South Park just isn't good anymore.

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

BRMBug

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby BRMBug » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:19 am

Brendle wrote:"The glory of seasons 4-8"?

4-7 are great, but I thought season 8 was comparatively poor. It only had "AWESOM-O" and "Douche and Turd" to boast.

They're excused, though, for being burnt out from Team America.

I've been wondering if that Mormon project has them a bit distracted.
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:49 am

BRMBug wrote:

4-7 are great, but I thought season 8 was comparatively poor. It only had "AWESOM-O" and "Douche and Turd" to boast.

I've been wondering if that Mormon project has them a bit distracted.

Yes...possibly. Though they write that in the off-season.

But that DOES mean they get less time in the off-season to shoot ideas for the next run around.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:10 pm

For me season 8 always was and will be the greatest South Park season ever. I see it as nearly flawless, despite the said Team America factor. That's probably why I'm not a bit surprised to see people enthusiastic about the latest four episodes, although in my eyes those episodes suck even as compared to the first four of the current season. But that's my own perspective, not someone else's. So if you ask me if there are any objective criteria for judging the quality of a season/episode, my answer is NO. It's all very individual: what's great for me is barely mediocre for you, and vice versa.
yourealackeymackey

Postby yourealackeymackey » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:33 pm

Here is what I do not understand about some of the main complaints on here. "Their voices don't sound like kids anymore." This is a cartoon. What sort of authenticity do you want? Cartman was leading a Nazi Revolution, but we want them to be normal kids?

Looking at other cartoons, there is nothing childlike about Stewie or Bart Simpson either. If you have a problem with the writing that is one thing, but complaining about the development of the cartoon itself is fairly ridiculous.

I still like this show, and find it incredibly entertaining. The Jersey Shore, and NASCAR episodes were hilarious in my opinion. That's the thing about comedy, it's subjective. You either like it or you don't. For example, I'm a huge fan of Demitri Martin, and Anthony Jeselnik's stand up. Just because I like them doesn't mean you should.

If you honestly have a problem with the writing, then I don't know what to tell you. You should probably stop watching then if you think the writing is crap now. I think the last few seasons have been very good, and some of South Park's better work. I can't point to one bad season that SP has had, as I find enjoyment out of all of them.
Altanox

Postby Altanox » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:46 pm

I still like it, Honestly I still find it makes fun of society, which is epic.
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:19 pm

yourealackeymackey wrote:Here is what I do not understand about some of the main complaints on here. "Their voices don't sound like kids anymore." This is a cartoon. What sort of authenticity do you want? Cartman was leading a Nazi Revolution, but we want them to be normal kids?

Yeah, the Mel Gibson episode sucked hardcore. So did the Ginger episode.

Even Matt and Trey hated the Mel Gibson episode.

Any episode where Cartman basically becomes Hitler is lazy writing and just too outlandish.

Remember the kid in "Death in Season 1"? The kid who tells Stan and Kyle, "if a woman ever told me to do something, I'd tell that bitch to shut up and get back to the kitchen!!!!" Then, once he gets on the bus, Mrs Crabtree tells him to get back into his seat and he immediately says, "Yes ma'am."

That's who Eric Cartman used to be. To his friends, he was a bigoted little fat bastard, but deep down he was harmless.

Now, if Mrs Crabtree were still alive, and Stan, Kyle and Eric got on the bus, Eric wouldn't say "yes ma'am." He'd do something ridiculous and out-of-character like kill Mrs Crabtree.

yourealackeymackey wrote:Looking at other cartoons, there is nothing childlike about Stewie or Bart Simpson either. If you have a problem with the writing that is one thing, but complaining about the development of the cartoon itself is fairly ridiculous.

There is nothing childlike about Stewie because he sucks as a character.

There IS something childlike about Bart Simpson. What the hell show are you watching? Bart Simpson acts and speaks like a kid--he's a great character.
yourealackeymackey

Postby yourealackeymackey » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:44 am

Brendle, you would make a great politician, completely chopping up my post. If you don't think South Park is good, why are you here telling us how bad you don't like it?

I don't like the TV show Outsourced, guess what, I don't go on Hulu and NBC and write negative reviews every week. If you don't like it then just stop watching. I find it odd that you come on here just to bash a show that you don't like anymore.

The characters IMO are still well and good. If Cartman would still say "yes ma'am" to adults who were talking to him we'd say he was boring and is no longer fresh. Now that he is more of an extremist bigot, we say he is no longer like a kid anymore.

I think we need to stop nitpicking at show details and focus on the episodes themselves. The characters change a little bit within every episode since they don't carry over week to week, other than the odd multi-parters. So why are we nitpicking at things that are change on a week by week basis?
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:17 am

yourealackeymackey wrote:Brendle, you would make a great politician, completely chopping up my post. If you don't think South Park is good, why are you here telling us how bad you don't like it?

For the same reason you tell us you like it: to get your opinion across...it creates discussion, like what we're having now.

And no, I wouldn't make a great politician.

yourealackeymackey wrote:I don't like the TV show Outsourced, guess what, I don't go on Hulu and NBC and write negative reviews every week. If you don't like it then just stop watching. I find it odd that you come on here just to bash a show that you don't like anymore.

Why would I stop watching? I'm a South Park fan. I want to see if they can still make funny episodes, so I will continue to watch it.

