerate a lot of other people's stupid(ities) while they simultaneously look at him like HE is the weird one. I'm sure apsies aren't alone in this!

I know Tweak and saw the coffee episode which was great, not sure if I remember him being Tourette-sy or just a common spazz , coffee or not. The underpants gnomes were awesome, kind of Twin Peaks meets SP.

Being in my early 40's, I also find the parents characters great and hope to see more weird parent things. Maybe because I am from a different generation there's stuff I don't like, like everything having to do with poop, or that awful 'queef' episode, but hey, not every episode is going to appeal to everyone- the ones I like more than make up for it. I' m sure there are different writers for different shows, and that is probably part of it.

Back to the topic , apparently there is a movie coming out soon dealing with an aspie guy, I think called 'Adam' - so that might be a good media moment if it takes hold and starts being covered by major shows.

Any aspies here who want to come forward?

SP: the aspies dirty little secret when they aren't writing code or studying the workings of flux capacitors -hey they could moonlight at Guantanamo Bay .

"I'll tell you anything! Just make him stop telling me why one OS is superior to another! Please, please!"
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:43 pm

clubfed wrote:NWT000, did you intend to not answer or is that a reiteration of the sig?

Anyway, don't want to derail the original subject.

Kids on the 'short bus' at SP form disabled factions.
Aspies vs Tourettes? A clusteruknowwhat ensues of head-banging, weird noises and such where one kids disability triggers anothers.

aspie to tourettes kid seated next to him, (who is making weird noises and twitching ): "Stop! can you just STOP?"
(aspie bangs head or grabs his own hand to stop hand flapping)

Tourettes kid" OK, I'll stop doing this when you can stop talking about linux and submarines!"

Horrible School Principal Chick
" Since the Disability Riot ....some people have said they don't feel SAFE....blah blah blah.."

There could be conflict, a love story, or someone 'coming out' with their disability- Aspieness is safe because their problem doesn't have the stigma others might- because it tends to not be IQ related. Hence, the concept of 'coming out' as a smart yet labeled 'disabled' person, which most can't get their head around- and our perceptions of who is 'challenged' and who is 'ok'.

The thing the teens and 20 somethings have all been saying they have is bi-polar, previously known as manic depression. The concept that we all have some disorder sees to be awfully popular these days.

Why is there no disorder named for people who spend an inordinate amount of time on the phone, posting pictures of their dog , scrapbooking, or creating sparkly animated gifs ? Sure maybe they can 'get along' with people, but maybe they are useful-challenged or annoying-challenged.

The sig, I truly hate Fatboy. He's just a giant dick. Me and Wii fit man both agree on that.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:57 am

clubfed wrote:

I've taken a look at the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders out of curiosity, and I've reached the conclusion that every quantifiable human trait is somehow a disorder. The basis for psychological disgnostics in the first place is an assumption that 'the norm' of human behavior is inherently the healthiest way to act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnostic ... _Disorders

I don't think we'll see an SP episode based on Asperger's because there's not a lot of funny material to work with. In many ways the larger culture is more laughable than the potential subjects.

Even though I personally don't have AS, I can see why someone with the syndrome can have a hard time in interpersonal dealings. Society is just as shallow as it is treacherous.
Iceman720

Postby Iceman720 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:17 am

I think Butters is close to a person who has aspergers. He's very nieve and innocent. My younger cousin has Aspergers and was exactly like butters at age 9. When I was 9 years old I was more like Stan except I wasn't as smart, I didn't swear as much, and I thought all girls were icky and i tended to be very hyper at times of excitement.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:47 am

(throws a bag over my head)

When you're say 9, its just beginning to kick in like puberty.

As you get older, it often gets worse especially around your teen years. It starts with small limited interests then by the time you're 16 the only thing you have are your room, and your limited interests (Radio, South Park) and you wind up with an internet connection and start posting on boards like this. People look at you like you're crazy or weird both online and offline.

Then there's the paranoia. I feel BAD about replying to this thread because I know its in the wrong place but then you feel the need to because the subject is the main reason why you're here in the first place.

to end this blah blah blah I wouldn't be suprised if they did one about it. Its becoming as overdiagnosed as ADD
Stan and Kyle :)
N / A

Postby N / A » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:50 am

kfgg wrote:(throws a bag over my head)

When you're say 9, its just beginning to kick in like puberty.

As you get older, it often gets worse especially around your teen years. It starts with small limited interests then by the time you're 16 the only thing you have are your room, and your limited interests (Radio, South Park) and you wind up with an internet connection and start posting on boards like this. People look at you like you're crazy or weird both online and offline.

Then there's the paranoia. I feel BAD about replying to this thread because I know its in the wrong place but then you feel the need to because the subject is the main reason why you're here in the first place.

to end this blah blah blah I wouldn't be suprised if they did one about it. Its becoming as overdiagnosed as ADD

Holy shyt. I'm like, exactly the same way. Couldn't agree more.
clubfed

Postby clubfed » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:56 pm

[quote="Pip Tweek"][quote="clubfed"]

I don't think we'll see an SP episode based on Asperger's because there's not a lot of funny material to work with. In many ways the larger culture is more laughable than the potential subjects.

quote]

Disagree with the first part- that there's not enough funny stuff with aspies - which leads to ....the part of about the larger culture...
Uh yeah, piptweak that's what I was trying to get across in previous posts- that it isn't necessarily the aspie that is funny but rather what is deemed as 'normal society' and how anyone who doesn't fit in is going to be categorized and pathologized- but again, where is the DSM listing for people who are into lolcats , tabloids, you tube and spending inordinate amounts of time on social networking sites.
Blkhawk2121

Postby Blkhawk2121 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:38 am

OK, so my brother has asperger's and tourretes, double whammy right :x ? He does the weirdest crap like cry when no one else on earth would, throw pissy fits over practically nothing, and is ANNOYING in general. I think Butters would be the best character to be diagnosed with asperger's because he is just so manipulable and irritating. And because he is such a huge rule follower, thats one of the worst things with aspies, they are so rigid!!! Anyway, great idea.
lagurl14

Postby lagurl14 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:37 pm

this is a great episode idea.

what if kenny's dad becomes rich by getting a good job. kenny's dad has a talent that nobody knew. he could have the talent of a lawyer. then kenny and his family show off thier expensive stuff like clothes, gold chains, cool game systems, etc. and a big house. then kenny should betray all of his friends. also to add a second conflict, cartman should try to compete with kenny, but fails. then somehow kenny's dad looses his job and they loose everything and become back to normal. then at the end, kenny can say... "you know, ive learned something today" and he can explain how money shouldnt get in the way of friendships. (by the way, kenny should be unhooded throughout this episode.) please consider this!!!
JESUS LOVES YOUH!!!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”