Have you ever been offended by Sp?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

PeachyAenne

Have you ever been offended by Sp?

Postby PeachyAenne » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:01 pm

Now we are all here because we love SP and we know that SP is in it for the lolz, but has there ever been a moment where maybe you felt a little uneasy watching it? But then you remind yourself its just a show and it's not to be taken seriously? Just curious... :)

I know for me it was a bit uncomfortable to watch Bloody Mary, about the parts of recovery. I've had some of my family go through different recovery programs so it hit sort of home. But it wasn't too bad and it was rather funny. :)

Anyone else had an experience like this?
loolooloo I've got some apples!
loolooloo you've got some too!
BRMBug

Re: Have you ever been offended by Sp?

Postby BRMBug » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Offended? Not really. Surprised what they were able to get away with, yes. Midly peeved when they ripped on 2 things I loved in one ep? Yeah, for about 30 minutes.
Last edited by BRMBug on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:52 am

I don't recall being offended by South Park. In fact, the only fictional television show that ever offended me is The 700 Club.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:57 am

Nope, nothing ever offended me by SP. Sure, in the beginning, when I really didn't know what SP was all about, I was surprised, but in a good sort of way.

But offended? No. :)
kaaatieeekilledkenny

Postby kaaatieeekilledkenny » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:06 am

I do often sit in amazement in the creativity of the show and how it is able to get away with so many things that surprise me, but I don't ever get offended by what they do or say on the show, I usually sit there and laugh. And if something is sketchy is on, I go, Woah did they just say that? Crazy! But that's as far as my feelings have gone :D
steelspine

Postby steelspine » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:07 pm

No I can't think of a time I've ever been offended by SouthPark
and even if I were it's only a tv show.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words ... words might hurt me deeply, causing great emotional, mental, and psychological damage leading to a lowered self-esteem and decreased work-related efficiency."
-- Anonymous
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:31 pm

Yes, once.

It was the Mechastreisand episode wayyyyyyy back in the beginning. It was that scene where Jesus was jumping up and down and saying, "Our savior!" at Robert Smith. But, then I remembered how I told other people to just brush it off... so that's what I did. It took about two minutes to get over it.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:48 am

Really? I actually laughed at that.
One of the things that I couldn't believe they got away with was all the priests having the kids on leashes in HOE:2006.
AxayPaulene

Postby AxayPaulene » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:56 am

Yes I have. But then that means they've done their job. :P

I just brush it off as well.
R.I.P Pip: 1989 - 2010
Πιστεύω σε σας

Pull your fucking pants up!
glen_edy

Postby glen_edy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:07 am

Yes, the eat pray queef episode. Just as how the male characters on the show on disgusted, I as well thought it was just uncalled for to dedicate an entire episode to be about queefing. Disgusting!

But thats about it.
Churlesque

Postby Churlesque » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:16 am

Sure, usually at least once a season. But then again, pretty much everything on TV offends me at one point or another. To this day, I'm deeply appalled that Ms. Piggy from Muppet Babies looked like a human infant with a pig nose. What kind of creepy Marilyn-Manson-album-cover-y kind of message is that trying to send to children?
kieranic

Postby kieranic » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:59 am

*lol* no.
IMO its stupid to be "offended" by a TV Show. Besides if you dont like it, why the f*ck are you watching it?
Longtimefan

Postby Longtimefan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:01 pm

When I saw this post I initially thought that I had never been offended so I had nothing to offer. Now that I really think about it though, there was one show that I did think they went a little too far and that it really had no comedic value and was just for insane shock value.. when Cartman gave Kyle AIDS. To portray the act of giving someone aids on purpose is truly despicable, and I did get worried at that point that South Park may be going in a direction away from intelligent comedy. I am very hard to offend but that episode was just awful; "I'm not just sure, I'm HIV Positive".. that made me shiver. It's weird too because I listen to a comedian named Steven Lynch and he has a song about waiting for his AIDS test which I think is hysterical. I guess it's just handled with a more ridiculous and over-the-top approach that really can't be taken seriously. He has a line as well when he says "I should think positive; no wait I didn't say that!" and I thought that was fine.

I recently watched the episode again and it wasn't so bad when you saw it coming, but simply the idea is just so f*cked up.. Luckily it was an isolated incident and the shows did get back to being funny and having a point. That's the only time I can ever think of that South Park went "too far".
kbspike

Postby kbspike » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:24 pm

never exsept 4 the start of ginger kids that is until cartman turned into one then i was lol :lol: . :D XD
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:42 pm

I've disagreed with stuff in episodes before.
I've been put off by a few shit-related gross-out gags.
I've watched them rip something I like and still laughed.

But offended? I guess not.

The closest to offended might have been last season when we listen to Scott Malkinson getting whacked. That wasn't so much offensive as it was unfunny. Didn't work for me at all.

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”