South Park just isn't good anymore.

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

jaidnabi
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby jaidnabi » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:52 pm

I think south park still is the best show in t.v. and it's getting better every season. Tray and Matt, thanks for the new season, keep up the good work.
Zazaban
Posts: 3280
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:32 am

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby Zazaban » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:19 pm

I prefer the earlier stuff (my favourite period is around seasons 4-8,) but I still like the new episodes, still probably the best thing on T.V.

Realism? This is the show where in the first scene of the first episode a baby gets kicked straight through two bus windows and survives without a scratch.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
IKyman
Posts: 1199
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:38 am

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby IKyman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:54 pm

South Park is just maturing up with new humor jokes, parodies, clean animation and much more. I like both old and new SP episodes :D
nwt000
Posts: 1830
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:47 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby nwt000 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:14 pm

IKyman wrote:South Park is just maturing up with new humor jokes, parodies, clean animation and much more. I like both old and new SP episodes :D

Me too!
ShaneHaughey
Posts: 11192
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:36 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:05 am

The show is in its twilight for sure. It is better than 9-10, but episodes nowadays aren't even on the same field as episodes from 4-7.
It is all due to the writing. In terms of humor, it has more or less taken a nosedive. There is generally only one or two actual jokes an episode, recycled repeatedly. There is also a great emphasis on faux drama for comedic purposes, but that only works when used very quickly or rarely.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
kieranic
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:33 am

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby kieranic » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:31 am

Is when is Cartman a normal kid either? I admit, the only things I want back is how he says "Shweet!" (still does occasionally), "Meemm!! ...But MEEEMMM!", how he'd go "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" and "Come over nyah!".

But apart from that the humor depends on how you interpret it. I find my humor very much like Matt and Treys (Shock humor, and that sort of "stupid" humor they do (I dont know how to describe it)) and as such, I've laughed at pretty much every South Park episode.

I admit, my most favorite seasons are around 3-8 but I still quite enjoy the new season (Except for Sexual Healing, that was really the only episode that wasn't funny).

In terms of animation, what animated TV show HASN'T gotten better? Look at the Simpsons Season 1, and Season 14. You can tell they've changed dramatically. The only thing I dislike is when they do over-the-top 3D like Mecha-Streisand in 200 (Although, I didnt mind that case because it was the 200th episode and they wanted to make her look badass and cool).

Voice-acting? If you think Matt and Trey can't voice act anymore, there really is something wrong with you. They do their voices and voice-acting incredibly well, something many people (like me) wish they could do.

In no way am I saying you're stupid for thinking South Park has gotten worser this season, I'm just saying that I (personally) think you're wrong on many points. Perhaps it could be because you're holding high expectations? I rarely hold high expectations because I know that if I do, I'll generally be disappointed (I do this in real life as well, not just South Park).
jmstarchild
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:13 am

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby jmstarchild » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Waitwaitwait whoooa. You say Cartman pulled a gun on a guy and Cartman ran over another? Dude don't you remember Cartman having Scott's parents killed and making him EAT his parents? How can you say he's not being a child anymore when kids don't really trick others to eat his parents.
That's what Cartman is, a sadistic child. Wouldn't it be boring to have them act the same after so many years? In my eyes the characters have grown. I like growth.
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby Brendle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:18 am

Can I first stress how lame the "Omg South Park is just maturing ok!!!!" argument is? South Park have gone BACKWARDS in terms of maturity this season.

IMO, South Park's prime was seasons 9-11, it had that perfect balance of humor and social commentary. So depressing that their heyday was only three years ago.

LilNugget wrote:"Cartman pulls guns on people now (he held someone at gunpoint in Medicinal Fried Chicken). Kids don't do that, at all. Cartman runs people over on the NASCAR track. Kids don't murder people. If you honestly can't see how Cartman is just an empty character now, used as a puppet to express the creators' views, then there is no helping you."

So you were up in arms after an episode like Junior Detectives as well then right? Oh wait, that was back when the show was "good" and totally realistic in every way right? How about when Cartman made Scot Tenorman eat his parents, did you complain then as well? Or when the kids took on the Chinese mafia to save their "client" in a gun battle?

I've addressed some of your points in a previous post but I'll go through it again:

The Scott Tenorman episode was shocking for all of us. We NEVER expected something like that to happen at the end. We had seen Cartman digging up Kyle's uncle's corpse, we had seen him do some bad stuff...but we never ever expected him to KILL two people just to get revenge.

But let me also clarify that Cartman did not murder Scott's parents: Jimbo did. Cartman set up the death trap, essentially.

Now yes, that WAS evil as hell, and funny, because it was so shocking. Ever since then, Matt and Trey have made the mistake of making that the norm for Cartman, to be "evil." It's no longer shocking once Cartman murders 20 people (in COLD BLOOD no less). He did NOT murder Scott's parents in cold blood.

