Do you not watch Family guy because of South Park?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Your Moms Fav Person

Re: Do you not watch Family guy because of South Park?

Postby Your Moms Fav Person » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:16 am

Se7enwolf wrote:I just dont find Family guy funny. Its for simple minded meat heads. They use cheap, repeating jokes that they rip off everyone else. To be honest, I can't stand Seth MacFarlane. I love the Simpsons, futurama and king of the hill though.

I hate King Of the Hill, I guess It's because I live in Texas and that show is exactly what the stereotypes are like there, but I guess it's just not everyones cup of tea.
I was evilcupcake72 or evilcuntcake72, depends on if you liked me or not

Can you tell me what's similar between a raven and a writing desk?
Niels wrote:Something

deviantART: http://evilcupcake72.deviantart.com/
formspring: http://www.formspring.me/AtomicPlatypus
Longtimefan

Postby Longtimefan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:24 am

King of the Hill is awesome. "Bobby, if you weren't my son I'd hug you right now". ROFLMAO.
baconpops

Postby baconpops » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:32 am

The writing in South Park is definitely more creative and well structured than Family Guy i mean it doesn't take much to see that.. I think the secret to Family Guys success is that if you have just smoked a joint it is funny as sh*t haha..

i think Family Guy appeals to people who cant be f*cked paying attention and just want jokes.. The great thing about South Park is that no matter how ridiculous it gets it always has a good story line to keep you interested..
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:00 am

Ok, I just got the most extreme case of tired-head ever trying to read this thread, so I'll just answer the title questien...
No, I stopped watching FG after the first season or so. Then when they went away, it really wasn't any skin off my nose. (or however that expression goes) Then when they decided to bring it back, I was like "Really? Well... awlrite." I still didn't watch it because it didn't appeal to me all that much. I do catch the occasional episode now, and it's ok, but I much prefer CC's and [AS]'s animated programming to Fox's.
Longtimefan

Postby Longtimefan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:40 pm

I totally forgot it went off the air for awhile, but you're right. Funny how it became so big after it got cancelled. I never would've remembered that otherwise.
CartmanMills

Postby CartmanMills » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:44 am

I don't. I've been a big fan of both for many years - through the good and the bad. To be honest, the whole 'feud' has been so severely blown out of proportion - it reminded me of a situation here in the UK where we have a comedian called Michael McIntyre. Whilst he has a huge fan following, many comedians despise him because of his same-old routine: consisting of dancing around the stage, making very general observations. However, his telling of these anecdotes (such as the 'man-drawer' or Scottish money) are so humerous that people warm to him. I personally dislike his comedy - but that's the great thing about his routine. It's warm, friendly and kinda controversial. The folk who criticise him (comedians) are very funny themselves - but it's a different style of comedy they do.

South Park dislike Family Guy. So what? It's a cartoon. It's totally different to one another - Family Guy is quick-firing cutaway jokes that intend to shock you, make you laugh and you can just kick back to. South Park is a very deep, politically-satiring show that contains underlying messages about the theme of what they're trying to scrutinise. I can't speak for the people involved but I'm sure South Park have so much pride in their work that to be compared to Family Guy WAS a kick in the balls.

Unfortunately, whilst South Park have been having a great time making episodes, Family Guy has been mostly awful, doing everything it can to offend and get in the headlines. Real shame, that. It used to have some nice character dynamic to it before it went totally sideways.
psnthewell12

Postby psnthewell12 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:27 am

I used to watch FG. The last couple of seasons just fell off though. Especially considering by its followed by the same show (American Dad). South Park did kind of sway me away from it because I felt like I was kind of being insulted by laughing at it, but if its on I'll watch. Nothing wrong with laughing at a fart or poop joke.
"I rarely drive steamboats dad. There's a lot of sh*t you don't know about me"
xBabyDollx

Postby xBabyDollx » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:22 pm

In March '08 I adored Family Guy like I now adore South Park :)

Now I don't really watch it all that much. I still like it, laugh at it and watch it occassionally, but I haven't shown much interest towards it since...hmm...late 2009? I haven't seen most new episodes but I still watch the seasons that were avaliable in early 2008 (season six, I think) on DVD.

Loving the 'Your Gay' pic, btw.
axisofevil

Postby axisofevil » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:52 pm

Comparing South Park and Family Guy is like comparing Shakespeare and Stephen King or Bing Crosby and the Beastie Boys - just coz they're in the same medium doesn't mean they're in the same ball park (Cartman kinda makes this point in his 'Cartoon Wars rant).

A better comparison is Family Guy and Robot Chicken - where I prefer the latter coz it doesn't even pretend to have plots or character development, just gets straight to the random weirdness.
stevesut1

Postby stevesut1 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:31 pm

I don't let the bickering between Matt and Trey and Seth MacFarlane (who seems to do most of it these days) get in the way of enjoying both shows. I just try to ignore it and focus on the shows, since they're what I'm actually interested in. The squabbling between the creators of the shows isn't.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”