WE NEED ASSBURGERS

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Luckyrose

WE NEED ASSBURGERS

Postby Luckyrose » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:43 am

SP needs to make an episode with Asperger's Syndrome or autism in it. That would be funny as sht. They already got Tourretts Syndrome and the special olympics...why not assburgers
Niels0827

Re: WE NEED ASSBURGERS

Postby Niels0827 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:57 am

Because aside from being highly intelligent and less social, a lot of people with Asperger's are otherwise fairly normal. It's far more difficult to diagnose than autism is, and a good fraction of those with Asperger's tend to 'grow out' of it by their 20s or 30s.

If a character in the show were to have Asperger's, how would you know? What would he/she do that would be funny? Autism is a completely different story.
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Seems too mean-spirited for my taste, really, and not really very funny. What's to make fun of? What the hell have they ever done to anyone?
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
Luckyrose

Postby Luckyrose » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:01 pm

That first post was very insightful and informative. Thank you. I still support my idea however :oops:
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:04 am

Right, but we're just asking how on earth you'd be able to tell if a character had Asperger's. They wouldn't be so unique or different or strange from anyone else, so there's really no humor involved.

Autism is different. Some autistics have very minor cases which are barely noticeable, but others have more severe afflictions which impair their brain development and speech, and makes their social lives virtually nonexistant.
Diabeteth

Postby Diabeteth » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:30 am

Niels0827 wrote:Because aside from being highly intelligent and less social, a lot of people with Asperger's are otherwise fairly normal. It's far more difficult to diagnose than autism is, and a good fraction of those with Asperger's tend to 'grow out' of it by their 20s or 30s.

If a character in the show were to have Asperger's, how would you know? What would he/she do that would be funny? Autism is a completely different story.

That could be where the humor is, but they did that basic idea in Timmy 2000. Hell, I've been diagnosed with Asperger's... I'm fairly certain I don't have anything.

On another note, I once read a book by some person with Asperger's about the syndrome. In a section dealing with criticism that people with Asperger's have no sense of humor (I've never heard that, but whatever) he specifically mentioned South Park as something a lot of "Aspies" he knew loved.
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for an hour. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:45 am

Diabeteth wrote:On another note, I once read a book by some person with Asperger's about the syndrome. In a section dealing with criticism that people with Asperger's have no sense of humor (I've never heard that, but whatever) he specifically mentioned South Park as something a lot of "Aspies" he knew loved.

I was diagnosed with it when I was a kid and I'm pretty sure I don't have anything either. I don't get where that criticism came from, though. Not trying to sound blunt or arrogant here, but I've been told by countless people that I'm the funniest person they know, or that I should be a comedian. I like to find humor in everything and sometimes find myself laughing at the weirdest stuff, so I don't know what basis the notion that people with Asperger's don't have senses of humor has. There's at least three other regulars on this forum who have it, too - at least were diagnosed with it.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:53 pm

Please no. I'm not against it. But its over diagnosed like ADD. Many p0eople think its a joke, doesn't exist. The fact that its over diagnosed is probably a reason.

In all reality, its not fun. At all. Its not as bad as OCD (OCD is living hell) but its not easy. I've been putting up with it all my life. You're OK till you hit middle-high school. Then you're just an absolute nightmare socially, mentally. I'm 23 and i'm the definition of a loser. I'm on disability. I cannot socialize with anybody.

15 years ago I never thought this is what I would grow up to be. Others have better luck.

If they did about it, fine. I wouldn't mind. I'd probably love it. But I don't see the reason for it.
Stan and Kyle :)
SaintTheo

Postby SaintTheo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:17 pm

I've got Aspergers, and I wouldn't be too offended if Matt and Trey tackled it. They've got a pretty good track record when dealing with this sort of thing. If it's anything like the tourettes episode, then the only one being truly offensive would be Cartman.

And about it being over diagnosed, I don't really know anyone else with it, but it does seem like the kind of mild condition that could easily be over diagnosed.

Basically, Matt and Trey can make fun of Aspergers all they like. It may bother people a bit at first, but they're pretty good at giving both sides. If they bring up clever points about and against it, I think it'll be ok.
mazamataz

Postby mazamataz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:32 am

Dude, you want to show the dark and light side of autism and Aspergers? Just throw in Christian Weston Chandler. Boom. Then they can talk about the diseases AND talk about creepy man children!
2+2=5

Postby 2+2=5 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:18 am

They've gone through every other disorder, mental and physical, could make a medical book of their parodies. I'm not sure how they'd do it originally or humorously though or how they could bring it in with the existing characters
SuperMaids/superiorsavior/PIPaul strikes again...because he forgot his Passover. Again.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:08 pm

The cartoon "Arthur" already tackled Asperger's, but neither myself nor anyone I know who has it had a case as serious as this; I can honestly say the only things I have in common with Carl is a fascination with motorized vehicles, a higher than average IQ, and as a kid, strange things used to make me uneasy or nervous, but never to the point of me running away and hyperventilating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiJDdg6BDXk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYgN2few ... re=related
redsky55

Postby redsky55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:10 pm

i dont think it would be good cause they make fun of retarded and that's worst then autism so i cant see what they can do
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:03 pm

redsky55 wrote:i dont think it would be good cause they make fun of retarded and that's worst then autism so i cant see what they can do

Good fucking god...people with Asperger's are NOT retarded. They're generally SMARTER than the mainstream population.

And South Park rips on everyone, so it's just as good an idea as any.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:57 pm

kfgg wrote:Please no. I'm not against it. But its over diagnosed like ADD. Many p0eople think its a joke, doesn't exist. The fact that its over diagnosed is probably a reason.

In all reality, its not fun. At all. Its not as bad as OCD (OCD is living hell) but its not easy. I've been putting up with it all my life. You're OK till you hit middle-high school. Then you're just an absolute nightmare socially, mentally. I'm 23 and i'm the definition of a loser. I'm on disability. I cannot socialize with anybody.

15 years ago I never thought this is what I would grow up to be. Others have better luck.

If they did about it, fine. I wouldn't mind. I'd probably love it. But I don't see the reason for it.

I have mild OCD...it is pretty bad. But that's off-topic.

The thing is, mental disabilities in general have already been covered extensively, so I don't see a need to single out a single one. I know the Tourette's thing contradicts that, but they found a way to work that into a main character's personality.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual

Return to “General South Park Discussion”