New episodes of South Park are not what I was hoping for

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

zephyr89

New episodes of South Park are not what I was hoping for

Postby zephyr89 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:25 am

I just finished listening to Matt and Trey's interview with NPR, (http://bit.ly/MandTNPR) and I was suprised to hear them say that they were kind of "shocked" at how elementary or undeveloped their writing was in seasons 1-4, but with the newest episodes of southpark coming out, I am thinking quite on the contrary.  

The two new episodes of season 14, and some of the episodes in season 13, have been "one trick pony" shows, where they take a joke like sexual scandals, or disgust at perverse subject material, and make it the whole show.  While South Park has done this plenty of times before to good effect, these latest shows completely overuse the joke and  "beat a dead horse".  The episodes are funny for the first five minutes, and gets progressively less and less funny as the episode goes on.  

I have also notices a lack of 'zingers' in these episodes, the really funny and somewhat startling jokes south park is famous for.  Jokes like Free Willzyx the orca whale dead, splayed across the surface of the moon, or when Kyle's cousin is going to school with the boys, and he says he is having trouble concentrating, Cartman says "maybe we should send him to a concentration camp".  The jokes presented lately have lost that impact, shock value, and all around laughability.

South Park has done some groundbreaking work, and funny as hell jokes in the past, and I am looking forward to more in the coming episodes.
zzyzx 1

Re: New episodes of South Park are not what I was hoping for

Postby zzyzx 1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:54 am

Well, as the interview also said, MnT treat the show like SNL, making the show in one week keeping in mind current events. The problem with that are many. Two that comes to mind immediately are what you said about "one-trick ponies" and "zingers," but the other thing is in later years while these episodes are based on current events now, unless viewers then even remember the current events of the past, no one will get the inside jokes MnT are basing these new type of shows on.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:05 am

I agree with this. About two-thirds of my favorite episodes are in the first three seasons. Just about all of those episode had two writers. Since season 12, Trey has been the only writer for almost all episodes.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:29 am

I agreed until you said you liked shock humor. I guess being unoffendable makes me not like that kind of thing.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:42 am

Wii fit man wrote:I agreed until you said you liked shock humor. I guess being unoffendable makes me not like that kind of thing.

Aren't you taking that stance a bit extreme? Yes, it's nice that you don't get all bent out of shape over the Internet anymore, but unoffendable? There's only one way you can prove that.

Search for a video called swap.avi. download it and watch the entire thing. I didn't because, based on the description I knew it would make me puke.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:49 am

Aren't being "offended" and "disgusted" two different things?
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:02 am

I care not to debate this. :|
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:17 am

Pip Tweek wrote:
Wii fit man wrote:I agreed until you said you liked shock humor. I guess being unoffendable makes me not like that kind of thing.

Aren't you taking that stance a bit extreme? Yes, it's nice that you don't get all bent out of shape over the Internet anymore, but unoffendable? There's only one way you can prove that.

Search for a video called swap.avi. download it and watch the entire thing. I didn't because, based on the description I knew it would make me puke.

No, I'm become totally apathetic to that stuff at this point. I'm never offended- I'm annoyed, but never offended.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
kieranic

Postby kieranic » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:52 am

I still find South Park extremely funny, although I do hope they do an extremely offensive episode soon, I love it when people get fired up over something like an episode of a TV Show xD
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:38 am

Wii fit man wrote:
Pip Tweek wrote:

No, I'm become totally apathetic to that stuff at this point. I'm never offended- I'm annoyed, but never offended.

Yeah, I've known people like you who thought the same who, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, become offended by something at some point.

But back on topic:

South Park has been uneven as of late, and I am not entirely confident it will get back on the road.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:47 am

You can be disgusted without being offended, at least personally.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
pricey

Postby pricey » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:54 pm

ive found multiple viewing of the newer episodes has helped me enjoy them a bit more. they dont seem as immediate although the jokes seem to be more obvious (usually one joke played throughout the episode) than ever.

i never usually get my south park fill from one episode a week anyway. watching 3 or 4 episodes in a row on a dvd gave me more appreciation to some episodes (eg imaginationland was a lot more enjoyable for me as one 60-odd minute episode than 3 22 minute slices).

the only thing thats disappointing me at the moment is the use of news reporters for everything. its a bit lazy. they used to be funny (eg, summer sucks with the news reporter named Creamy Goodness :lol: ) but all we get now is "Thanks Tom!" and a general summary of events, making it feel like a cheap way of getting the story up to date in the episode :x
zephyr89

Postby zephyr89 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:00 am

To be clear, I am pretty much unoffendable as well. What I mean by shock value, is just something wildly violent, sexual, disgusting or otherwise, that you never expected to happen. Take the "Tsst" episode for example. when they showed super nanny in a padded cell eating her own excrement, I laughed till I knocked the wind out of myself. I wasn't offended by it, but I never ever saw that coming.
zephyr89

Postby zephyr89 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:09 am

The latest episode falls right into my area of complaint. Who the hell cares about a facebook episode of South Park? During that entire episode I only laughed once, and it was really more of a murmur than a laugh. they took the facebook jokes, and did them over and over and over and over and over. It lost all traces of humor after 3 minutes of the show. The show is going to absurd, and stupid lengths to solve a problem. Stan goes into TRON world and plays a game of yahtzee against people? not funny.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:15 am

zephyr89 wrote:The latest episode falls right into my area of complaint. Who the hell cares about a facebook episode of South Park? During that entire episode I only laughed once, and it was really more of a murmur than a laugh. they took the facebook jokes, and did them over and over and over and over and over. It lost all traces of humor after 3 minutes of the show. The show is going to absurd, and stupid lengths to solve a problem. Stan goes into TRON world and plays a game of yahtzee against people? not funny.

You missed the point of why those Facebook jokes happened as they were. The episode very correctly showed how interpersonal communication and friendships have been devalued by the social media that espouses intrapersonal communication and numbers. It was about how communication is changed by networking, and how bringing large masses of people together can harm small groups of people who want something more. You weren't supposed to laugh about Farmville, but how seriously it was being taken- how seriously status updates of no real import were being taken, etc.

In a way, it is sort of like how one laughs at the residents going cannibal in "Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut" when trapped in a snow storm. You could laugh at the crude based humor, but the real guffaws come from the fact that they decide to do this quickly and in a situation that wouldn't warrant it.
That's how it's down here on the farm!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”