I'm not JUST writing "negative reviews" on this forum. I write positive stuff about the show all the time.

yourealackeymackey wrote:I think we need to stop nitpicking at show details and focus on the episodes themselves. The characters change a little bit within every episode since they don't carry over week to week, other than the odd multi-parters. So why are we nitpicking at things that are change on a week by week basis?

Sorry, but Eric Cartman is not a "show detail." He is, arguably, the main character of the show.

Screwing up Cartman's character is not just a minor detail...

The characters aren't supposed to change on a week-by-week basis. Cartman remains 9 years old every episode. He remains fat. He still wears the red coat and the beanie every episode.

Similarly, his personality should be staying consistent (I guess SOME character growth is inevitable), and it's not.
kennystan305

Postby kennystan305 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:28 am

:unhoodedkenny: South park will always be good.
niksoul

Postby niksoul » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:29 am

for me the new episodes of southpark are a FAIL.
i remember the episodes that they said about raping indiana jones.The are raping the SP characters the same way now.If i know how to make an animated movie i would make one that Tray and Stone are hunting down cartman and raping him.
it isnt funny anymore, it is like they dont write the episodes anymore.I could bet that someone else does.
Do something or cut the show .I wanna have a good memory of southpark .
Lobo_the_main_man

Postby Lobo_the_main_man » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:12 am

Brendle wrote:
yourealackeymackey wrote:Here is what I do not understand about some of the main complaints on here. "Their voices don't sound like kids anymore." This is a cartoon. What sort of authenticity do you want? Cartman was leading a Nazi Revolution, but we want them to be normal kids?

Yeah, the Mel Gibson episode sucked hardcore. So did the Ginger episode.

Even Matt and Trey hated the Mel Gibson episode.

Any episode where Cartman basically becomes Hitler is lazy writing and just too outlandish.

Remember the kid in "Death in Season 1"? The kid who tells Stan and Kyle, "if a woman ever told me to do something, I'd tell that bitch to shut up and get back to the kitchen!!!!" Then, once he gets on the bus, Mrs Crabtree tells him to get back into his seat and he immediately says, "Yes ma'am."

That's who Eric Cartman used to be. To his friends, he was a bigoted little fat bastard, but deep down he was harmless.

Now, if Mrs Crabtree were still alive, and Stan, Kyle and Eric got on the bus, Eric wouldn't say "yes ma'am." He'd do something ridiculous and out-of-character like kill Mrs Crabtree.

yourealackeymackey wrote:Looking at other cartoons, there is nothing childlike about Stewie or Bart Simpson either. If you have a problem with the writing that is one thing, but complaining about the development of the cartoon itself is fairly ridiculous.

There is nothing childlike about Stewie because he sucks as a character.

There IS something childlike about Bart Simpson. What the hell show are you watching? Bart Simpson acts and speaks like a kid--he's a great character.

First, the ginger episode was great. Brilliant idea written well and is now a classic.

As for all the "South Park isn't as good anymore" talk,
well its true, to a degree. South Park has declined as has every single other show that has ever ran this long.

But has it declined anywhere near the Simpsons or other shows that have ran this long? No. I would say at this point its done a better job then pretty much any other show at keeping the quality respectably good.

I would say enjoy it while it lasts. There is no telling how much longer the show will be around. If not then do what i did when The Simpsons got totally unwatchable. Stop watching it.
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Season 14 of The Simpsons wasn't as bad as season 14 of South Park, IMO.
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:53 am

I think people are a bit too extreme sometimes.

At each point in the series, suddenly the time of 'change' shifts. When I joined the fandom during Season Ten, it seemed most people felt Season Five was when things went wrong.

During Season Twelve, Season Six was the big offender.

Season Fourteen? Suddenly Season Nine is when things went downhill.

You can't just say "THIS season is when EVERYTHING went wrong."

We've got gems and sh*t in every season of the show. I positively hated "Margaritaville" in Season 13, yet I loved "The Ring." I thought "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson" was too dry for my tastes, but "The List" made me orgasm. "Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut" outshines "Mecha-Streisand" for me, and I'm a huge Godzilla fan.

Is South Park as good as it once was? No, it's not. But I wish people would quit whining "X season is the worst." or "New episodes suck but old ones are good." Quit looking at it on a seasonal basis and look at the episodes as individual episodes. Season Fourteen isn't better than Season One, but "Cartman Gets An Anal Probe" is superior to "The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs". You understand me?

And for f*ck's sake, respect each other's opinions and quit flacking about things as if they're facts. I love "200" and "201" and think they're the best episodes of South Park since, with one exception, the sixth season. But I'm not going to tell anyone who says they're boring to shut the f*ck up. I may question it, but I won't be an ass about it.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Deggendorfer

Postby Deggendorfer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:46 am

What the ...!?

Southpark ist getting better and better in each season!

First seasons had a very simple plot - they were also funny, but they do not reach the deep black and thoughtful humor, the episodes reach nowadays!

Matt and Trey should NOT get back to the Season-1-Standard ever again!
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:22 pm

^ Hey relax guy, Matt and Trey have shown when they put their minds to it, they can combine the best of old and new. "The List" is an incredible example - all five boys have important, if small roles, it pokes fun at a real-life incident, but doesn't require knowledge of it, Wendy's actually important again, and we get good old running gags back: Kenny's death, Stan puking on Wendy, Cartman denying he's fat, and Cartman being stupid.

Even if you hate the episode, you have to admit it combined a lot of classic and new elements.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”