Junior Detectives was a hilarious episode and Cartman didn't murder anybody. He just watched people get murdered and played pretend cop like any kid would. I don't see how that's so outlandish.


LilNugget wrote:Cartman self-deludes himself to avoid his own reality, he's been doing that since season one (BEEFCAKE!). And the show has always gone and made fun of anyone and anything M+T can think up, I'm not sure which show you've been watching.

When did I argue against the show making fun of "anyone and anything" M&T can think up? Classic example of the straw man argument here, folks.

I'm not SAYING that the show has to be realistic. It's a cartoon for Christ's sake. But even the South Park universe has an inner logic. If Cartman were to murder Kyle in one of the episodes, that would be ridiculous, wouldn't it?

Matt and Trey set out to make a show that realistically portrays what it's like to be a 3rd grader. I'm sorry, but having Cartman go out and kill people willy-nilly (doesn't he kill Sarah Jessica Parker in this f*cking season as well?) does not do that.

Matt and Trey have forgotten who Eric Cartman was. Trey always talked about the "sweetness" deep inside every boy, even Cartman...it's gone. Maybe "The Death of Eric Cartman" really was the death of Eric Cartman?

kieranic wrote:Voice-acting? If you think Matt and Trey can't voice act anymore, there really is something wrong with you. They do their voices and voice-acting incredibly well, something many people (like me) wish they could do.

1. Cartman doesn't sound like a child.
2. Stan's voice has changed for the worse, so has Kyle's.
3. Trey's voice has had some wear-and-tear in general.
4. Matt Stone's voice is much less versatile than it used to be.

Their voice acting has gone downhill in general. This is obvious because you can barely tell the difference between Stan and Cartman sometimes, because Trey's not doing a good enough job inflecting. You can't tell the difference between Kyle and Butters sometimes either.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
VACOOLA
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby VACOOLA » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:10 pm

Brendle wrote:We had seen Cartman digging up Kyle's uncle's corpse

You mean Kyle's grandma in ep. 312?

Brendle wrote:But let me also clarify that Cartman did not murder Scott's parents: Jimbo did.

You mean the crazy redneck farmer Mr. Denkins?

Brendle wrote:Trey always talked about the "sweetness" deep inside every boy, even Cartman...

He did? Always? :shock: How about a couple of quotes of Trey saying that?
joshferrell
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby joshferrell » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm just hoping threads like this,and others that have been popping up on here lately,about how bad SP has gotten doesn't discourage Matt and Trey from resigning their contract next time around, they may hear of these threads (since ,I guess they don't read them) and may say "fine if the fans don't like the show anymore then we'll just stop making them"..personally I still love SP and think it's one of the most intellectualy funny shows out there and I always look forward to seeing what surprises they have in store for us each week,to be honest with you I don't really see/hear that much of a change in the characters voices/personality since season 3..
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18913
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby Big-Will » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Brendle wrote:Trey always talked about the "sweetness" deep inside every boy, even Cartman...it's gone.

What are you, a revisionist? Let me quote Mr. Parker for you...

Trey Parker wrote:There's this whole thing out there about how kids are so innocent and pure. That's bullsh*t, man. Kids are malicious little f*ckers. They totally jump on any bandwagon and rip on the weak guy at any chance. They say whatever bad word they can think of. They are total f*cking bastards, but for some reason everyone has kids and forgets about what they were like when they were kids.

— RS 780

And that was in the first year the show was on the air!
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Karlfred
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby Karlfred » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Brendle wrote:1. Cartman doesn't sound like a child.
2. Stan's voice has changed for the worse, so has Kyle's.
3. Trey's voice has had some wear-and-tear in general.
4. Matt Stone's voice is much less versatile than it used to be.

Their voice acting has gone downhill in general. This is obvious because you can barely tell the difference between Stan and Cartman sometimes, because Trey's not doing a good enough job inflecting. You can't tell the difference between Kyle and Butters sometimes either.


This is understandable. Parker and Stone have gotten older, and as a result, their voices have become less versatile. Yes it is disappointing, but there is nothing they can change about that.

However, the plots/jokes/content/scripts are something they CAN change, and I know they can do better than what we've gotten for this season so far. In terms of the show evolving, I could see that happening gradually from seasons say 1-11, to where the jokes shifted from the classic witty southpark humor to more political, au courant. But now, the jokes have become trivial and banal. It seems Parker and Stone don't put the love into their show as much as they used to, that they no longer care. The episodes seem like they were put together in 10 minutes, with immature, shallow, insensitive and poorly written jokes - I used to laugh until my stomach hurt, now I shake my head in disappointment when watching this show, I rarely even chuckle. There's no INTELLIGENCE behind their humor anymore. I think seasons 12 and 13 were ok, there were several episodes I really liked - especially 1303 (margaritaville) which was one of my all time favorites and full of that clever, satirical - subtle humor I love southpark for. This season has been a huge disappointment with the KFC episode being the only passable episode so far, in my opinion. And after that whole issue with the Islamic radicals and ComedyCentral's censorship, the show took another huge dip downhill.
Last edited by Karlfred on Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby Brendle » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:56 am

VACOOLA wrote:
Brendle wrote:We had seen Cartman digging up Kyle's uncle's corpse

You mean Kyle's grandma in ep. 312?

Brendle wrote:But let me also clarify that Cartman did not murder Scott's parents: Jimbo did.

You mean the crazy redneck farmer Mr. Denkins?

Yeah, okay. I saw these episodes about 10 years ago when they first aired and haven't seen much of them since. Details are sketchy.

I do remember Jimbo featuring in the Scott Tenorman episode. And I do remember Cartman digging up Kyle's RELATIVE's corpse. Does it matter, anyway? Way to ignore the CRUX of my post.

VACOOLA wrote:
Brendle wrote:Trey always talked about the "sweetness" deep inside every boy, even Cartman...

He did? Always? :shock: How about a couple of quotes of Trey saying that?

I hear him saying it all the time. Check the Playboy interview. Also, on the Wikipedia page for "South Park:"

While profane, and with a tendency to sometimes be cynical, Parker notes that there is still an "underlying sweetness" aspect to the child characters,[38] and Time described the boys as "sometimes cruel but with a core of innocence".[7]

Here's a hilarious bit from Cartman's Wikipedia article:

In the season five (2001) episode "Scott Tenorman Must Die", Cartman, feeling cheated out of $16.12 by a local ninth-grader named Scott Tenorman, successfully executes an elaborate scheme to publicly humiliate Scott in front of his favorite band Radiohead, but not before murdering his parents and then tricking him into eating them.[32] The show's writers debated during production of the episode as to whether or not the incident would be "a step too far, even for Cartman".[5]

They were debating over whether it was a "step too far"...where are the debates now? Are they debating over whether Cartman would murder Sarah Jessica Parker, hold people at gunpoint, murder innocent NASCAR fans? There's no debate anymore because they forgot that even Cartman has limitations. A GOOD television character has limitations and boundaries. Oh, and here:

Parker felt that the act could sufficiently be the culmination of Cartman's sociopathic behavior, and would "[set] a new bar" by portraying Cartman as being capable of performing anything short of murder.[5]

Well, it seems as if they've raised the bar even HIGHER and he's actually murdering people now.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
thellama73
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:36 am

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby thellama73 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:45 am

I completely agree with the original poster. I've been watching South Park since the beginning and I love it, but the last four or five seasons have really been a strain on me as a fan. I was hoping that this season would be a return to form since the Facebook ep and 200/201 were so good, but alas, it appears not.

When I watch episodes from season three (my favorite season) I roll on the floor with laughter even after all these years. Nowadays, I'm lucky if I get even one measly chuckle. The writing feels so stale and thoughtless. The most recent episode was nothing more than a pastiche of old ideas from previous episodes. They rely too much on pop culture references and current events, rarely coming up with an original storyline these days. The fact that the new episodes seem to be universally loved by the thirteen year olds on this board is equally depressing. I think the "one week" production schedule that allowed them to be so spontaneous in the beginning is no longer enough. Either that or they are just getting lazy.

You're right about the characters too. Cartman was always a bigoted racist, but he was a lovable bigoted racist. Watch Rainforest Schmainforest or The Red Badge of Gayness to see what I mean. Now he has no redeeming qualities. He used to succeed in everything he attempted (his christian rock group, his stem cell enterprise, his fight to get Kenny off life support, etc.) Now Trey and Matt just seem to like knocking him down again and again.

As much as I hate to say it, I'm kind of hoping season fifteen will be the last one.
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby Brendle » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:49 am

Good points, llama, but I think you're being a little harsh. The last FOUR or FIVE seasons?

The way I see it, Season 12 was the beginning of the decline, not Season 9 as you're implying. Season 9-11 had absolute GEMS: "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson," "Lice Capades," "Le Petit Tourette," "Imaginationland," "Guitar Queero," "Make Love Not Warcraft," "Smug Alert!", "The Death of Eric Cartman."

Whereas with Season 12..."Super Fun Time" and "Overlogging" were the only good episodes, and the rest were trash.

Season 13 sucked too.

But 12 and 13 were somewhat salvaged by one or two gems. Season 14 has NOTHING.

I remember M&T saying the moment they've lost it and they stop being funny, they should throw in the towel. I think it's about time, sadly.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests