South Park just isn't good anymore.

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18871
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby Big-Will » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:07 am

Brendle wrote:on the Wikipedia page for "South Park:"

While profane, and with a tendency to sometimes be cynical, Parker notes that there is still an "underlying sweetness" aspect to the child characters,[38]

The article [38] points to says that about the show, now about the kids in it:
South Park is often loud and lewd but it has an underlying sweetness. "We try to never be cynical," Stones says. "I think we're really optimistic, happy people, and we want the show to have an optimistic message."

"It's not like we have a formula," Parker adds, "but I think one of the reasons this show has survived is that it has a big heart at its centre. Other cartoon shows have people crap on each other and make racist jokes but I don't think people tune in for that. I just don't think a show lasts for 10 years without a heart."

....

and Time described the boys as "sometimes cruel but with a core of innocence".[7]

That's true as far as Stan and Kyle go, since they're modeled after Trey and Matt, lol.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
thellama73
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:36 am

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby thellama73 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:08 am

Brendle wrote:Good points, llama, but I think you're being a little harsh. The last FOUR or FIVE seasons?

The way I see it, Season 12 was the beginning of the decline, not Season 9 as you're implying. Season 9-11 had absolute GEMS: "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson," "Lice Capades," "Le Petit Tourette," "Imaginationland," "Guitar Queero," "Make Love Not Warcraft," "Smug Alert!", "The Death of Eric Cartman."

Whereas with Season 12..."Super Fun Time" and "Overlogging" were the only good episodes, and the rest were trash.

Season 13 sucked too.

But 12 and 13 were somewhat salvaged by one or two gems. Season 14 has NOTHING.

I remember M&T saying the moment they've lost it and they stop being funny, they should throw in the towel. I think it's about time, sadly.


Yeah, you're right. seasons 9 and 10 were mostly pretty good, now that I look. I really don't like much of anything in season 11 though except Imaginationland and With Apologies to Jesse Jackson. Season 12 is where things really got dire, with Super Fun Time being the only good episode in the entire season. I remember when season 12 came back after summer break with The China Probrem as the moment that alarm bells started going off in my head and I realized that South Park just wasn't the same. I still think it's their worst episode ever.
kieranic
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:33 am

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby kieranic » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:48 pm

Brendle wrote:
kieranic wrote:Voice-acting? If you think Matt and Trey can't voice act anymore, there really is something wrong with you. They do their voices and voice-acting incredibly well, something many people (like me) wish they could do.

1. Cartman doesn't sound like a child.
2. Stan's voice has changed for the worse, so has Kyle's.
3. Trey's voice has had some wear-and-tear in general.
4. Matt Stone's voice is much less versatile than it used to be.

Their voice acting has gone downhill in general. This is obvious because you can barely tell the difference between Stan and Cartman sometimes, because Trey's not doing a good enough job inflecting. You can't tell the difference between Kyle and Butters sometimes either.


I can easily tell the difference between Stan and Cartman, it must be something with your hearing because I can always tell the difference. Kyle and Butters? Seriously. Dude, thats a sh*t excuse. They're still good (although, I do admit Cartman's voice in the earlier seasons was much better).

They still sound like children too, I hear children with those sorts of voices around 10 years old (And the boys are 9 years old so close enough).
fixalicious1
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby fixalicious1 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:39 pm

Don't do drugs!
Last edited by fixalicious1 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Day is never finished, Master got me working, Someday master set me free!
fixalicious1
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby fixalicious1 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:48 am

Brendle... Wow you are a so Smart. For starts when you commented on two moments in cartmans history and both were wrong I was like man this guy knows his poo. He must know so much about the decline of south park though its series can't even remember the moments that made those episodes so great. Wow his opinions must matter as much as those parts do! As for your precious season 9, the one who's hotdog you can't get out of your mouth, I'm sure Eric never once did anything horrible. Like the time he tried having all non gingers exterminated cause he was a minority at the time, well that wasn't extreme. Or when Eric couldn't get a psp but his buddy had one and he tried to get the plug pulled on him to get it. What was his friend's name, no Brendle not Kyle, Kenny. If you had actually ever owned a season of South Park. Or remember when Eric drilled all those loser hippies up? Blood everywhere but that was ok I guess cause no one likes hippies. Except you ,Brendel, cause you are one.
Day is never finished, Master got me working, Someday master set me free!
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby Brendle » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:56 am

kieranic wrote:
Brendle wrote:
kieranic wrote:Voice-acting? If you think Matt and Trey can't voice act anymore, there really is something wrong with you. They do their voices and voice-acting incredibly well, something many people (like me) wish they could do.

1. Cartman doesn't sound like a child.
2. Stan's voice has changed for the worse, so has Kyle's.
3. Trey's voice has had some wear-and-tear in general.
4. Matt Stone's voice is much less versatile than it used to be.

Their voice acting has gone downhill in general. This is obvious because you can barely tell the difference between Stan and Cartman sometimes, because Trey's not doing a good enough job inflecting. You can't tell the difference between Kyle and Butters sometimes either.


I can easily tell the difference between Stan and Cartman, it must be something with your hearing because I can always tell the difference. Kyle and Butters? Seriously. Dude, thats a sh*t excuse. They're still good (although, I do admit Cartman's voice in the earlier seasons was much better).

They still sound like children too, I hear children with those sorts of voices around 10 years old (And the boys are 9 years old so close enough).

Whatever.

A lot of people agree that Cartman's voice sucks now.

The writing sucks, too.

Trey MUST be taking pills. I know he takes DayQuil. That's the only explanation for the following conversation taking place in the writers' room:

"hey matt wouldnt it be funnnnnny if we did a show about that laaaaaame MTV show...weeeee could make fun of the Newwwww Jerrrrrrsey accent..."

"yeh trey that would be funny"
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
thellama73
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:36 am

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby thellama73 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:17 pm

It's becoming increasingly clear that the Trey and Matt's writing method has become little more than turning on the TV and writing an epsiode about the first thing they see.

"What should the next episode be?"
"I don't know, let's see what's on." *click*
"Oh, it's Whale Wars/Ghost Hunters/Jersey Shore/The Dog Whisperer/Hoarders/24/NASCAR/Wrestling. Let's do that."
"Brilliant."

It's somewhat ironic that Family Guy, the show they criticize as having lazy writers had a brilliant debut this season, while South Park is just rehashing old jokes. (Don't get me wrong, I am no Family Guy fan and until recently have sided with South Park on the issue wholeheartedly.)
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby Brendle » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:14 pm

fixalicious1 wrote:Brendle... Wow you are a so Smart. For starts when you commented on two moments in cartmans history and both were wrong I was like man this guy knows his poo. He must know so much about the decline of south park though its series can't even remember the moments that made those episodes so great. Wow his opinions must matter as much as those parts do! As for your precious season 9, the one who's hotdog you can't get out of your mouth, I'm sure Eric never once did anything horrible. Like the time he tried having all non gingers exterminated cause he was a minority at the time, well that wasn't extreme. Or when Eric couldn't get a psp but his buddy had one and he tried to get the plug pulled on him to get it. What was his friend's name, no Brendle not Kyle, Kenny. If you had actually ever owned a season of South Park. Or remember when Eric drilled all those loser hippies up? Blood everywhere but that was ok I guess cause no one likes hippies. Except you ,Brendel, cause you are one.

Hey "fixalicious," you ever heard of PARAGRAPHS? Jesus Christ.

There's nothing more amusing than a butthurt South Park fan.

I am a "so smart"? Doesn't even make sense, dipshit.

Um, I was wrong about MINUTE DETAILS in the two moments of Cartman's history: the things I was right about were that he dug up a corpse and that he indirectly caused Tenorman's parents' deaths. As in...the IMPORTANT details. But idiots like you focus on the unimportant.

"He must know so much about the decline of south park though its series can't even remember the moments that made those episodes so great." First off, this makes little to NO sense, grammatically. And, WHAT? The fact that it was Kyle's grandma and not his uncle made the Korn episode so great? That's retarded. The Korn episode wasn't even great, idiot.

As for your precious season 9, the one who's hotdog you can't get out of your mouth, I'm sure Eric never once did anything horrible. Like the time he tried having all non gingers exterminated cause he was a minority at the time, well that wasn't extreme.

Admittedly, when I said seasons 9-11 were gold, I really meant seasons 10-11. I thought season 9 had mostly gold but I recently checked and it really doesn't. Blame my memory.

The Gingers episode you refer to sucked for that very reason: Cartman was sh*t in it.

"Best Friends Forever" and "The Death of Eric Cartman" were the brilliant episodes from that season.

Or when Eric couldn't get a psp but his buddy had one and he tried to get the plug pulled on him to get it. What was his friend's name, no Brendle not Kyle, Kenny.

Yeah...it was KENNY you goddamned retard. The guy who dies every other episode. And COMES BACK.

You're not killing someone if they come back anyway. It's like knocking someone unconscious for a while.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Zazaban
Posts: 3280
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:32 am

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby Zazaban » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:17 pm

Is this really such a big deal as to have such in-depth analysis of it? Some people are entertained still, some aren't, does it really matter so much? I mean, I agree with some of less vitriolic critiques, but some people are taking this just a bit too seriously.
Last edited by Zazaban on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18871
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby Big-Will » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:34 pm

thellama73 wrote:It's becoming increasingly clear that the Trey and Matt's writing method has become little more than turning on the TV and writing an epsiode about the first thing they see.

"What should the next episode be?"
"I don't know, let's see what's on." *click*
"Oh, it's Whale Wars/Ghost Hunters/Jersey Shore/The Dog Whisperer/Hoarders/24/NASCAR/Wrestling. Let's do that."
"Brilliant."

It's somewhat ironic that Family Guy, the show they criticize as having lazy writers had a brilliant debut this season, while South Park is just rehashing old jokes. (Don't get me wrong, I am no Family Guy fan and until recently have sided with South Park on the issue wholeheartedly.)

Dayum! That bears repeating!

Now, I've heard South Park "just isn't good anymore" ever since its first year on the air. There was once a web site called Jump the Shark which tracked the points at which shows "jumped the shark," or did something which they could never recover from. South Park has been jumping the shark in some form or other for years, and the shows mentioned in the post I quoted are merely another way South Park is jumping the shark yet again.

Unfortunately, TV Guide bought Jump the Shark and gutted it, so a new site, Bone the Fish, rose up to fill the spot Jump the Shark left behind, and here's the page for South Park: http://www.bonethefish.com/viewtopics.php?38. You can post complaints and compliments about the show there if you want.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
cWillll
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby cWillll » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:37 pm

I completely agree with what this guys has to say. The original episodes through the first 3 or 4 seasons were wayy funnier than they are today and cartman is completely different. You used to barely be able to understand cartman and he used to be dumb as hell and that's why is was so funny. And the sh*tty animation made it original and even better. Oh well
pojimp
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:34 pm

original ideals?

Postby pojimp » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:49 pm

dont get me wrong im a huge fan of sp, but ive noticed lately there have been alot more episodes involving current events and celeberties. yea its comedy, but i feel anyone could do that. with such a huge cast of characters on the show how come they cannot come up with something a little more original. do we really need every episode to be jam packed with the ppl that are already all over the tv. id love to see more of cartman and randy marsh instead of some dumb actor. like i said i enjoy sp but does anyone feel what im sayn
Jake, M'kay?
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby Jake, M'kay? » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:17 am

I think we can all agree that season 14 of South Park is about 100 times better than season 14 of The Simpsons. So there's that.
"If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, my illegal logging business succeeds ."

"I have only two modes, at war with something, or having sex with it. There is no middle ground"
ShaneHaughey
Posts: 11192
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:36 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby ShaneHaughey » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:44 am

Brendle wrote:IMO, South Park's prime was seasons 9-11, it had that perfect balance of humor and social commentary. So depressing that their heyday was only three years ago.

Season 11 was great, but for my money, season 9 was the worst season and season 10 was one of the worst. Season 9's two runs had lots of clunkers(Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina, Erection Day, Ginger Kids), a lot of episodes that don't suck abut are just absurdly forgettable, and only five episodes really worth watching. Season 10 was better, but the last four episodes were bad and there was one massive clunker(A Million Little Fibers).

I thought SP was finished then. I did. But S11 came along and kicked ass. Then 12 and 13, while not great seasons and often times forgettable, had great spots in them and did not have massive clunkers.

The show was at its peak 5-7.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
fixalicious1
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby fixalicious1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:35 am

Ha ha Brendle you super cool fag, you have been disapointed with SP for so long you still check the forum daily. God you're so awesome. Please share more!
Day is never finished, Master got me working, Someday master set me free!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests